• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If and when you get into the game don't be shy to take advantage of Offline Raids (learning maps, settings testing..) and Scav (random generated one time use character on X minute cooldown, can transfer loot to main character) raids to figure out graphic, audio, and keybind settings.

Also me and others in this thread will gladly answers questions etc.
Yeah, thanks for the offer 👍 tarkov players always seem very friendly (outside of the game😃)

I have done quite a lot of scav runs on previous wipes, and dabbled a bit with offline mode.

I should use offline mode a lot more but because I have limited time I don't want to spend all of it in offline mode, so then I just go online, to at least play a bit.

I might finally try factory with shotguns and also keen to try arena mode.

I've probably played 30+ hours in total and have like 5 minutes of shooting experience 🫣

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yeah, thanks for the offer 👍 tarkov players always seem very friendly (outside of the game😃)

I have done quite a lot of scav runs on previous wipes, and dabbled a bit with offline mode.

I should use offline mode a lot more but because I have limited time I don't want to spend all of it in offline mode, so then I just go online, to at least play a bit.

I might finally try factory with shotguns and also keen to try arena mode.

I've probably played 30+ hours in total and have like 5 minutes of shooting experience 🫣

Now is really good time to get into practicing shooting. Full overhaul of recoil system they implemented in this latest major patch was game changed. Full auto is a lot more controllable with all guns, and single and burst firing are now actually viable. Just put weapon to full auto, and control firing with LMB (single taps, bursts, or mag dump).

Even naked M4, PP-19-01, MP5, AUG... feel amazing now. No need for 150k Ruble attachment package to make weapon viable.

Factory is great to get rid of fear gear, and get those really fast firefight engagements.

As Scav you want to figure out Streets. Map is loaded to gills with high quality loot. At times it feels like one building on Streets has more loot than whole Customs area. Amazing for money, ammo, crafting items etc.

re3mrStreetsofTarkov.png

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Now is really good time to get into practicing shooting. Full overhaul of recoil system they implemented in this latest major patch was game changed. Full auto is a lot more controllable with all guns, and single and burst firing are now actually viable. Just put weapon to full auto, and control firing with LMB (single taps, bursts, or mag dump).

Even naked M4, PP-19-01, MP5, AUG... feel amazing now. No need for 150k Ruble attachment package to make weapon viable.

Factory is great to get rid of fear gear, and get those really fast firefight engagements.

As Scav you want to figure out Streets. Map is loaded to gills with high quality loot. At times it feels like one building on Streets has more loot than whole Customs area. Amazing for money, ammo, crafting items etc.

re3mrStreetsofTarkov.png
Cool - thanks - all good info. I had heard mutterings about the new recoil model which was another reason for me to get back into it.

I might try a few factory runs offline with easy scavs etc just to get some practice in. I suspect even the easy ones will kill me a lot!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Peacemaker has pricing bug atm for ammo. All of his ammunitions are "discounted" when purchased in larger quantities. For e.g. 100x $2 ammo should come to 200, but currently it's something like $160 to $170 for 100 rounds of $2 ammo.

This seems to apply to all ammunitions his sells. Been grabbing AP 6.3 and L191 ammo on this "discount".

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I mean they somehow have to make money to keep the game alive.
There is no battle or season pass or any kind of cosmetics to purchase.
The game is around since 2017.
Arena isnt in a good spot yet so they have to find ways to make money without becoming P2W.
So I dont really mind this.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
One example, but similar rendering bugs can be found all over the game on all the maps. Difference between pictures is one step closer to the container I'm next to.

ZIoibSN.jpeg
tOkARSe.jpeg
GRUVP1f.jpeg
jmrgGlr.jpeg

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not good at pixel peeping, so they look identical to me...

/S

If there was a player behind the cover, would you see them do you think?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Really really want to get into this game, but the only thing that is preventing me from purchasing it is being overwhelmed by the pre-game setup and loadouts and the hideout, it just seems pretty daunting to me.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Really really want to get into this game, but the only thing that is preventing me from purchasing it is being overwhelmed by the pre-game setup and loadouts and the hideout, it just seems pretty daunting to me.

You can just choose to fully ignore hideout, especially during your first reset. Sure it gives you crafting options, some stats boosts etc., but you can "complete the game" without ever putting time into the hideout. For e.g. person who maintains best ammo charts for the game and plays game a lot rarely if ever pushes hideout past rank 1 stations, which are fast to get. Once you are more comfortable with core basics then you can look deeper into progressing hideout stuff.

That said game can be and is daunting to get into because amount of the systems it has, and how little it holds your hand at any point. Community maintained resources like Wiki, AmmoChart and MapGenie are great tools for figuring out stuff like how to complete tasks (this games quests), layouts of the maps etc. to make it bit easier for those aspects of the game. Then you have YouTube as great resource as Tarkov beginner, channels by Gigabeef, Pestily, SheefGG etc. have a lot good stuff for beginners. SheefGG has good video on setting up keybinds, gives good baseline to work with.

Does it sound like you need to to do quite a bit research to get going? Yes, because you should. While knowing X and executing X are very different things that knowledge gives you edge.

If you end up getting a game start small. Your first map should and will be Ground Zero as it's "beginner map". You can just go for something basic like "Loot something, kill a scav or player, loot the kill, and extract" to get your feet wet before even starting on tasks. Then "I have task X so I look it up from Wiki and will complete it, and extract".

When it comes to the gear I wouldn't worry too much about depth of it at the beginning. Is it now nice to have throat protection on your armor? Yes. Should you really sweat it at level 1 with 2 hours played? Not really. You get some gear to start with, and from that you can start with basic headset, helmet, armor vest, rig for mags, backpack and rifle (AK, MP5, M4..).

With weapons, mags and ammo you need to know which weapon takes what mags and ammo, but at the beginning as e.g. USEC you most likely have M4, one type of M4's mags and one type of M4 ammo available to you. Also you need to have 1x2 slot free in your rig so when you reload your mag doesn't get dropped onto the ground, or if you bring extra rounds of ammo (aka not in the mag) make sure to put those into your secure container.

That all said I'm always open to answering questions about the game even if I don't have that many hours in it (hundreds vs. thousands of true veterans), and could e.g. use Discord to go through stuff if you end up getting the game.

Tarkov is a lot to learn, with high highs and very low lows.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. The actual game is the friendliest it's ever been, with the ground zero map, some new beginner quests, and the recoil is much much less than it was in the past.

Whether anyone enjoys this game or not depends a lot on their personality characteristics I think.

You have to be ok with failure, and loss, and you will probably be better off if you have very low expectations of what to achieve.

I get killed by scavs all the time, and am even worse at PvP, and I've dabbled with the game over 3 wipes or so, never making it last level 5 or 6, before I fall off again and play other games.

Ive always enjoyed my time with it, marvelling at how uncompromising and difficult it is, and getting to dabble with the game.

If you've got limited time, or limited budget, then it's harder to recommend because you'd probably get more fun and value elsewhere.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Ah ok - thanks. I assume the 28 rows are much more useful at the start of an account/wipe.

In Tarkov you never have enough inventory space. There is always more guns, armors, materials... to hoard.

28 rows more space is huge no matter at what point reset is going. Also enables non-EOD people to grab extra space fast, instead of in-game grind that is long and gruel.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Woolley Woolley!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Woolley said:
3 day pass for Tarkov Arena.

These are our awesome prizes:

• PC PC: Tarkov Arena

RC0101

Oct 27, 2017
After watching for a few years I finally built my PC and jumped into Tarkov. Ran 3 raids last night, died twice and made it out on the last one. Boy do I feel lost but had a lot of fun.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Appreciate it! Ground Zero is basically the starter map correct?

In a sense that first set of quests is on there, yeah. Because how game is designed and never holds your hand there isn't really starter anything, if that makes any sense. Following where quests / tasks take you early on is good idea for sure, and use community wiki to figure out where objectives and needed items are. Some stuff can be really obscure so leverage existing documentation to max. Wiki also has overlay maps for every... map. E.g. Ground Zero from wiki...

latest

Early on you will get real familiar with Ground Zero, Customs and Woods. Two latter ones are considered basically core maps of the game because how long they have been in, and are great for learning the ropes.

P.S. Try running around as little as need, just use different speeds of walking (indicated by white bar at bottom left). You can end up surprised how that lets you get drop on other players as they don't hear you stomping around. Also if you "crouch + drop movement speed to minimum" you will make ZERO sound to other players around you, brokenly good for moving in on a target when you know where they are.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I have a key for something called Tarkov Arena, no idea what that is, I didn't even remember I bought Tarkov in the first place. If someone want it, dm me.