• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
this is fucking terrifying, escalators are something that I worry about every time I get on one because I always imagine shit like this happening

I wonder if engineers can improve on the escalator and make it somewhat safer so that situations like this can be avoided?

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
And it;s not even the longest? (I don;t know, just Googled it myself.)

201407-062013-1.png

The Wheaton escalator is also the longest continuous escalator in the US I believe.

Too bad it takes you up to Wheaton.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Heartwarming to see other people trying to help. Scary situation. First impulse is of course to jump to the other side, but considering the speed of that escalator, you need to be fast and limb enough to make it somewhat safely over.

Fuck, that escalator had enough.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
People got severely injured in the accident; why are you keeping to make irony of it?

Btw, Rome is quite dangerous nowadays. The municipality is not taking care of streets and public transports at all.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
And it's not even the longest? (I don't know, just Googled it myself.)

201407-062013-1.png

Ugh. I have to use the Bethesda one every so often. Not a fan, especially when I always see that metro closes down escalators for repairs. I always think that means they're crappy and more likely to break down. Realistically, it's probably the opposite but that stuff still freaks me out.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop with the shit puns

At least 20 people have been injured after an escalator carrying football fans at a Romemetro station malfunctioned and sped up.

Footage captured by a witness showed passengers, including Russians heading to a Champions League match between Roma and CSKA Moscow, being crushed at the bottom of the moving staircase.

One person was seriously injured in the incident, police said, as local newspaper Il Messaggero reported a Russian had had his foot severed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-league-football-fans-injuries-a8598331.html

Rome-escalator.jpg

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
There's nothing funny about this. At all.

Imagine if you or anyone from your family was on that thing. Imagine being that person having their foot amputated.

Your life can change drastically in an instant. A little bit of empathy and altruism is what we need. Not shitty posts and puns.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened to the escalators at the Stockholm metro station this year. They were not even a year old, were supposed to have a life expectancy of 30 years, and when they inspected the gears they were already worn out beyond repair. They had to shut down the commuter train platforms for weeks and it took months before the escalators were back running as usual.

I bet it's the same lowest bidder multinational company responsible for these incidents in Italy, Sweden and China alike. Profit margins over safety.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I had seen a gif of it this morning and thought it was a sped up video made for comedic reasons. Reading that it was real and that people got seriously injured really freaks me out. Reminds me of a lady I knew who feared escalators and I always thought it was one of those crazy unjustifiable fears - I realise now it really isn't that crazy.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Why does an escalator even have that speed? It should have a speed cap or somethung.
It would've been a pretty bad malfunction. The escalators in SF are constantly broken and if you ride the trains enough you get to see how they work (which is actually pretty interesting) and they look super complicated, like if one tiny thing went wrong a whole bunch of issues could just happen and lead to something like this incident.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like escalators should have some sort of safety mechanism preventing them from going that fast under failure

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
It brings back memories of one time in the London Underground where an old man about six people deep in front of me slipped and fell at the bottom of an escalator and couldn't get up. Of course, the escalator kept moving, and being a large fella, no one could easily step around him. Even if he had the power to get himself up, he was being inadvertently kicked and jostled as people were trying to jump over or around him. I got my foot caught in something at the bottom, and had to tear myself free with a clumsy dive to not get it crushed, which still wound up hurting my ankle, albeit with no injury.

That was a minor incident compared to this, but it certainly makes me feel really empathetic to what they must have experienced. Be careful on escalators, and godssakes, don't fall over at the bottom.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it can even move that fast. You'd think there'd be some kind of limiter.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I will never look at an escalator the same again. I can't imagine having kids with you when that happened. I would try and fling them off to the middle if possible, but it was all happening so quickly. Yikes! Scary stuff.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised it can even move that fast. You'd think there'd be some kind of limiter.

Likely that motorized mechanisms were compromised and the shear weight of the pedestrians created a crazy amount of momentum leading to a runaway situation.

Like an elevator dropping if the lines were severed.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I used to work at Plaza 3, right outside. Never seen this happen, but the escalators were always down for maintenance.
It was several years ago... not long after they were initially "fixed" following Sandy.

I've lived there for 10 years... and can say that the station (and escalators) really have never recovered from that storm.

But that escalator is large and terrifying. What that videos doesn't really show is the escalator next to it on the left (right on video) was being fixed at the time and was missing its stairs - so people couldn't really jump over to the left or they would have been really injured and fallen through the other escalator.