• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

The entire video is definitely worth a watch, but here's the quote in question regarding the English voice production...
Erika Harlacher said:
It was like about to start – right when quarantine went into effect, and then we had to like kind of put it on hold, thinking that we would just go back into the studio in a couple of weeks, and then we didn't. Then we had to come up with a plan B.
Most already figured that the pandemic was what took Persona 5 Strikers so long to get localized, but now we have confirmation. Either way, I'm glad that everyone involved stayed safe & healthy.

Source: Cassandra Lee Morris (YouTube)

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Makes sense - script localized and done before the game launches in Japan, set up studio time only for it to shut down, then pivot to remote recording.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ you nearly gave me a heart attack.

I just saw her name and thought this was gonna be another VA turning out to be an asshole thread.

Anyway that's about what I figured but nice to have confirmation.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I expect this is a story we're going to hear a lot over this year, and next year.
At least the game is coming.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just saw her name and thought this was gonna be another VA turning out to be an asshole thread.

Haha that's the same reaction I have every time I see "voice actor" or "music composer" or some other variant.

I hate that I get this reaction lately.

Oct 26, 2017

haha, this is always my first reaction to these threads now. It's like, ugh, what now... Loved Erika as Ann and Violet. They both seem very sweet in this video

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
What names did they mispronounce in Persona 5?

The last names mostly; the actors knew how to say them the with the "legit" Japanese pronunciations and were saying them as such, but the voice director explicitly instructed them to pronounce things the way they did in the final game, basically as a Westerner with some knowledge of Japanese would, but not like someone fluent in both languages would (too much emphasis on syllables).

Also, Erika herself is a pretty damn great person in case folks weren't already aware.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Or by the company itself. I remember when the LatinAmerican Spanish dub trailer for BOTW a lot of people complained that Hyrule was pronunced as 'ee-roo-leh', and the dubbing company had to come forward to say that Nintendo mandated that pronunciation.

Lol I hadn't heard of that. That's wild. I wonder if they just assume it's more palatable to audiences with the change.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The last name stuff was so weird, because it wasn't even consistent. Sometimes they pronounce the name correctly, and then someone else pronounces it the weird way. They also only do it for family names and not first names for some reason.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder when they decided to develop the PC version (after P4G sales, but maybe before that?). If it wasn't the pandemic it probably would have come at a later date instead of day one with PS4/Switch.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I do wonder when they decided to develop the PC version (after P4G sales, but maybe before that?). If it wasn't the pandemic it probably would have come at a later date instead of day one with PS4/Switch.
I sorta doubt the Persona 4 Golden sales had that much of an impact. This is a Koei Tecmo game, and they were bringing over stuff like Dragon Quest Heroes well before Square Enix showed any interest in doing the same with the mainline games.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope they pronounce the names properly this time.
This is the fault of the director - not the actors.
voice director problem not an actor problem, common misconception. not that you probably care about that

It's not even the director (Keith & Valerie Arem knows enough to miss proper pronouncations)

Afaik it was Atlus mandated pronouncation dunno which if Atlus Japan or Atlus USA

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who Persona 5 Strikers is for.

For those looking to get into Persona that felt like 5 was too daunting, this much more compact game is still incredibly dense.

Diehard fans will find it stripped of what made Persona 5 great.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Wasn't the dub for 13 Sentinels done completely via WFH? It's interesting if that was a bigger priority last year than this. Then again, 13 Sentinels releasing without a dub on day 1 was a real possibility and I doubt they would take that risk for a Persona game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who Persona 5 Strikers is for.

For those looking to get into Persona that felt like 5 was too daunting, this much more compact game is still incredibly dense.

Diehard fans will find it stripped of what made Persona 5 great.

Odd bump but ok.

You're assuming those are the only reasons someone could be interested in Strikers.

Maybe they like the idea of an action based Persona game. Maybe they just want more of the characters. I have my own issues with P5S but I'm still real excited to play it.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Odd bump but ok.

You're assuming those are the only reasons someone could be interested in Strikers.

Maybe they like the idea of an action based Persona game. Maybe they just want more of the characters. I have my own issues with P5S but I'm still real excited to play it.

I say at the end of my preview that I think diehards will still like it. I just don't think their passion for it will come close to the passion they have for 5. Full review out in February.