• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Calling a woman a female is demeaning now? Even though it's the scientific term? Maybe the reason it's hard to keep people in line here is because the rules on what is acceptable are constantly changing.
Are you a scientist conducting a scientific survey or something? Why does the "scientific term" matter? And yes, things change, that is part of progress. I've known this for at least over ten years if not fifteen, this isn't some new thing. When in doubt, listen.
How is that obvious at all? I would not be offended at all to be called a male. It's used everywhere. hospital forms, driver license, etc.
Because you don't have to deal with the same sexism women do.
How can I be understanding if I didn't understand the reason? that's why I asked the question. Now that remz gave me the reason, I find it a silly reason but at least now I know what the reason is. If anybody actually asked me to not call them a female, of course I wouldn't but I would be worried for them, being so sensitive.
ffs
This is a bigger problem I see, the need for perfection that so many people on the internet seem to have. and it has to perfect from the outset, no learning no growth is allowed.
You aren't learning or growing, you're doubling down instead of listening.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
How is that obvious at all? I would not be offended at all to be called a male. It's used everywhere. hospital forms, driver license, etc.

How can I be understanding if I didn't understand the reason? that's why I asked the question. Now that remz gave me the reason, I find it a silly reason but at least now I know what the reason is. If anybody actually asked me to not call them a female, of course I wouldn't but I would be worried for them, being so sensitive.

This is a bigger problem I see, the need for perfection that so many people on the internet seem to have. and it has to perfect from the outset, no learning no growth is allowed.
Oh I'm sorry you find it "so sensitive" that not everyone appreciates being referred to with clinical biological terms that demean their personhood. I'm sorry you couldn't be bothered to check out the thread in question and figure out what the full story was, and instead jumped to conclusions. I'm sorry that you think asking for one tiny thing of people is asking for perfection. I'm sorry you think you can accuse us of shutting down personal growth when you're the one who wasn't interested in learning anything.

I'm sorry.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Calling a woman a female is demeaning now? Even though it's the scientific term? Maybe the reason it's hard to keep people in line here is because the rules on what is acceptable are constantly changing.

Why can't we have a definitive list of things that are/aren't acceptable? If it came with links to actual posts that are considered bannable, it would be even more helpful.

Because forums are discussion places, not specifically places to educate the uninformed. Like, seriously, I just Google'd "why is calling women females bad". Here are some links:

The Problem With Calling Women 'Females'
Using 'Lady,' 'Woman,' and 'Female' to Modify Nouns
He Keeps Calling Us 'Females'

Why is it so difficult for people to Google before interjecting? Why is this not the norm, instead the exception? As I just said:

None of us are children, here - we can all use the internet, find relatively unbiased news sources, use Wiki, go to the library.

People need to start owning their ignorance and educating themselves. Maybe then women won't be made to feel like shit because uninformed internet people are ignoring what they say.

Edit:

Absolutely growth is allowed, and should be encouraged. But people here aren't here to explicitly help you grow - you need to take some responsibility for that yourself. *shrugs*

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

Perfection has nothing to do with social training, etiquette and empathy.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the bigger problem was calling racists racist?
https://www.resetera.com/posts/10122667/

Edit: Nevermind. I think I may have reported after the ban. Sorry mods. It took me a second to point out the history of the user.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Are you a scientist conducting a scientific survey or something? Why does the "scientific term" matter? And yes, things change, that is part of progress. I've known this for at least over ten years if not fifteen, this isn't some new thing. When in doubt, listen.
I can honestly say I've never heard of it before, Red. Not now and not 10 or 15 years ago. I then asked my Destiny 2 raid group if they had ever heard of it. None of them had, either.

Anecdotal? Sure, definitely, but just because you've known it for 10 or 15 years doesn't mean a thing.

Not that any of us have ever called a female a female to their face, anyways, people have names, but....

Oct 27, 2017

Why can't we have a definitive list of things that are/aren't acceptable? If it came with links to actual posts that are considered bannable, it would be even more helpful.

I didn't really know it was either, and it's not a word I would have used anyway really, but that's the whole point.

If someone asks not to be referred to in a certain way, and it costs me literally nothing to not use the word "female", then why not just not use the word?

Oct 25, 2017
Because forums are discussion places, not specifically places to educate the uninformed. Like, seriously, I just Google'd "why is calling women females bad". Here are some links:

The Problem With Calling Women 'Females'
Using 'Lady,' 'Woman,' and 'Female' to Modify Nouns
He Keeps Calling Us 'Females'

Why is it so difficult for people to Google before interjecting? Why is this not the norm, instead the exception? As I just said:

People need to start owning their ignorance and educating themselves. Maybe then women won't be made to feel like shit because uninformed internet people are ignoring what they say.
That first link in particular sums in up pretty succiently, very quickly. I'd wager most people aren't actually interested in education and rather just in arguing for their "team" so to speak.
I thought the bigger problem was calling racists racist?
https://www.resetera.com/posts/10122667/

Edit: Nevermind. I think I may have reported after the ban. Sorry mods. It took me a second to point out the history of the user.
Yeah, i guess it's okay to dehumanize women, but don't hurt a racists feeling by pointingout their bullshit... jeezus.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have noticed these issues as well, and they also affect other minorities as well. I have read many posts in LGBT related topics with highly dismissive posts about the importance of being gay as an identity. Politely stating that "don't flaunt it" in video games and other media sources. The reality of the situation is that these forums are majority white, male, and straight. Women are probably a tiny minority as well. There can't be good discussions about social issues unless there are representative of these communities, and in decent numbers. We need more LGBT members, women, and POC members to be truly progressive. "gamers" HAVE over the years demonstrated extreme toxic social behavior towards many social justice issues, and I am not surprised by any of the problems we are facing on these forums. My message to you if you are white, straight, and male: You have to understand that our experience is very different then yours, and hence you can never truly grasp how we feel as minority. Best you could do is listen. Don't suggest changes or solutions to things you are not in touch with. Don't judge, and don't be dismissive.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I can honestly say I've never heard of it before, Red. Not now and not 10 or 15 years ago. I then asked my Destiny 2 raid group if they had ever heard of it. None of them had, either.

Anecdotal? Sure, definitely, but just because you've known it for 10 or 15 years doesn't mean a thing.

Not that any of us have ever called a female a female to their face, anyways, people have names, but....

That's fair, I meant it as it's at least been a thing that's been out there. If any dudes had cared to ever ask a woman at any point in the past 10 years if they prefer to be called a woman or a female I would think most would have said the former, but men don't ask, and then when women speak up it just gets dismissed by people like the guy above who want to hold onto any possible sexist constructs they can.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i guess it's okay to dehumanize women, but don't hurt a racists feeling by pointingout their bullshit... jeezus.

What if people who point out sexism are the real sexists? Did you ever think about that?!

(Sometimes you can see a post history and think they're good at riding a line until the trip over it; even if it is only a week ban considering history)

Last edited:

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
That's fair, I meant it as it's at least been a thing that's been out there. If any dudes had cared to ever ask a woman at any point in the past 10 years if they prefer to be called a woman or a female I would think most would have said the former, but men don't ask, and then when women speak up it just gets dismissed by people like the guy above who want to hold onto any possible sexist constructs they can.
One of the links above is probably the main reason why I had never heard of it. Grammatically, it doesn't flow as well or make sense to use compared to other words one may use. If someone were to use it seriously and not in a joking way, it'd just sound odd.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I never use "female(s)" as a noun when referring to women; it feels as unnatural for me as using "male(s)" as a noun to refer to men. I only ever use "female/male" as an adjective when I feel it important to make the distinction, as in "female/male friend", "female/male cousin", etc.

My native Spanish has grammatical gender, so not being able to easily make that distinction in English has always felt a bit unnatural for me.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Spoilers

https://www.resetera.com/posts/9520288/

Saying trans women aren't the opposite sex to men and trans men aren't the opposite sex to women is transphobic.
All the time I have been told that there are two things, sex, which describes the biologocial immutable property (i.e. non-trans men and trans-women are of the same sex, non-trans women and trans men are of the same sex), and gender, which describes the social classifier (i.e. non-trans men and trans men are of the same gender, non-trans women and trans-women are of the same gender). Is this wrong? Because if this is correct, then it does not appear to be transphobic to say trans women are no of the opposite sex of non-trans men, considering it is just stating a fact. Now if sex is supposed to also refer to the social classification, what term is there to distinguish the immutable physiological property that is the basis for procreation in most advanced lifeforms?

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Signed in after like a month and a half off to post here.

I've been very frustrated with the way conversations involving women and minorities are treated. While in a lot of cases it had seemed (before my break ofc) that moderation generally does get to bigoted people, it absolutely fails to control the flow of conversation and allows conversation adjacent to whats considered bannable. Short 3 day bans on blatant and repeated shit doesn't teach them to be less bigoted but how to avoid being moderated. So long as its "polite" it'll make it through and color the entire conversation making it unreadable to the people who the topic affects.
The messaging from the mods and staff don't help it either. So many mod messages are like "this conversation is/isn't productive" without taking any bit of a stance. It makes any non-actioned users believe that their post meets the standards of era. So many bans are on technicalities worried more about tone than the actual bigotry in the posts. Bigots shouldn't feel welcome and they shouldn't be able to just slightly adjust their tone and continue after a couple days off(or after the 5th time they've been given a couple days off).

I have been saying this since day 1 though and there have been brief improvements at times but it never seems like anything lasted. Certainly nothing has been tried to the extent I'd prefer.
Maybe its impossible to catch everything on a forum this big but not trying to exhaust the options just does a disservice to women and minority community members.

Great observation, you touched on many of the things that I wanted to bring up.

In regards to idiots not getting Permed there's one on this page that only ate a 1 week ban.

Start cleaning up the goddamn trash mods because:

Here's what actually happens: Women and minorities get turned off, they leave, and you're stuck with an echo chamber of white boys like everywhere else on the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif
Well you clearly have an interest in a plethora of opinions! Bye.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
All the time I have been told that there are two things, sex, which describes the biologocial immutable property (i.e. non-trans men and trans-women are of the same sex, non-trans women and trans men are of the same sex), and gender, which describes the social classifier (i.e. non-trans men and trans men are of the same gender, non-trans women and trans-women are of the same gender). Is this wrong? Because if this is correct, then it does not appear to be transphobic to say trans women are no of the opposite sex of non-trans men, considering it is just stating a fact. Now if sex is supposed to also refer to the social classification, what term is there to distinguish the immutable physiological property that is the basis for procreation in most advanced lifeforms?

If a straight man is dating a trans woman... he's dating someone of the opposite sex in colloquial terms as we'd use it daily and vice versa... that would not be a homosexual relationship. Spare me this rationalizations to try and find clever ways to call trans women men and trans men women and claim it's not transphobic.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If a straight man is dating a trans woman... he's dating someone of the opposite sex in colloquial terms as we'd use it daily and vice versa... that would not be a homosexual relationship. Spare me this rationalizations to try and find clever ways to call trans women men and trans men women and claim it's not transphobic.
What? This was not a clever way to say anything. I would expect the reason this was treated as transphobia was just not this specific sentence (in particular, I would suspect the "penis in my bed" claim to be the problematic one). Are opposite sex and opposite gender supposed to mean the same thing, but sex and gender still mean the different thing I described above?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What? This was not a clever way to say anything. I would expect the reason this was treated as transphobia was just not this specific sentence (in particular, I would suspect the "penis in my bed" claim to be the problematic one). Are opposite sex and opposite gender supposed to mean the same thing, but sex and gender still mean the different thing I described above?

Sorry I just explained it any further questions that are essentially asking the same thing I just answered will carry a per word fee for me to waste my time.

Thanks and have a good day.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
User Banned (Permanent): Ignoring mod post, thread derailment. Consistent pedantry on issues surrounding minorities.
Sorry I just explained it any further questions that are essentially asking the same thing I just answered will carry a per word fee for me to waste my time.

Thanks and have a good day.
You said that many people use opposite sex in a colloquial way to refer to opposite gender, rather than sex, but this does not mean that this is the correct terminology. Sticking to formally correct language is not hostile. Refering to sex organs that may be the cause of dysphoria specifically to differentiate can, however, certainly be understood as such. Which is why strongly suspect the isolated "trans women are not the opposite sex of non-trans men" not to be the ban-worthy issue, but what came after that.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
It's not complicated. Sex is literally referring to the genitalia, i.e. the "sex" of a "male" (i.e. a plug) that fits into the "sex" of a "female" (i.e. a socket). Generally speaking, you wouldn't say you're attracted to "males" or "females" because the genitals are not the single overriding facet of all of human sexuality - that is to say, it's far more complicated than that (something made obvious when you look at how many heterosexual men are attracted to pre-op transgender women - and vice-versa with transgender men). The "gender" aspect is everything outside of the genitalia and that is highly variable.

Also, needless to say but it bears emphasis, there is no "biological immutable property" of sex. That's a misconception pushed by decades of patriarchal pseudoscience, pushed by men who tried to fit the facts to suit their narrative rather than the other way around. The mere fact that we are capable of overriding basically all of an individual's gender presentation through hormone therapy and surgery should tell you enough, if not also the fact that intersex people also exist (and are more common than many people think). Hence, why we've switched our terminology from things like "born male" or "born female" towards "assigned male at birth" or "assigned female at birth".

At some point folks are just going to have to let go of their preconceived notions of a hard-set binary and grasp the truth with their own two hands. The wave of the future will not pause for anyone.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You said that many people use opposite sex in a colloquial way to refer to opposite gender, rather than sex, but this does not mean that this is the correct terminology. Sticking to formally correct language is not hostile. Refering to sex organs that may be the cause of dysphoria specifically to differentiate can, however, certainly be understood as such. Which is why strongly suspect the isolated "trans women are not the opposite sex of non-trans men" not to be the ban-worthy issue, but what came after that.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to me. I am currently away from the office but, once I receive your confirmation of your initial payment, I would love to answer your questions when I get back. A proper per word + expenses invoice will follow upon the termination of our interaction. However to begin I do require an initial payment as a good faith assurance that my time is securely compensated.

Thank you and have a good evening.

- excelsiorlef

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I usually don't post in these topics because they feel like hysterical pinball. I really don't want to spend my time and energy to the demands of people unwilling to be convinced.

"So you tell me that you don't like to be objectified and or harrased, well I will need some statistics on that or your opinions don't deserve any validity. Also my wife/girlfriend/sister doesn't agree with you."

I appreciate the tireless efforts of Persephone, Her Hero Is Gone, PhazonBlonde and excelsiorlef to keep the dialogue going in the face of honest questions, pathetic flailing and underdeveloped empathy.

Agreed. These were excellent posters. I get too angry on topics like this to post effectively, unfortunately (and am an Euro, so I come on when its all over anyway)
So yeah, good work, especially Persephone. It must be so tiring. I couldn't remain as calm.

Like the "females" thing. I will never even understand how one can get the idea to talk about people like that. In this industry, tho, it is almost the *norm*. This place is certainly better than that, but it absolutely can be better. By a long, long shot.

Oct 25, 2017
You said that many people use opposite sex in a colloquial way to refer to opposite gender, rather than sex, but this does not mean that this is the correct terminology. Sticking to formally correct language is not hostile. Refering to sex organs that may be the cause of dysphoria specifically to differentiate can, however, certainly be understood as such. Which is why strongly suspect the isolated "trans women are not the opposite sex of non-trans
men" not to be the ban-worthy issue, but what came after that.

For consideration:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/9521679/

"Now, on the other hand, this poll makes the assumption you are aware a potential partner is transsexual, because if you are unaware of it, the question whether you'd date the person is certainly stupid. Now, if you are aware that a person is trans and does not have the right sex for you to be able to get children with the person, then this is a valid reason not to want to date the person as to not to start a relationship with someone you know in advance will not be able to get children. In a sense, we are experiencing here a shift from a "me" perspective (person deciding on who to date) to a "we" perspective (persons already in an established relationship). Of course, this is potentially less of an issue with matching sex but incongruent gender, depending on whether the potential partner plans on having any procedures done."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/transgender-101.25656/page-7#post-7130829

"Still, I would refute the direct comparability even in the unlikely case such a correspondence in brain structure could be established, because there is one important point that is distinctive: If one asks to be treated like a cat, what does one actually expect?"

https://www.resetera.com/threads/transgender-101.25656/page-7#post-8029309

"Well, this is the basic point: What does this mean? To see someone as a woman. I would see her as the same person she is now, I would call her a man if she wants that, but it would change nothing about how I see her. Neither sex nor gender are strong differentiators for me between humans."

Edit: Why am I posting so late after bannings. sorry.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question since english isn't my native language - what's wrong with the term female ? Wanted to follow up for it for a while because it seemed to trigger some offensive responses from time to time online. I think I've always used woman even though I don't quite understood what the issue was with the female term.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that you can reasonably disagree on something you lack perspective of.

Like, I can't really vouched for how progressive this place is for Asian people, transgender people or women because I don't belong to does groups. They experience different types of discrimination and they manifest themselves in different ways.

So you're actually disagreeing on a perceived progressiveness. It's the role of the people belonging to those groups to tell us what's what.
Maybe you should go back to the post I originally replied to, because you didn't get what I said. The discussion was about the fact that people have different perceptions of what 'progressive' means depending on where they live, and what political issues they care about. If I were vegan let's say, then I wouldn't consider Era progressive. It was a discussion about why people can't agree on the word.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question since english isn't my native language - what's wrong with the term female ? Wanted to follow up for it for a while because it seemed to trigger some offensive responses from time to time online. I think I've always used woman even though I don't quite understood what the issue was with the female term.

Thanks in advance.
VVVVVVV

its clinical to use it as a noun and sounds dehumanizing

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain

Thanks in advance.

This is the thread that talks about it, the first post (and many others) have a good explanation of why it can be offensive:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/please-stop-referring-to-women-as-females-read-op.55731/

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's not really helpful.
Why is the usage of male not an issue but female is ?

Edit:

Nevermind it is helpful. I thought the second oart part of your post was quoting another member with a diffrent issue.

I'll read up on the article.

I think I get it now...the term itself isn't the issue but addressing other persons with male or female. Yeah this makes sense, english isn't my native language but even i understand how weird it sound referring to a person as male/female in a conversation.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's not really helpful.
Why is the usage of male not an issue but female is ?
because it doesn't happen as often and doesnt' happen specifically because of gender. women are treated different than men resulting in people(men) saying dumb shit like "men and females". The more you listen to people who talk like that the more you realize how that how they think of women is different than men
Using "male" is weird. but like you said its not an issue.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I will never, ever understand how people are so vehemently and ignorantly still question the "females" thing.

Is it so hard to just goddamn listen, and accept? This brings me back to all the insane discussions about the R-Word, I thought we had progressed from that.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
As with a lot of things, the words you use can put you on one side or another of an issue. If you are a white dude, look on twitter and see what kind of white dudes are using the word "females". They are 99% trash.

Do you want to be trash? Call women females.

Want to be on the "good people" side? Don't call women females. You don't need a painstaking grammatical explanation.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
because it doesn't happen as often and doesnt' happen specifically because of gender. women are treated different than men resulting in people(men) saying dumb shit like "men and females". The more you listen to people who talk like that the more you realize how that how they think of women is different than men
Using "male" is weird. but like you said its not an issue.
Yeah I edited my post.
This is pretty much what i was already thinking from common sense but since I wasn't hundred percent sure I needed a confirmation.

Then again I am also not around circles that use that kind of language to shit on women or make them feel like lesser people. So from a naive point of view it felt weird seeing people getting defensive about the term. Applied to real life settings and conversations where it is used to talk down to women it's a whole different issue.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I will never, ever understand how people are so vehemently and ignorantly still question the "females" thing.

Is it so hard to just goddamn listen, and accept? This brings me back to all the insane discussions about the R-Word, I thought we had progressed from that.
You do realize what a forum is for right ? I don't use the term to address people as said before ...I still can be interested in the reasoning why, considering I don't live in a english speaking country and its not my native language. I had a feeling what it was about and wanted to use the thread for a confirmation on it.

No need to be a dick about it.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You do realize what a forum is for right ? I don't use the term to address people as said before ...I still can be interested in the reasoning why considering I don't live in a english speaking country.

Did I quote, or specifically address you? Half of this thread is about people questioning the reasoning behind "females".

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rule of thumb surrounding usage of "female". Ask yourself:

"Would I use the casual guys/men/boys here if I were talking about guys/men/boys?"

If yes, use "ladies/women/girls" and occasionally you can get away with using "guys" as a gender neutral collective noun but it tends to raise eyebrows.

If no, and the context is probably statistical, medicinal, biological, economical, etc. then you can use female without worry.

No one goes around calling people "homo erectus" even if it's technically correct. Technical language should be used in technical context, casual language should be used in casual context, otherwise you're just being weird and making other people feel weird.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean, the sole reason tha we can trace that sort of usage of the term "female" back to Pick up Artists should raise more than a few red flags for anyone.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize what a forum is for right ? I don't use the term to address people as said before ...I still can be interested in the reasoning why, considering I don't live in a english speaking country and its not my native language. I had a feeling what it was about and wanted to use the thread for a confirmation on it.

If you are asking in good faith, I don't think that post applies to you.

However, there's quite a number of people who vehemently doubt the legitimacy of the issue. Why, on the page right before this one was somebody who questioned why the word is demeaning, and when explained immediately called it silly and us being too sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.