• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
OT is for current events, sure. But the admin team could also easily create a political sub-forum right now if they wanted.

But they would be foolish to do so, for reasons I stated above.

No, because that would go against the ethos of the place which is, in large part, to raise awareness for issues like these.

Nothign to do with the reasons you mentioned.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this script.

Some of you would have nuke flying and not care as long as there is netflix, and when that goes down too, as long as there is a puppet show made of clothing debris to see.

This is the world we live in, we all need to pay attention to it.

It's a false equivalency to assume people that would rather not deal with news and politics in down time when they come to a video game focused community are all uninformed and just wanting to keep their heads in the sand.

As above, I read/listen to lots of news sources, spend a lot of time discussing them with my wife, colleagues at my university, friends, regular write/call my representatives as the local, state and federal level, donate a fair bit to political and social causes, volunteer some and so on.

Forums are just for fun for me and I have little interest in serious discussions on them. I'd rather put that effort into making a difference in the real world than being a keyboard warrior online.

This place also isn't a good source for staying informed as its so one sided as evidenced by how upset people get when the NYT posts an OP Ed that goes against their views. I prefer reading views that go against mine, that offend me, that piss me off as that's how I get a sense of how the other side is thinking, of what my views are up against. I also like reading things that occasionally cause me to rethink my views—which is tough these days as things are so tribalism and most things are coming from the far left and far right and it's hard to find centrist viewpoints that can cause me to rethink things in either direction (most far left and far right stuff is off putting to me—far right is far worse of course).

I wasted too much effort in my younger days in the George W. Bush era arguing politics with randoms on forums—mostly a gaming forum even (Vs. forum on Cheapassgamer.com). I gained nothing from that and far more from spending that time truly staying informed and trying to do real world things to make an actual difference.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There is a useful plugin that lets you hide every thread you don't wanna see :)

Get out with these kind of responses, everyone has their own problems to be looking at negativity in the world when OP just wanted a fun moment in OT browsing fun topics. If you are eager to be involved in politics why even post here instead of marching out there? Stop with the keyboard warrior thing.

I do think if people don't want those threads they can use plugins and such. But coming here and say we need to create subforums to put the "trash" there, especially considering what is Era and where do we come from.

There's a reason we fleed from the "just want to talk about games" stuff from Gaf meltdown.

Oct 27, 2017
There is a useful plugin that lets you hide every thread you don't wanna see :)

Get out with these kind of responses, everyone has their own problems to be looking at negativity in the world when OP just wanted a fun moment in OT browsing fun topics. If you are eager to be involved in politics why even post here instead of marching out there? Stop with the keyboard warrior thing.
Then just browse the ones you find fun. No one is saying to eliminate those, but there is an insinuation to eliminate the ones that are making some people feel uncomfortable. Sorry, not sorry. It's real.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not sure what the point of the thread is, perhaps just discussing the experiences of dealing with all negative news/reality on the internet, or come up with cool ideas about resetera. Would a politics subforum work to move a large % of threads out of regular OT - would that be good or bad?
That is a terrible idea.

If you need a break, take one. But this shit should not be hidden away in some subforum.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a false equivalency to assume people that would rather not deal with news and politics in down time when they come to a video game focused community are all uninformed and just wanting to keep their heads in the sand.

As above, I read/listen to lots of news sources, spend a lot of time discussing them with my wife, colleagues at my university, friends, regular write/call my representatives as the local, state and federal level, donate a fair bit to political and social causes, volunteer some and so on.

Forums are just for fun for me and I have little interest in serious discussions on them. I'd rather put that effort into making a difference in the real world than being a keyboard warrior online.

This place also isn't a good source for staying informed as its so one sided as evidenced by how upset people get when the NYT posts an OP Ed that goes against their views. I prefer reading views that go against mine, that offend me, that piss me off as that's how I get a sense of how the other side is thinking, of what my views are up against. I also like reading things that occasionally cause me to rethink my views—which is tough these days as things are so tribalism and most things are coming from the far left and far right and it's hard to find centrist viewpoints that can cause me to rethink things in either direction (most far left and far right stuff is off putting to me—far right is far worse of course).

I wasted to much effort in my younger days in the George W. Bush era arguing politics with randoms on forums—mostly a gaming forum even (Vs. forum on Cheapassgamer.com). I gained nothing from that and far more from spending that time truly staying informed and trying to do real world things to make an actual difference.

You do realize why/how this forum was made, right?

This is not just a place for fun, this is a place to lend a voice/raise awareness for many marginalized groups as much as it is to talk about memes and video games.

You don't like that, there are other forums.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
Then just browse the ones you find fun. No one is saying to eliminate those, but there is an insinuation to eliminate the ones that are making some people feel uncomfortable. Sorry, not sorry. It's real.
Hide by the user or separated into its own forum isn't eliminating, people interested in those subjects will participate while people that wants to discuss about Godzilla will focus on that because you can read news everywhere on the internet.

Sorry no sorry my dude.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
That is a terrible idea.

If you need a break, take one. But this shit should not be hidden away in some subforum.

I agree with this 100%. Fact is, we're in some shitty times around the world right now, so expect shitty news. It's ok to take breaks (I took one after I was panicing over my family during hurricane maria), but that doesn't mean the world is gonna stop turning.

Oct 27, 2017
Hide by the user or separated into its own forum isn't eliminating, people interested in those subjects will participate while people that wants to discuss about Godzilla will focus on that because you can read news everywhere on the internet.

Sorry no sorry my dude.
You do you. Make sure to keep the sand out of your ears while it's in the ground.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been feeling exactly the same way for a few months now, OP. Not that I'm saying people should stop, but I do feel overwhelmed.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not everyone is American buddy. The thing that is happening is terrible but it doesn't affect us all, stop trying to force stuff into people. Just apply it to yourself.

It does affect the whole world. Not as strongly as America, and you may feel that it doesnt affect you personally, hut globally but it does. And it can get worse (I'm not even American).

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You do realize why/how this forum was made, right?

This is not just a place for fun, this is a place to lend a voice/raise awareness for many marginalized groups as much as it is to talk about memes and video games.

You don't like that, there are other forums.

Fair enough and I have been giving strong consideration to leaving.

I didn't know politics was infecting https://www.resetera.com/forums/video-games.7/ as well!!!!!!!1111!!!111one!!111

As I said in an earlier thread, I mostly come here for the movies/tv/sports threads. So another alternative would be to make a sub forum for those things and leave the politics and random stuff here I suppose.

But in any case, yes the politics stuff is prevalent in the gaming forum too. But as the above poster said, that's just the slant of this community so I'm probably better off just leaving.

Oct 27, 2017
That happy life comes at the expense of ignoring children in cages. Hobbies are harder to keep once the gestapo is coming for you.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I understand, but you will need to step away yourself if it becomes too much for you to bear. At the end of the day, it's not the posters' fault that the world is so miserable. I would very much welcome a megathread for the current handling of migrants by the US in addition to all regular threads.

This is by and large the crux of the question. Is this the kind of community posters step into to step away from somewhere else that might be having a negative impact in their lives? Or is this the place they should step away from? It's best for any one person to have outlets where they can rest from the exhausting weight of what's going on in the world, and friends are what i would consider to the be usual destination for that. Sometimes my friends need to talk about something that's going on in their lives, but sometimes they also need someone to give them a space away from their worries and stresses, and it's part of a relationship to offer each of those as it becomes necessary. I suspect a fair number of posters on this forum come here because it's where they can care for their own mental health and rest their minds when weary of everything else.

But this forum is not that place. Whether by design or by influence of what kind of relationship we have with each other, it just isn't.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I suggest video games side, or "the old place".

"The old place" is probably celebrating these catastrophes. Last I checked, it was infested by Trumpsters and other unsavory alt-right characters.

I checked out during E3 for the first time in months to see how it was holding up.

It's a cesspool, really and truly. Blatant sexism, Trump supporters, the term "SJW" thrown around regularly.

And it's dead. Even during E3, it was fucking dead.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Misrepresenting moderation. Accumulated infractions.
I started putting people on ignore who make race bait threads and trump threads. My ignore list is wonderful. But then I got banned for not responding to people in a thread and I'm not sure if ignored people can respond to me?

Same here, people on ignore you literally see nothing from, no "This content is hidden because user on ignore list" and even if they quoted by others you see nothing, the quote is invisible to you. But you can be banned for not responding to them...

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish the admins would finally make a world news/ politics section and keep it seperate from EtcetEra. Seems like fun topics get buried by the constant " Trump did this evil thing today!" topics everyday. Please make a new section.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Just do your part and post light hearted content/threads then
Exactly, be the change you want to see in the world. If people want to talk about it those threads will do well.
Not everyone is American buddy. The thing that is happening is terrible but it doesn't affect us all, stop trying to force stuff into people. Just apply it to yourself.
Nobody is forcing anything though. You choose to come here. There is nobody guiding your hand.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the admins would finally make a world news/ politics section and keep it seperate from EtcetEra. Seems like fun topics get buried by the constant " Trump did this evil thing today!" topics everyday. Please make a new section.

Again: do you have any idea what foundation this place was built upon?

This is not the forum for you if you just want video games and memes.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough and I have been giving strong consideration to leaving.

As I said in an earlier thread, I mostly come here for the movies/tv/sports threads. So another alternative would be to make a sub forum for those things and leave the politics and random stuff here I suppose.

But in any case, yes the politics stuff is prevalent in the gaming forum too. But as the above poster said, that's just the slant of this community so I'm probably better off just leaving.
Please do

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This forum exists because the old one was run by a sexual predator.

This isn't a social justice forum. It's still a video game board with an off-topic section.

This is not the forum for you if you just want to discuss social issues.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I love how this is an open community and people just post what they want to talk about. Mods rarely close topics. So, basically, this is what the community wants to talk about, it isn't some kind of conspiracy. It sucks for you if you don't. Might I suggest finding another forum or simply skipping threads? Also people with the "race bait and outrage" smh so cute...

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
If you want it to stop, then go out and do something about it tbh. Otherwise, these threads should persist. To show you it's not OK.

Yeah it can feel pretty depressing reading the Off-Topic thread.

I don't like the trend of starting political threads with no call-to-action. Most of the content is OMG LOOK AT HOW AWFUL THIS IS. So lets do something about it, just posting the article itself without any indication of how you can help is pointless.

For instance, I came across this article yesterday about how a woman forced border patrol off a greyhound bus as they were looking for undocumented immigrants. I suggest everyone read it, because it contains valuable information that you can actually use in the public sphere.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I have never posted all that much be it here or back at the old site. I am going to post this tho. Bullshit. I have see a metic ton of people banned in political threads over the years and its for good reason. If you are garbage you are told to kick rocks. Evil is not a "opinion" that deserves acknowledgment.

I agree, people are overplaying why people are banned. and moderation is needed on sites i really dont care how people feel about it to maintain order you need to have some decency in posts and the mod team here has done a pretty damn good job of it.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not where the threads for current movies, current TV seasons, current sporting events (like the World Cup now) etc. are though. They are in this forum.

I'm sorry this forum isn't Literally Perfect And Just For You. At this point you're just picking nits and making a big stink out of nothing.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
When the Nazis started the internment camps, it didn't affect the whole world, just the jews, commies and gays.

Until it did affect the whole world

Oct 25, 2017
Buncha fucking crybabies whining about having to read an optional wall of text while actual real lives are falling apart.

Go outside or find another fucking forum. Garden.org seems nice.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes. This is the same community that came from GAF, you know Gaming Age Forum. This is a gaming forum first, everything else second. Like I said, just make a new section where all news and politics can be in one place. No need to mix topics like "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Review Thread" with "USCIS will form a task force to strip immigrants who are naturalized Americans of citizenship". I feel like these kinds of topics should be separate.

And yes this is the forum for me. If this is the place for you to strictly talk politics and world issues, then you should probably spend your time somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.