• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
The digital version is $40 on Amazon.

So, I get bored easily... The Witcher 3 is in my on-hold list since forever after ~70 hours of playing.
Will I enjoy BOTW for hundreds of hours?

Thank you.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
If only there were reviews or discourse about Breath of the Wild on the internet, but it's such an under-the-radar game. Not a lot of people talked about it.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I thought the game was boring and hated how weapons break so easily. If you get bored easily I would avoid. Of course tons of people will disagree with me though, which is fine. Just my two cents.

Edit: For more context I didn't like The Witcher 3 all that much either.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
If you like exploring an expansive open world with overall minor hand holding, and a game that focuses on gameplay mechanics and immersion than story telling, then it is for you.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you want a game where the mechanics will quite frequently result in moments of "I wonder if this works..." and it working out, alongside a good world and some nice adventure beats then I'd go for it. I still remember dropping apples by the fire to roast them, then wondering if you dipped your bow into the campfire to make a fire arrow and then shoot an apple from a tree if... yep - roasted apple. These were my favourite moments throughout the game and it does well in rewarding curiosity and trial and error, which makes exploration and creativity very satisfying.

OP
OP
Alanood

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
You played a game that you didn't like enough to finish for 70 hours and you think you get bored easily?
SilkyMeatyEyra-size_restricted.gif

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I can't, the further away from BOTW I get the less I like it.

I'm hoping BOTW 2 is a bit tighter and has a stronger focus on narrative and dungeons, but considering everyone and their mom liked BOTW I'm probably going to be disappointed.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I've played for a total of 180-200 hours and I'm still not tired of it. I still see new things. You can seek tough enemies, relax and collect items, and everything in between. It's a huge world to explore and it's fun to get lost in! I still feel like we'd need to know more about your tastes to recommend it though.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's an interesting beast. An open-world game with such a minimalistic approach but layers of depth in basically every detail.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play BOTW for 100 hours

That being said it's the best Zelda game and the best game of the generation. It'll keep you entertained for as long as you like to see more.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Look, it's one of the best Switch games out there, even for someone who might not necessarily be a Zelda fan, what more do you need?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

No, and you're not really supposed to. Some people do, and I have no idea what they're doing for hundreds of hours.

It's a 50-70 hour game if you do everything, and less if you don't. The game can be beaten basically whenever you feel like it.

Get it.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's got:
- A cumbersome durability mechanic behind weapons
- Related to the above, alot of inventory management
- Only handful of actual dungeons, none of which can stand with any of the great dungeons in the series
- Fairly dull combat outside of a couple specific enemy types
- Way too many combat-only shrines
- A disappointing final dungeon and boss/ending sequence
- A lack of item/tool variety

And after all of this, it's still one of the best games ever. Just buy it, it's universally praised for a reason. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as most, and even I would tell anyone who had a Switch - play BOTW. It's a great experience.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can find all of Best of the Worst on the redlettermedia youtube channel for free

Not sure if its hundreds of hours worth of content but if you like watching a bunch of goobers do the legwork for you in finding bad movies its not a bad way to go honestly

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah it may not be everybody's GOAT game, but it belongs on every single ballot. It's a truly remarkable game that will invite you to explore every single nook and cranny through its meticulously designed geography. If you go into BOTW with an idea of what an "open world" game is, you'll leave knowing that you've never played one before this. If you see something, you can go there. If you think you can do something, you can. It's a living, breathing world and it's gameplay is pure, emergent bliss. It's also YOUR adventure. Within the first area of the game, you'll be given your final objective. Where you go and what you do prior to that is 100% up to you. There are no obligations and no expectations. You're not on a linear path. Just go and do. The game will react accordingly.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Since you're into turn-based RPG's I'd just recommend Dragon Quest XI S instead if you haven't played it already (and if it's on sale too). It's the best game I've played on Switch so far.

Feb 10, 2018
It's the best game ever made! You need this game! It has vast open world where you can go ANYWHERE! the graphics are beautiful, there the best! BUY BOTW NOWWWWWW!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you seeing this for $40 on Amazon. It is $50 for me searching in the US...

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
It's basically Windwaker 2.0, with better pro's, more fun exploration, but the same cons, weak dungeons.

Definitely among the top 3 Zelda games though

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pay me money, and I'll sell it to you. You prefer digital or physical copy?

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Skip it. It's the kind of game people act like is better than it actually is for two reasons:

1. It was a console launch game
2. It's a Zelda game.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, as it's not, but if you get bored easily it's probably not a game for you. Also ask yourself if you enjoy tedious game mechanics.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Given the lack of initiative you've already shown, maybe a game like BotW isn't for you.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
No one mention the terrible weapon break system.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I went into BotW expecting a standard Zelda and spent the next five hours disliking the experience and trying to force myself to like it. At a certain point I abandoned my idea of "mainlining" the game and started exploring and climbing mountains just to see what was in the world and where I could go. That is when I fell in love. The game is a beautiful and relaxing experience that encourages and welcomes players to experiment with the systems, explore the world, and partake in a true adventure game unlike any made before it.

Miyamoto says that the original Zelda was inspired by his childhood adventures through the hills and mountains of Japan. I think Breath of the Wild is the first Zelda game to completely fulfill that vision. It's a game that's fundamentally more about the journey than it is about the destination.

The lack of standard Zelda dungeons is lamentable, but I don't think that takes away from the game's quality. Rather than a simple lock-and-key system that most Zelda dungeons operate under, the dungeons are a way to interact with and creatively explore the games systems of fire, electricity, wind, and ice.

I could go on, but I think BotW is a unique experience that everyone should try, though it might not stick with those who prefer more structured games.

Addendum: I think the weapon durability system is a positive for the game and encouraged me to think creatively on my feet when fighting enemies.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it depends on your personality, honestly.

do you like to make your own fun? can you just let your attention be grabbed by a digital world happening around you? do you like feeling out the rules of a world and then try to bend or pull them to your own desires? do you like exploring scenery and playing a survival-lite mini-game of collecting resources and managing health between reliable and predictable but still risky battles? do you like Zelda games?

do you like collecting weapons? Like lots and lots of weapons? Maybe even developing a weapon collecting psychological fear of not having enough copies of strong metal weapons and one non-metal weapon?

do you fear not being a walking full arsenal who incidentally carries around a fully stocked grocery store on their backs?

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The digital version is $40 on Amazon.

So, I get bored easily... The Witcher 3 is in my on-hold list since forever after ~70 hours of playing.

Thank you.
eh maybe?

Can definitely see someone getting bored of it if you dropped TW3 after 70 hours but the moment to moment gameplay is definitely more engaging in BOTW than TW3

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
BotW taught me that I really just don't like the vast majority of open-world games. Progress felt so slow (rewards tend to be very minor) which in turn made exploration feel pointless. It feels like it's more for the kind of person who just likes to mess around in games. For reference, my favorite game genres tend to be difficult, linear JRPGs and score-attack arcade games.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
It's basically Windwaker 2.0, with better pro's, more fun exploration, but the same cons, weak dungeons.

Definitely among the top 3 Zelda games though

I don't agree with BOTW being Wind Waker 2.0 at all. Wind Waker has MUCH better dungeons that are full of fun, memorable characters, and it has some great locations. BOTW has blue LED rooms, more blue LED rooms, and even more blue LED rooms, boring, bland characters (again, writing sure ain't he game's strongpoint).

Wind Waker is probably one of the most narrative filled Zeldas (I'd say it's tied with TP and beaten by Majora's Mask), whereas BOTW is one of the least.