• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
ESA is a series of charity fundraising marathons revolving around speedrunning! For one whole week 400 gamers gather together to present world-class gameplay on Twitch.tv, completing games as fast as possible while raising money for a cause. In 2019, ESA Summer will be raising more than ever for the Swedish Alzheimer's Foundation in the quest to end Alzheimer's disease.

ESA Summer 2019

Dates: 19 to 28 July 2019
Venue: Quality Hotel View, Malmö

Schedule here

If you want your speedrunning fix after SGDQ has ended, this is your chance! Currently playing Perfect Dark on stream, so check it out!

Stream:

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get enough of some good speedruns. Hope ESA Summer attracts more viewers this year.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elajazz is my favorite runner during ESA. Is he attending this year?

Edit: oh damn linkus is running botw!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The arcade room here is totally off the chain. They got Groove Coaster (though one of the two machines broke), Jubeat, an SSFIV Arcade cabinet, a Blazblue CS Extend cabinet, Star Wars Racer Arcade, four cabinets loaded with 800 arcade games including just about every old Capcom and SNK arcade game, as well as stuff like Turtles In Time and Simpsons Arcade, pinball cabinets based on Super Mario and Street Fighter, and a Quick & Crash cabinet. Hard for me to leave the area.

man, this Katana Zero race was great! The game looks fun and stylish as hell.
Can recommend. It's my favorite game of the year so far.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The arcade room here is totally off the chain. They got Groove Coaster (though one of the two machines broke), Jubeat, an SSFIV Arcade cabinet, a Blazblue CS Extend cabinet, Star Wars Racer Arcade, four cabinets loaded with 800 arcade games including just about every old Capcom and SNK arcade game, as well as stuff like Turtles In Time and Simpsons Arcade, pinball cabinets based on Super Mario and Street Fighter, and a Quick & Crash cabinet. Hard for me to leave the area.

Can recommend. It's my favorite game of the year so far.

will definitely keep in mind!

how's attendance so far?

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
man, I dunno how to feel about this DMC4 streamer. He's like funny at times and then incredibly annoying at others.

The gatekeeping shit is completely unnecessary, but hey... I'm not going to tell a runner how to commentate their own games, tbh :P

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Game sound on Stardew is really high compared to the runners. Either that or this dude talks low.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Man, that MYST speedrun was good as hell. TBH I've never gotten far in MYST - I literally don't know where to go first/what to do and the last time I played it I got a bit farther than ever before but I was also using a guide so it wasn't particularly engaging.

Is is actually possible to get far in that game *without* using a guide? :P

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Ultima 9 seems like a game that was ambitious as fuck but: A) development hell fucked it up beyond saving and, B) even if it had come out better, it would've still been like too "before its time".

Because there's a difference between doing a 2D open world stuff like U7 and try to replicate that in 3D. I don't think the tech was there yet, at least not for what Ultima fans expected out of a main game in the series.

EDIT: I mean, they *could* have waited like 5 or 6 years before attempting that... but, of course, EA did not want to wait that long.

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I was just about to make a thread for this like I have in the past few years, since no one else ever does.

Schedule today is great.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Gothic was broken as hell, LMAO. Good old eurojank.

TES IV: Oblivion coming up soon! If you want to see that game broken... yet again :)

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I was just about to make a thread for this like I have in the past few years, since no one else ever does.

Schedule today is great.

yeah, lots of good stuff today!

just as a heads-up: there was going to be a Deus Ex Mankind Divided run yesterday that was cut because they were running late on schedule. The runner confirmed it was moved to today, on Stream 2, in a bit over 4 hours from now on. So if you want to see a DXMD run, you know when to tune in! :D

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I think I'm one of the few people who don't find Monster Hunter THAT appealing.

Then again, I only tried MHTri on the Wii and didn't get very far...

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see the message pop up saying a weapon is breaking I die a little inside.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Won't be able to tune into this until tomorrow but it's something I've been really looking forward to.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Tony Hawks's Underground currently on Stream 2, if you guys are interested.

Me? I'm incensed that the game doesn't actually take place underground. Preposterous!

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I was definitely worried about Linkus' run due to his perhaps ambitious estimate, and then the run seemed to be going unusually well...

I really enjoyed the Asghan: The Dragon Slayer run.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
That TLOU run was really cool.

lol the any% Left Behind is pretty neat, he can break it pretty hard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I had to stop watching the TLOU run... I haven't played that much of the game (essentially just before they reach the Capitol Building) so I didn't want to spoil myself on a lot of the secrets.

And yes, I have remained mostly spoiler free all this time, except for super vague stuff like how emotional the game is, or how deplorable certain characters can be. Nothing major. I'd like to remain that way until I'm finally able to sit down and experience it all myself :P

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop watching the TLOU run... I haven't played that much of the game (essentially just before they reach the Capitol Building) so I didn't want to spoil myself on a lot of the secrets.

And yes, I have remained mostly spoiler free all this time, except for super vague stuff like how emotional the game is, or how deplorable certain characters can be. Nothing major. I'd like to remain that way until I'm finally able to sit down and experience it all myself :P

It is one of my favorite games of all time. I get a lot of people think it is overrated and gets way too much attention but it legitimately is a game I have played and replayed. Hopefully you find the time to play it yourself. Also you did well by avoiding the run, the guy on commentary was explaining all of the story beats as they skipped the cutscenes so you would have had that sort of stuff ruined.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Also you did well by avoiding the run, the guy on commentary was explaining all of the story beats as they skipped the cutscenes so you would have had that sort of stuff ruined.

yeah, I noticed that and after the point that I had previously reached in my only playthrough he summarized a cutscene I hadn't seen yet and I thought "welp, gotta mute this when he speaks"

then after a couple of minutes I realized I didn't want to spoil myself on the gameplay areas either, so I just closed the window.

It was still an amazing run, from what I was able to see - the way he made the highest difficulty of the game look like a fucking cakewalk speaks volumes.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
what happened during the RE4 run? they just did a ''we're sorry for what happened'' comment. :o

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
what happened during the RE4 run? they just did a ''we're sorry for what happened'' comment. :o

it was sarcastic and "meme" as fuck. Couch were constantly bickering with the runner (and viceversa), borderline bullying him but they all -including the runner- went with the "it's just bantz between m8s, bro. Don't be a soft soyboy" route.

And when I say "sarcastic" I do mean it - maybe "post-ironic" is the term? Very "this shit barely matters because it's NG+ so let's talk about other stuff instead" using constant 4chan shoutouts, references to the runner's height and receding hairline and a discussion of his speedrunning abilities. He was "on the joke", anyway, so he went the self-deprecating route too.

He also tried to do a Fortnite dance thingie TWICE and failed miserably in both.

It was... quite something. Very surreal tbh. A lot of the times the commentary was much more engaging than the run itself (because... NG+, you're mostly one-shotting everything) and other times it was borderline meanspirited. Obviously a lot of Twitch Chat loved it and spent ample time crying how that run wouldn't be possible in the "sanitized" GDQ and how seeing people getting "triggered" was so good - while others were "this is cringy as fuck, I have to turn it off".

Watch the VOD if you can - I'm sure within the first... dunno, 5 or 6 minutes you'll pretty much see how the run's going to be for the entire 1 hour and 20+ minutes.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
it was sarcastic and "meme" as fuck. Couch were constantly bickering with the runner (and viceversa), borderline bullying him but they all -including the runner- went with the "it's just bantz between m8s, bro. Don't be a soft soyboy" route.

And when I say "sarcastic" I do mean it - maybe "post-ironic" is the term? Very "this shit barely matters because it's NG+ so let's talk about other stuff instead" using constant 4chan shoutouts, references to the runner's height and receding hairline and a discussion of his speedrunning abilities. He was "on the joke", anyway, so he went the self-deprecating route too.

He also tried to do a Fortnite dance thingie TWICE and failed miserably in both.

It was... quite something. Very surreal tbh. A lot of the times the commentary was much more engaging than the run itself (because... NG+, you're mostly one-shotting everything) and other times it was borderline meanspirited. Obviously a lot of Twitch Chat loved it and spent ample time crying how that run wouldn't be possible in the "sanitized" GDQ and how seeing people getting "triggered" was so good - while others were "this is cringy as fuck, I have to turn it off".

Watch the VOD if you can - I'm sure within the first... dunno, 5 or 6 minutes you'll pretty much see how the run's going to be for the entire 1 hour and 20+ minutes.

I would like to watch it myself but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) there doesn't seem to be any footage of the incident. I guess ESA doesn't want to release it and I can't blame them.

OP
OP
Altazor

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I think that the reason they put out the statement is because there were some gay/racist jokes thrown in there. I'd be lying to say that I remember what where those, but I was half-asleep most of the time and just remember the general vibe instead of specific moments.

I do remember the runner openly declaring to hate people going "HYYYYYPEEEEE" at GDQs and then the couch taunting him with said word done in a very exaggerated way.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for ESA. They dont even get a fraction of donations from what GDQ gets.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always preferred the more laid back nature of ESA to something like GDQ. These guys need more love.

I'm enjoying the Zelda CDi run rn. The perspective of the animated cutscenes always weirded me out. It's like the characters wrap around the camera.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
ESA has always been more of a meetup for speedrunners than a polished commercially driven event.

I can only watch the classic N64 and SNES games run for so many years. These CDi games, forgotten budget PC titles and more recent console games are refreshing.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. I missed the awful block. I'll have to circle back later.

This is a couple days ago already, but the quick Solstice race was neat. I forgot that game existed, but remember the game giving me fits way back in the day. So to see them race through in 10 minutes, memorizing every single step, was amazing to me.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see a thread for this and sad it gets so much less attention then GDQ. Caught the Sonic games earlier and parts of GTASA on second stream. Will have to catch up on most of the event when I'm done with my rewatch of SGDQ.