• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you fall on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs?

• Physiological

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Safety

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Belongingness and Love

Votes: 53 29.9%
  • Esteem

Votes: 44 24.9%
  • Self-Actualization

Votes: 41 23.2%

• Total voters

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maslow-5.jpg

I'd guess most of you were introduced to this at some point in high school or college. But if you weren't, Maslow's Hierarchy is a model of human desires. Supposedly lower level needs like hunger, thirst, shelter, must be met before higher order needs can be fulfilled.

The highest tier of the pyramid is self actualization which is defined as "to become more and more what one is, to become everything that one is capable of becoming." Or in other words, to fulfill all of one's potential.

Where would you say you currently fall on the pyramid? Have you ever been on a higher tier than you currently are now? What would it take for you to become self actualized?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm single, but I still feel like I'm in the 'belongingness and love' tier. I'm not really interested in romantic relationships, but I have a strong relationship with family, have enough close friends, and feel that my social needs are being met.

So yeah, I think I'm good on the bottom 3.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've got parts of all the tiers but the last so I dunno.

I hate maslow.

"the study of crippled, stunted, immature, and unhealthy specimens can yield only a cripple psychology and a cripple philosophy." On why he only based his work on healthy elite achievers

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Like I imagine many on here, I've passed the basic needs but am still trying to climb past the psychological needs. That said, I feel like I'm making good progress there and don't have them entirely unmet, so I sort of feel like I'm tackling the self-fulfillment needs as well and just multitasking.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This is kinda hard to answer and I don't remember seeing this in HS or College. I feel like I got the lower three tiers on lock, top two not so much. I strive for mediocrity so par the course.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I had basic needs met and was struggling hard with psychological needs, now it's all in flux again.

edit: I'm struggling the worst with belongingness and love needs. I saw my friends for the first time in almost a year including my best friend at a wedding on Saturday.. My depression kicked in hard the next day because I couldn't get past the fact that all my friends have moved on with life and I'm basically an afterthought.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck everything except the fucking top. I need Self-Actualization and esteem more than all else.

Jun 22, 2019
Does lack of health care fall under physiological?
Because a ton of people from the US don't have sufficient access to health care.

Once I stopped qualifying for free state-sponsored health insurance, I had to stop looking for depression medication (the several I tried during that period didn't work) and currently I just basically have to cruise along with my MDD/dysthymia best I can. Fortunate that I don't have any other life-endangering health conditions, as then I'd have to just die I guess.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My basic needs are fully met. I also have a loving girlfriend and family but my friendships need some work due to me pouring everything into achieving my basic needs over the last year and neglecting parts of my social life.

As far as esteem needs and self-actualization, it's difficult to say. I think I do good and important work as a journalist but for most of us young ones, there isn't that much prestige in the job anymore. The pay isn't amazing and we're regularly subjected to harassment and accusations (as I had to be reminded of yesterday...). There's little to be done here for someone who wants to work in journalism.

Sadly, most of my creative avenues like theatre and writing have fallen by the wayside lately. I'd love to write more for myself and do theatre again but alas...

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Physiological is met. Safety too, but it's dependant on other people so it's not self-met.

I'm working two jobs right now (and some stuff on the side) so I can get the basic needs locked and actually live a life. Right now I can't afford anything over the basic needs.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm unstable on literally every level of the hierarchy. But the biggest two atm are safety and belonging. I've got a lot falling apart on me right now.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm fully unsure as to whether I have the love and belonging I need or if I'm searching for it.

I'll never achieve self-actualization though. That ship has long since sailed

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Solidly in self actualization. Family, Love, Safety, Food, Shelter, Self Respect, etc are all things I have and I focus my time on maximizing them and doing the things I truly love.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Esteem needs means that I want prestige and acomplishment or that I've already have them? Because depending I am in that level, or the one below.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I feel like I'm going to sound dumb, but to me self actualization is different than becoming all that you can be. I dunno probably not making sense.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Everything is met besides belongingness and love. It doesn't interest me and it gets in the way.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck everything except the fucking top. I need Self-Actualization and esteem more than all else.

Yeah this is somewhat how I feel too, and it ain't because I think I have all the other blocks perfectly squared away. I'll grant basic physiological needs b/c definitely not everyone has that. But other than that I feel at least slightly insecure in every other category but I still feel self-actualization is ultimately the most important to me.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
Self actualisation is easier attainable when the basic needs are met, i.e. the first two tiers and once met, people will fall into a combination of the top three as a their base of motivation. You can get to self actualistion by achieving each step but some are just wired to self actualise, able to make sacrifices of themselves for others and the community at large even at the worst of times because of the motivation to strive for something much bigger than themselves.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is somewhat how I feel too, and it ain't because I think I have all the other blocks perfectly squared away. I'll grant basic physiological needs b/c definitely not everyone has that. But other than that I feel at least slightly insecure in every other category but I still feel self-actualization is ultimately the most important to me.

Gotta live up to your potential, right? Let's go get em!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Seeing as Maslow put sex into the bottom tier of physiological needs, and seeing as I'm asexual, I'm clearly a broken human being who can't even meet their body's basic needs.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I'm basically at the top, or at least, that's where I put most of my efforts these days and the bottom rungs can fuck off while I work.

Like that third rung? Relationships and shit? I just ignore that one. I'm ace though, which makes it easier.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
self actualization is the only one i care about besides basic needs

i suppose i'm at the second rung though if i must abide by this pyramid

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Who is Maslow, what was his methodology and when was this model published?

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I have the basic needs. Everything else is a mess, and will never be fixed. I've made peace with it.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Basic needs are met.

Psychological needs are somewhat. Great relationship with my wife and couldn't ask for better. Could probably use more outside friends though.

Waiver on esteem and feeling of accomplishment all the time. Feel superhuman some days and others wholly inadequate. For my career I usually feel a bit lacking compared to others that I really admire but that's probably expected.

I'm not sure I'll ever feel like I've reached full potential. I'll always question my career choices or path in life or just how much I've done to further those and think I could do more.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Self fulfillment, I guess. I don't have a romantic relationship, but I have a lot of platonic love and intimate friendships, so I feel fairly content on that level. I also feel I have a decent level of confidence and self esteem. Kind of feels good to have this to put my existence in perspective, actually.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The basics are met. I don't give a single fuck about "Self-actualization" and "Self-esteem" (as portrayed in this image at least). As for "the love and belongliness", i'd like to find love but i don't really care for friends and i don't really see what "belongliness" as to do with it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Somewhat at Esteem? No girlfriend and safety is spotty at best but I have reached a level in my field where people lnow ke within the city and I do have a sense of accomplishment in being able to find a job anywhere because of that.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wholly lazy so I just have sex all the time
It's pretty comfy
Love needs I guess I landed on
I don't belong and I never will
I waltz and slow jam to my own power Ballard
Fuck everything else

CMDBob

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield
I'd say self-actualisation, as I'm really developing my full potential, as I have a paid for PhD scholarship (with bursary) and my other needs in the hierarchy are met. I'm not even close to being fully developed, but I am developing it; and that's all I can do really.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I've met my esteem needs but I feel like I haven't reached my full potential yet. So I guess I'm in the process of making my way to the top?

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm workin on the prestige part.

Dudes. Recoignize me.

I already creative though. Just lazy. I mean, I can start whenever I want. I swear.

NOW LET'S DO THIS ONE, MORE COMPLEX MORE FUN!

Spiral Dynamics!!!
btw, I made this up, but the level after tuquoise is the "MEME Self" one where your self is your brand and you become a viral/meme entity with little control as your get reified, dissected, and replicated by others. We're not all at this stage yet, but many of us do witness it happening. Maybe the colour should be Internet Grey. Kinda depressing.

1wYAP.jpg

Last edited: