• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just got back into this game about a week ago, having a good time with all the new stuff considering I stopped playing shortly after Jekk's adventures. Kinda want to make some jank (improving my old roaches deck/making some mind link stuff( but I only have around 30k dust and don't want to blow it all in one place

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Into Shadow campaign announced

No release date yet, but it should be fairly soon. One card spoiled

0T1sY8j.jpg

Apparently Vara defaults to a 5/6 when opponent has no units. Which is different from other punisher cards like Voprex (probably because single sacrifices need a target)

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, did not know about this topic.
I took a Xenan midrange deck to the tournment and got 3 wins - 3 losses so far.
It wins against a lot of things, very good against aggro, has some advantage agaisnt other midrange decks because of removal spells, but it loses SUPER hard to temporal control, which I met two.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I haven't had a brew with promise since during the mono-Time meta 2 months ago, I climbed with a "Hooru Plunderer" spellcraft deck, so in the meantime I'll save my gold for draft runs, get Top 100 and try Draft Masters Challenge when that comes up. Figure out a deck later, I don't need more Set 4 packs.

Also, next month's Sealed cardback is sick. I'm happy they decided that they'll give the cardback immediately after starting the league from here on out.

Lucario

Oct 26, 2017
gay
All around good nerfs. Carnosaur was better than any other midrange 6 drop by a ridiculous margin, not-so-secretly one of the biggest board swings in the game. Icaria wasn't oppressive in the current meta, but I imagine nerfing her cleanest answer pretty much forced DWD's hand.

Also love making merchant a 0/4. Still an obscenely good card, but gives aggro some much needed breathing room.

Much better than the previous two sets of balance changes, aka "we refuse to nerf Alessi so let's just nerf every spell instead"

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up sticking to this game after trying out a bunch of card games on my pre-Artifact crusade a few weeks ago.

Didn't like the art direction at first, but it makes up with features and modes. It also just pretty fun to play.

Piloting the decks from the starter pack atm for the most part, but I think I'm gonna throw some more money at it and see if I craft some other interesting decks.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Just realized that the draft card changes just made my Sealed deck mana more demanding. Crap.
Much better than the previous two sets of balance changes, aka "we refuse to nerf Alessi so let's just nerf every spell instead"
The sequel to "we refuse to nerf Tavrod so let's just nerf every justice card instead". Altho the nerfs to the cards in Tavrod midrange were very justified at the end tbh.
7-7 carnosaur for 7 is still pretty scary.
It is. Cleans up more, but it's not as much of a must-have curve topper anymore.

Piloting the decks from the starter pack atm for the most part, but I think I'm gonna throw some more money at it and see if I craft some other interesting decks.
That starter bundle is surprisingly good value, especially the decks you're given. Bunch of rares that were meta at one point of another, and bunch of vital 4x commons and uncommons.

The Horus Traver and Dead Reckoning campaigns are particularly good investment for your money afterwards.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Spoiler for new cycle of Power cards from the Feastcalling tournament stream that's on right now

In constructed these cards may help slow decks that have shallow but wide faction requirements, however at Common, the implications for draft/sealed are massive. The decks will be greedy like Set 2 was with all the Stranger fixing. These cards will stick around when/if Seats and Banners rotate, although who knows what DWD's plans are for rotation.

Also, first Eternal Championship Qualifier will be held Nov 30 - Dec 2

ZbSc3Ji.png

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Looking forward to checking out the Xbox One version. I played a bunch of closed/open beta but tapped out a few weeks into Set 2. Was last using a pretty decent Praxis Midrange deck (4x Heart of the Vault/Sandstorm Titan etc) but not sure how well it would hold up in the new meta.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
"Destiny" keyword is getting a rule change because of Talir combo decks. It slowed the game down way too much when the Talir player played Destiny units on full board and kept getting sacrifice prompts. So now, in case of full board, Destiny units will in future discard themselves instead (and draw another card).

DWD will allow you to dust crafted Talirs for full value once the change is live.

Also, more spoilers for Set 5:

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/founders-veterans-packages/
We've had a lot of requests from folks in the past year to get their hands on the contents of the original Founders Package, so it's back! …And, this time, it brought back-up!

The Founders Package and Veterans Package are your chance to get a whole bunch of sweet exclusive bling at a great price, along with more gems than you can shake a changeestik at. These are limited-time offers that won't be around forever, so be sure to get yours while you can!

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
The last time Premium Sigils were available was another Founder's Package during Set 2 last year. They took the deal out once Set 3 released, so be wary of DWD taking away these bundles when Defiance releases! The sigils used to be in a $25 bundle tho instead of 50.

I might honestly buy the Veterans Package. I spend roughly that amount every new expansion anyway. The bundle's cardback is different based on when you made your account, and I've been around since Closed Beta, sooooo...

wUcXuxS.jpg

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Pledge mechanic introduced!

Pledge: On your first turn, a card with Pledge can be played as a Sigil.

Seems like another mechanic like Warp; Low impact, will not break a card, but it will make your gameplay that much smoother. I reckon Borderscout will see some play in contructed in a Scream deck variant.

Other recent spoilers:
I imagine Display of Instinct will 100% see some play in a primal Moment deck. Once your influence is set up, it's straight up a better Mortar

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Set 5 Draft Packs revealed. Half the Strangers are back, which is understandable in 3-factio draft format. Fire loses Torch for some less disgusting removal, but generally the commons are of better average value than in Set 4. Primal... only gets 2 actually playable common units, that is really weird. Meant to be a mostly support faction?

More spoilers acoming. Let's start with the mechanics.

Renown: Does something the first time you play a spell or weapon directly on it

So Fire-Justice-Primal (Apparently named Ixtun, like the merchant) gets to be the "pile a bunch of stuff on one unit" faction. Notorious Scoundrel seems disgustingly highrolly so I imagine it'll find a spot somewhere, even with the curse drawback.

Amplify: increase the effect of your cards as many times as you want as long as you have the power.
Holy fuck, these power sinks. Fire-Time-Primal (now "Jennev") gets some disgusting value. Multi-kicker? really?

Misc spoilers

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
New

card

type:

SITES!

Sites are weird, they're like a combination of MtG Planeswalkers, Sagas and Suspend.

Lots of rules, but, you play the Site on board, taking 2 unit spaces, and then will

1) Give a constant passive effect
2) Play one of the 3 spells of your choosing stored on the card immediately
3) Play the other two over the starts of next 2 turns
4) Play the card's unit on the board on the 3rd

The card can not be hit by attachment/unit removal, relic weapons, or any damage effects that specify unit/player. On that last rule, Torch and Obliterate will become tweaked to only hit enemy units and players in order to make the Sites stick better.

The main way you deal with Sites is to choose to attack the Site with ALL your units when you declare attacks. No spreading your forces like with Planeswalkers. Also, you can only have 1 Site on the board at a time, probably for UI considerations when you declare attacks.

I imagine the only Sites coming are a cycle of 5 legendaries. They're a massive gameplay change, but I predict a much smaller overall meta impact than Merchants had in Set 4.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Founders/Veterans Packages now available. Also, you get extra draft tickets buying gem bundles from DWD Website directly from now on with Paypal.

Defiance will release this Thursday, December 13 following a downtime beginning at 7 am MST (14:00 UTC).

I'm honestly not happy that DWD keeps giving expansion release dates on such short notice :/ I originally imagined they'd cut that shit out after leaving beta but "oh no, we can't have people be disappointed if we ever have to delay release for any reason!"

Last edited:

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
First impressions on the new set? I want to come back, but haven't had the time yet due to other games. Plus some things turn me off. I'm not a fan of 3 faction/color themes which this set seems to focus on. Also I heard they nerfed chest rewards and it hurt draft. That said it's still Eternal and I'm sitting on tons of stones and gold from the last set. Maybe I'll try and make some time this weekend and see for myself.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
First impressions on the new set? I want to come back, but haven't had the time yet due to other games. Plus some things turn me off. I'm not a fan of 3 faction/color themes which this set seems to focus on. Also I heard they nerfed chest rewards and it hurt draft. That said it's still Eternal and I'm sitting on tons of stones and gold from the last set. Maybe I'll try and make some time this weekend and see for myself.
The new set is nice, lots of powerful weird stuff, particularly relics/sites, which I've really waited this game to have.

Draft... I honestly don't personally like this format, but that's probably because I've been doing so bad at it compared to previous sets. Just can't get my head around 3-faction drafting.

The 3-faction stuff however doesn't affect constructed much imo. Like, 5 of the 3-faction combinations get
1) kinda better Seek Power,
2) slightly more powerbase options (Crests made 3-faction powerbase strong like 2 sets ago),
3) a single Display fast spell
4) a single big Legendary finisher

This is not really Khans of Tarkir level of multicolor.

The impact is not significant compared to what Hojan, Avigraft, Howling Peak and Xo of the Endless Hoard are doing. Then you got weirdos like me trying to brew new combos with some seemingly mundane attachments.

z6KelXa.jpg

Get a wide board, sacrifice them all, draw a bunch of cards (preferrably rest of your combo) with enough mana to play them, and Killer in with a +30/+30 overwhelm unit.

Last edited:
Balance patch Jan 4th
OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
There was a small balance patch last Friday

• Jennev Merchant - Now 2/2 (was 3/2)
  • Ixtun Merchant - Now 3/2 (was 3/3)
  • Changeestick - Now Spellcraft 5 (was Spellcraft 4)
  • Tavia, Lethrai Raidleader - Now has Quickdraw
The merchant changes were to give a slight nerf to the numerous Howling Peak decks ruling the meta, without actually nerfing the popular new card

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
After a month or so not playing. I am enjoying the state of the game right now. My decks are not very defiance heavy because I don't have the cards, but matches seem longer and decisions seem more interesting.
Peak is near broken, imo, but sites in general add another nice layer of gameplay that I like.

Balance patch Jan 17th
OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Lots of balance changes here

Dialing back the power of FJS midrange after the last ECQ had 5 of them in Top 8 (also Howling Peak). The merchants are weaker, Avigraft is more expensive, and FJS has to address life lost now because Rizahn getting lifesteal isn't as easy.

The "go wide" FJS draft archetype however gets the support it needed now. Used to be bit of a joke.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
So heads up, Dark Frontier comes out on May 9th, and the remaining new mechanics are Twist and Shift

Twist is a new mechanic in Dark Frontier that can be found on all sorts of units. Like most unit abilities, you spend power to enable the Twist effect. Unlike most unit abilities, Twist can be used any number of times on your turn. The longer something is exposed to the Shadow, the more it changes, and each time a unit is Twisted, it gets +1/-1 in addition to whatever else the Twist did.
So Twist, as a special ability, is way more spammable than most unit abilities we've had in this game before, but of course, it comes with the requirement that the unit pay for the ability with their health.Overall, fairly simple.

Now, Shift on the other hand is fairly complex.
  • When you play a unit Shifted, you'll pay in power the Shift number instead of its normal cost. (Influence requirements still apply.)
  • While Shifted, the unit is in play, but it can't attack, block, or be selected by any cards. Any passive abilities of the unit still function, and it can still be killed by cards like Harsh Rule or Lightning Storm.
  • The unit will remain Shifted for three turns. When you start your third turn, it will Emerge immediately ready to attack or block (as it's already been in play while it's been Shifted) and it gains Unblockable for the turn.
In short, a Shifted unit becomes completely untargettable and uncontrollable for 3 full turns, but all non-targeted effects still happen in both directions, and the finally comes out with 1 turn of Unblockable. Various units in expansion can be played in Shifted state for specific mana costs, and there are effects that can Shift a unit already in play.

It's kinda synergistic with Onslaught. If opponent doesn't have boardwipes, the shifted unit is guaranteed to live until the Unblockable attack.

OP
OP
Nordicus

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
DWD is suddenly announcing the release of Trials of Grodov on Wednesday, July 24th.

It's a campaign... without an actual story campaign coupled with it. Meh, but I guess I won't complain about getting new cards. They seem to be pushing Shift and Twist pretty hard, as those mechanics weren't really seen around in constructed sans maybe Lightning Sprite in reanimator and Razorquill in a combo with Katra

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Guess we know what all these spoilers were about now, and why they nerfed horror.

Last edited: