• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It'll be old-school digital controls.
Do you know about Aka To Blue? Built and balanced for touchscreen controls by ex Cave devs.

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tanoshimasu.akatoblue&hl=en_GB
Apple - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aka-to-blue/id1255167241?mt=8

I've heard of this game but never knew it was by ex Cave devs. Will get it now on iOS. Thanks.

A Switch port was shown back in December 2017, but I don't think anything has been seen since.

aka-to-blue-656x875.jpg

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
I heard it was just a quick and dirty port of the mobile version running on the switch. They're currently concentrating on the Exa arcadia version, rebalanced for traditional controls, and they've said they've no intention currently to bring that to pc or console.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I was just thinking how much of a sin it was that this has never had a console port. Now I don't have to worry about being prosecuted to the full extent of the jam for playing with MAME in the US. It's the game that introduced me to both Cave and bullet hell so I have a lot of nostalgia. Plus it's got amazing boss music! I love picking Yusuke Sagami since when you select him it sounds like he says "YOU SUCK!"

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Was really hoping they would get back to Raizing games again with either Batrider or Bakraid but ESP Ra. De. finally getting a home port is exciting news, day one. Just hope it doesn't have issues and take over a year and a half to release like Ketsui.

Deleted member 3894

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Repost from Shmups OT.

M2 Shot Triggers ESP Ra.De coming to PS4 and now Nintendo Switch simultaneously. Digital, physical and deluxe physical versions planned.

denfaminicogamer said:
phAA.jpg

ここでソフトについての情報をいったん整理しておくと、『エスプレイド』はプレイステーション4とNintendo Switchで、それぞれ以下3種類のソフトが発売される予定だ。

(1)ダウンロード版
(2)物理メディア付きパッケージの初回生産版
(3)物理メディア付きパッケージの豪華限定版

Source

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i hope to god the others come to switch too. i'll (re)buy them all.

beautiful. just beautiful.

can't help the guwange in the photo isn't intentional.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
M2 Shot Triggers finally coming to Switch! I wonder if they're using one of the the CPU overclock modes given their previous issues with porting?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
YES! MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! Now if only Pro Gear would leap from that Capcom stick cade failure and come to consoles as well.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
There was a recent interview where they explained why they aren't releasing on PC or switch just yet

Another reason to hate windows 10

Sorry, but that explanation is pure bullshit, considering my 10 year old PC can run the game at 500% speed when I uncap the framerate in the current MAME version.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but that explanation is pure bullshit, considering my 10 year old PC can run the game at 500% speed when I uncap the framerate in the current MAME version.

The comment you quoted was an inaccurate translation--the issue isn't slowdown but input lag. W10 has an inherent amount of input lag that M2 currently can't mitigate (and the same goes for EXA which is essentially just a W10 box).

MAME isn't the gold standard for many of these games, either, but that's a separate discussion.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
great news. love this game!

edit: shit this is old, totally missed it. hope its coming to xbone and PC as well.

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow!! Can't wait to play ESP Ra.De on Switch in TATE with Flip Grip! Really hope this means more Cave shmups will eventually make their way to Switch.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The comment you quoted was an inaccurate translation--the issue isn't slowdown but input lag. W10 has an inherent amount of input lag that M2 currently can't mitigate (and the same goes for EXA which is essentially just a W10 box).

MAME isn't the gold standard for many of these games, either, but that's a separate discussion.
I have an idea: release it on a USB stick with it's own OS (some Linux flavour, obvs) and that way you have about as pure an experience as possible. Boom.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
M2 Shot Triggers finally coming to Switch! I wonder if they're using one of the the CPU overclock modes given their previous issues with porting?

I'm not sure they'd need to.

Firstly, the Cave arcade board for ESP RaDe is the Cave 68000. An arcade board from the mid-90's running off a Motorola 68000 CPU which itself started off 40 years ago.

Secondly, an iPhone 3GS did an outstanding job of running ESPGaluda II back in 2010. And an iPhone 4S ran Mushihemisama Futari back in 2012.

Based off that, surely a Nintendo Switch can easily run ESPRade (1996).

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Running the game at their preferred level of accuracy plus all the gadgets plus the extra provisions they use to reduce latency, etc is what makes it tough, not just running the games on their own.

They're not (or weren't) even confident they can do Batrider and Bakraid on PS4, and they use the same hardware as Garegga.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Wait a second, Batrider was on the table? I need to sit down.

They did an interview where they basically went over a lot of requests, and Batrider/Bakraid were games they said were particularly heavily requested from overseas. Their issue was that, because they were more technically advanced, they were harder to emulate and debug than Garegga despite running on the same hardware, and that something like Batrider would require them to make way more gadgets than usual.

Ra.De was their #1 requested game, by the way--a Japanese website ran a poll and when Ra.De won, they were able to use it as leverage with Atlus to get the license.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Running the game at their preferred level of accuracy plus all the gadgets plus the extra provisions they use to reduce latency, etc is what makes it tough, not just running the games on their own.

They're not (or weren't) even confident they can do Batrider and Bakraid on PS4, and they use the same hardware as Garegga.

I'm not doubting you but it seems a bit odd, seeing as the PS4 and Switch could probably just emulate the arcade code.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I'm not doubting you but it seems a bit odd, seeing as the PS4 and Switch could probably just emulate the arcade code.

It's about absolute accuracy, this is why people like M2's ports over others. Yea those systems can run the game, but will it be as accurate to the arcade as M2 wants? Probably not.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's about absolute accuracy, this is why people like M2's ports over others. Yea those systems can run the game, but will it be as accurate to the arcade as M2 wants? Probably not.

Thats' what I'm saying PS4 & Switch could easily run ESP RaDe arcade code under emulation. It's a 1998 arcade game running off the Cave 68000 board.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see this series come over to switch finally. Great system for shumps. I'd consider double dipping if the Ps4 ones came over.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I hope one day they'll port DoDonPachi DaiOuJou and Akai Katana. I would be so happy ;____;

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Not to, uh, anti-port-beg, but why not focus on games that didn't receive a home version yet? There's amazing ports on PS2 and 360 for both games you mentioned.
Those ports are now just as old, if not older than the original versions of Sega arcade games that M2 ported to the PS2 for the AGES 2500 series. It's true that home versions of games that are still arcade-only would be more valuable... but the ports you mentioned are still quite elusive for the average gamer as well.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Not to, uh, anti-port-beg, but why not focus on games that didn't receive a home version yet? There's amazing ports on PS2 and 360 for both games you mentioned.

Yeah, I'm with you. But as John Omaha also mentioned, those ports are, perhaps outside of Akai Katana, as old as some of the former AGES ports. I mean I still have means to play them (thankfully!), but I would definitely be happy to have an easier access to them on a modern system. Those two titles actually mean a lot to me, which is why I mentioned it. But yes of course, they should first focus on titles that haven't seen a home release yet.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
where is it? is there a release date somewhere?

ESP Ra.De. is really great, not too frantic, perfect game for bullet hell novices and an awesome introduction into the Cave range of shooting goodness

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
where is it? is there a release date somewhere?

ESP Ra.De. is really great, not too frantic, perfect game for bullet hell novices and an awesome introduction into the Cave range of shooting goodness

So far they've just given a general release window of "late 2019" so earliest we'll probably see it is November.