• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
English speakers don't really call anything "high English," I'm telling you that you shouldn't use that phrase because it has a pretty bad connotation.

People do realize that. I'm telling you calling something "high English" should probably be avoided in English.

So, you call it American English or British?

Oct 25, 2017
No, we just disagree. That's sort of the point of expressing opinions you know.

What do you think a forum is for exactly?

Talking to people who actually have something to say rather than fending off bullshit from fragile men all day long. Did it ever occur to you that not all arguments are equally valid? Maybe I just don't give a shit about a man's hot take on why women's issues don't matter. I literally don't want to hear it and there is literally nothing that man could tell me that would be even slightly thought-provoking beyond "wow, what a complete buffoon". As the poster you quoted has said, marginalized people are literally leaving the conversation on this forum. I care a LOT more about that than about you expressing your opinion. Their opinion on these issues is a lot more interesting. Always. Tough shit for you.

No, I am not complaining that I can't and I think you know that. I am pointing out that there is a double standard and that's what I disagree with. Any double standard I will disagree with. And that's where my complaining stops. We could be talking about turtles right now and if I saw a double standard I would point it out as bs imo.

Aside from that I'm not going to argue with you as I absolutely do not want anyone to feel uncomfortable posting their opinions. I welcome you and your opinions even if I were to strongly disagree with them (and that's not the case in this instance) and I hope you'd do the same for me.

Basically my view on gender inequality is that women should speak up/stand up/be brought up as equals in every aspect of life and its absurd to me that this isn't already the case. It's absolutely ridiculous that it's even a thing. I just want women to stand up as opposed to pulling anyone else down. That's the best way to balance things imo.

No, the best way to balance things is for men to stop being spineless cowards and to take responsibility for collectively creating this system of oppression rather than telling women that it's on them to fix it and that they need to make damn sure men don't lose anything over it. Fuck that a lot.

Also there is no double standard because the premise isn't the same.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No, I am not complaining that I can't and I think you know that. I am pointing out that there is a double standard and that's what I disagree with. Any double standard I will disagree with. And that's where my complaining stops. We could be talking about turtles right now and if I saw a double standard I would point it out as bs imo.

Aside from that I'm not going to argue with you as I absolutely do not want anyone to feel uncomfortable posting their opinions. I welcome you and your opinions and I hope you'd do the same for me.

Basically my view on gender inequality is that women should speak up/stand up/be brought up as equals in every aspect of life and its absurd to me that this isn't already the case. It's absolutely ridiculous that it's even a thing. I just want women to stand up as opposed to pulling anyone else down. That's the best way to balance things imo.

Women ain't pulling you down brah

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep

Call what that? I wouldn't call anything "high English." I'd refer to American dialects as American dialects, English ones as English ones, Scottish ones as Scottish ones, and so on.

Edit: I guess you meant Brogressive. I'd say it's really neither since I've never heard it before this thread. It sounds like more of an American construction I suppose.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's neither, it's vernacular/slang English.

I think the word you're looking for isn't "high" but "formal" English. As in, a language you learned through a systemic process (learning grammar, learning structure) rather than a natural one (via conversation).

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't disagree but that doesn't make this the best place it can be. The other place was the same way.
So what could be done to make it better?

Be your own mod and start placing people on ignore, it does wonders. It does what you want, removing opinions you don't want to read. I'm sure I'm on quite a few ignore lists and that's ok, because they gave us all the tools we need to curate our own experiences here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I guess so. I don't get why it is a topic some struggle with as more men being less emphatic isn't some crazy thing to say

I dunno, some peeps just can handle a finger pointing anywhere in their direction I suppose. I don't think it's controversial that boys in general are raised with an emphasis on hiding their emotions and not embracing anything that could be considered a weakness. So when the toxic comes up it's just so weird to see "women lack empathy too!!!1!!" Yeah they do, but there are some pretty profound differences that we don't have to hand wave away.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
My issue with yall loving Brogressive is this idea that everyone has to be woke. Shit, it's fine if people have surface level knowledge and ideals if it's going to guide them to a positive discourse.
The people I think frustrate many of us are people who use ignorance to excuse bigotry, or people who are told why something is harmful but choose to not listen. What does being woke mean in your context? If someone is racist or sexist or transphobic or any of that kind of thing, our members of those communities shouldn't have to suffer that stuff. It doesn't take a woke person to know the deal, that's basic human decency right?
lol brogressive. The gate keepers are coming up with new terms every week.
Who are you talking to?

Wolven Hammer

Feb 26, 2018
Los Angeles, California
As is very concisely laid out in the OP, it's not progressive enough. Just saying Era comparatively progressive is meaningless and absolute bullshit.

The fact that there's 23 pages of people arguing about the point OP makes is just validating that fucking point.
The site not being progressive enough is simply an opinion that is not being realistic. People who say bigoted things get banned left and right and that's progressive enough. You and others disagree. That's fine.

But the only way to be more effective at this point is to fucking read minds before people post. Which, as I said, is being unrealistic.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I just want women to stand up as opposed to pulling anyone else down. That's the best way to balance things imo.
This is an intensely naive view of how power imbalances get corrected.

Newsflash: the vast majority of power rearrangements in history involved some form of violence. Maybe all of them did, actually. I certainly don't know of any 'peaceful' resolutions to longstanding societal issues. Even Mahatma Gandhi couldn't solve the Untouchables' plight with his nonviolent protest, and that man is world-famous.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
And now Brogressive has entered Era's vernacular. Praise be.

If anything, it's a very good shorthand term for what's going on here.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Call what that? I wouldn't call anything "high English." I'd refer to American dialects as American dialects, English ones as English ones, Scottish ones as Scottish ones, and so on.

Yeah, no, the language used in USA is very different from the language used in Britain, so, us morons learning the languages really need to know from what part of the world you are coming from. So we do differentiate.

The grammar is different, the terms are different, the slang, is way different. It's like the same language, but painted in different colours. Native speakers totally do not seem to understand that.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's really sad if a lot of monorities are actually leaving this forum. Judging by the discourse in this thread I can see why.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's neither, it's vernacular/slang English.

I think the word you're looking for isn't "high" but "formal" English. As in, a language you learned through a systemic process (learning grammar, learning structure) rather than a natural one (via conversation).

Aah, thank you so much, finally a proper answer. :)

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your issues with brogressive is that it feels bad to be labeled a brogressive.

Relax, it's not there to call you out, a lot of people here are likely no more deeply read than you, except for Cocaloch. Rather, take it as a sign that you have some studying to do if you want to duck the label.

It's okay to not be at the forefront of progressive movement.

It's okay to not know everything there is to know about gender fluidity theory.

As long as you're willing to learn and improve your understanding.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
I literally cannot express any of my opinions of this forum for fear of me being banned ..... About anything.... In fact I'm afraid this post alone will get me banned, and some of the moderator comments on other people who do get banned seem unfair and unjust to me.

Don't like Star wars, be called a misogynist loser .... Perfectly ok
Post that the NRA needs a taste of its own medicine ... ban for a week (inciting violence)

You can claim that it's because there isn't enough moderation and we aren't "progressive" enough, but this forum is literally the MOST progressive place I have EVER seen, Sure if you want to claim that's because of my lack of interaction with a wider range of people go ahead, but I'm saying that I live in a somewhat rural upstate NY area and don't think I know of a more progressive place. I learn a lot about thing's I don't know about on here, I keep up with the news thanks to this website, and I get advice/hang out in various off topic places, but I literally refuse to touch any post that has to deal with "social issues" because the moderation is so strict.

Hell I'm almost certain this post will get banned for something like a moderator being like "arguing in bad faith" or throw out "strawman" or go "drive by post or "redirecting the topic"

Just because YOU are the extreme left doesn't mean that the rest of the world has caught up to you yet, and not everyone is as "woke" as everyone else. To you this place is somehow looking down upon women, and that there's this huge issue that need's to be dealt with. Meanwhile this forum has legitimately opened my eyes to shit I would normally have not even thought about.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Women ain't pulling you down.
I don't think they are. I'm only referring to the double standard of the empathy thread again when I say that. A man (I believe) started that thread anyway.

The point is that to be OK with that, should also mean you are OK with it going in reverse. If not, that is a double standard imo.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with you, OP.

As for how to address the issue, I think a couple things could be done in order to help promote better discourse.
  • Overall, I think that bans need to be more strict. I don't think three day bans or one week bans are truly effective at doing much of anything. I think that, at the very least, the bare minimum should be a month. Also, a zero-tolerance policy should be instituted for hate speech and misogyny.
  • I think that it would also be helpful for members that have been previously banned to have their previous bans displayed on their profiles accompanied by the reason for said ban. Oftentimes I'll see mods state that the user had a history of prior infractions when receiving a permanent ban, but that's something that really only the moderators would be aware of unless a poster actively knows about what bans the member has received in the past. I think that making this visible to the user would let the someone know if someone is actually worth arguing/engaging with, or let them know if said user has had a history of arguing in bad faith/trolling/drive-by posting in the past.
But, above all else, I think this needs to happen:
  • I think a thread should be made for any and all moderation concerns. Frequently I'll see moderators tell users that if they have concerns regarding moderation, they should PM a moderator, but to me this is problematic. A., it can be difficult for someone to confide in someone that they don't know, and B., it can be easy to think that someone else has already expressed a similar concern to a moderator already. I think that in making a public thread for moderation concerns, all of the above issues I've expressed and more could potentially be addressed alongside improved moderation. In making it a participatory thread, I think that more people would step forward with concerns and solutions, and that people who had never even realized they'd had concerns or solutions could contribute. I truly think that this in particular would help elevate the level of discourse on ResetERA.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

What's funny is this is you actually engaging in the thing you falsely just accused others of doing.

Brogressive speaks to a certain type of masculinized progressiveness that essentially centers it all around what's good for dudes... which is what makes it easy for them to shit up women's issues

Your response here speaks to nothing

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, why are you more worried about the sanctity of keeping shitty men safe from bans than providing a safe platform for women to participate? That's a fucked up system of priorities, dude.
That's also a pretty ridiculous spin on what I've said. I mean, thread bans would basically be a minor extension of what's already in place......and I don't think Warning system was really designed with the intent of "keeping shitty men safe". Most of what's in place now is largely there to prevent the kind of ad-hoc banning/moderation that turned NeoGAF into what it was.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Yeah, no, the language used in USA is very different from the language used in Britain, so, us morons learning the languages really need to know from what part of the world you are coming from. So we do differentiate.

The grammar is different, the terms are different, the slang, is way different. It's like the same language, but painted in different colours. Native speakers totally do not seem to understand that.

I don't understand how this is at all related to anything I've said. I'm quite aware there are great differences between dialects of English, nothing I said contradicted that at all. I'm telling you that you shouldn't use the phrase "high English."

Aah, thank you so much, finally a proper answer. :)

If you use formal English to mean the dialects of English spoken in England then you are wrong which is a problem for the same reason that calling RP "high English" would be. Formality is a register, not a regional dialect.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
User banned (2 days): misrepresenting other posters
Did I really read in this thread that I am not progressive if I would not be willing to marry a transgender person? Why have I seen so many posts trying to redefine what progressivism or liberalism is?

From an academic perspective it seems like a few of you are a bit off and are subscribing to some caricaturized version of these ideals...

How it got to this point I have no idea. It would explain some of the infighting and outright dismissal of others who for all intentd and purposes are really on the same team.

Last edited:

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: trolling
I propose an update to the ToS. Users must agree to have chips implanted in their heads before posting is emabled. Posts that aren't progressive enough will result in a mild electric shock. Who's with me?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally cannot express any of my opinions of this forum for fear of me being banned ..... About anything.... In fact I'm afraid this post alone will get me banned, and some of the moderator comments on other people who do get banned seem unfair and unjust to me.

Don't like Star wars, be called a misogynist loser .... Perfectly ok
Post that the NRA needs a taste of its own medicine ... ban for a week (inciting violence)

You can claim that it's because there isn't enough moderation and we aren't "progressive" enough, but this forum is literally the MOST progressive place I have EVER seen, Sure if you want to claim that's because of my lack of interaction with a wider range of people go ahead, but I'm saying that I live in a somewhat rural upstate NY area and don't think I know of a more progressive place. I learn a lot about thing's I don't know about on here, I keep up with the news thanks to this website, and I get advice/hang out in various off topic places, but I literally refuse to touch any post that has to deal with "social issues" because the moderation is so strict.

Hell I'm almost certain this post will get banned for something like a moderator being like "arguing in bad faith" or throw out "strawman" or go "drive by post or "redirecting the topic"

Just because YOU are the extreme left doesn't mean that the rest of the world has caught up to you yet, and not everyone is as "woke" as everyone else. To you this place is somehow looking down upon women, and that there's this huge issue that need's to be dealt with. Meanwhile this forum has legitimately opened my eyes to shit I would normally have not even thought about.
Upstate NY is not generally progressive.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
That's also a pretty ridiculous spin on what I've said. I mean, thread bans would basically be a minor extension of what's already in place......and I don't think Warning system was really designed with the intent of "keeping shitty men safe". Most of what's in place now is largely there to prevent the kind of ad-hoc banning/moderation that turned NeoGAF into what it was.

It would be a regression. You're suggesting a reduction in consequences

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So what could be done to make it better?

Be your own mod and start placing people on ignore, it does wonders. It does what you want, removing opinions you don't want to read. I'm sure I'm on quite a few ignore lists and that's ok, because they gave us all the tools we need to curate our own experiences here.
'Be your own mod' is fine for ignoring people you find irritating, but it isn't a good policy for more serious issues. Don't just ignore people who make the site worse, fuck them into the sea.

The only way I can see your way working for the site in general is if people who end up on lots of ignore lists get automatically banned. I can also see that going horribly wrong though.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I support the OP in this view - I've actually cut back in my posting and reading of OT due to the uptick in misogynist and racist commentary in threads. And I'm hardly some shrinking violet, since I've probably been dealing with guys being dicks on the internet longer than some of you all have been alive. :) But when you got a limited time left on this Earth, it's hard to slog through all the dismissive hot takes from both trolls and misguided kids.

The problem is, after all the nonsense with people getting fired over tweets and other community responses, I don't really feel safe to share any of my true opinions around here as a woman. And that sucks. Fighting for equality and respect these days can be twisted into a thoughtcrime by nefarious people, and I wish I knew how we could reverse this trend together.

Maybe we should leverage the fact that this is a gaming site and gamify the system. Compassion Achievements for reasonable discourse? Requiring people to play through some games about empathy and minorities to be reinstated after a ban?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's too bad curating via ignore and mute lists works poorly on forums vs. things like Twitter since I think that is a huge qol improvement for using a social internet service. IMO a much better solution than "more moderation".

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Your issues with brogressive is that it feels bad to be labeled a brogressive.

Not really. I'm very secure with who I am and what I do and do not know. Era can call me whatever, I'ma be fine.

Relax, no one's calling you out, a lot of people here are likely no more deeply read than you, except for Cocaloch. Rather, take it as a sign that you have some reading to do if you want to duck the label.

My issue is simply that it's fine to have some shallow ass knowledge and feelings on shit if you ultimately roll on the right side. I don't need everyone to be 100p on everything and I don't need the labels to classify what is ultimately "get more learnt yo". Not being woke really aint the worst shit ever.

The people I think frustrate many of us are people who use ignorance to excuse bigotry, or people who are told why something is harmful but choose to not listen. What does being woke mean in your context? If someone is racist or sexist or transphobic or any of that kind of thing, our members of those communities shouldn't have to suffer that stuff. It doesn't take a woke person to know the deal, that's basic human decency right?

I feel I laid out my position pretty plainly. I don't really get the side tangent you are rolling down.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, now explain the meaning of Brogressive to someone that has high english as a third language, and is not familiar with the slangs of other nations.

Easy, adding the preffix "Bro" to a word is modern slang to denote that the person is engaging in a surface level version of the concept and it's not fully invested in it, causing all actions to lack depth or real motivation behind it.

Mexican here by the way, self taught myself english with minimal input from my school when i was like 12. Foreigners are more than perfectly capable of understanding the concept of slang.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying not to gatekeep. The problem is, there has to be a certain standard of discourse and agreed upon axioms before a discussion can even take place, and on a forum like this, most people step into a thread to drop whatever take first comes to mind, and then the thread spends ages arguing "well what do you mean by this", "how do you define that", and I see this as what happens when the refusal to gatekeep sabotages your own purposes of educating others.

Too much gatekeeping, to the point where you can't even educate the uninformed is toxic, but so is an open door policy (too little gatekeeping). Most people aren't on a forum to get educated. That's fine. But don't make the environment hostile for people who're trying to discuss things.
Fair enough. This post makes sense. The ultimate issue is sadly the bolded.

Oct 25, 2017
Those are progressive values, but respectfulness is in no way exclusive to progressives. Nor are progressives entirely free of being rude or disrespectful, especially when ideologies clash

i think i inverted the proper phrasing - opposition to certain progressive values inherently involves disrespecting certain categories of people

that is where i think the issue arises, that people actually are forced to adopt certain progressive values just by virtue of the fact that racial and sexual discrimination are disallowed - but then the phrase "certain progressive values" is used in a motte and bailey fallacy to proclaim that this demonstrates that someone must be a socialist to participate in the discourse

the common complaint is a fallacy of compression, in my eyes

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a regression. You're suggesting a reduction in consequences
I'm suggesting an escalation in consequences.

Thread ban would be the replacement/alternative to a Warning, not the alternative to an actual ban. My suggestion would be bans for traditional racism/sexism/etc, and Thread Ban for the sort of Rhetorical Derails that the OP complains about ("NotAllMen", "My wife says").

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is this is you actually engaging in the thing you falsely just accused others of doing.

Brogressive speaks to a certain type of masculinized progressiveness that essentially centers it all around what's good for dudes... which is what makes it easy for them to shit up women's issues

Your response here speaks to nothing

i'm glad you were able to pick up on the joke.

also, yall might want to agree on what your new term means before claiming "it's accurate".

we've got masculinized progressiveness, the urban dictionary definition of marginilizing groups to focus on other issues, and progressivism as a vehicle to shit on religions and social conservatives.

here i'll make it easy for all of you and give you the real definition of what this term is ultimately going to be for:

brogressives: people who're generally progressive, but don't see eye to eye with me on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.