• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Launch

Oct 27, 2017
Evil Dead Movies
Pet Sematary
Fright Night
Sleepwalkers
Fire in the Sky (For weeks I refused to sleep after watching this as a kid)
The Return of the Living Dead

Lenneth

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Mister Babadook
Housebound
Drag me to hell
Cabin in the woods

I have a lot of movies in mind but there are not what we could call "good scary movies" I guess.

I'm a big fan of this kind of films but all my BF were tired watching those with me.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Cabin in the woods its the perfect mix of playing itself straight and dark comedy should make it easier for your GF to enjoy.

OP
OP
RealCanadianBro

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haha. It's such a dumb movie but it makes me laugh every time.

Seriously though, The Descent is probably your best bet. It's probably my favorite horror movie of the last decade.

It's a super silly film.

So, I'm gonna go with The Decent, and if that's too much for her, I'll flip a coin for Tucker and Dale Vs Evil or Creepshow.

I'll update later today, thanks people!

Tanolen

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is the best horror movie. The dawn of the dead remake is pretty good. If you have any dollar theaters around I'd check out the new IT.

Ghrellin

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'll watch just about anything, but my G/F is very picky about horror films and her tolerance is very limited.

We've watched The Thing (she liked it), The Fly(didn't like it), will not watch Halloween or It (seen both of them as a child and she won't watch them again).

I'm kinda struggling because....well she enjoyed The Babadook and she still talks about it but she won't watch something like the Conjuring because that one gave her some nightmares.

SO I ask of ye, ERA. Help me out, lol.

I was thinking of putting on Krampus for us later after we watch a few episodes of Stranger Things S2.
What have you guys seen so far.. what's your preferred style of horror.. psychological, jump-scares?.. Let me know, I'll give u some suggestions

OP
OP
RealCanadianBro

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is the best horror movie. The dawn of the dead remake is pretty good. If you have any dollar theaters around I'd check out the new IT.

She really enjoyed The Thing, we watched it last year. She was rooting for the dog at the beginning the entire time until...well...yea lol. She had no idea what was gonna happen.

She also really enjoyed DotD remake when we watched it.

OP
OP
RealCanadianBro

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alien, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho those are good mainstream horror movies without too much gore.

She loved Psycho after we finished Bates Motel, she also really enjoyed Rear Window. She caught all the moments the Simpsons spoof'd, same thing when we watched Psycho and Cape Fear. Especially with Cape Fear, she caught on to the movie's theme song being SideShow Bob's theme before I realized they were one and the same.

So, she decided we are watching The Birds.

"We don't know what we're watching after The Birds. Will be sure to keep you all posted and let you know how the movie went. Cheep Cheep, Save Save...Brought to you by FreshCo." ----Her words.

Thanks again, people!

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm just going to post some of my favorites. I'll leave it up to you to check if it could be something your gf likes OP. I did this recently at the other place but of course that thread got deleted. i'm leaving out some obvious classics like The Exorcist, The Omen, etc

Eden Lake
The Descent
The House of the Devil (Ti West makes some good stuff, and this is his best)
Ils (Them)
Dog Soldiers
The Pact
The Witch
You're Next
As Above, So Below
28 Days Later
Let the Right One In
Kill List
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (not really that scary, but a gorgeous film in b/w)
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9
I Am A Ghost (this may be a bit too weird)
Noroi: The Curse
The Canal
Pontypool
[REC] 1 and 2
Grave Encounters
The Loved Ones
Wolf Creek
The Innkeepers
Housebound
Hush
The Strangers
Sinister 1
Would You Rather
Creep
The Wailing
I Saw the Devil

ERA, was Trick 'r Treat any good?

It's pretty popular but I didn't like it at all.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Does she like found footage horror? That's my favorite sub genre and there is a bunch on Netflix of it. I loved, Creep, And v/h/s on Netflix. I also loved the last exorcism On Hulu, but it might be gone now. If you like a little comedy in your horror then try out Bad Ben on amazon video free with prime. Horror movies that I love that are not on those services are Sinister, and The Exorcist. I haven't watched The Shining yet, but I know it's really good, so that's an option aswell. You're lucky she likes The Babadook, my fiancé thought it wasn't good. I was like da'faq girl?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Personally i like "The Strangers" and "Hush".
If you want a movie to make you feel really uncomfortable, try "Martyrs" from 2008, not the remake.
And I just bought "The autopsy of Jane Doe" due to a recommendation. Supposed to be good as well.

Dapplegrim

Oct 27, 2017
As some have said, The House of The Devil (2009) and The Witch are both solid recommendations, depending on how you are feeling.
My personal recommendation is The Wailing. It's a foreign film from South Korea, so you have to be cool with subs. One of the best horror films from recent years, just a rollercoaster the whole time. Surprisingly funny too!
You can trust me OP. Just look at my avatar.

OP
OP
RealCanadianBro

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reporting in, ERA.

So we watched The Birds, tried to watch The Descent but that didn't end up happening, so we finished off with 1922. I put on Tucker and Dale vs Evil, and although she snickered at the silliness of the corner store scene at the beginning, she fell asleep.

We were both really into the birds, but I found the actor playing Lydia super distracting, because she reminded me of the actor who played Lydia in Breaking Bad. Like, physically, their facial structure, I couldn't not help but see the two actors being related. It didn't take long for me to establish some head canon that both characters were related and The Birds took place in the BB universe xD.

Anyhow, yea loved it. We were both really surprised at how graphic the movie was and I wasn't expecting that level of violence for a movie made at that time. Great buildup, really liked how it focused on the characters, but every now and then there would be a reminder that shit was about to go down.

1922 was great and I hate that Thomas Jane doesn't do more work. Last movie I remember seeing him in was with Laurence Fishburne....Laurence was some type of assassin, Thomas lived in a house, and he was protecting the girl from South Paw.

Always, Jane chewed up the scenery in the movie, I didn't think he could completely transform into a character like that, but maybe that's just because of my limited exposure to his work. Everything about it was top notch. I haven't read the book but I enjoyed the movie. Some nice moments that made us both go "wtf!"

Again, thanks everyone for the lists and suggestions. Tomorrow we'll try Tucker and Dale again, and work our way up to nice and scary.