• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I've always liked fighting games.

However I haven't ever committed to one and gotten really good at it.

Smash doesn't count here as I'm very good at it.

I mean classic style. Side by side. Was always a fan of Mortal Kombat but always liked the aesthetics of Street Fighter.

What's a fighting game that I could get into, come back to, pick up and play as a casual fan? Something not frustrating but takes a bit of finesse?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
...Street Fighter V?

Practically all of them really. I'm not sure I follow completely, but since you mention Street Fighter specifically....

Like Tekken doesn't teach you shit but you say as a "casual fan" so would you really care about learning the game and improving?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Killer Instinct has good tutorials and pretty easy inputs. Also the in game movelists actually give all the relevant information about the moves.

Oct 27, 2017
As a fan of Mortal Kombat I think you'll enjoy Injustice 2 Legendary Edition. Lots of singleplayer and multiplayer content, great fanservice, and a loot system that functions as an addictive carrot on a stick.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert but I'd say SF5 if you want to play online or Injustice 2 if you want to play solo.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Well, you said you like Mortal Kombat. MKX is really cheap, since MK11 is coming soon. Injustice 2 could be good one, since it plays a bit like MK. I still play it every day to get some coins and boxes with loot. There's story mode, multiverse with constantly rotating ladders, guilds.

In general, my daily routine is mostly fighters:

Switch: SNK Heroines; survival until beaten to earn currency. Some Blade Strangers amd Pocket Rumble.

PS4: King of Fighters IV; random matches against CPU. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Skullgirls, Guilty Gear Xrd (episode), Tekken 7 (Treasute Battle)

XBO: Virtua Fighter 5; random matches using Brad just wraring underwear. XD

Vita: Some quick matches in Street Fighter x Tekken, Dead or Alive 5+

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
NRS games if you wanna play solo, they're packed with content. DBFZ if you want something thats really easy to pick up

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Soul Calibur 6...

if you are bored with the fighting, you can always recreate almost any character in the character creation mode.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sounds like you want a 2D fighter, but based on what you're asking for, Tekken 7 fits the bill the most for me. Could never get into SF.
Soul Calibur is a good recommendation as well. Super simple to pick up casually and get a feel for without having to dig in to training mode or move lists.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
SFV, MKX, and Injustice have you covered. A lot of single player stuff to do in those games. SFV probably has much less than the other two, but you'll have fun learning the game, doing the challenges and the Arcade mode is really well done. It helps that the game feels nice too.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
If you can, jump into one when it launches so you can play online when the game has the highest amount of people at multiple skill levels so the game won't just be dominated by experts.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Street Fighter V and only play casual matches online. You'll never rank up but that way you'll only ever be matched up with rookie/bronze players. You can play in your leisure, take time away and whenever you come back you should still be able to hang in there and compete at the rookie/bronze level as long as you at the very least can do the basic moves.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
SC6, SFV, and DBFZ are all very accessible in terms of execution (basic combos and movement are easy in them), so I'd say any of those myself. I think SC6 is the least frustrating out of them myself but any of them should be fine for you.

If you find yourself wanting something a little more open, give BBTag a look too next time it's on sale. There's a lot of room to experiment in it, and it's surprisingly fun.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball FighterZ or Soul Calibur VI. You could try Street Fighter V, but the Fight Money economy is completely borked now.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
SFV. Street Fighter is and always will be the quintessential fighting game. Folks at Capcom invented what we know about fighting games in general. Smash has Ryu and Ken for a reason.
On top of that sound, graphics/animation, playability, music is top notch in SFV. Street Fighter is a rare case where style and substance are equally sophisticated.
Tekken 7 is the best 3D fighting game if you want that.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Street Fight V
Tekken 7
Guilty Geard Xrd Rev2

I think the best for casual is Tekken 7. Some people say it's really hard to learn but i disagree.

Like, you can jump online and tread water at the low levels using very simple strategy. The game itself will teach you nothing but theres not a lot you need to know to have a great time with it.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] still has a great tutorial to wrap your brain around the fundamentals in 2D fighters, as well as the games mechanics.