• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

The first season of the TV adaptation of Disney's Tangled ended just last week. and after a somewhat slow start, it finished in a pretty impressive way.

Tangled: the Series is 2D, and really, after seeing how the characters and world look here, it's kind of hard to go back to the movie. The art style is very charming and the animation is really well done. All the voice actors from the movie return, and they still play their characters perfectly. The new characters are handled pretty well themselves, including the third lead, lady-in-waiting who wishes to be a soldier Cassandra, and Tumblr's favorite, awkward alchemist Varian.

The starting special, "Before Ever After" (which should be seen before what's labeled the first episode), takes place between the movie and the wedding short and features Rapunzel coming across strange spikes where the flower that gave her her powers used to grow. After touching them, she regains her long hair and the spikes start appearing around the kingdom.

After the first episode, "What the Hair?!", this storyline with the spikes mostly goes into the background, resulting in many slice of life episodes where Rapunzel and Eugene (AKA Flynn) adjust to living in the kingdom. Though many of these are fun, the animation remains fantastic, there are several hilarious moments, and they're a bit more continuity heavy than one would expect, it seemed like they were playing things very safe with the franchise.

However, things change in the hour-long 16th episode "Queen for a Day". While Rapunzel is left in charge for a day, the season storyline returns with a vengeance, and things go crazy as some very unexpected things are revealed about the setting, going well beyond what's established in the movie. Torn between things to focus on, she's forced to turn away a friend who needed her help right away. From this point on, you should watch every episode. There's a ghost witch, giant robots pop up, and yadda yadda yadda, this awesome song appears in the season finale.

Spoiler heavy, but I think it's good as a, "wait, how does that happen?!" interest-piquing spoiler.

The series is overall charming, with great art, character interactions, and many hilarious moments, but I wouldn't blame you for wanting to skip around. If you do, then the stories I recommend checking out are:
Before Ever After - The beginning, introduces Cassandra and the rest of the supporting cast.

1. What the Hair?! - Introduces Varian and explores the season storyline.

4. Challenge of the Brave - Rapunzel and Cassandra enter a fighting tournament. Yes, really.
tumblr_ouflqhK0ZS1rv6ukfo2_500.gif
tumblr_oomt0yVGcP1vovufto1_500.gif

6. The Return of Strongbow - Eugene reunites with one of his old thieving buddies, and after going on one last job with him, is forced to confront the fact that he used to rob from the Royal Family. One frustration of the series is that it's surprisingly light on Eugene and Rapunzel scenes, but this episode has some great interactions between them.
tumblr_ouhfncGpFt1rv6ukfo1_500.gif

8. Great Expotations - During an inventor's fair, we check back in on the season storyline.

9. Under Raps - Cassandra has a boyfriend, and Rapunzel takes them and Eugene on a double date. Things go places.

11. Pascal's Story - Pascal (the chameleon) runs away after he feels unappreciated. Has a flashback to how he and Rapunzel met, and it's a pretty emotional episode.
tumblr_ov5deehdxE1v9zvfwo1_500.png

12. Big Brothers of Corona - Another pretty interesting look at Eugene, as he comes across a pair of young thief sisters and tries to get them on the right track.

13. The Wrath of Ruthless Ruth - Rapunzel, the barbarians, and the captain of the guard are all stuck in the bar. It's haunted by its old owner and they must find a way to appease her. Contains a pretty great song.

14. Max's Enemy - Maximus (the horse) is shown up by a new horse on the guard, and becomes jealous.

And then there's episode 16, "Queen for a Day", where shit gets real. From that point on, you should watch every episode.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it set to hit Netflix or Hulu or a similar service soon now that season 1 looks to have just wrapped up?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I can get past the art style - it looks very cheap and "Flash animation"-esque.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The movie is GOAT tier but I never got into this because the art style just looks off.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The show got interesting when....

Rapunzel's friend, Varian became a vengeful mad scientist.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, right. I completely forgot to consider streaming. Unfortunately, it appears to only be available for purchase. I notice an entry on Hulu, but there aren't any episodes available there. Perhaps in the future?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Interesting, there is also a Big Hero 6 tv series with hand drawn animation that just begun

Oct 27, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Wasn't Tangled supposed to be a traditionally animated film at first during it's development hell stage before becoming a 3D CGI film?

When I saw this show existed and looked at it's art style, I just got reminded of this rumor.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are there a lot of songs? That revolution number in the OP kind of has me interested.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I like it but I like the movie's animation better. The TV one look fine and the art has it's charming points but something feels cheaper about it.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Pretty surprised to see so much resistance to the art; I think it looks fantastic. It may not be traditionally animated, but as far as computer aided animation goes I think it looks very attractive and distinctive.

Definitely something I'd like to check out if it becomes available in my region.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
There's still a lot of really great hand drawn work being done here, I follow a lot of the crew on tumblr and have seen their storyboards, paintings, animatics, and rough animation. There's serious talent going into this show and the animation IS really solid. I love the art style, it's different but it blends well with the Claire Keane paintings used a lot in the series.

The portrayal of Eugene and Rapunzel's relationship has been handled and written very well, especially as a good example for younger audiences to see. In general, the writing and humor is very family friendly but as adults, my wife and I have enjoyed it.

The show is definitely worth checking out, visually it set my expectations high for the Big Hero 6 Series, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be aiming for the same output in that area, so hopefully the writing will be on par. I'm excited for the next season.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I just randomly remembered this show existed yesterday, and told my girlfriend I wanted to watch it soon.

Is there going to be a DVD (probably no Blu-ray since the prologue movie didn't get one) box set for season one soon? I'll buy it, if so!

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Funny thing I just rewatched Tangled today. lol.

I still can't get over how violent the end of the movie is with that stab.

Oct 29, 2017
Funny thing I just rewatched Tangled today. lol.

I still can't get over how violent the end of the movie is with that stab.
and we must not forget that
only pascal has the stomach for killing.
I'll probably check this out, though. the movie is one of my favorite disney movies. I like the artstyle, but something about the animation looked a little off from the trailers? can't put my finger on it. I'll definitely give it a chance though

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gotta admit that I dismissed the show just because of the art style (not that I have anything against 2D or simplistic art, on the contrary, it just somehow spelled cash cow to me). Your OT has sparked my interest in it, however. Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a watch.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Are there a lot of songs? That revolution number in the OP kind of has me interested.

Interested in this as well. Depending on how many songs there are, this show can go from "I'll check it out at some point" to"I'll start watching this today"
The hour long specials (Before Ever After, Queen for a Day, and the finale) all have multiple songs, but otherwise, there's a song every few episodes. If you excuse the comparison, it's a similar spread to a season of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I just randomly remembered this show existed yesterday, and told my girlfriend I wanted to watch it soon.

Is there going to be a DVD (probably no Blu-ray since the prologue movie didn't get one) box set for season one soon? I'll buy it, if so!
Unfortunately, given that Gravity Falls never got a DVD set (just a few episode collection DVDs), this seems unlikely.

Wasn't Tangled supposed to be a traditionally animated film at first during it's development hell stage before becoming a 3D CGI film?

When I saw this show existed and looked at it's art style, I just got reminded of this rumor.

No rumor about it, we know for a fact that it was going to be 2D. It was changed not just for marketing reasons, but because they felt they would better handle Rapunzel's hair in CGI.

Is it good for kids or adults can enjoy it as well.

If you can appreciate Tangled the movie, you'd be able to appreciate the show. They don't overly "kiddify" it compared it to movie, and it actually does go into some pretty dark places, especially later.

Loving this show, but it was annoying that they had to nohomo Cassandra.

Yeah, I figured they wouldn't actually make her gay for Rapunzel, like she came off as in the earlier episodes, but the episode where she has a boyfriend seemed like it went out of its way to shut down those theories. At first, anyway.

There's still a lot of really great hand drawn work being done here, I follow a lot of the crew on tumblr and have seen their storyboards, paintings, animatics, and rough animation. There's serious talent going into this show and the animation IS really solid. I love the art style, it's different but it blends well with the Claire Keane paintings used a lot in the series.

The portrayal of Eugene and Rapunzel's relationship has been handled and written very well, especially as a good example for younger audiences to see. In general, the writing and humor is very family friendly but as adults, my wife and I have enjoyed it.

The show is definitely worth checking out, visually it set my expectations high for the Big Hero 6 Series, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be aiming for the same output in that area, so hopefully the writing will be on par. I'm excited for the next season.

I only came across the production art while looking for images for this thread, and I'm pretty impressed by it.

I agree that I love how Eugene and Rapunzel's relationship is portrayed, which made it all the more annoying that for a while they focused more on Eugene and Cassandra, and Cassandra and Rapunzel.

I also agree that I'm not impressed by how Big Hero 6 the Series looks. I'll have to wait for responses to that.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I caught the first couple episodes, which were delightful, but it went on hiatus and I lost track. I gotta catch back up soon.

The movie was pitched as 2D, but was only greenlit as CG.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
will second this. show is great, and the last stretch of episodes bookended by the two hour long episodes is phenomenal

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User was warned for this post: It's ok not to post. Drive by posts like this add nothing to the thread.
Uhhh, no thanks. I'm not 8 years old.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, as an adult I'll probably stick to shows geared towards my age. Will recommend to my little sister though.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Tangled is my favorite Disney movie, have quite a few Tangled/Rapunzel merchandise as well as Tangled/Rapunzel themed clothing that's so cute. So happy this series has been made as I very much enjoy watching it.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the art style when I randomly saw the Challenge of the Brave episode.

My son is still a bit too young to get into it, but I'm looking forward to it being around when he is.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my 3 year old daughter's favorite things in the world, and I love watching it with her. Flynn is genuinely funny and some of the later episodes are pretty epic. The season ended on a mysterious note and I'll admit I'm excited to come back to it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting this exists. I really what I've seen of the art style. :3

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting. Tangled remains one of my all-time favorites and if it has the original cast, my wife and I might give it a whirl.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, he does.

Well, it doesn't just grow back.
It magically grows back.

Though seriously, they do at least put the effort into tying it to the series' myth arc.

yeah I'm being too hard. It's better then when in Aladdin's show Genie had his slave cuffs back FOR NO REASON. As a kid I was always pissed cause it meant to me Aladdin still had Genie as a slave...