• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Escape-From-Tarkov-Which-PMC-To-Choose-Bear-Or-Usec-900x506.jpg

If you don't know what Escape From Tarkov is - "Escape from Tarkov is a hardcore and realistic online first-person action RPG/Simulator with MMO features and a story-driven walkthrough."

Developed by Russian developer Battlestate Games, Escape From Tarkov is currently in it's 6th year of development on the Unity engine and is currently in closed Beta (access upon pre-order).

You play as a near future mercenary and you drop into instances of a handful of maps with other players set in a military deadzone in Russia. Your goal is to get loot by opening containers or killing other players and looting their corpses. There are also "Scavs", which are poorly equipped, often times sick civilians turned bandits controlled by AI looking to fill you full of lead and steal your shit, though you can go on a Scav Run and take control of one of these if you want. When you die in Tarkov, everything you have equipped is gone for good. Chest rig, gun, ammo, health supplies, valuables, all gone with a few bullets. This makes EFT a high-risk, high-reward game.

There's a heavy emphasis on realism, with a hud that's borderline non-existent, accurate damage model, and weapon customization that is to die for.

Wanna know how many bullets you have in your magazine? Press Alt+T to remove your mag and look at it, giving you a rough estimation.

Did you just pick up a gun? Better press Shift+T to open the bolt and check for a round in the chamber.

If you're in a fire-fight and need to reload quick, double tap R to dump your magazine on the ground for a faster reload instead of placing it back into your rig. Just be sure to pick it back up (if you survive).

There is no compass and the map you have (if you bought one) is completely static. You have to figure out where you are on it.

There are also a ton of movement variations such as complete variable speed (go slow to not be heard) and multiple stance steps between fully standing and fully prone (a la ARMA).

If you get shot in the leg with a high caliber weapon, you might have a broken leg. Now you're walking slower than AOL dial-up. Better get to cover, splint your leg, take a medkit, and down some pain killers. You'll be back in the fight for a bit before the painkillers wear off.

It certainly has it's technical rough edges, but I like that the devs are taking risks and doing something different. It has a steep learning curve and knowing someone is close to you while you slowly try to flank them is intense to say the least. Like Battle Royale feelings magnified.

I barely started playing this last night and I'm excited to play more. For some reason I've been in the mood for a survival game and the realistic gun and load-out management of EFT is really scratching that itch.

Join the Escape From Tarkov Era Server!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
For those unaware, this game is EXTREMELY focused on realism. More than Insurgency, more than SQUAD, more than ARMA.

The first time I went out on a mission, I had no ammo, because I didn't realize I had to load rounds in the magazines, then put said magazines into my weapon/belt.

It also has some of the toughest AI I've seen in years. It's difficult to tell the difference between AI and real players.

Though don't let "Unity" scare you. The game runs pretty well, and can actually be downsampled, unlike most Unity games I've played.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
While this is a game I will never, ever play (way too hardcore for me) I have to say I love watching others play it.

A Youtuber named Devildoggamer plays it a lot and just recently posted a video showing off some of the newest stuff in the latest patch:

OP
OP
BossLackey

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
For those unaware, this game is EXTREMELY focused on realism. More than Insurgency, more than SQUAD, more than ARMA.

The first time I went out on a mission, I had no ammo, because I didn't realize I had to load rounds in the magazines, then put said magazines into my weapon/belt.

It also has some of the toughest AI I've seen in years. It's difficult to tell the difference between AI and real players.

Though don't let "Unity" scare you. The game runs pretty well, and can actually be downsampled, unlike most Unity games I've played.

Yeah, last night I went on a Scav run and killed 3 Scavs and escaped. I thought they were AI, but they were all human. Hard to distinguish between them because of the way the AI acts.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to get into it but I know the game needs a ton of ram and I only have 8GB at the moment. Once I upgrade I know I'm going to sink a ton of time in it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A friend purchased this for me as a gift to play with him. The best way I can describe escape from Tarkov. Is what the Divisions dark Zone tried to be. But with the combat of Arma x Stalker. It's a bit buggy here and there, laggy and it's completely lopsided in terms of power with a lot of players being completely kitted out. But it's awesome to take high level players down with some wits and timing as a scav.

I think the game has a ton of potential if they can work in more event type mechanics, maps and other risk/reward elements.

It's a very simple game, but it does what it sets out to fairly well.

Last edited:

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Is this a Dayz-like "lose all your gear when you die and start over again," type of open-world? Or is there a progression?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've noticed a lot of people at work playing this lately. It's been around for a while. Why the sudden uptick?

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Is this a Dayz-like "lose all your gear when you die and start over again," type of open-world? Or is there a progression?
there are 2 modes, scav, and PMC.

when you play as a scav, you are given a random load out (you can't use what you've looted in other matches from your inventory). but if you pick stuff up with a scav and survive, what you found is carried over to your stash, but still if you die as a scav in that match, whatever you have looted will die with you. there is a timer on scav mode though, if you die (or even survive, can't remember atm, don't play much as scav myself) then you can't play for 10-15 mins or so, you'd have to choose your PMC char.

when you play as pmc, you are playing your character, which means it's your loadout of weapons, ammo, armor, etc, from your stash, from items you have scavenged in matches. if you die, you lose those items. and of course whatever you gathered in a match playing as your char, if you survive, is carried into your stash.

so yes there is persistence and progression from match to match, the game is really high risk vs high reward, so what you do in a match etc depends on you, and what you bring in your load out (of course, a really well kitted out char has a higher survivability, from armor, meds, etc, but of course if you die… well, you will lose some very good weapons, armor, etc). the high end/metagame is of course PMC-orientated, but starting out you'd prob be mixing the two modes

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017

when you play as a scav, you are given a random load out (you can't use what you've looted in other matches from your inventory). but if you pick stuff up with a scav and survive, what you found is carried over to your stash, but still if you die as a scav in that match, whatever you have looted will die with you. there is a timer on scav mode though, if you die (or even survive, can't remember atm, don't play much as scav myself) then you can't play for 10-15 mins or so, you'd have to choose your PMC char.

when you play as pmc, you are playing your character, which means it's your loadout of weapons, ammo, armor, etc, from your stash, from items you have scavenged in matches. if you die, you lose those items. and of course whatever you gathered in a match playing as your char, if you survive, is carried into your stash.

so yes there is persistence and progression from match to match, the game is really high risk vs high reward, so what you do in a match etc depends on you, and what you bring in your load out (of course, a really well kitted out char has a higher survivability, from armor, meds, etc, but of course if you die… well, you will lose some very good weapons, armor, etc). the high end/metagame is of course PMC-orientated, but starting out you'd prob be mixing the two modes
To add on to this:

There is a small container you can take with you and fill with stuff you really want to save. From what I understand, the stuff in that container is safe even if you die, but it doesn't have a lot of room.

In addition, you can insure some of your items for your money. If you die (and if nobody else takes that item from you and extracts), then you will get the item back.

I've been hooked on watching streamers play this. Very intense given how little actual gunfighting there is. Don't have the balls yet to try the game out myself.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017

To add on to this:

There is a small container you can take with you and fill with stuff you really want to save. From what I understand, the stuff in that container is safe even if you die, but it doesn't have a lot of room.

In addition, you can insure some of your items for your money. If you die (and if nobody else takes that item from you and extracts), then you will get the item back.

I've been hooked on watching streamers play this. Very intense given how little actual gunfighting there is. Don't have the balls yet to try the game out myself.

Huh, interesting. I might try it out when it goes on sale.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PvE component of Tarkov is what ruins the game for me. I don't like the fake players.
The PvE in HUNT is clearly AI and the boss is the ultimate goal.

I'm still very new to Tarkov but I like the PvE. AIs are dangerous and I rarely die to one thinking I got screwed. Bosses and their cronies are very powerful but you can easily avoid them until you know what you're doing. Plus there's the tension from the fact that any scav could actually be player controlled. I also like playing as a scav since it's a no risk way to gain experience playing the game, as well as loot.

I find it much more enjoyable than fighting ugly monsters that shuffle around sending swarms of poison bees after you

Dunfisch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've had friends bugging me to get this game for like... 3 years by now. I've tried it out on one of their accounts twice, but just couldn't get into it. Realism is fine, but the super hardcore PVP mode where you can permanently lose all your shit if it's not in a teensy safe storage or insured, yeah... how about no. Hardcore mode in most RPGs I understand, that's a different undertaking where you're just all-in from the start, but this gradual loss of all your gear, nope. It also makes it a competetive heaven, but no one casual would bother getting shafted all the time.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've had friends bugging me to get this game for like... 3 years by now. I've tried it out on one of their accounts twice, but just couldn't get into it. Realism is fine, but the super hardcore PVP mode where you can permanently lose all your shit if it's not in a teensy safe storage or insured, yeah... how about no. Hardcore mode in most RPGs I understand, that's a different undertaking where you're just all-in from the start, but this gradual loss of all your gear, nope. It also makes it a competetive heaven, but no one casual would bother getting shafted all the time.

There's always scav runs (random character with random loot) that you can do to replenish your stash if you lose a bunch of stuff. I die way more often than I extract but I still overall am increasing the value of my stash by completing missions and selling the valuable shit I find.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'm still very new to Tarkov but I like the PvE. AIs are dangerous and I rarely die to one thinking I got screwed. Bosses and their cronies are very powerful but you can easily avoid them until you know what you're doing. Plus there's the tension from the fact that any scav could actually be player controlled. I also like playing as a scav since it's a no risk way to gain experience playing the game, as well as loot.

I find it much more enjoyable than fighting ugly monsters that shuffle around sending swarms of poison bees after you
I guess I prefer the AI that isn't a threat. The AI in hunt is mostly there to make noise or leave a trail for other players to find you for pvp. The bosses are PoI that most will want to go to leading to pvp
cant do anything about the horror setting tho

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in trying this with Era people possibly, is there a discord? I don't know if I'd have the drive to learn it on my own.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I've been watching a lot of this YouTube lately, and it's been great for someone like me who just doesn't have the ability to play it. CohhCarnage has hundreds of episodes wherein he's learning the game and it's been entertaining (hopefully he's not a terrible person, I've only seen these videos).

I love the idea and would love to see a "lite" version of some of its ideas show up in more games (that would be manageable on a console).

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love this game but I'm terrible at it.

Maximum gear fear, all I do is pathetic Scav runs.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
CohhCarnage has hundreds of episodes wherein he's learning the game and it's been entertaining (hopefully he's not a terrible person, I've only seen these videos).

Cohh is one of genuinely good guys on the Twitch.

When he started years ago he was somewhat toxic in his behavior, but has done total 180 and strives to be better and to have community striving for that too.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game but I'm terrible at it.

Maximum gear fear, all I do is pathetic Scav runs.

I'm the same really. Looking at my stats, I've done 18 raids with my PMC and extracted 6 times. I've lost so much good gear/loot as a PMC and haven't really had any valuable runs when I have extracted.

As a SCAV though I've had some absolutely insane runs, like finding expensive weapons cases/lab keycards on dead bodies and amazing weapons and armour just left behind...and I extract roughly 9/10 times. Hell sometimes I'll spawn with good gear and I just run to the extraction point, cheap as hell but it works.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is their a marketplace where if I get something good, I can sell it for real money like PUBG?
I enjoy that stuff

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

From what I can gather it's going to take a loooooong time though.

Game is perfectly playable in its current state, so if you're interested please don't wait for a Steam release. Their launcher is fine.

Is it worth playing? Need to upgrade my PC but love these types of games?

It's the Dark Souls of first person shooters, I guess. It's brutally difficult at times with zero handholding and the kicker is if you die, you lose your stuff.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Sacriel and Summit making it so hard to resist buying the game but it looks so overwhelming, is there a good tutorial/beginners guide series for this? Oh btw is this the |OT|?

Jun 1, 2018
Sorry but Im angry ... what is going on with their support? Im locked out of my account for no reason, it says i need to contact them. its been over 2 weeks and still no message back. seriously, somehow their support is worse than blizzards.

Jan 15, 2018
So for people who have it, is it worth it to get the Left Behind edition? Or is it better to just but the standard edition and play?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN