• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Is it considered "cheating" to have a whole bunch of different parties? By midgame I usually have one set up to fully map labyrinths, avoiding all combat while farming gathering spots for everything they're worth, then I use the acquired money/materials to equip a second squad to do all the events/missions, and gather enemy materials, which I then use to round out equips for the foe/boss-killing squad...

It just feels like one of those mechanics the game means for you to use, but lots of people never do, so they end up thinking the series is a lot harder than it is XD

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Just hit level cap with most of my party in the post game, have yet to kill any of the big endgame bosses (and still have a few floors left.) Feels like I should probably heavily respec my team now to take advantage of the exp rather than letting it go to waste, but what should I go with to beat all these super bosses?

Current team is Ronin, Hero, Sovereign, Gunner, Zodiac. Hero and Zodiac have their ultimate armors, everything else is just whatever.

Any tips? Just want to swivel smoothly into crushing the postgame stuff rather than flailing till I hit the bosses with my current stuff, then needing to completely rebuild from scratch. Don't mind being hella cheap about it, btw. And skill point distribution would be nice, too. Just kinda want to blast through and finish off the last bit of game I have left here so I can sit it down and take a break from EO till PQ2, as I'm feeling a chunk of burnout with this one.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it considered "cheating" to have a whole bunch of different parties? By midgame I usually have one set up to fully map labyrinths, avoiding all combat while farming gathering spots for everything they're worth, then I use the acquired money/materials to equip a second squad to do all the events/missions, and gather enemy materials, which I then use to round out equips for the foe/boss-killing squad...

It just feels like one of those mechanics the game means for you to use, but lots of people never do, so they end up thinking the series is a lot harder than it is XD
I dunno about others but I usually create all character types from the outset and then just change up my party for each labyrinth. Not to a party that will work best with whatever I'll have to deal with, but just something to change things up so I'm not playing the same old way each time and forcing myself to try different character builds. I find it's a good way to stop things from being stagnant for me.

I will add I do have the DLC for quickly levelling up just so I don't need to worry about training up everyone which I guess could be frowned on.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so I'm seeing something online that's throwing me (postgame spoilers)
People talking about postgame mention fighting the dragons like right away, and there's this Draconic Grassland or something where they appear... and I don't have that. And I'm guessing that may allow you to break above level 99, since they usually raise the level cap. What am I missing here?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited:

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been playing this since it came out and I'm fairly certain I'm nearing the end, currently on the first floor of

The Sandy Barrens

And I just noticed there have been no Labyrinths so far from EOV, someone please tell me the post game fixes this as it kinda feels like EOV got a huge snub in this given how little representation it has had.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
To those who beat Labyrinths 11 and 12, around what level were you when you defeated the bosses at the end? I'd like a rough idea of how much grinding I'll have to do. D:
I haven't beaten 12 yet, but for labyrinth 11 most of the FOEs were still yellow on the map so I couldn't have been that highly leveled.

So I've been playing this since it came out and I'm fairly certain I'm nearing the end, currently on the first floor of

The Sandy Barrens

And I just noticed there have been no Labyrinths so far from EOV, someone please tell me the post game fixes this as it kinda feels like EOV got a huge snub in this given how little representation it has had.

None of the labyrinths in the game are modeled after EOV.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017

The Sandy Barrens

I don't think they meant to snub it. I think they just wanted to avoid recycling content so soon, since EOV is the last game that came out.

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
There are technically lore reasons for no EO5 labyrinths

Last edited:

idlethreats

Oct 28, 2017
This is such a minor complaint, but it irks me every time I run into Kincaid and the Blades and he introduces himself like we haven't already met twelve times. I'm the most accomplished guild in Maginia, how you gonna forget me like that, bruh.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, think I'm done. According to the 3DS counter, I'm at 65 hours, and I've got 100% maps turned in and just the final superboss left. Well, that and conditional drop hunting plus killing the remaining FOEs, but eh. At this point it would largely come down to either stupid grinding or buying the grinding dlc to copy somebody else's cheap strategy, so think I'll just call it done instead, as it's just one boss, and when I did that for V, it felt more like a pain rather than a well earned victory. (I beat 1 and 3's also, the latter with some cheap Ninja spam trick IIRC, while I've never beaten the ones in 2 and 4, but I'm not too upset over that.)

Overall... I think I'm net a little disappointed, as something about the game felt kinda half-baked. Especially the labyrinth variety near the end, which just sort of killed the momentum, but I don't think the pacing was really right either. Just feels kind of half-baked/not all there, like IV (which is my most meh in the franchise, aside from EOU story mode). Still not a bad game, mind you, but I think it falls on the lower end of the franchise for me, especially since quite frankly, they straight up messed up the curve with the bosses for Labyrinths 12 and 13, which would have been way better if you straight up flipped them (not thematically, just in terms of difficulty.)

Edit: I forget, how does Guild Card junk work? Any chance that can be used to cheat my way quickly to a party that can win, or not really? Because that's really the only way I see myself doing it.

Last edited:

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017
I've slowed down a lot on this game over the past week or two. Starting to get a little fatigued with all the FOE dodging, specifically in the lower levels of the 5th labyrinth. I know it's EO, so that's kind of the point, but for whatever reason I'm finding this area a lot more frustrating than previous games - getting trapped and forced to thread out of the dungeon a lot.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a minor complaint, but it irks me every time I run into Kincaid and the Blades and he introduces himself like we haven't already met twelve times. I'm the most accomplished guild in Maginia, how you gonna forget me like that, bruh.
This is why I scanned some guild cards, which led to a rather amusing scene thanks to the DLC portraits.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The farmer class is so useful to explore old labyrinths, I "discovered" a new place (with almost nothing except one rare item) in the 3rd labyrinth thanks to this class. I was reading in the Wiki Farmer units have the highest luck in the game, that information change a bit my choices regarding subclassing. I think I will bother when I unlock it later, tho.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fully completed the game. Thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through (with some aggravations on the superboss) and a great swansong to the dual-screen EO experience. Can't wait for more dungeon dual-screen mapping with Persona Q2 in June.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Petal Bridge is still excellent as always, but somehow feels kinda weird it's there without Auburn Thicket... unless Auburn be a future labyrinth. I hope so because Auburn (along Petal) are my two favorites dungeons from EO 2 :P

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The superboss is utterly ridiculous again. I wish the whole "do this to fight an easier version of the superboss" thing from EO4 was carried over into the later games.

I think I'm just going to finish up the 1-2% of the game that I have left with my main party (all that should be left I think is one chest, the final field FOE, one FOE in the postgame dungeon, and a few conditional drops), then follow video guides and whip together a separate party for the superbosses. This game is amazing, but at 98 hours in I just wanna be done so I can play other things.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Man there's too much shrine in this game. I wish they at least gave them different color schemes and music.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i felt like i was gaming the system by binding the legs of the 4th labyrinth boss. of course that prevents it from diving in the mud, but it's still able to try and fail on successive turns, something my party members can't do. that meant i had a much easier time controlling the fight, but it's weird that bind works differently for enemies than party members.
eh, wiped on it enough i guess. I'll take the W.

related: LOVE pugilist. leaning into corkscrew is really piling on damage.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The superboss is utterly ridiculous again. I wish the whole "do this to fight an easier version of the superboss" thing from EO4 was carried over into the later games.

I think I'm just going to finish up the 1-2% of the game that I have left with my main party (all that should be left I think is one chest, the final field FOE, one FOE in the postgame dungeon, and a few conditional drops), then follow video guides and whip together a separate party for the superbosses. This game is amazing, but at 98 hours in I just wanna be done so I can play other things.

The superboss has a clear pattern on daytime while at night it's random, not unlike the Ur-Child in EO2 although it doesn't use a OHKO move randomly.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The superboss has a clear pattern on daytime while at night it's random, not unlike the Ur-Child in EO2 although it doesn't use a OHKO move randomly.
If I had the time to learn all the patterns I could probably beat it. My party does put out a high amount of damage while also covering all the bases and the rest of the game has pretty much been a cakewalk. But Fate/Extella Link comes out in like a week and I have something else I wanna make some headway on before it does. As far as I can see there's no detailed guide on GameFAQs for it either, just some general guidelines.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main game up yesterday, not sure how I really feel about this compared to the others I've played (all the western released 3DS ones inc Mystery Dungeon). I liked it alot but didn't love it and in the end I just felt like I was forcing myself forward just to finish the game and not cause I was excited to explore more.

I think my big gripe is just visual aspects of the Labyrinths, having the Shrine show up 4 times and the final dungeon just be a kinda recolour of that felt way too repetitive. Plus 3 or 4 of the other Labyrinths were just variations on random forest area, just felt like too much green :| Would have liked it if they could have gone with a more diverse selection of locations.

But still a great game, just not the best the series has to offer IMO (V is going to be hard to beat for me).

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Primitive Jungle is the worst choice for one of the returning labyrinths. Should have picked Cerulean Woodlands or Auburn Thicket which would at least be a change of color. It's also a pity that they didn't have any of the 5th labyrinths in the game, even if it's kind of hard to justify it story wise. The 5th labyrinths are some of the best designs in their respective games.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I liked the fifth labyrinth in the first one, that was really interesting.

I got a bit tired of the shrines and their ramparts in Nexus towards the end- it felt like a theme that outstayed it's welcome after 20+ floors across them all.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the idea behind the Shrines, but they just got too long given they had the split level gimmick in most of them so instead of having to need walls to split the path up they just had these raised areas that could count as floor needed to navigate as well. This would have been OK if the floors had of been small, but by the end it was just too much.

I think Nexus is a good example of why less is more, I loved V for being a nice straight to the point EO game, 25 floors, 5 Stratums no bloat. This just felt like it had too much and over stayed it's welcome abit. If there had of been more variety in the Labyrinths and if the shrines had of been kept to 2 or 3 floors and not drawn out I think I would of had less of an issue.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I normally have a gathering/exploring party too, the farmer class pretty much suggests it. There are so many classes I wanted to try in Nexus that I had one of everything, and deployed reserve combatants as bodyguards for the gatherers.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Just 100% cleared the game on Heroic mode, total playtime was 103 hours. Party for almost the entire game outside of the three toughest enemies was Hero/Imperial, Protector/Highlander, Nightseeker/Shogun, Zodiac/Shogun, and Arcanist/Harbinger.

For Dinogator I just used the Vampire cheese strat (I didn't need to take pictures of a million guild cards cause I hit 100 hours in right when I started trying to fight him). For the superbosses I took the Protector, Zodiac, and Arcanist out and replaced them with a Harbinger/Highlander, Gunner/Landshark, and Sovereign/Zodiac (for Prophecies). Partly to cheese the first superboss with ultra-delay damage strats, and partly because the second superboss' petrify move needs a surefire/almost surefire way of nullifying it or you're just leaving things to chance. Even then the true final boss took me a good few attempts, and that last successful attempt ended with all of my party dead except the Gunner and the Harbinger with no way to survive another turn.

I loved the heck out of Nexus and it might be the "best" game in the series even, but after 103 hours of pure dungeon crawling I'm more than ready to be done for a while. At least until June when Persona Q2 comes out.

Here's Dr. Fetus' write up on the superboss AI in case you want to try again:
https://pastebin.com/5SAhQvgp

This is what led me to using cheese strats instead of my main party. That input read on the Protector's guard skills is cruel.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Primitive Jungle is the worst choice for one of the returning labyrinths. Should have picked Cerulean Woodlands or Auburn Thicket which would at least be a change of color. It's also a pity that they didn't have any of the 5th labyrinths in the game, even if it's kind of hard to justify it story wise. The 5th labyrinths are some of the best designs in their respective games.

You know, for much I love Petal Bridge, its inclusion is a bit weird by the absence of any kind of explanation about what is below the labyrinth. At least the Petal Bridge from High Lagaard we knew it was the highest point of its respective Yggdrasil tree. It would have been cute hear about a big, dangerous pit below the labyrinth lol

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I were to select 2 stratums each from Etrian Odyssey 1-4 I would go with:

Etrian Odyssey 1:
Emerald Grove
Sandy Barrens

Etrian Odyssey 2:
Frozen Grounds
Petal Bridge

Etrian Odyssey 3:
Undersea Grotto
Molten Caves

Etrian Odyssey 4:
Misty Ravine
Echoing Library

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So, how hard IS it to set up a cheese party for the superboss? Starting to think that maybe I could just grind one up with minimal attention paid to the game as I watch shows each night or something. Anyone have any suggestions?

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
So, how hard IS it to set up a cheese party for the superboss? Starting to think that maybe I could just grind one up with minimal attention paid to the game as I watch shows each night or something. Anyone have any suggestions?
Superboss 1: Not hard at all. This video shows one off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTx_iQD1z4A. You just need to be able to do 17K or so damage a turn with high delay attacks, which isn't difficult when you combine Regiment Wave and Delayed Fire with the Sovereign's Fire Arms ability plus a bunch of buffs and debuffs. You may need act delay items like the steel shield or the boots you get from killing the last field FOE to pull this off though.

Superboss 2: The Hero/Nightseeker/Gunner/Harbinger/Soverign party that can cheese superboss 1 also does good on superboss 2, but there isn't really a straightforward cheese strategy for this one like there is for the first superboss. You absolutely need some kind of move to block aliments (it has a target all inflict petrify skill), the ability to mitigate physical damage (it has a target all huge phyiscal damage skill that's impossible to completely shut down), and the ability to neutralize elemental skills (it frequently uses a heavily damaging elec skill and also has an extremely powerful fire skill, both target all).

There's also the last overworld map FOE that can be really tough, but it also has a cheese strategy.

If you have the accessory that unlocks the "vampire" force skill/break, the force boost will leave you at 1 HP for as long as its active no matter how hard your'e hit. You can put it on a level one character and make a party of a single high luck character that can inflict curse (like a level 130 Nightseeker) and the level one character. Use the Vampire force boost on turn one and inflict curse, and Dinogator will kill itself for you with it's ridiculous 10-hit super attack. It's act speed is so slow that even a level one character can use a formaldehyde before it goes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It feel nice you can still make dinosaurs fall in pits. Just for that (and honestly the floor layouts are very interesting) Ancient Forest is giving me more fun I wasn't expecting.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Still slowly picking my way through this; I'm on the 10th stratum now. Kinda surprised/impressed how long it is, though a lot of that is how dense the shrines are.

Ended up finalizing my party as:

Hero / Farmer (tp restore at full hp is pretty great)
Imperial / Ronin (disappointing that stances don't work with drive blades, but the passives are still great)
Harbinger / Arcanist (very strong)
Sovereign / Medic (see above)
Survivalist / Ninja (blind arrow and hazy arrow are amazing; chain dance less so)

Overall this is one of the strongest parties I've ever had. I've been wrecking the last several bosses without too much trouble. Accel drive is already hitting for 1.6k+ when I line it up right, and I still only have it at 4/10 skill points. Hazy arrow is also at 1k, and my 1 skill point regiment rave is 500+. Stuff dies pretty fast, healing is almost 100% automatic, and I have enough sustain to hit inventory limits before I'm running out of TP.

The only thing I wonder about is whether harbinger / ninja would let my harbinger attack from the back row with no penalty. Does "mastering" ninja proficiency at 2 points work that way, or do you need ninja to be the primary job and invest 4 points?

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
The melee penalty is only removed at 4 points, so sub Ninja cannot get the removal.

You should main Ninja anyway :foe:

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I unlocked subclassing yey

How I really feel:

ShoddyMilkyCrownofthornsstarfish-small.gif

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Finished the main game, but cannae be arsed with the postgame. That was...a slog. Hell, it even felt like the devs themselves were getting bored of things by the time the third shrine came around. The last couple of dungeons were especially poor, with floors twice the size they needed to be. If I'd know what was coming, I'd have quit while it was still fun, instead of assuming I'd just hit a brief lull XD

Also, I missed the inter-connectivity from earlier games. They should've integrated the sub-dungeons into the main ones, made them hidden areas, not boring options on a level select menu. It was bad enough that they ditched the explorable world map!

Hopefully they'll try to expand the series when it inevitably evolves onto the Switch. If anything, Nexus felt like a massive step backwards.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if the Hero's Encourage passive will trigger multiple times on the Pugilist's skills/passives that use multiple skills like One-Two Punch & Following Strike?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes are really great. I've got mine near the initial level cap. Subbed Imperialist to get a good weapon on her.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I have been taking my time with it . I just unlocked sub classing. Im 50 hours in and it feels like I only completed 1/3 of the game

Subclassing is late in this game...not that there isn't a whole lot left. Maybe right at 2/3rds? I've got to be near the end of the regular game myself and I've only been multiclassed for a few full dungeons and a few side dungeons now, maybe 3 and 3?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Long game is looooooooooooooooooooong. I think I'm at the end?

Having a "tank" what can do redonk damage by lvl 70ish isn't half bad.

Hero is basically the perfect frontline class.

Has a shield, has access to all three elemental attacks. Regiment Rave is one of the best abilities in the game. Has both low speed and high speed attacks. Maxed out clones can stay the entire battle and have the same hp and attack you do. Honestly by far the best clone class they've ever made. They also heal the entire party by using abilities and its a decent percentage too that can keep a lot of parties up without using a Medic/War Magus/Arcanist/Sovereign. And that's only really talking about the offensive side of their tree, they're legitimately one of the better trees for tanking and can get aggro on them in the right circumstances, which can lead to some real nonsense with a Shogun on the team spamming frontline command.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Subclassing is late in this game...not that there isn't a whole lot left. Maybe right at 2/3rds? I've got to be near the end of the regular game myself and I've only been multiclassed for a few full dungeons and a few side dungeons now, maybe 3 and 3?
You're around halfway in if you include postgame.
Good to know. It strangely felt like I was early in the game. 1/2 means theres a lot left to play. Nice