• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Mapping just makes it easier for me to appreciate the dungeon designs. It's not the most interesting system in and of itself, especially compared to more complex mapping for classic open-world party wargames like Might & Magic VI. However, I love puzzles that reward you for mapping well, like quite a few toward the end of EOIV, so manual mapping should remain because of that.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I just managed to order EOIII for €11 roughly. I feel pretty lucky with that considering the prices it usually goes for and the seller lives in the same country. I'm also very excited to play an EO game in Japanese.

I did end up buying 6 other games though :x

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Good job on the pickup!

I normally don't care about limited editions or all the extra crap that comes with them...

...but having all my other EO games have the boxes with the extra stuff and my Untold 2 NOT is kinda bumming me out haha.

I keep checking ebay and amazon for just the box, but nada.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are good place to farm experience at the EO2U 5th stratum? I fear I'm going to reach the level cap before arrive to the end of the stratum., and I was thinking about retire one or two characters. Actually... it's good idea to retire my characters before the boss? lol

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
So is EOV harder than others? I'm playing the demo and it's a real struggle.

Is the actual game like this too? It's the first EO I'm not enjoying.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So is EOV harder than others? I'm playing the demo and it's a real struggle.

Is the actual game like this too? It's the first EO I'm not enjoying.
Which difficulty setting are you on? EOV and the Untold games felt different to the others for me, where picnic was obviously 'very easy', the setting above that 'slightly' easier than normal, and the one above that a bit harder than the standard difficulty in the other games, rather than a direct correlation.

It could just be me having become better at them though.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Well the demo is just the first few floors of the actual game. Have you played the previous games? What are you having trouble with?

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
EDIT: Well, I level grinded and beat Kirin.

I only beat one jrpg last year, Etrian Odyssey Untold, and played through over half of Etrian Odyssey 3, and bought Etrian Odyssey V on the eshop during the festive sale, and if I ever see Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 on sale, I'd buy it. I guess I really am in love with this series.

Last edited:

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Finally put some time into EOX after having it since it came out.
Really really enjoying it so far. Just beat the first boss. Having only played half of EO1 and a little bit of 5, it's kind of a change of pace. Having an overworld map means that you aren't just going into the same dungeon over and over, which is neat.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finally put some time into EOX after having it since it came out.
Really really enjoying it so far. Just beat the first boss. Having only played half of EO1 and a little bit of 5, it's kind of a change of pace. Having an overworld map means that you aren't just going into the same dungeon over and over, which is neat.
That's good to hear. I'm still waiting to see if I can preorder it from Amazon here (UK) as I've got some vouchers, but as far as I can see Koch/Deepsilver are allowing pre-orders from everyone but them!

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how much of an Etrian Odyssey community there is here on ResetEra, but I've been working on the |OT| for Nexus and have a draft ready here. My first |OT|, so if anyone has suggestions for improvement or wants to contribute, let me know ^_^

Also, afaik, we're still awaiting any news of what the DLC plans for the NA and EU versions of the game are. I assume it will be the same as the JP version, but I don't know if there has been any official word. If someone has an official source stating the DLC plans, let me know.

Also, I welcome any suggestions for an |OT| title!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not sure how much of an Etrian Odyssey community there is here on ResetEra, but I've been working on the |OT| for Nexus and have a draft ready here. My first |OT|, so if anyone has suggestions for improvement or wants to contribute, let me know ^_^

Also, afaik, we're still awaiting any news of what the DLC plans for the NA and EU versions of the game are. I assume it will be the same as the JP version, but I don't know if there has been any official word. If someone has an official source stating the DLC plans, let me know.

Lovely! I'll have a think and see if I can come up with anything, thanks for working on an OT, am looking forward to playing it.

Currently retailers here (UK) are really unclear about the launch edition, some say only manual (presumably a cheap thin paper artbook that fits in a standard case) and box.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Well a lot of us don't post here much but activity should pick up as Nexus nears. I guess we could reuse the fight and heal meme again for the subtitle but if there's any better ideas you can use them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nexus in Latin is 'a binding together', perhaps we could do something with a referenced to the bind mechanics?

'Bound together one last time on 3DS'

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Well I guess we need to have something about it being the last entry on the 3DS, but I'm not that big a fan of focusing on that.

Maybe something like "Everyone is here"? Just thinking more about how it's a combination of all the previous games and how all portraits are available for use.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well I guess we need to have something about it being the last entry on the 3DS, but I'm not that big a fan of focusing on that.

Maybe something like "Everyone is here"? Just thinking more about how it's a combination of all the previous games and how all portraits are available for use.
That's really nice. Maybe a reference to the variety of party builds, 'Everyone is here, party time!' Might be a bit too generic for an RPG though.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

The Final Crossroads.

EO deserves a poetic title for the last hurrah, IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
omlet

omlet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how much of an Etrian Odyssey community there is here on ResetEra, but I've been working on the |OT| for Nexus and have a draft ready here.
During/after the initial move over to here, I set up an EO Discord to facilitate things. Some of the more active EO folks from past threads hang out there (or did). We mostly talk about stuff other than EO because we're just waiting for Nexus but folks are welcome to join. Once Nexus arrives I'm sure the EO discussion will be back in swing.

If anyone wants an invite PM me!

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Im on the 5th stratum on untold 2 (story mode, hardest difficulty). Buncha hours in but needed a bit of a break.

Will get back to it after finishing hollow knight.

Then still need to start and finish eo5 before nexus. :x

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually really thinking of doing this one! However, the Smash OT chose this for OT2, and I figured it's better not to duplicate the titles.

The Final Crossroads.

EO deserves a poetic title for the last hurrah, IMO
I agree, I'd like something poetic as well.

There's a line from the beginning of Nexus, when you first arrive in the world map. Translated from Japanese and paraphrased from my poor memory, it says something like: "A clear blue sky stretches before you, almost as if it were blessing the start of your new adventure..." I was kind of thinking of doing something like that, but it's a bit too long. Still, I like that it references the sky theme of the game, and I think it captures the spirit of Etrian Odyssey.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I was actually really thinking of doing this one! However, the Smash OT chose this for OT2, and I figured it's better not to duplicate the titles.

I agree, I'd like something poetic as well.

There's a line from the beginning of Nexus, when you first arrive in the world map. Translated from Japanese and paraphrased from my poor memory, it says something like: "A clear blue sky stretches before you, almost as if it were blessing the start of your new adventure..." I was kind of thinking of doing something like that, but it's a bit too long. Still, I like that it references the sky theme of the game, and I think it captures the spirit of Etrian Odyssey.
The Eternal Blue Sky? (I think Final Crossroad is more apt given the theme though.)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The Eternal Blue Sky? (I think Final Crossroad is more apt given the theme though.)
Yeah, I agree that referencing the crossover aspect is important.

I'm kind of hesitant to call it the "final" crossroads though, because I want to believe this isn't the last Etrian Odyssey game ^_^ But then again, maybe it's okay because this is the final one on 3DS.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm in the second stratum of EOV and wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not reclassing from a different race. Any particular suggestions? I have Pugilist, Harbinger, Rover, Warlock and Shaman and would like to keep those classes for now.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Will Nexus likely be the "one" game in the series that a relative newcomer needs to play? I only have time for one, and I loved (but never finished) IV back when it came out. I no longer own it but I'm hankering for some more EO.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm in the second stratum of EOV and wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not reclassing from a different race. Any particular suggestions? I have Pugilist, Harbinger, Rover, Warlock and Shaman and would like to keep those classes for now.

The classes are made to fit their race so you don't really need to reclass unless you're trying to min-max stats. That said, Therian Impact Pugs and Celestrian Poisoner Botanists are popular reclasses since they added to important stats for those specializations.

As for Nexus, I don't know but it shouldn't be harder to get into compared to other games.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought EO Nexus was a late february release. I think I'm going to postpone RE 2, Tales of Vesperia and Etrian deserve more support, and honestly RE sells like hotcakes.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any plans for team builds on EOX? I'm looking to run Gunner and Sovereign, but no idea what else I want.
I've been poking around at the online EOX Skill Simulator but am still not completely sure what sort of build to start with. Sovereign is a good mix of buffs and healing, so I'm planning to put one in also. Once healing's out of the way, I'd like to have some source of elemental damage, some source of physical damage, something good against single tank-y targets (like FOEs and bosses), some wide-area damage, and then maybe round it off with binds or status effects or something. But I'm still pondering what mix to use exactly.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I already have a planned party based on my previous party members in previous games. A crossover game requires a crossover party after all.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Which reminds me, with EO Ⅳ-style subclassing available, I suspect EOX will also be difficult to make a bad party with since you'll have a ton of subclass possibilities to cover any gaps in a party's lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
I never realized the Arcanist had such a potent nuke on dismiss circle. Sadly you can only fire it off every other turn, since they have no way to auto circle.

Survivalist looks to have some fun synergy with Ninja for a dodge focused build, but the problem becomes which class should be main, and which should be sub.

As far as poison goes, it seems Nightseeker is the endgame poison class. 130 base with 60% chance to inflict. Sweet.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped back into EOV this weekend, trying to finish it up before Nexus comes out.

I'm on floor 12 lol.

Also my 3DS is definitely aging, poor thing's battery is on the fritz.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any first week free DLC deals with EOX/Nexus? The release snuck up on and I forgot to preorder, so I'm kinda worried I wont be able to get it day 1.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I beat EO3, getting the Armoroad ending, missing out on a drop by not beating Olympia first. Ah well. Leaving the postgame for later. I also have E05, but I'll be not starting that for a while, I want to finish replaying Persona 4 Golden and FFX-2.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I know I won't beat EO Nexus - just like I didn't beat any of the previous games since 2 - but I also know I will have my 20-30+ hours of fun with it. So day 1. Maybe a day early if my local store has it already on monday. <3

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Was looking around for a Nexus OT, but it isn't up yet (saw it was claimed in the OT thread though), so posting here. I know it comes out this tuesday but still I'm going into town later today if I can find a copy. I really can't wait for this. Etrian secretley became my favourite 3DS-series. I really hope they continue this in one way or another.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I am not sure what would be the best way to retain the mapping future, as that is rather integral to the series.

Small map you can switch to and increase it's size to draw on? Put it on mobile for the touch effect? I don't really see any other solution without flatout removing it, which would suck.