• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a new Vulture interview...

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/erykah-badu-in-conversation.html

That's not something most of us are good at.
We're not, and I'm okay with that. I'm also okay with anything I had to say about Louis Farrakhan. But I'm not an anti-Semitic person. I don't even know what anti-Semitic was before I was called it. I'm a humanist. I see good in everybody. I saw something good in Hitler.

Come again?
Yeah, I did. Hitler was a wonderful painter.

No, he wasn't! And even if he was, what would his skill as a painter have to do with any "good" in him?
Okay, he was a terrible painter. Poor thing. He had a terrible childhood. That means that when I'm looking at my daughter, MarsBadu's daughter with enigmatic rapper Jay Electronica. She also has another daughter, Puma, with the West Coast rapper the D.O.C. , I could imagine her being in someone else's home and being treated so poorly, and what that could spawn. I see things like that. I guess it's just the Pisces in me.

But don't you think that someone as evil as Hitler, who did what he did, has forfeited the right to other people's empathy?
Why can't I say what I'm saying? Because he did such terrible things?

I'm surprised the interviewer didnt just walk off after that. Why would you want to paint Hitler as a victim?!

Bonus material
So you see Trumpism as a short-term reactionary thing?
The thing about Trump is that he's a bad guy to the point where it looks manufactured. Are we playing games here? He can't really be that bad.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
68a.jpg

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"He was a terrific painter"

No he hasn't

"Ok he wasn't... but look at his poor childhood."

Wut

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no. Fuck Hitler. That should be easiest sentiment in the world to understand and express.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Sigh, sadly I have watched my favorite singer deteriorate into Yoko Ono like weirdness for years now. This doesn't surprise me too much. Pre-Windows Seat video Badu is best Badu.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
More about Cosby.

What's your opinion on this larger discussion happening now about about whether we can separate the art from the artist, be it XXXTentacion or Fela or Louis C.K. or Bill Cosby or whomever?
It takes me back to a story my grandmother told me about Jesus and Barabbas. Jesus is standing on one side, Barabbas is standing on the other side, and the people have to choose which one of them could go free. Some people started yelling, "Barabbas! Barabbas! Barabbas!" Then so many people were doing that that the others found safety in numbers, and they also started yelling, "Barabbas! Barabbas! Barabbas!" People walked up who didn't even know what was going on and they also started yelling for Barabbas to go free. I always think about that. It's so important to me.

I think I follow, but can you tell me more about how that parable applies here?
That I don't want to get scared into not thinking for myself. I weigh everything. Even what you just asked me, I would have to really think about it and know the facts in each of those situations before I made a judgment. Because I love Bill Cosby, and I love what he's done for the world. But if he's sick, why would I be angry with him? The people who got hurt, I feel so bad for them. I want them to feel better, too. But sick people do evil things; hurt people hurt people. I know I could be crucified for saying that, because I'm supposed to be on the purple team or the green team. I'm not trying to rebel against what everybody's saying, but maybe I want to measure it. Somebody will call me and ask me to come to a march because such and such got shot. In that situation I want to know what really happened. I'm not going to jump up and go march just because I'm green and the person who got shot is green. The rush to get mad doesn't make sense to me.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hitler wasn't even a good painter/artist, there's a chance he wouldn't have went on to become Hitler if he was good enough to get into Art School. So not only is this faux deep, it's historically inaccurate.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the exact situation that "baby what is you doing" pic was made for....

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
When keeping it real goes wrong

I mean, I understand the beauty of trying to see the innate innocense in every being, unmolested by their environment. But when you're arguing for the positive traits of Adolf Hitler you've made a wrong turn somewhere.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I hate this "Hitler was a good painter" shit.

He had problems with perspective and light sources, and did nothing but boring traditionalist watercolours. Postcards, basically.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Erykah has made some incredible, thoughtful music but she has also said a lot of dumb shit.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Her explanation as to why Hitler had good in him doesn't make any sense.

I mean, I feel bad for Trump, but because he has a mental disorder and he can't function normally. Not because "he was a good painter".

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I had to come back cause this shit is killing my brain.

This is the type of shit you hear white people saying about some dumb racially insensitive joke or something. A black woman from Texas saying this shit? That's so off the mark and weird. And I know she's weird but what the fuck man.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Well, Hitler love dogs i suppose... if someone ask me what's his good point.

But seriously why would you mention Hitler during casual conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.