• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
So if you check the credits for Artifact, Valve's latest game release, you can find Erik Wolpaw's name in the list of Valve employees, which suggested that he had rejoined Valve at some point before Artifact came out. He had previously left Valve in 2017 around the same time as Jay Pinkerton (since also returned to Valve) and Chet Faliszek (now working at Bossa).

Reddit

GabeN confirmed as well. Valve is gearing for a new announcement? A lot of writers returned to Valve in the last year.
2plbMtL.jpg

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Don't waste this dude's talent. Give us some actual freakin' games, Valve, instead of yet another vehicle for microstransactions.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
So how did Psychobauts 2 work then? He wrote an outline or something and then left? Curious. It's obviously not the same as writing a movie script and moving on. Hopefully Valve puts him to good use now that he's back.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Can we not do this dumb shit. It's 10am.
What dumb shit? It's an honest assessment, according to my own opinion, of Valve's repertoire.

So how did Psychobauts 2 work then? He wrote an outline or something and then left? Curious. It's obviously not the same as writing a movie script and moving on. Hopefully Valve puts him to good use now that he's back.
That game's basically content-complete, according to the latest dev vlog, so I think his job on that one is done.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
something half life will release eventually
it might not be half life 3
it might not be out for 5 more years

but something you will be able to buy on steam with the name half life in it will release someday, guaranteed

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
something half life will release eventually
it might not be half life 3
it might not be out for 5 more years

but something you will be able to buy on steam with the name half life in it will release someday, guaranteed
No "might not" about it. I won't be what people want. Which is to say, an actual ending to the actual thing they started a decade+ ago. That ship has sailed.

I think there's a chance that they'll start releasing some interesting stuff again though, in the context of VR, what with the Campo Santo acquisition. Maybe some sort of Half Life experience springs from that, who knows.

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he returned because he is interested to work on something he believes in, not just to get a pay check. Those are two different things

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get a single player game from them, preferably something first person again. HL 1/2 and the Portal games were all so good. L4D series was pretty fun as well but preferably we get something more of a campaign from em

I dont really care about MOBA or card stuff.

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
He was still working at Valve when he started on Psychonauts 2. There was a gag in the original crowdfunding video about Gabe letting him work on it (it's around the 2:52 mark in the video below). If he has anything left to write on it, still, I would imagine the same deal would be in place.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
He was still working at Valve when he started on Psychonauts 2. There was a gag in the original crowdfunding video about Gabe letting him work on it (it's around the 2:52 mark in the video below). If he has anything left to write on it, still, I would imagine the same deal would be in place.

Oh, right! I forgot Valve just lent him out for that.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I truly think Half Life VR is real, and is being made to push new VR headsets and the Knuckles stuff. It matches what Gabe said and every little leak that happened around it.

The problem is, as always with Valve, whether it'll actually release or not.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope it's some Sp games which I can buy on consoles because having the choice is great.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Can we seriously stop this "no real games" shit?

I think in this case it's less of a "Valve no longer makes games" false argument and more down to the fact Erik Wolpaw is specifically a writer and Valve haven't released a narrative-focused title for eight years now. Completely agree that its silly to say Valve haven't done anything since Portal 2 as they have CS, Dota, and Artifact - but it's definitely exciting that there seems to be a reason they have high-profile writers returning to the company.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I truly think Half Life VR is real, and is being made to push new VR headsets and the Knuckles stuff. It matches what Gabe said and every little leak that happened around it.

The problem is, as always with Valve, whether it'll actually release or not.

I'm still convinced that Valve will be the ones who release the VR killer app. They're developing the VR Hard- and Software and that's why it's taking an eternity.

Can we seriously stop this "no real games" shit?

20m unique players (not a real game though)

https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/erik-wolpaws-top-10-games-of-2017/1100-5658/

Well, that's it. I'm out of the game industry and have no plans to return.

I wonder what happened...

Yakuza 0 on number 1. This dude has great taste.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Wolpaw and Laidlaw were probably content at Valve just writing lore and item descriptions, so them being underutilized for years is normal for them.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt people think that they haven't made real games since P2, but I would find it to be a shame if someone of Wolpaws talents would be working on something akin to their recent output.

It's not about that. It's about the MT in every fucking game. They build their games around those. The loot boxes that everyone hates so much basically started with Valve.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I bet if they actually got Half Life 3 going or some canonical continuation of Episode 2, they could get him and Laidlaw back just for that production's duration.
Wolpaw and Laidlaw were probably content at Valve just writing lore and item descriptions, so them being underutilized for years is normal for them.
Laidlaw did cite the work environment as being one of the reasons he quit, not specifically because of Valve but because of how game-development works and how "chaotic" it can be, which valve is due to how they move between projects all the time.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, i'm sure he'll do a great job helping out with the storefront. Someone needs to edit all those descriptions.