• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017
No Dancer is a bummer, how am I supposed to set up massive chase chains with my Landshark. Haven't really played an EO game since 4, so I'm pretty excited to jump back into one.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I still have 5 to play ugh!! I may buy anyways lol. I'm really confused about story/content. Is this a new story or are they literally using stiry beats from other games? Also, is it all new to end and dungeons or are those being reused? If it's mostly recycled content I may not buy it
New story.

Reused dungeon themes, monsters, and music, but all new floor layouts.

I think a few of the dungeon themes, monsters, and music may be new as well, but I'm not actually sure because I haven't played every game in the series. If someone else could confirm, that would be great.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
So this has EO3-4's subclass system too? Oh man team building is going to be so fun.

New story.

I think a few of the dungeon themes, monsters, and music may be new as well, but I'm not actually sure because I haven't played every game in the series. If someone else could confirm, that would be great.

The music is definitely new, I like to listen to it early when the japan release hits lol. Yuzo Koshiro is the best.

The only info I'm disappointed on is not being able to change the colors for the DLC portraits, but there is probably enough portraits in the base game to mess around with. Really liked that addition in EO5.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
EU copy arrived today, but I still can't decide on my party... have until tomorrow when the portrait DLC is released anyway. Love the massive level of customisation of classes portraits etc. but wouldn't mind a return to 'standard' in the future. Also not sure how balanced EO Nexus is with so many options.

Is there an FM soundtrack DLC?

I really don't want this series to end, either way this is likely the end of EO as we know it :( I hope a new one gets announced for Switch or whatever... but for now I've got a brand new EO to sink into! probably going to spend all day tomorrow playing on the skill calculator instead or working lol.

Edit: Also Expert or Heroic? Always love a challenge in these games but want balance too. Thinking Expert would be perfect, just don't know how my end game will end up, might have some broken teams which destroy everything

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an FM soundtrack DLC?

I really don't want this series to end, either way this is likely the end of EO as we know it :( I hope a new one gets announced for Switch or whatever...
No FM and another game in the series has already been teased as being in development.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The numbered entries are really, really hard if you're not used to dungeon crawler. Instead, why not recommend the Untold games? Both games are remaking the first two games released on the DS, do feature a story and have various difficulty options. And even recommending Nexus ist the far better choice, in my opinion, than EO V. But that's. of course, is just my personal taste. Because I'm one of those guys who enable auto mapping and a rather low difficulty ;P
EOV is easier than EOU1. I haven't played EOU2 but if you're interested in the series, EOV is a good a place to start as any.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Surprisingly got this in the mail today from Amazon Canada. Now I need to spend the entire night figuring out what my part is going to be before I even turn it on.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
New story.

Interesting...it's a weird mashup old and new. Sounds good enough to me though with new floor layouts so I'm in

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Also Expert or Heroic? Always love a challenge in these games but want balance too. Thinking Expert would be perfect, just don't know how my end game will end up, might have some broken teams which destroy everything

Heroic is just Expert but with bragging rights on your guild card. If you lower the difficulty to Expert or below then you can't select Heroic again until NG+.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm doing some reading and I'm just wondering what some general guidelines are for party composition for this series? Also is it easy to change up your party if you've already sunk a few hours in?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the best classes in this game are:
  • Hero
  • Nightseeker
  • Sovereign
  • Gunner
  • Harbinger
If you have one or more of these in your party, you should be set.

Heh, this is basically the party I was intending to run, just swapping out nightseeker for imperial and maybe gunner for survivalist. Guess I'll be strolling down easy street this time.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm doing some reading and I'm just wondering what some general guidelines are for party composition for this series? Also is it easy to change up your party if you've already sunk a few hours in?
It should be pretty easy to change up your party, I usually do every few stratums.

A real basic composition is one dedicated healer, one dedicated tank, some sort of debuff/ailment class, and some attackers. These can split the front lines and back lines, but often the tank is a front line class and the healer is a backline one.

You can run pretty much any combination of classes and still do fine though, but that depends on your game knowledge/optimization.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've finished this game. Some fun facts/tidbits.

There are 62 total maps, the game is long.

There are 10 normal battle themes, 7 FOE themes, 11 boss themes (though one of the FOE tracks is End of Raging Winds and one of the boss tracks is End of Raging Waves), several dungeon themes from previous games as well.

Hero/Gunner is a good class combo overall for dishing out damage or defense (depending on your Hero setup). Sovereign is a good subclass in general (I used it for both a Medic and Harbinger). Zodiac/Imperial isn't as good for the toughest boss challenges, but a great class for wiping out standard mobs. I also had a Protector/Highlander and Survivalist/Landsknecht.

You can create extra units to sit behind at the guild, and use an accessory you get early to give them some EXP as your main team progresses through the labyrinth. That way it's a bit easier to swap in a unit later if you need to. I ended up making an extra unit for each class to sit around at the Guild so they could earn EXP.

MegaMelon

Feb 6, 2018
I must've spent more than 20 hours looking at the skills and teambuilding, can't wait to actually get the game. Anyone know if it'll be up on the UK eshop at midnight or later on at 2pm?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great OP, thanks for that!

My copy has been shipped, looking forward to the grid-based victory lap for what is looking like the last game for my 3DS after 8 years of service.

Definitely going to be using the hero class, and trying out as many combos as possible. Always had a soft spot for the sovereign too.

Oct 31, 2017
Probably Beyond the Labyrinth. It never made it out of Japan, which is a shame because it looked interesting at a time when there wasn't too much to play on the 3DS.

beyondlab22.jpg

From what I remember, the OST is pretty great.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It should be pretty easy to change up your party, I usually do every few stratums.

A real basic composition is one dedicated healer, one dedicated tank, some sort of debuff/ailment class, and some attackers. These can split the front lines and back lines, but often the tank is a front line class and the healer is a backline one.

You can run pretty much any combination of classes and still do fine though, but that depends on your game knowledge/optimization.
You can create extra units to sit behind at the guild, and use an accessory you get early to give them some EXP as your main team progresses through the labyrinth. That way it's a bit easier to swap in a unit later if you need to. I ended up making an extra unit for each class to sit around at the Guild so they could earn EXP.
Cheers for the advice! I was mainly concerned about potentially screwing myself over in the long term by making poor choices at the start of the game but it sounds like that shouldn't really be too much of an issue, especially if I hit that real basic composition and plan ahead with keeping some extra units behind.

Ghostbiscuit

Jan 11, 2019
Not sure how this snuck past me, will no doubt have it ordered later even though I still have V and Untold 2 still shrinkwrapped after the Switch stole away most of my 3DS time. As someone else said, this'll probably become harder to get a hold of as time goes on, so I should get on it early.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
EO4 is the best place to start IMO. It's the easiest and the overworld feature is really fun.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Etrian Odyssey is one of my favorite game series so I'm excited for the release (though admittedly I haven't dug into V yet). I ordered on Amazon but unfortunately it doesn't seem like I'm getting release date shipping. Pre-ordering games on Amazon is getting progressively less appealing.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your review! It was great, really thorough.

One question I have, if you're familiar with most of the games in the series: Are any of the bosses new in this game? I know a lot (all?) of the normal enemies are reused, but I wasn't sure about the bosses.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I haven't thought about Beyond the Labyrinth in years. Really wish I could've tried that one. Oh well.

On topic, undecided about my team outside of a Hero (because it's new) and a Sovereign (because that's still one of my favorite classes ever). Just gonna go with what I feel like at the time.

Kind of sad Beasts aren't included...I totally understand, but still. At least their portraits are available. Nothing wrong with having a random bear on your team.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I haven't thought about Beyond the Labyrinth in years. Really wish I could've tried that one. Oh well.

On topic, undecided about my team outside of a Hero (because it's new) and a Sovereign (because that's still one of my favorite classes ever). Just gonna go with what I feel like at the time.

Kind of sad Beasts aren't included...I totally understand, but still. At least their portraits are available. Nothing wrong with having a random bear on your team.
My secondary Farmer team will use mostly Beast portraits lol.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having looked at the offerings, probably going to start off with with Hero, Highlander, Sovereign, Gunner and Harbinger. Highlander, Sovereign and Gunner were mainstays for me in what I played of EOU2, so I like them a lot. Hero and Harbinger seem like they might round the team off well and they look cool.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is crazy to think that you can play 6 Etrian Odyssey games on the 3DS.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I probably won't be able to get this for a few months. Darn region locking. And then there's going to be PQ2 as well not long after.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your review! It was great, really thorough.

One question I have, if you're familiar with most of the games in the series: Are any of the bosses new in this game? I know a lot (all?) of the normal enemies are reused, but I wasn't sure about the bosses.

I have played all of the games in the series, but I won't pretend I'll remember every boss with certainty. I *think* the bosses in the North/South/etc shrines (the dungeons new to Nexus) and the end/post-game bosses are new.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This game has me reminiscing about how I got into the Etrian Odyssey games on DS. It was strange, I tried the original (published by Nintendo I think here, II and III I had to import) and gave up on it after three hours as even level 1 just felt really savage. Those killer butterflies!

Thing is, I really loved the mapping as it reminded me of playing both pen and paper RPGs as a child with my brother, and also
mapping old 8-bit computer games on graph paper. About a year later, I saw it discounted somewhere and thought I'd try again- I had been out of the hobby for 6 years or so and my RPG skills were rusty first time around- and was hooked, the story beats and dungeon design in the fifth stratum really struck a chord too. I ordered the next one immediately and was so pleased to finish it, it felt like I'd really learned how to play EO at that point. A decade later and I've finished most of them (not the Untold remakes yet) , also EO Mystery Dungeon. It even got me into SMT through Strange Journey, the original of which I just couldn't beat the final boss of.

All in all it's now one of my favourite series, the gentle music, the skits where brave adventurers are rewarded or chided for bold actions. Just magical.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
EO4 is the best place to start IMO. It's the easiest and the overworld feature is really fun.

I think I agree with that.
I quite liked the side quests (Sailing, Flying & Sub dungeons) of EO3 and 4, it broke up the game nicely giving it some variety, which EO5 doesn't have. Though I think EO5 has a better dungeon design across the board, 1st stratum is quite complex when compared with the rest of the series 1st stratums & the 5th stratum had a nice gimmick. Whereas I don't remember much about the dungeons in EO4 (overworld left a good impression though!). In retrospect I really enjoyed EO5 despite seeming like a step backwards to me initially. 3 will always be my fav though <3
I think each of the games have their charms, and worth going with.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
I only have a part time job currently and I was disappointed about not being able to afford this, but I remember I have a bunch of preorders at gamestop so I just cancelled a few and they will cover it

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Best Buy will get it to me on Wednesday despite me preordering it 6 months ago.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017

There are 62 total maps, the game is long.

There are 10 normal battle themes, 7 FOE themes, 11 boss themes (though one of the FOE tracks is End of Raging Winds and one of the boss tracks is End of Raging Waves), several dungeon themes from previous games as well.

Hero/Gunner is a good class combo overall for dishing out damage or defense (depending on your Hero setup). Sovereign is a good subclass in general (I used it for both a Medic and Harbinger). Zodiac/Imperial isn't as good for the toughest boss challenges, but a great class for wiping out standard mobs. I also had a Protector/Highlander and Survivalist/Landsknecht.

Since you've finished the game can I ask some questions and spoiler if you need to.

Since the game has reused labyrinths from older games does the game also have those same towns?

Are there new beasts and bosses?

How is the side content like side quests? Is there town development like in EOU2?

And while the story ain't a big focus is it unique enough to keep going?

Also I saw some video of the over world but sad to see that's it's not like the one in EO4.

ijed

Mar 2, 2018
Charged the 3DS last night and just picked it up from JB this morning :D

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I have my copy coming tomorrow. I bough day 1 because I knew this would have a low print run, especially in Europe.

Still need to beat EO5 before I can bring myself to play this.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just restarted EO5 a couple weeks ago so I'm going to finish that (but no post-game) before picking this up, but I'm excited. I've only played 1, 4, and 5 so some of the reused content will feel new to me. Plus I'm a big fan of the dual-classing in 4 and am pleased to see it return.