• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I still have a lot of EO to go (only played 1 on DS, 3 which i haven't actually finished, and recently 4 on 3DS) but I hope they will just create a new series that is clearly inspired by EO instead of trying to make EO work on Switch or any other platform.

Btw I hope they bring EOX to Europe.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I defeat the
the ronin and hexer warriors.

The battle was easier when I stopped try defeat them at same time and instead I decided defeat the ronin girl first.

And yeah I feel bad about this :(

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me I'm playing classic mode sir, so I don't expect they survive.

(I haven't idea actually)

I mean.. dont they have a cutscene right after the battle?
And yes, classic mode = best mode.

EOIII had the best version of this imo
with either Gutrune and Kujura or Seyfried and Olympia being your final boss fight depending on which path you took.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. dont they have a cutscene right after the battle?

Well it's true, they survive the battle. I was thinking more in the line of "they will survive by the end of the game?" I play a lot of Megaten games so that's my defaul thinking lol

By the way my Hexer finally is getting fear skils. I wonder how useful they are.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
They posted a picture showing every portrait in Etrian Odyssey X: https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/8758/

I wonder if they'll add even more later as DLC, or if this is everything? Regardless, there are so many, so I'm happy. It's cool to see the boxart portraits too. Those are a nice bonus!

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rare breeds in the 5th stratum aren't joke. I'm liking the layout of this stratum by the way.

They posted a picture showing every portrait in Etrian Odyssey X: https://www.atlus.co.jp/news/8758/

I wonder if they'll add even more later as DLC, or if this is everything? Regardless, there are so many, so I'm happy. It's cool to see the boxart portraits too. Those are a nice bonus!

Hehe. I was looking for source to make a new avatar and this was perfect to do it. That are a lot of art lmao

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's wasn't difficult catching up with this thread. I hope to be more active from now on :)

Here's how I'd describe each Etrian game, though:
  • Q - Combat balance is all over the place (every single magic user is borderline useless), but it also has the highest production values of any game made with an Etrian engine. There's not really much of a story, but the characters scenes are good. Dungeon crawling is like a more hand-holdy version of regular Etrian crawling, and combat's fine – if you know to avoid magic casters like the plague.

I'm sorry for the super late reply but how come? In my experience they are extremely valuable for their strong elemental attacks.

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey X... can we safely assume this is the last EO game as we know it? It's basically the culmination of the "Best of _" model Atlus has been relying on for years.

Surely after this game drops this August, Atlus has to swallow the medicine and move on from the 3DS? I mean, after localization, this will be an overseas release of late 2019 on 3DS.

Does that mean no light is shed on the Etrian Odyssey team's next-generation project until Tokyo Game Show 2019?

I mean, this is coming from a dude whose user name is Etrian Oddity, so obviously I give a shit about this series. The quality of the actual game remains as great as it's ever been, but the entire series has grown quite long in the tooth, and a lot of talented artists and designers are kind of stuck on a stale IP. (Also, I won't lie that I'm grumpy that the series has ditched pixel art and FM music, which was an enormous appeal to many EO1 fans in the first place.)

So what happens now? What do you guys think, for reals?

I really feel like they can go both ways. They can salvage what they can when they make new EO games but EO is dual screen and touch screen mapping. They are important to the EO experience that I think it would be better to start a new franchise entirely. I also feel that we have gotten a lot of EO goodness. I don't want there to be an EO fatigue. Ending with X (assuming it's a good game) seems like a good way to do it.

So Atlus USA doesn't seem to have passed on Etrian X yet. I don't think there's much else to glean from the comment, though.

What does working away mean even?

Bless the soul who mentioned EMD2.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry for the super late reply but how come? In my experience they are extremely valuable for their strong elemental attacks.
Triple-whammy of the skills being ungodly expensive, scaling poorly in power, and being based around a resource that's much harder to stretch out and replenish compared to HP.

Magic is good enough against regular encounters, but against bosses (none of which have any elemental weaknesses, if I remember right), they're inferior in every way against physical attacks. They also can't get critical hits.

There are some edge cases like poison (which is by far the strongest skill early-game) and Hama/Mudo tearing regular enemies apart (mostly because the code for Q conflicts with the code from Etrian IV, making the pair way better than it was meant to be). But if you want to deal as much damage as possible, magic casters are only good for debuffs and healing your physical attackers after their skills burn through their HP.

What does working away mean even?

Bless the soul who mentioned EMD2.
In this case? They're probably trying to figure out how they can make releasing the game make business sense. They probably don't want another Eternal Punishment PSP on their hands.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Triple-whammy of the skills being ungodly expensive, scaling poorly in power, and being based around a resource that's much harder to stretch out and replenish compared to HP.

Magic is good enough against regular encounters, but against bosses (none of which have any elemental weaknesses, if I remember right), they're inferior in every way against physical attacks. They also can't get critical hits.

There are some edge cases like poison (which is by far the strongest skill early-game) and Hama/Mudo tearing regular enemies apart (mostly because the code for Q conflicts with the code from Etrian IV, making the pair way better than it was meant to be). But if you want to deal as much damage as possible, magic casters are only good for debuffs and healing your physical attackers after their skills burn through their HP.

I honestly don't remember how effective they are with bosses but the fact that they are very helpful with regular fights and FOE is good enough in itself. Otherwise they would be OP if they can handle everything with ease.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Oh my. It could be anything. A new EO might come after all.
They already kinda explained what it is. They had announced EOX would be the last EO on 3DS, and the trailer is just there to confirm EO will keep going, but on a new platform. Likely the Switch, although this isn't confirmed yet.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Started playing EOV this week, having only played 1 beforehand. Pretty big jump in terms of QoL improvements, haha. Got 9 hours in and really want to play more, but with X coming out in a few days I figured I'd wait and play the latest and greatest instead.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Started playing EOV this week, having only played 1 beforehand. Pretty big jump in terms of QoL improvements, haha. Got 9 hours in and really want to play more, but with X coming out in a few days I figured I'd wait and play the latest and greatest instead.
Just in case of, X comes out next week in Japan, western release not announced yet. If you know that that's fine just pointing it out in case you thought it was the western/worldwide release.

I'd say V is still probably worth playing for the unique classes like Fencer, Necro, Hound, Dragoon. Shaman/Botanist/Masurao are kinda whatever, similar to other classes really, Pugilist and Harbinger are in X and I have no idea about Warlock but it kinda looked like a generic caster for the most part.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They already kinda explained what it is. They had announced EOX would be the last EO on 3DS, and the trailer is just there to confirm EO will keep going, but on a new platform. Likely the Switch, although this isn't confirmed yet.

My reply was before reading the new thread. It does seem like a new EO, especially with the Japanese tweets from the first page. This is pretty shocking. I hope they reboot EO.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Just in case of, X comes out next week in Japan, western release not announced yet. If you know that that's fine just pointing it out in case you thought it was the western/worldwide release.

I'd say V is still probably worth playing for the unique classes like Fencer, Necro, Hound, Dragoon. Shaman/Botanist/Masurao are kinda whatever, similar to other classes really, Pugilist and Harbinger are in X and I have no idea about Warlock but it kinda looked like a generic caster for the most part.
Yup! No worries, I live in Japan.
I found V a little hard to get into at the start because of the class differences, actually. I ended up going with a team that was basically my team from 1 (Dragoon, Masurao, Shaman, Botanist, Rover.) Maybe I should try to branch out in terms of composition for X, lol

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Alright guys, I bought Etrian Odyssey V. What is the party setup you guys would suggest to someone that has played Etrian Odyssey before, but years ago? Something that wouldn't require a lot of tinkering or changes until I finish the game.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright guys, I bought Etrian Odyssey V. What is the party setup you guys would suggest to someone that has played Etrian Odyssey before, but years ago? Something that wouldn't require a lot of tinkering or changes until I finish the game.

Fencer/Pugilist/Dragoon
Warlock/Shaman

A fairly vanilla but overall solid party. You can replace Shaman by Rover if you want better healing and damage early on, but towards mid-late game Shaman becomes much better at party heal and the buffs are invaluable.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
For something that's mostly conventional but easy to use, you could use Fencer / Masurao / Pugilist on the front row, and Warlock / Shaman on the back row.

Fencer can chain off of Masurao's Armor Pierce skill or the Warlock's elemental spells. Masurao's a good source of physical damage in general. Pugilist can shut down enemies with binds. Warlock can do wide-area elemental damage. And Shaman can do buffs / heals. Though it takes a little while for Shaman healing to really take off, so you may need to augment early game healing with items (or start off as a Botanist and reclass later).

It worked for me, and got through the game without a lot of adjustments to the core team.

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, Shizu, EOV is pretty damn great so I hope you enjoy it.

My 5 man team would consist of:

Dragoon/Pugilist/???
Shaman/Warlock

Dragoon is an incredible tank that in the later game can be spec'd to do INSANE amounts of damage, I totally recommend them in any team.
Pugilist is the usual binder that ends up being good the whole game.
Shaman is one of the most broken healers/buffers in EO history, the problem is that in the early game(first 10 floors) they kinda suck, till then I was using a Rover who does an amazing job as a healer in the early game with their passive heals.
Warlock, as usual the Magic DPS class is a must.

For the final member, I'd just go with whatever you may want, probably someone that does high DPS like a Fencer, Masurao, or if you're willing to wait till the mid game, the Harbinger ends up paying off with their ailment attacks.

So yeah, I'll repeat that if you want an easy time in the early game just get a Rover for healing and when you get to F11, retire them for a Shaman.

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I used the following: Blade Dancer Masurao/Deathbringer Harbinger/Shield Bearer Dragoon/Elemancer Warlock/Merciful Healer Botanist

The Blade Dancer Masurao is really fun to use, just a ridiculously unbalanced "high attack/low defense" class. Harbinger is a fairly simple status effect inflicting class and the rest are just "Defender, Black Mage, White Mage".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I went with
Fencer/Masurao/Dragoon
Rover/Herbalist.

Fairly balanced, the elemental link attacks make up for the lack of magic. Bunker from Dragoon and Hound from Rover soak up damage before it hits you and allows regen every turn. Dragoon cover abilities allows Masurao to focus on attack while the Rover attacks/binds and the fencer chain attacks based on both. It's tough, self-sustaining as TP cost for healing is low due to the hound, but not particularly explosive in terms of damage output, I suppose!

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo Etrian Odyssey X released in Japanese a little while ago, anyone playing it?

I've been learning Japanese and picked it up in part for practice. So I'll be progressing through the game very slowly (but surely).

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So.. I found a grimoire with Holy Gift at max level and I put it to my Hexer's main grimoire. If I don't get it wrong, it's like if my Hexer unit would behave like a Troubador in that sense, right? I have a Troubador with Holy Gift which is in the team dedicated to raise my Hexer's level, so I hope the stack helps a lot.

Tip: never never retire unless you want to really do it. Or at least don't forget it was just a try and don't save it ;_;