• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I highly doubt that this is the end of the series, but I feel like Atlus might just drop the cartography entirely in lieu of a more typical auto map feature. Maybe they could offer a few different mapping styles since every EO fan makes their maps a little bit different.

As for Nexus, I've been a fan of the series for over a decade at this point and it's one of my favorite series ever so I am very excited for the game and its EO all-stars theme. That said, I admittedly haven't played much of V yet. It came at a really busy time and I put it on the shelf for a later date. So the release of Nexus caught me off guard since I was still thinking about V. Does Nexus pay much homage to V? I'm trying to decide whether to shelve V even longer so I can play Nexus now, or play V now and shelve Nexus. I have heard so many great things about V so I am excited to play it regardless.

Last edited:

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if they go way of Labyrinth of Refrain or the Sega Ages Phantasy Star on the Switch, game auto maps but have a map take up part of the screen. Maybe letting you mark in special spots on the map if you need to.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to post the Nexus OT soon (when I wake up in the morning). But I just wanted to double check with you all before I do:

Atlus hasn't said anything about the DLC plans for the English versions of the game yet, have they? It's a bit of a shame, since having all the portraits back is such a big part of the fun in the Japanese version. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC is still there and they just haven't said anything; that seems like kind of an Atlus thing to do.

Edit: I'm reading on Reddit that someone with an early copy can see there is DLC in the game, but it says unavailable. So that gives me hope that it's coming in some form.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus hasn't said anything about the DLC plans for the English versions of the game yet, have they? It's a bit of a shame, since having all the portraits back is such a big part of the fun in the Japanese version. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC is still there and they just haven't said anything; that seems like kind of an Atlus thing to do.

Edit: I'm reading on Reddit that someone with an early copy can see there is DLC in the game, but it says unavailable. So that gives me hope that it's coming in some form.
I don't recall Atlus ever leaving any EO DLC out of the localized version, and I expect the portraits won't be an exception. Since the game doesn't officially come out until tomorrow, it'll probably be a day 1 DLC release.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any hype here for Etrian Nexus? I only played EO V but loved it. Possibly will buy EN, now that I have finished KH3.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for Nexus, but I need to finish V first (and EOU2 lol).

Just replaced my 3DS battery though, so I should be able to get cracking on finishing V.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
IIRC there wasn't a demo with the Japanese release, so they might no release a demo for the West. We'll see when it launches tomorrow.
That's a shame. The demos were fun and really sold me on the games.

I have a little trepidation about getting this cuz it seems like it's a "best of" and having played all the EO I may be retreading old and sometimes frustrating ground.

Last edited:

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just got the game, the DLS portraits are there:
- Inventor's Experience (triple EXP accesoire)
- Inventor's Fortune (100% material drop rate accessoire)
- EO 1&2 Portraits
- EO 3 Portraits
- EO 4 Portraitsa
- EO 5 Portraits
- New Adventurers (10th anniversary portraits)
- PROJECT Re FANTASY (portraits from said games artist)
- Hero Class Bikini Armor (toggle option)
Everything so far has the price listed as "Expired", so maybe it will become available tomorrow.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the game, the DLS portraits are there:
- Inventor's Experience (triple EXP accesoire)
- Inventor's Fortune (100% material drop rate accessoire)
- EO 1&2 Portraits
- EO 3 Portraits
- EO 4 Portraitsa
- EO 5 Portraits
- New Adventurers (10th anniversary portraits)
- PROJECT Re FANTASY (portraits from said games artist)
- Hero Class Bikini Armor (toggle option)
Everything so far has the price listed as "Expired", so maybe it will become available tomorrow.
Thanks, that's helpful! I'll add this information to the OT.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I recently started EOV and I have a question - does dragoon's dragon roar work on summons? I know it can be used on them but I'm not sure it's actually having an effect.

Gila Moo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how many of y'all know this but there's supposed to be a new Etrian Odyssey artbook coming out this spring - https:///etrian-odyssey-v-x-character-art-book-now-in-production-releasing-spring-2019/
Hopefully it'll be available for international shipping. I've managed to collect all the other artbooks so far.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been neglecting to play EOV lately, but I hunkered down and managed to finally finish the 5th stratum. Then I took a few steps into 26F, got ambushed and had my entire party arm & leg bound.

I won't be picking up Nexus for quite a while, so let's see if I can finish this stratum by then.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been neglecting to play EOV lately, but I hunkered down and managed to finally finish the 5th stratum. Then I took a few steps into 26F, got ambushed and had my entire party arm & leg bound.

I won't be picking up Nexus for quite a while, so let's see if I can finish this stratum by then.

im in the oposite camp, i negectled eov (currebtly in the midle of stratum 3) but i picked up nexus. now i have eo for the whole year haha

idlethreats

Oct 28, 2017
Chiming in as another person who left EOV on the backburner and was then caught off guard by Nexus this week. I don't want to play the series out of order, so can't dive into Nexus right now but at least it motivated me to get back to EOV. I made it to the 2nd Stratum when EOV first came out, but got really bored because it felt way too easy. I decided it was the worst entry in the series and then just kind of forgot about it. Now that I've picked EOV back up, I'm pretty addicted to the cartography all over again, and I guess the difficulty has ramped up a bit since the Lich King just handed me my ass.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Crawling through floor 15 in EOV right now before I can dive into Nexus.

I didn't help myself by (almost) completely replacing my team this weekend though. Dropped my Dragoon, Fencer, and Botanist for a Masurao, Pugilist, and a different Botanist. Also planning on replacing my Rover with a Necromancer, but I needed grandma to steward the newbies. The only holdover is my Warlock.

I might end up keeping my Rover around though, the passive healing is really nice. If I do I might swap my current Botanist for a Shaman or something.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
It seems I got stuck in EOV... on deciding which legendary titles to choose for my party. Except for my masauro because imagining her running around with four katanas is too hilarious to pass up.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
The only one I was stuck on was my pugilist. I already knew what I wanted for everyone else in my party. The only other time I was stuck was what to call the titles, went with Punch Master (pugilist), Lady of Swords (masurao), Cerberus Queen (rover), Buff and Heal (shaman) and Ethereal Witch (warlock).

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I went with Spirit Evoker for my Necro but I'm not really feeling it and will probably switch him to the other one. Honestly both of necro's skillsets seem a bit awkward to me and I may end up ditching him for a warlock if neither works for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to 30F. The teleporters were a nightmare. I think I'll take the time to grind for a bit before I fight the boss.

Cannon Dragoon best Dragoon.

I went the whole main game with a shield dragoon. She pulled her weight, but was admittedly a bit on the bland side. Then I did the quest to kill the elephant and got my first taste of Buster Cannon. Whoo boy.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is not Untold patches to rebalances the game without grimoires (or to don't depend blantly in luck in boss battles in U2) right? I think it would be a interesting project... if I had such skills.

Mar 19, 2019
On Nexus, I was pretty surprised to find myself enjoying it as much as I did. The "All-Star Gallery" gimmick of the game does kind of have you retreading old ground a bit much, but the game did a good job of reconciling the different games' sometimes dramatically different approaches to class and boss design under one solid, unified design philosophy. It felt more cohesive than I expected, and my only complaint is the lack of EOV treatment. Definitely a hard recommend to anyone unsure about Nexus.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I set up to my Hero unit the Imperial subclass but only for the passives skills, the Hero class is pretty powerful at its own. Now to explore the 9th labyrinth :)

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I finally got to the fifth stratum in EO5, I was sidetracked by the sudden desire to read (ended up reading about 9 books since I last played a game). It's not too hard so far, my main party are all level 70, I still fight most random battles so that everyone else in my guild can level up.

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to the fifth stratum in EO5, I was sidetracked by the sudden desire to read (ended up reading about 9 books since I last played a game). It's not too hard so far, my main party are all level 70, I still fight most random battles so that everyone else in my guild can level up.
Glad to hear you're still in the game 👍 The fifth stratum is pretty enjoyable with a fun gimmick and really good song to boot.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Kinda stuck on

Eternal Tyrant

Gonna keep trying though, if not with the party I used all game, then I'll try using guild members (I'm glad I was using the memory conch all this time, they're all level 60+)

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
It's essentially a superboss.
I steamrolled pretty much everything in the game with my party built around a 4kat Masurao up until that point and some bosses I killed so fast I needed to look up just what their gimmick was online afterward. But it took like ten tries or something against the final boss. There's just so much stuff it can do to mess with you and balancing the damage you do to it so that you don't kill yourself makes the fight even more troublesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I decided to not buy Untold 2, I'll get it next time it's on sale. For now I'll just play what I can of 5's postgame, and I started a playthrough of Untold 1's classic mode (I beat story mode last year and then lost my save data). I'm mostly happy with my party choices, except for maybe the protector, but I love her character portrait. I went with Landsknecht/Protector/Medic/Alchemist/Hexer.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
So everyone in my guild is now level 16, one party for exploring and one for using chop/mine/take. I'm going to try out different party members.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Besides Final Fantasy soundtracks appearing in Spotify this week, it seems Etrian Odyssey also got one uploaded. Well, Nexus. Hopefully the other ones appear soon. This reminds me I need to buy Nexus and finish 5.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My main video game project this year is breeding every single hidden ability Pokemon with interesting egg moves, I'm halfway through Johto. Whenever I take a break from that task though I play an EO game, one of my favorite franchises that I kinda sorta ignored after being disappointed with IV. As I posted in the Nexus thread I beat the crap out of that long game, and one day while waiting for my mom and temporarily out of Pokémon to breed I decided I'd get the demo for EO V all set, the next game on my list only to find that I played the crap out of the demo and had my party good to go, so I went and beat the First Stratum...three weeks later and I'm near the end of the regular game.

Coming off of EO Nexus this game is seemingly breezy and with fewer character classes, but then you get master classes and then you have 20 mostly unique builds, though if you squint at the EO Nexus class trees you'll kinda notice for the EO V classes that they basically have access (and enough points) to make an awesome mixed character. This game is fun if a bit easy; the bosses aren't anything special but I enjoy how much it feels like EO 1/2 and not like 3/4. The story is minimal compared to 3/4, the stratum are meaty, a full five floors taking up most of the map with one or two unique gimmicks per. The FOEs are better than the bosses. Because this game has the lovely memory conch I decided to make one character for each build with no extra characters for gathering. I do miss farmers dearly but I've figured out a few tricks for easy exp grinding when it comes to retiring after the cap.

This game might have the single best set of character classes excluding Nexus which is almost unfair. Necromancer in particular is fun, as are naked tanking Fencer and 4 swords Masuraos remind me of the old days of all accessory nonsense.

I also like how the game:
Almost certainly takes place on Mars. The human class being called Earthian, two moons on the game over screen, the girl mentioning how there was nothing here when she planted the tree and grew the untamed garden.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like EOV more than Nexus. I have issues with EOV basically dropping the ball on the story after the 4th stratum, but the classes are more interesting in V and I love the design of the 5th and 6th strata.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been to six yet but I love the anti gravity stuff in five. Real clever use of FOEs and walls and water tiles you normally cannot cross. I also liked how teleporters worked in the 4th stratum.

As far as classes go I really love Necromancer, Masurao and Fencer, the first chaser job I've ever really liked. Not a huge fan of Shaman. Warlock is just another not quite as good as EO1 Alchemist class but has some cute tricks in both paths. Botanist is fun, one half standard too good at their job medic, the other half the class I always wished War Medic would be. Harbringer is very good though better in EO Nexus. Pugilist looks like a monk but is actually the best Dark Hunter. Rovers are kinda bleh. Dragoons are the backrow Protector that can actually do something in the backrow! Like EO 1/2 this game has a ton of things you want to put back there but can't find the room for.

I really dug the levels of EO Nexus's last few unique dungeons. I think Hero is the single best class Atlus has ever made for one of these games. I also didn't like the subclassing in EO III/IV at all, not enough points to make the builds I wanted until retirement but the nature of EO Nexus having the 99 level cap to begin with made the builds feel right by the end of the regular game and incredible when fully maxed out at retired 130/130...which still weren't enough to make the sixth stratum boss and the true final boss easy!