• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've restarted this game about three times and always ended up burning out on it eventually, which is a shame because I quite like it. Anyway, I'm in the mood to continue it right now so I wondered which mods you guys recommend. I'm about 35h into the game and looking for Dandelion in the capital as far as I can tell at least.

Fast travel from anywhere and all quest objectives on the map sound really good. What's everyone's opinion on the HD Reworked Project? Are the differences noticable ingame? Does it kill your performance? I can currently run the game at 4K/60 FPS and I'd like it to stay that way.

Generally, I dislike mods that change the game's balance. I also don't need nudity mods.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Friendly HUD.

It allows you to customize the HUD how you want. I personally turn off the mini map, and then turn on a waypoint marker that shows up in Witcher sense. It makes you feel so much more immersed in the world without having to look at the mini map consistently.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Be careful not to fast travel right after quest steps. Some have cutscenes after you try to leave an area for the next one, you can lock progression.

Oct 25, 2017
The one truly essential mod is the one that lets you pause cutscenes. Bizarre that the game didn't ship with this feature, or get it patched in.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I made this mod that fixes TONS of small clipping errors and floating objects (but not all of them, obviously). I like to think it helps with immersion / ease on the eyes for certain armor and weapon combos.

I also like the mod that allows you to buy dyes for a reasonable price from any trade goods vendor. They added the dye system in the third expansion and they were only available from one special merchant for ridiculously exorbitant prices. All the low level armors are dyeable so the system is mostly wasted if you don't use the mod.

Also, I like this mod that re-balances the monster trophies. In the normal game they are kind of irrelevant, but this adds fun small bonuses that are totally not overpowered, just more interesting and specific.

Lastly, this mod stops Geralt from inexplicably rolling down stairs all the time..... funny glitch but kind of annoying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've started the "Script Merger v0.6.2" to resolve some mods issues and it's been merging files for half an hour, although it doesn't look like it crashed. How long does this process usually take?

Oct 31, 2017
Yep, I do not know HOW people manage/do this without. There is nothing enjoyable about having a limit.
Aside from equipment (which is for the most part vendor junk) and some literal vendor junk most of the useful shit in the game weights exactly zero, so it's not really that much of an issue if you are not a compulsive hoarder.

Still, I see no downside in installing the mod for people who are so adamant about picking up everything for extra money.
I can sympathize.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be surprised if you'll find yourself dealing with a lot of crashes few hours into the game.
These "script mergers" never work as smoothly as they claim to.
I couldn't launch the game with the two mods in the OP + 9000 weight limit so I opted for this solution. The game starts now at least. We'll see. I think I would just have to delete the mods folder to undo everything, so there's little risk involved. If it starts crashing, I'll revert everything back to vanilla.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Along with Friendly HUD, I used HUD Positioning And Scale. Really let me customize the game's HUD to my liking.

Live Bestiary is a nice touch if you want the monster journal to feel more interactive/alive.

I enjoy going where I want. I do not enjoy being penalized for sprinting at night and failing to see where I'm going. No Fall Damage allows the player to survive a drop from any height. This is a relief to people like me that like running without looking; there are no consequences if Geralt wanders off a cliff - which happened to me far more often than it should.

If you ever get tired of the same music selections, Familiar Music Replacement lets the player pick different music (from tracks chosen by the mod author).

Here's a controversial one, but I really enjoyed Leveling Witcher and Relic gear BALANCED. It automatically levels up all your Witcher gear and your relics with you as you level up yourself. (It does not level up standard equipment.) I would more recommend this more for a second (or third) play-through, but if the idea of constantly searching for new loot frustrates you - and you just want to stick to the story - you might be interested in this. This can break the economy a bit, as the player can just hoard older relics and sell them later. (Higher level equipment = higher value) But I found myself having no desire to grind end-game just to afford the niceties that the DLC offers in-game, and suddenly those highly-leveled relics came in handy. ...Worth noting that even with the mod installed, it is still worthwhile to complete Witcher gear scavenger quests if you intend on visiting the merchant adding in the first DLC to formally have 'Superior' Witcher gear. (The chest piece needs three enchantment slots.)

Script Merger is great. Make sure all mods are v1.31 compliant. If you are using a mod that is old but reasonably popular, the community might very well have made an update patch for it to make the mod v1.31 compliant. There is a list somewhere (Script Manager page, perhaps?) which shows which mods had community-made patches.
* research if a mod is v1.31 compliant
* if not, see if the community made a patch to make the mod v1.31 compliant
* install the mod - and all Witcher 3 mods - with Witcher 3 mod manager
* use Script Merger to merge mods

Last edited:

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Besides the ones that people have already mentioned, I like these
- no dirty lens flare camera
- jump in shallow water
- immersive camera

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
I'm replaying and think it's fine with just visual mods. I have HDReworked Project, 4k Grass Textures, Blood Splatter, No Dirty Lens, New Beautiful Grass. And my favourite of em all is a lighting overall mod called Phoenix.

A few others I used in the past were Friendly UI as mentioned, fast travel from anywhere, autoLoot (helps for picking up herbs), and one that makes the armour that makes Geralt look fat, less so. I cant remember the name of that last one.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would only consider FriendlyHUD and HD Reworked Project to be essential. Most everything else is pretty minor and/or geared towards personal taste.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I would only consider FriendlyHUD and HD Reworked Project to be essential. Most everything else is pretty minor and/or geared towards personal taste.

Essential is subjective really but there are a ton of mods that objectively improve the game either via quality of life tweaks or just improving on the base art style with better assets. There's really too many to list but the best way to start is by going to Nexus and looking from the "top endorsed" category and looking through the first 10 or so pages. I definitely don't both with any of the combat or gameplay overhaul mods though.

The base game has really nice lighting already but I'd still give Phoenix a try. It makes the water look much better (vanilla water Is terrible), it adds much better looking and more varied weather conditions and makes night time actually dark (torch is essential which can be annoying but vanilla is way too bright).

There's also a fairly recent mod which adds in a bunch of music from earlier games in the series. It's done seamlessly and fits in with the game. The music in TW3 is great but the way it's put into the game makes it really repetitive.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
One of the combat overhaul mods was the only reason I played it as much as I did. Vanilla combat was pretty bad.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not something I'd say you absolutely need but there's a mod to have the cape+ hood from the killing monsters trailer. Outside of the basics QOL mods this was my next favorite one. Mod creator even added two animations to put on the hood and put on the cape.

For me it was so cool as the cape and hood look so great with many armor sets. And going into a small town in the rain on your horse with the hood and cape on? Peak immersion.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
HD Tree LOD Billboards

before said:
3739-1561217760-784390807.jpeg
after said:

Phoenix Lighting Mod (I used this author's other project called "Wiedzmin Lighting Mod" last time I played and it was fantastic.

www.nexusmods.com

Phoenix Lighting Mod

Proudly presenting Phoenix Ultimate 7.0

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
HD Tree LOD Billboards

Phoenix Lighting Mod (I used this author's other project called "Wiedzmin Lighting Mod" last time I played and it was fantastic.

www.nexusmods.com

Phoenix Lighting Mod

Proudly presenting Phoenix Ultimate 7.0

Yeah that's the one I mentioned in my previous posts. The only issue is that some cutscenes that occur at night are too dark because obviously you can't manually pull out the torch in those instances.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only ones I'm using is the carry weight one and the one that gives vendors a shitton of money. No more visiting half the vendors in Novigrad to dump those three dozen bandit swords you've been carrying for three hours.

I might give the trophy bonus one a whirl sometime (to coin a phrase, I mostly use a Whirlwind build.. lol).

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Yeah that's the one I mentioned in my previous posts. The only issue is that some cutscenes that occur at night are too dark because obviously you can't manually pull out the torch in those instances.
There's also the ubiquitous STLM, but the last time I tired using that, it had a notable performance impact and wasn't compatible with some of the other stuff I was using even after a script merge.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm waiting for the Toussaint update for HD Reworked before I start another play through of that. Hopefully it arrived this month.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Another +1 for FriendlyHUD. Lets you get ultimate immersion but also comes back when you need it.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
This was such a great thread idea, I know next to nothing about mods for this game so this was a great starting point.

Are these mods generally safe to install mid-playthrough or do you need to start fresh?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I made the No Fall Damage and No Weapon Durability mods. If you're like me and hate those mechanics, I'd recommend installing those.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saving this thread for a future Witcher 3 PC play through.

Some pretty good ideas here especially the no Fall Damage one.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I constantly drop items. I want to store and sell them but it just takes too much time to do so. I don't have the patience for that.
Control has to be one of the worst offenders of this of all time. Such limited inventory space but it throws items at you constantly.

Sage Anahata

Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Witcher 3 - Enhanced Edition. The combat is so addicting I had put in over 100 hours before even reaching Novigrad because: 1) The level of difficult is fairly high (at least the first 50 hours), yet rewarding and fair. 2) I found the combat so fun, I went out of my way to constantly fight everything and explore everywhere. Well worth experiencing if you enjoy challenging content and rewarding gameplay

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
These are my essentials mods for any play-through.

Unlimited durability for your gear. I hate weapon/armor degradation mechanics.

I can't find a working mod that disables the weight limit. Disabling the over encumberance effect seems like a good alternative.

Only shows the HUD during combat or when the Witcher sense is active.

Disables the stupid fish eye effect when the Witcher sense is active.

Reworks models and textures.
www.nexusmods.com

The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project

Feel the new visual experience with The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project 12.0 Ultimate!