• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I swapped the Botanist for a Shaman. Let's see how it goes. I 100%ed EOIV quite comfortably, I think I should be fine.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, I rescued my save data from Untold and now it's in my New 3DS XL.

Finally can sell my old console (and play the post-game) lol

Time to hunt dragons!

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the 2nd stratum's boss is hard af. I could beat him if RNG was on my side for the entirety of the fight with regards to ailments and binds, but I'm not sure if I got the patience. I almost got him down once with Wilting Miasma + Poison Bomb spam but ran out of steam by the last 20%.

edit: Beat the motherfucker.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard Nexus has three stratums that were 1st stratums from other EOs? That sounds awful.

EOV on the other hand is absurdly good. I'm killing the 3rd stratum boss as we speak.

ohblahitsme

Jan 20, 2018
So EO4 is $10 on the eShop right now -- should I go for it? I remember playing the demo years ago and enjoying it, but I've never played a full EO game.

SabinFigaro

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished EOIV (I'm always many years delayed on these games). All stratums and quests completed, post-game and all.

Great game, and certainly much more "friendly" than previous entries. I used a link party pretty much from the second stratum and had no issues. Only needed to grind a bit for the post-game stratum and superbossess.

Final party was, front row: L/RM - F/M - D/NS, back row: NS/A - RM/B. Interestingly, I originally had a F/D in the back row, with the NS/A in the front, but I found I needed to re-class and switch rows on the very last floor of the post-game dungeon. That's pretty much the only tinkering I had to do, other than a little retiring here and there for obsolete skills choices.

Otherwise, I've only completed the first game in its entirety, and the second game up to the post-game stratum. I love love love these games, but the time investment is a bit much! It took me about 2-3 months to chip away at EOIV, and I think that was faster than anticipated because it was relatively easy. Doesn't stop me from buying them all though, in hopes that one day I get to them.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I love EOIV! It was my first EO game.

I have EO3 waiting for me to finish Dragon Quest 8. Currently I'm just trying to work out what party I want to roll with when I do play it.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Just returned to EMD again for, I don't know, maybe the fourth of fifth time. I've never actually finished it once, but it's such a fun, cute game. I tend to get distracted by other games, hence why I've never finished it, but aside from a few minor issues (not even issues, really, just things that I don't particularly care for in the game, i.e. my like/dislike for the fort gameplay), it's a delightful mash-up. I've always enjoyed mystery dungeon games as a relaxing way to pass the time, and the EO elements are mostly really well integrated. Plus, it's adorable, I have to say. The A.I. can be problematic, but I really feel like they worked around the issues in the best ways possible. For the most part, the four-character-party system adds some nice strategy. The boss battles are pretty decent too. The loot feels a little more meaningful than perhaps in a typical Shiren game, since weapons/armor line up with the various classes, and it's just less of a hodge-podge overall. Good interface. Good game. Maybe I'll finish it this time. :P

Not sure I'm sad the second one hasn't been localized, as it looks like pretty much more of the same, but I'm sure I would have still gotten the game had it released here. I do hope we see a Switch EMD at some point, though.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Just got to the Sixth Stratum in EO3(bad ending, but who cares, screw them for forcing that on me...), and it is CREEPY. Haven't been this unsettled since the Sixth in EO1.

The 2nd's Sixth was too relaxed, this is what I expect. Horror.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I'm only on the second floor of the first stratum of E03, and I decided to level grind a little, now I can't stop, bit addictive to me. My entire party is level 20.

gldiator/hoplite/buccaneer
princess/arbalist

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Back to the 4th stratum on untold 2 after a few month break.

Playing story mode, which is fun enough. Did some reclassing though.

Have nexus preordered even if im probably years away from playing it...

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
So I finally got my first game over in E03 in the third stratum. Lost some progress in a sidequest. I kept my map data though. Those dang Mud Lurkers.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
EO3 not being released on the 3DS :(

Getting your first game over in the third stratum...is EO3 considered to be more challenging compared to EO4?

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That explains why the difficulty felt right on normal and how I didn't die aside from boss /FOE battles. I kept hearing how EO games where difficult that I was always very careful and overprepared.

How about EO1U and 2U? I heard V is a bit more challenging compared to IV.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
That explains why the difficulty felt right on normal and how I didn't die aside from boss /FOE battles. I kept hearing how EO games where difficult that I was always very careful and overprepared.

How about EO1U and 2U? I heard V is a bit more challenging compared to IV.
I find the EO games past the DS era to be relatively simple, until postgame. All of them really to an extent. You might encounter some difficulties here and there, and you might wipe from bad FOEs management or terrible RNG on some trash pack with annoying abilities(petrify and what not), but overall, it's a pretty smooth experience if you're not super underleveled or built a really poor party(no heals no control no tank kind of thing). Post game is where it gets real, generally speaking.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I find the EO games past the DS era to be relatively simple, until postgame. All of them really to an extent. You might encounter some difficulties here and there, and you might wipe from bad FOEs management or terrible RNG on some trash pack with annoying abilities(petrify and what not), but overall, it's a pretty smooth experience if you're not super underleveled or built a really poor party(no heals no control no tank kind of thing). Post game is where it gets real, generally speaking.

In that case, I feel a bit better about my ability XD I did 100% EO4 and it felt GOOD.

Then I'm not sure why EO games have this reputation though.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
In that case, I feel a bit better about my ability XD I did 100% EO4 and it felt GOOD.

Because in today's world, it's still harder than a majority of games. The fact that you can die in the first dungeon and then you have to reload a save with the only progress being saved being your map completion already puts it pretty far from other games in which the first area is generally an extended tutorial where the only way to die is to go afk for a while in the middle of combat(assuming real time). EO1 and EO2 untold postgame is quite a bit harder though so you can try that.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
EO1 and 2 were genuinely tough if you didn't abuse the bugs and broken skills in the respective games. Remember that these games came out pre Dark Souls, and when games were moving towards easing players into them. The first stratum of EO1 had cats that could one shot you, events that led to ambushes that can easily kill you, poison that took out 1/3 of your health every turn, and you had limited skills and TP to use those skills. Money was also hard to come by. The famous Fight and Heal reviewer didn't even finish the game.

The games got easier over time, but the reputation remained.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017

The reputation comes from the DS games.

There were no difficulty selection. It was always on the highest difficulty level, you didn't get the option to pick until the later games.

Every one is different of course, but for me personally, for the true EO experience its expert mode all the way.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of difficulty in EO, Nexus has Heroic mode that is basically made for bragging rights. Heroic mode is the same as Expert mode but it displays that you're playing the difficulty on your guild card. Once you change the difficulty however it's gone and you can never select the Heroic difficulty again unless you start NG+.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Outside the 3DS games I have played only the first one and the lack of certain QoL tools certainly make it a rough game. I thought it was bearable until I reach the 4th stratum.

They are different beasts for sure.

I play on expert, but I do like the walk-fill in the map feature and I've used it since they introduced it.

I love the series and enjoy the map mapping aspect, but it's not as intrinsic to me as I think it is to some other folks.

A switch EO game with a walk-to-fill-in-the-map function, with the ability to still mark/place stuff on the map would be perfect for me.

If we're really wishing I think setting it up to be played on the switch with the screen vertical so we could mimic the dual screen functionality of the DS games would be neat (switch held vertically, bottom part of the screen is the map, top half of screen is the rest if there was confusion).

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I'm not all that excited to try the original two EOs given that they seem difficult because of bad design and programming outcomes. III seems accessible enough after my run through EOU1, but I'm out of luck finding a reasonably affordable DS copy to plug in.

And I agree that a lack of DS mapping for series installments on Switch doesn't make or break the purchase. I care more about combat, dungeon design, quest variety, and pacing than manually mapping it all myself. They'll likely still have manual mapping, just without the level of convenience we've come to expect. I'm also of the mind that EO's mapping style has evolved well beyond old-school roots, to the point that arguing from authenticity holds little sway.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I guess that makes me the opposite one here. I got lost into mapping every inch, using different colours and icons. It was so much fun with IV and I felt it was missing with EMD. Is that what makes the mode heroic? That you have to do all of it yourself?

Speaking of EOIII. I should actually search for a copy since it won't come on the 3DS anymore. And I don't know if I'll ever own a switch (or whether it's being worked on).