• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
If you think you can't repeat conservative talking points in political threads just say it.

Like rather than get defensive over vague assumptions and insinuations just leave your piece and we can talk about something concrete instead of taking shots at each other behind cover.

I don't think there are many conservative posters on ResetEra. Rather, they're arguing that many of the hyper progressive members will jump on you if you try to split the difference in any way.

Not saying I believe that. But that's what many have said in this thread. Clearly they feel it's true.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pages and hours worth of hand-wringing just because a guy really wants to say 'cunt'? Good fucking lord. Hey, ERA-men. If you ever want to see why a lot of us women just assume you're arguing in bad faith, look no further than the tragedy of Darth MJBarret the Unwise. I hope that answers your question Dr Wily

There are 2 posters, its not inconceivable they have 2 different motivations.
its actually pretty likely.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
An example and a question:

When I first saw the "don't call women females" thread there was 1 maybe 2 replies and I thought to myself that it wouldn't last very long because there's no discussion, of course you shouldn't do that. Like taking it to a most generalized form of "a portion of group 'X' is uncomfortable with behavior 'Y'" how is there any other response other than "oh, I'll not do "Y" then" or at the very least "I'll make an effort not to do 'Y'", even if something that doesn't bother you or you know someone in group 'X' that doesn't care, it's the most basic of social interaction to have some consideration to all involved....we're talking level zero preschool basic politeness lessons here. I'm generally a lurker so I shrugged my shoulders and went about my day, to later come back to a thousand pages mired in bullshit and all I could do was shake my head at it all. But here I can't help but wonder are folk like me part of the problem? Should I be speaking up more? I certainly don't want to get into shouting matches with terrible people, but if my (and others I'm sure) more....welcoming?...more common sense?...more inclusive?... comments provide a more quantifiable push back to it all, I don't know, could it make someone feel more comfortable? Would it make a difference?

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
It's just like the N-word tbh. White people really want to fucking say it because it's the one thing they can't say.

(I know they're not exactly the same, only insofar as they're both general 'forbidden' words for white men to say).

You ain't lyin'.

Appreciate it. The one time you and I interacted on here was messy; I apologize for any argumentativeness.

Water under the bridge and all that. No worries.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You shouldn't feel obligated to put yourself at risk of stress for the sake of "fighting the good fight", as long as you (not you but some other people have a habit of this) don't undermine it.

The fact is gamers are not known for their social interaction acumen and take badly to being lectured.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So summary

Saying someone is crying = being a petulant child with no argument

Saying no dissent or discussion is allowed here = being an adult

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Dark Souls 1 is not perfect, and is in fact the worst game in the soulsborne category.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time is not the best Zelda
Pokemon is boring
Mario feels faster than Sonic

I hold all of these opinions and more. So far, I have been disagreed with, but I did not get squashed, censored, sent to a gulag, nor did I get crucified, stabbed, made an example of. I wasn't even run over by skeletons on wheels.

Perhaps the problem is not holding different opinions, but what these opinions entail. It is easier to disagree on media than on who counts as a full person, for example.

I'm talking about political opinions or opinions on subjects that hold just a liiiiittle more weight that what the best game in series is.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
The squashing of dissenting opinions is done because not all opinions are created equally. That's sort of the point of this thread.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So I'm "crying" now? Do you really think saying things like that helps your cause? It doesn't. It makes you look like a petulant child with no argument.

"But they don't have a plan, they just hate mine! " - Hamilton

BTW you're doing that. You complained about <x>, and when someone was like, what is <x>, you took issue with their tone instead of just .... saying what <x> is.

Just tell us what you're scared of posting. If not, just say you don't want to be dogpiled, and also maybe consider why you'll get dogpiled. Yes, sociology does show that the more of one side there is, the more extreme that side tends to move to. But, you can't blame everything on that, there's always going to be a reason why so many people feel that way (in the first place.)

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly haven't seen many of these threads people are talking about, so I don't have an opinion on the way people have been handling them, but I wasn't just talking about that, it's pretty much any thread with any somewhat political topic.
specify or stop crying cause that's what it's coming off as.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Its just as sexist a term in Australia and the UK, regardless of how accepted and normalized it is there. "Joking" is never an excuse.

It is used in a dark humor sense. Because I have hundred of hours of podcast from them, where they do frequently do side track to take about the words they use. How they know they are horrible, they apologized, but reserved the right to use those words toward despicable people. I give it a pass in that select case.

I like when we share jokes in my family- which is mixed white and black. There are things we say in private, making fun of white racist that I would never saying in public in front of a strange black or other person of color. Dark humor is used to combat the real life shit my black cousins have to deal with on a day to day basis.

And this is the type of comment that smacks of a progressive purity test I have failed on this forum.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This scene has been on my mind ever since the female thread. It is the marriage proposal of mr Collins to Elizabeth from the 1995 adaptation of pride and prejudice.

It just has it all. Seeing a woman as an object instead of a person. Failing to listen and a female remark to top it of at the 4:06 mark. Enjoy.

@3:56 "you're just playing hard to get"

holy shit lol, we haven't come very far have we

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there are many conservative posters on ResetEra. Rather, they're arguing that many of the hyper progressive members will jump on you if you try to split the difference in any way.

Not saying I believe that. But that's what many have said in this thread. Clearly they feel it's true.
There are more than you'd think I feel, they just keep quiet because they tend to get dogpiled (usually for good reasons, rarely for a not good reason).

Also, self-identified liberals sometimes have a habit of repeating conservative talking points and are not aware of it. Social conditioning is a very subtle thing and a lot of self-professed liberals think that by calling themselves liberal they're suddenly magically immune to any and all biases. Doesn't work like that. And when people try to explain to them that they're buying into conservative propaganda they go "how dare you, I'll have you know I always vote D and my minority friend/wife/sister agrees with me".

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly haven't seen many of these threads people are talking about, so I don't have an opinion on the way people have been handling them, but I wasn't just talking about that, it's pretty much any thread with any somewhat political topic.

You're in one of those threads where it's literally happening right now. In fact, one could argue that you are doing the literal thing I'm talking about.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Specifically how so many things that to me weren't racist were called so by a few users. Disagreeing with them led to a lot of hateful dogpiling by them and some others. A lot of threads around that time ( a few months ago) played out exactly the same way.
Maybe consider why people are telling why such things are racist?
Or you could complain about it elsewhere, that works too.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'm talking about political opinions or opinions on subjects that hold just a liiiiittle more weight that what the best game in series is.

Good, so clearly, the problem is not that you get squashed for dissenting opinions. Thank you for admitting that.

Your problem is more specific: Political problems. Even more specific: In that thread, you insinuated directly that the only rational person was a poster complaining that people were "playing the race card": Why Do People Get Upset When Race is Brought Up?

In other words: I was right with what I suspected your problem actually was. It is difficult to disagree politely when the disagreement is how human other people are.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So in another derail, we still have people crying that differing opinions gets you banned. And when people ask for examples, they're vague as shit and won't provide proof.

Like come on. For people saying they want a debate, they're sure doing a piss poor job at it.

Oh and some guy who really wants to say cunt.

My main problem was actually that I was being told that my opinion on race didn't matter because I was white.

That's bullshit.

Sorry to break it to you.

But what makes you think your opinion should matter than someone who's more likely discriminated against?

Like, my opinion on menstruation doesn't matter, because I'll never have one. And that's a-ok.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
It is used in a dark humor sense. Because I have hundred of hours of podcast from them, where they do frequently do side track to take about the words they use. How they know they are horrible, they apologized, but reserved the right to use those words toward despicable people. I give it a pass in that select case.

"I know it's offensive but I want to use it when I don't like someone" is no better than "heated gaming moment." If you use a misogynistic slur, especially KNOWING that is a misogynistic slur, to describe someone you hate, you hate women.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? That's...not what I was talking about. I said nothing about moderation.

I only made it a few pages in and all I could see was you posting some tired bullshit about a hivemind and how rational thoughts aren't welcome while also referring to some posts that may or may not exist in which you apparently elaborated on your complaints with the forum.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Read the thread. I don't have time to write you paper on it.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to me. I am currently away from the office but, once I receive your confirmation of your initial payment, I would love to do extensive research and construct your own argument for you when I get back. Of course a proper per word + expenses invoice will follow upon the termination of our interaction. However to begin I do require an initial payment as a good faith assurance that my time is securely compensated.

Thank you and have a good evening.

- excelsiorlef

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Wow. I posted this a second ago. You must be hammering F5 to see what I'd say.

I'm flattered.
This is what gets posts actioned. Instead of just making your point you're saying petty shit.

This is how this shit usually goes. It's never just a dissenting opinion, there are always attacks on the atmosphere of this site and whatever group the poster is disagreeing with. I absolutely have issues with the nature of some discussion here, but I sure as hell ain't gonna make a stink about it when I see that most of the people doing it act like this. Y'all are the ones making it harder for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.