• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any other "sports" that are not physical competitions but accepted in the Olympics like chess? If yes, then this isn't an issue. If no, then yeah, probably not a good idea.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming and sport arguements aside, why is a product that's wholey owned by corporation in consideration for an Olympic sport? Like, this would be more of a worldwide commercial for Riot (or whoever) more than anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
eSports is one of the most cringeworthy things to watch. I wouldn't be able to handle them being in the Olympics unless it was done as a joke.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
I hope this is not. My husband is very competitive in Tekken as well as MVC:I but, having been dragged to so many of these competitions.. but.. is it really athletic? Don't get me wrong, I know there is a lot of skill involved, but I really don't think it belongs at the Olympics at all.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no real opinions on this... I mean, poker is considered to be a sport now. Granted, it DOES involve demanding facial muscle movement for the ultimate game face...

pokertells.jpg
Poker is called mind sport. There's more to the game than just keeping a straight face.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Any game that doesn't have guns is perfect for this.

So, puyo puyo vs tetris at the olyimpics please

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, those games require: training, friendly matches ("scrim") of even skill level, fast reactions and on the fly decisions, and coordination for multiplayer games.

Technology opens new paths we didn't think possible, so why not? I expect some high tech VR eSport when I'm an old fart.

MG3

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Playing vg isn't a sport. They're games that should not be categorized as athletic.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
No Olympic 'sport' should ever be fully owned by a company like all esports are. If Starcraft went public domain or something, then we can revisit. But Blizzard owning that IP is like the NBA owning basketball as a sport.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous but that's clearly where the momentum is heading, so it's probably a foregone conclusion that they'll include them.

At least make them use their real names to give it an air of respectability. The online handles they all still use are embarrassing.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Consider these two scenarios
A. A random stranger walks up to Simone Biles. They say "Hey! They say you're an olympian right?What do you compete in? Gymnastics? You must be one of the best athletes in the world then! *High-five*
B. A random stranger walks up to XxxChaos_EdgexxX. They say "Hey! They say you're an olympian right?What do you compete in? Video Games.......? *walks away"
The day video games enters the olympics is the day the olympics become a disgrace.
Edit: And yes, curling is still a better fit for the olympics than video games.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a video game forum, ERA/GAF sure hate any kind of organized competition around video games.

There's zero reason to oppose this besides a) being this mad that other people are better at video games than you b) obnoxiously stubborn conservatism.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I want this to happen so bad because esports are cool and there will be so many scorching hot takes about this.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with this, but the IOC would need to select the right games. I don't think any of the traditional sports games would be accepted well. Having NBA2K next to Olympic basketball just feels like you're asking for ridicule. You'd still need to take a strong stance to snuff the ignorant comments you'd get on Twitter if they included LoL or DOTA2, but I think it would go over better than traditional sports games.

Also, the violence should be a non-issue. If the Olympics can include Fencing and Wrestling those are more violent than Street Fighter or LoL. Maybe Mortal Kombat and Counter-Strike don't make it in, but a lot of games should be fine.

Consider these two scenarios
A. A random stranger walks up to Simone Biles. They say "Hey! They say you're an olympian right?What do you compete in? Gymnastics? You must be one of the best athletes in the world then! *High-five*
B. A random stranger walks up to XxxChaos_EdgexxX. They say "Hey! They say you're an olympian right?What do you compete in? Video Games.......? *walks away"
The day video games enters the olympics is the day the olympics become a disgrace.
Edit: And yes, curling is still a better fit for the olympics than video games.

Let me give you a difference scenario.

A. A Korean teen walks up to Simone Biles. They say "Hey! They say you're an olympian right?What do you compete in? Gymnastics? *walks away*
B. A Korean teen walks up to XxxChaos_EdgexxX. They say "Hey! They say you're an olympian right?What do you compete in? Video Games?!? *High-five*

A large number of teens don't care about traditional sports as much as they care about LoL or DOTA2. It's not just in Korea either. Lots of kids in the US know more about Pewdiepie (disgraceful, I know) than *insert famous Olympian*.

Edit: To clarify I'm not saying Pewdiepie is a professional gamer in an eSports sense. Just saying these are the new "sports heroes" to a lot of kids these days.

BlaineStarJoe

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a bad idea, if it's done correctly. Maybe there can be an independent international tournament. Wonder who would be the key source of consult to get this rolling. There's lots of cooks in the kitchen.