• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like random bits and pieces of the last 13 years of open world games. Not all the best bits, just random bits, good and bad.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
They were still very weak compared to the likes of TP, OOT, MM, being "much better" than bad isn't saying much.

The games pacing was all over the place with shoehorned stealth and triforce gathering

The bosses were completely forgettable and ridiculously easy. I can only give kudos to WW's Ganon who was cool. Though BOTW bosses aren't all that memorable either but at least some of them actually gave a challenge.

And the WW over-world was pretty much a barren landscape mostly used for extra padding especially for the triforce gathering, which is like the biggest detractor from the game, unlike BOTW which had a more sandbox like design and was denser in things to see and do.

Yeah man, I don't agree at all. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Something about Wind Waker just adores me, I love revisiting the game every few years.

I find Wind Waker's bosses to be extremely memorable, even 15 years after I first touched the game, so definitely don't agree with you on the forgettable point.

I will admit that I've always loved easy games though, I abhor playing games as a challenge (currently playing through Spiderman on the easiest difficulty, love how powerful I feel!). The real world is hard enough, I just want to jump into gorgeous games and escape, so Wind Waker being easy is a massive plus for me. BOTW's bosses being extremely similar visually was a massive, massive disappointment to me. I don't give a shit how "hard" they were (they weren't) when at the end of the day they're forgettable and incredibly lazy nearly cut/paste designs.

It's clear that BOTW appealed to you because it's a great open world game, whereas I significantly prefer more narrative focused and carrot-on-a-stick gameplay experiences, so I wasn't as big a fan of it. Glad you liked it though!

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
But you get to "experiment" with a puddle deep combat system where the main distinguishing factor is "big number". What fun!
The weapon durability mechanic was one of the big things that turned me off in regards to this one. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I didn't have to worry about that cool new weapon breaking in ten minutes.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
To quote a friend of mine: "I just played seven hours of Breath of the Wild and I have no idea if I got anything done or not."

It is a big warm blanket of a game, wrap yourself in it. Enjoy exploring a stark yet cozy open world that really wants you to stretch your legs and experiment with the mechanics instead of just furiously working through a checklist.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Nah, not when W3 is as clunky as it is. And it's clunky when it comes to the most basic things like movement and combat.

That automatically removes it from GOAT conversations.

That's is just a bug.. if we talk about removing games from the GOAT conversation.. well BOTW has no memorable story and is extremelty repetitive.. the combat is just basic and you can define the game as a survival experience with the name Zelda on it.

Take away the name Zelda from the game.. use another main character and the reviews would be closer to the 7 instead of 10's or 9's.

Nov 4, 2017
I kind of hated the Witcher 3.
I played BOTW before the Witcher 3 and actually just wrapped the Witcher 3 expansion a few days ago.
BOTW seems to respect the players intelligence and I feel like things just make sense in the games world in ways that may surprise you.

I hated the ubisoft influence on the Witcher 3 , but loved what BotW does with it because it takes the "hey explore this map" thing but doesn't really tell you a direction to go. You just find that yourself.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite game of 2017. Played through it twice, first on Wii U and then on Switch. I could see myself doing it again before BOTW2 drops. For what it's worth, this is what I usually share whenever these threads come up:

The game world gives me a sense of place and being like no other. It could be half the size or twice the size and I don't think my opinion would change, because everything is so harmonious and deliberately about the player's curiosity and desire to explore and discover. Moving through the world between each beat gives me time to reflect on what I've done, or to take a moment to appreciate the way the sun glistens off of each blade of grass, or to look up into the sky and see birds flying off into the distance.

This Roger Ebert/Hayao Miyazaki interview from 2002 really captures how BOTW nails this:

I told Miyazaki I love the "gratuitous motion" in his films; instead of every movement being dictated by the story, sometimes people will just sit for a moment, or they will sigh, or look in a running stream, or do something extra, not to advance the story but only to give the sense of time and place and who they are.

"We have a word for that in Japanese," he said. "It's called ma. Emptiness. It's there intentionally."

Is that like the "pillow words" that separate phrases in Japanese poetry?

"I don't think it's like the pillow word." He clapped his hands three or four times. "The time in between my clapping is ma. If you just have non-stop action with no breathing space at all, it's just busyness, But if you take a moment, then the tension building in the film can grow into a wider dimension. If you just have constant tension at 80 degrees all the time you just get numb."

Which helps explain why Miyazaki's films are more absorbing and involving than the frantic cheerful action in a lot of American animation. I asked him to explain that a little more.

"The people who make the movies are scared of silence, so they want to paper and plaster it over," he said. "They're worried that the audience will get bored. They might go up and get some popcorn.

But just because it's 80 percent intense all the time doesn't mean the kids are going to bless you with their concentration. What really matters is the underlying emotions--that you never let go of those.

What my friends and I have been trying to do since the 1970's is to try and quiet things down a little bit; don't just bombard them with noise and distraction. And to follow the path of children's emotions and feelings as we make a film. If you stay true to joy and astonishment and empathy you don't have to have violence and you don't have to have action. They'll follow you. This is our principle."

Entire interview here: http://www.rogerebert.com/interviews/hayao-miyazaki-interview

If every moment in BOTW was compressed and nonstop one after the other like so many other open-worlders, you'd be left with a pretty tiring game. It's the moments between that contribute greatly to what makes this game special and memorable.

It's a hard thing to unlearn, which is why it makes me sad when people say that Studio Ghibli films are slow and boring to them.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The weapon durability mechanic was one of the big things that turned me off in regards to this one. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I didn't have to worry about that cool new weapon breaking in ten minutes.
I've been watching the discourse about the game play out for 2 years now, and not once have I come across a good argument for the system being the way it is.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
If you like adventurous exploration that doesnt hold your hand at all,if you like a huge and unique handcrafted open world map, if you like approaching combat scenarios and obstacles in multiple ways and generally if you want an epic adventure,this is the game for you

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether you love BotW or hate it, I guarantee you most people are at least glad they experienced it. So yeah, play it. Maybe you'll love it, maybe you won't. But play it.

Jan 11, 2018
It's one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever played as a huge fan of the Zelda series. It has it's moments... The beginning and ending are amazing, with moments of brilliance in between. But man, what a slog of a game. Weak ass main dungeons with lame boss battles. Barely any story. Hit or miss shrines. Terrible weapon degradation system. Pathetic enemy variety. Huge world with vast expanses of nothingness. Awful rewards for clearing enemy strongholds. Underwhelming minigames. I'd rather play Skyward Sword, which was a legit great game with purposeful and focused design, 10 times over than touch BotW again. Lets hope the sequel improves on all it's shortcomings.

ciD_Vain

Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
What I liked about the game was that it was truly open after the initial tutorial section, The Great Plateau. It really respects the player's time and allows you to play as slowly or quickly as you want. While the game isn't very story-driven, the various characters that are part of the story are done pretty well. It has really cool physics and elements systems that can make for some creative scenarios. There aren't traditional dungeons like previous Zelda games. In its place are over a hundred puzzle rooms that can range from 5-15 minute completion time and can be done in any order. There are a few "dungeons" with boss fights that are tied to the story and can also be done in any order. You can go straight to the end game within the first 1-2hrs of starting the game if you want too, though it will be difficult.

There's also this extremely satisfying combat mechanic:
76jUj091NbsrK.gif

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Pro Tip: Buy a retail copy of a game if you don't know if you like it. You can resell Nintendo games with minimal losses.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
It's a great game, well worth your time.
Not sure how it ranks with the other Zelda games since it was my first and so far the only Zelda game I played.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
how about buying it and giving it a shot? decide for yourself. if you don't like it then trade it in. i'm sure you can get a copy for a reasonable price.

it's an open world with little hand holding and that requires some thinking to solve many puzzles. it's not really comparable to The Witcher 3 which has you running around for quest markers, listening to people talk, and is much heavier story wise. there is a story to BOTW but told through flashbacks and dialogue. there are cutscenes but no where near the amount in Witcher. also depending on how you want to play BOTW isn't as long. but if you want it to last then you can take your time. I beat the entirety of Witcher 3 in about 150 hours. You can finish BOTW in about 50 hours or if you take your time about 100. if you want to do absolutely everything it can take up to about 200 hours.

i've been playing it since it launched and just can't get enough of it. one of the best games ever made imo.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This review is pretty exhaustive, probably a little bit too much for someone who just wants a push to know if they should buy the game, but I haven't seen a better review than this and it should definitely have everything you need to decide one way or the other:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why should we care that you are missing out on the best game of this generation? Its your loss, not ours.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
the Witcher 3 bored me after 7 hours. BotW hooked me for over 140. But yeah there's plenty online for you to make an informed decision.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I've just bought a Switch and started BOTW today. Seems OK, not seeing why everyone thinks it's the best game ever, not yet at least.

I hate that characters aren't voiced and the story seems a bit generic so far.

The physics based systems seem like the cool part but I've only been to the introductory dungeons so far.

Stamina is annoying but I'll get used to it. Combat sucks but I put that down to the joycons being too small and button mapping feeling weird. Hopefully I get used to it. Is there a lock on system that I haven't found yet? That might help.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you just have a game where you'd wish you could do this to yourself just to experience it all over again for the first time:

BotW is such a game. That first playthrough is just something else.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I've put 125 hours into BOTW and I still have things I want to do and places on the map I wanna see. Poor Zelda is still waiting for me in her castle :'(

But definitely the game of the generation for me. What makes me love it is that apart from the opening hours you aren't given any objectives that you have to complete in any order. Also the fact that you can climb everything, which gives the game a more real 3D world instead of the more flat one compared to most other open world games. Like you can see places in the distance and be like "I can go there/I can climb that".

The story might be lacking, but the feeling of adventure isn't.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not nearly as crazy about BotW as others, but if you own a Switch you should check it out.

If you don't like it, trade it in. Resale value should still be good.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
If you enjoy exploration you will like BotW

If you prefer a more linear game with focused design and good combat find something else

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching the discourse about the game play out for 2 years now, and not once have I come across a good argument for the system being the way it is.
TBF if the discourse is anything like every time I've read a thread about it, you'd be hard pressed to come across a good argument for anything over the past two years.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good system, I'm just saying it's really really bad discourse.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
70 hours of gameplay is not getting bored easily lol
Anyways no, you're not going to be playing it 100s of hours if you get bored easily. You'll definitely get a lot out of it though

Hyrule Field

Nov 28, 2019
Probably it's the game I played the most in my whole life. More than 300 hours.
I always say it's a masterpiece but at the same time only a decent Zelda. I missed a lot of Zelda classic features, first of all it's lore

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
BOTW does some things really good, and some things really bad, and some things just okay. The things it does well are sort of new to the conventional 3D Zelda games, and the things it does bad are many of the traditional elements from those games. So if you aren't a fan of the series you will probably like BOTW. Its still a Zelda game, but not the kind I fell in love with.

Oct 25, 2017
I've put 100 hours into BotW across two playthroughs.

I don't know about selling you on it, OP. But this thread is making me want to fire it up for a third playthrough.