• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they do something so stupid...
Screams in the video was so horrifying, the whole situation just fucking sucks.
You are asking why would drunken football fans do something so stupid, right? Also what the guy screams in the end is "Fuck you all, faggots!" in russian. Not like that matters in that situation, but still it's interesting initial reaction.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
I still get goosebumps thinking about that Chinese escalator incident where the mother falls into a loose plate at the top of the escalator while giving her child she had on her arms to an attendee at the top, just seconds before. She was crushed. (the escalator had an out of order sign)

holy fuck, it took them 4 hours to remove her body from the thing. but she died :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B4uKz8Kb2U

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope no one is seriously hurt. That said, I feel like that should be the default speed of every escalator. If it's going to be leisurely slow, I might as well take the stairs. I've got places to be dammit.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
Having been around open escalators as they are being wired and serviced, it is scary what they could do.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on an escalator that suddenly stopped before. Luckily it was slow, small, and heading upwards. I was also holding on to the rail so I didn't crash. Still, it's amazing the g forces in something that seems so slow.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
How is it even allowed to go at that speed!?

Shouldn't there be a speed cap for this very reason?

That's why this was a malfunction. Looks like maybe the downward force on the escalator exceeded the factor of safety for the braking mechanism, causing it to...break and send the steps into a mostly frictionless free-rotation.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Yo for real, the first time I got on it I almost freaked out. I'm terrified of heights.

I did it once not realizing how high it was and there were no staircases. I started walking down normally and then all of a sudden I got lightheaded and dizzy. I looked down and realized that it's not only far up it is, but its vertically. I held on to that railing as my life depended on it. I nope the shit out of that thing and just walk the extra block to use the elevator now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that thing was booking, was it shorting out or something?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This is legit my greatest fucking fear.

The stop I go to every day has a MASSIVELY long escalator, and I always have a vision of it letting go for some reason...
journalsqrescalator.jpg

ALSO, everyone needs to remember emergency stops at the top and bottom of these things... looks impossible to hit in that video, but someone at the top can also hit it and hopefully put a stop to it... god damn.

Hey, Exchange Place! Whenever I leave from work I run down this escalator like a madman whenever it's clear of people. I always imagine tripping and falling forever lol.

Also I do always keep in mind the emergency stops when on an escalator. I happened to see a video semi-recently of a woman getting sucked into an escalator because of the floor plate being messed up, and it kinda messed me up regarding the beginning and ends of escalators.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They have arrived at their final destination.

I remember once going down an escalator that was immensely steep. I couldn't help wondering how easily people could go tumbling down if somebody tripped and fell.
Steep escalators immediately prompt me to take the stairs.

this video highlights why steep escalators prompt me to take the stairs, especially crowded escalators.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
why won't it let me link this gif? :(

crazy. folks who are just looking over to see what's coming, while still speeding down.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Hey, Exchange Place! Whenever I leave from work I run down this escalator like a madman whenever it's clear of people. I always imagine tripping and falling forever lol.

Also I do always keep in mind the emergency stops when on an escalator. I happened to see a video semi-recently of a woman getting sucked into an escalator because of the floor plate being messed up, and it kinda messed me up regarding the beginning and ends of escalators.

Boy do I hesitate to show you this... https://youtu.be/3yBb8PqgjE8

Also... live right near there - love the JC connection!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's scary fast. Usually have emergency stop buttons don't they but I guess it happens so fast. Needs better fail safes.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i've seen some horrible escalator videos, these shit can kill you in an instant!

i hate to say this but the guy was lucky to just lose one foot considering the whole thing

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Ah shit, and this is the issue... at the bottom of it, plates were ripping off, and those things are basically shears, so you can easily see the injuries happening... HOLY HELL that is scary:
rome-escalator-incident-soccer-fans.jpg
Imagining going down that escalator at the speed they were with that at the bottom, fucking hell. Might as well have a meat grinder at the end, terrifying. And hearing that someone lost a leg, I can see why now.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Being killed or maimed by a big machine is up there with one of my most terrifying ways to die. Just so impersonal, I'd rather get ran over by a texting teenager at the wheel.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do these engineers not have a safety auto-stop when a speed limit is breached. 0-60 time = Tesla ludicrous. I'm in awe how fast that thing was going and more people didn't bail to the sides over the rails.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
There must be failsafes in these things. How does a situation like this even happen.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
How do these engineers not have a safety auto-stop when a speed limit is breached. 0-60 time = Tesla ludicrous. I'm in awe how fast that thing was going and more people didn't bail to the sides over the rails.
It looks like it was in free-fall from a chain breaking. Maybe they could have an elevator-style break, but perhaps escalator redundancies are fewer than elevators.