• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I love these games but I've moved on from 3ds. I hope there's a way to continue the series on Switch.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they would stop drawing a vast majority of the women so they look like children. The men have so much variety

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
I'm really glad this got localized; I was afraid it wouldn't be. It's going to be a long while before I play it though, unless I change my mind about playing through all the others first.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Sadly, I think I will pass on this one, but glad to see Atlus make the effort all the same. Kinda burnt on the series. Hope we see some newness in the series going forward.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Game.co.uk still have copies if any UK players are looking for one. I've got a feeling this and Persona Q2 are going to be hard to find for a reasonable price a few weeks after launch here, same happened for Radiant Historia PC and Strange Journey R too. It's unlikely they'll reprint it either (which is what happened with 7th Dragon and SMTIV:A).

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
yoooo, just got mine in the post, suspect this EU release is going to be very hard to find in a few months time.

Ghostbiscuit

Jan 11, 2019
Already showing as sold out on Amazon UK and ShopTo for me. Very glad I decided to jump on a copy sooner rather than later.
Game.co.uk still have copies if any UK players are looking for one.
I grabbed one from The Game Collection last night, still seems to be in stock this morning - a fiver cheaper than Game too: https://www.thegamecollection.net/etrian-odyssey-nexus-3ds/?sqr=etrian&

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I grabbed one from The Game Collection last night, still seems to be in stock this morning - a fiver cheaper than Game too: https://www.thegamecollection.net/etrian-odyssey-nexus-3ds/?sqr=etrian&
Good find! I would have done that had I known.

Game is my last resort, I dislike the way they don't let you easily cancel pre-orders the way other sites do and require an email conversation with customer services to do so. They tend to take the money early too, rather than pay-on-dispatch. I usually only order with Game on release day, and only if Shopto, Amazon etc are sold out, just for that.

Panicked a bit with this one- Amazon were showing a Feb 17 delivery (rather than Feb 5) for months and I suspected a falling out with Deep Silver/Koch that would end up with Amazon late-shipping copies from mainland EU or something. As such, I ordered elsewhere.

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question for those more familiar with the series than I am, I know there were remakes of 1 and 2 to bring them more in line with 4 but I'm just wondering why there was no such remake of 3?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Quick question for those more familiar with the series than I am, I know there were remakes of 1 and 2 to bring them more in line with 4 but I'm just wondering why there was no such remake of 3?
I suspect they ran out of time. There's only so many EO games they can make in the lifespan of the 3DS, and by the time they have made EOIV, EOU1, EOU2, EOV (plus PQ1, PQ2), they probably thought it was best to save it for later. I suspect it's in line for a remake at some point depending on the future of the series- if the next mainline game gains a boost in popularity on the Switch (not that platform(s) have been confirmed or anything), EOIII Untold could be a good stopgap after that. It's got a good story and the sailing, as a change of pace from dungeon crawls, is a lovely puzzle on its own.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I suspect they ran out of time. There's only so many EO games they can make in the lifespan of the 3DS, and by the time they have made EOIV, EOU1, EOU2, EOV (plus PQ1, PQ2), they probably thought it was best to save it for later. I suspect it's in line for a remake at some point depending on the future of the series- if the next mainline game gains a boost in popularity on the Switch (not that platform(s) have been confirmed or anything), EOIII Untold could be a good stopgap after that. It's got a good story and the sailing, as a change of pace from dungeon crawls, is a lovely puzzle on its own.
Also arguably because the stories started going downhill after 1. 1 had a very strong plot, 2's was... okay, 3's is nothing special.

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly disagree. 1 >>>>>>>>>>>> 2 > 3. 1 had a brilliant plot twist I never saw coming, and was neck deep in atmosphere, with several great moments along the way.

I love the plot twist, like everyone does, but that isn't enough for me, while 3 constantly has a good story going for it. I did the 3 paths and then the true final boss and I've never been as invested in the story/world of these games as in that one, it sure helps that it's the best game in the series as well.

It sucks how the Untold story mode just ruins the twist it but let's not talk about those awful "story" modes anyways haha.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I love the plot twist, like everyone does, but that isn't enough for me, while 3 constantly has a good story going for it. I did the 3 paths and then the true final boss and I've never been as invested in the story/world of these games as in that one, it sure helps that it's the best game in the series as well.

It sucks how the Untold story mode just ruins the twist it but let's not talk about those awful "story" modes anyways haha.
I really wasn't into 3 at all, and the path nonsense really put me off. It felt like unnecessary padding, and actively punishing the player for picking one route over another.

1 also had the Rising Again moment with Ren and Tchlatga, the only reason I want to play Untold, because I'm curious if they nailed it.
(2 tried to mimic it, to mixed results.)

Oct 25, 2017
I really wasn't into 3 at all, and the path nonsense really put me off. It felt like unnecessary padding, and actively punishing the player for picking one route over another.

I was worried about that but then you see that you can finish these games with your overpowered party in like a couple of hours max, it was actually pretty cathartic to do so(you also get a lot of exp, good items, and get ready for the post-game which also has the best true final boss as well). I love the final boss of each of the routes, so rewarding and also you get to hear the best final boss song of the whole series.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
So is it confirmed that all early European copies of the game come with the art book at least? I see it mentioned at 365games, but The Game Collection says nothing about it.

Oct 28, 2017
Seems I opened up a can of worms here, thanks for the responses anyway, just means that 3 would be one that I'd have to import since the DS versions never came to EU.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So is it confirmed that all early European copies of the game come with the art book at least? I see it mentioned at 365games, but The Game Collection says nothing about it.
Yes, but it's one of those ones that's the size as a manual, on the same thin glossy paper, that fits inside the case. It's not the same as the nice artbook that launch NA copies get.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Has anyone started it yet, any initial impressions or thoughts on party synergy/skill trees?

I'm had great success with chase/link setups in the past.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just to expand on it, I really want to use the hero class, and am wondering which units they gel well with.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Game is available on Best Buy (in store pickup only).

It was unavailable yesterday when I was trying to pre-order, in case anyone else ran into the same

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
first time pre ordering from amazon us to peru. i really wanted a physical copy for this game.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
My Amazon UK copy is literally not coming. The date went from today to 27th Feb-27th March. So I'm gonna go shout at someone.

Also I'm glad to see Deep Silver lied again and we got a shittier version than the NA release. I'm kinda done with them and want them to stop lying in their PR.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
My Amazon UK copy is literally not coming. The date went from today to 27th Feb-27th March. So I'm gonna go shout at someone.

Also I'm glad to see Deep Silver lied again and we got a shittier version than the NA release. I'm kinda done with them and want them to stop lying in their PR.
That was what it was up until a few days ago, I'd be careful with them as they may not have a distribution deal for UK copies and might only get EU ones instead. See if you can order elsewhere then cancel?

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
just checked the DLC and the class portraits from EO1-5 plus some extra new adventurers & one by the Project RE Fantasy character designer all free. you can pay for some "bikini armor" if you want though lol.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize the EO3 shopkeeper was returning, that's great, she's a scumbag.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
That was what it was up until a few days ago, I'd be careful with them as they may not have a distribution deal for UK copies and might only get EU ones instead. See if you can order elsewhere then cancel?
Literally everywhere else in the UK hasn't got it in stock. So I'm actually stuck.

Edit after more searching: Gamescollection and Base (though this is launching Feb 17th) have it

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I've been playing this for review for a bit more than a week, but haven't gotten far enough yet to write it. It's my first real Etrian game (played PQ before) and thankfully things are going well so far. I think the strongest element is definitely the exploration of the dungeons. I just love drawing the maps and figuring out routes to explore. I do think a lot of gameplay elements are stronger in PQ, but I want to see how things develop first.

My party happens to consist of characters people earlier in the thread called good:
Hero-Harbinger-Nightseeker
Gunner-Sovereign

It works, but sometimes I feel like I'm lacking in damage a little bit. One of my issues with the game is that I can't really switch my party up. I equipped the exp share ring early on and made a couple of extra characters, but they're lagging behind big time in terms of levels. Doesn't seem like you can truly switch characters around unless you're willing to put up with heavy compromises.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Amazon UK was kinda useless, all they noted is I'm not the first one to complain about this order.

Anyway I ordered from thegamescollection and just gonna hope they dispatch it. Still very annoyed at Amazon. Also annoyed at Deep Silver for skimping the release once again, and ruining the boxart by shoving a "ART BOOK INSIDE" on the cover. I just wanted the Vivian pin. I just want some dumb merch with my video games.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno if anyone's waiting on the digital version but it's upright now on the eshop in the UK at least. Downloading right now, exciting.

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017
US eShop update time letting me down here, so I just ordered a copy for pick up from Best Buy. Guess I'll grab this during lunch then.