• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
xdz1hDb.png

M3LhRx5.png

Release dates:
  • NA and EU: 5 February 2019
  • JP: 2 August 2018
Developer and publisher: Atlus
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Prices:
  • NA: $39.99
  • EU: £34.99
  • JP: ¥6,998
  • Preordering in NA gets you a Launch Edition which includes a character pin, an art book, and a collector's box. Same price as the standard edition.
DLC:
  • Every class portrait in the series history is available as DLC, plus some bonus portraits taken from box arts. Link to a huge image showing every portrait.
  • The class portrait DLC is free for a short while after launch.
  • Here's the full DLC spec:
    - Inventor's Experience (triple EXP accesory)
    - Inventor's Fortune (100% material drop rate accessory)
    - EO 1&2 Portraits
    - EO 3 Portraits
    - EO 4 Portraitsa
    - EO 5 Portraits
    - New Adventurers (10th anniversary portraits)
    - PROJECT Re FANTASY (portraits from said games artist)
    - Hero Class Bikini Armor (toggle option)

jk9eSol.png

• The latest game in the Etrian Odyssey series, dungeon crawling RPGs known for letting you draw your own map (trust me, it's fun!)
  • Nexux is a celebration of the series history, featuring new and returning content.
  • 18 returning classes and 1 new class: Hero!
  • Subclassing and the Force Boost/Break system return from previous games!
  • New and returning NPCs, monsters, and dungeon themes.
  • All new floor layouts. The most floors of any game in the series!
6tKa4tq.jpg
USCBAAV.jpg
mGoFCei.jpg
9skh71g.png

• The classes in the game are Hero, Protector, Survivalist, Medic, Ronin, War Magus, Gunner, Zodiac, Farmer, Ninja, Sovereign Shogun, Nightseeker, Landsknecht, Arcanist, Imperial, Highlander, Harbinger, Pugilist. Here's an image (apologies for Japanese):
ignAja4.png

LPJCcr2.png

IwzGGQh.png

TD4MrDS.png

• Q: I've never played an Etrian Odyssey game before, is this a good place to start?
    • A: Kind of. Etrian Odyssey games are very gameplay focused, so you're not going to be missing much storywise. That said, Nexus is meant to be a celebration of the series's history, so it contains a lot of references to past games. My personal reccomendation for newcomers is the previous game, Etrian Odyssey V (and that has a demo on the eShop with progress transfer!).
  • Q: Does Nexus have a demo?
    • A: No.
  • Q: I've heard Etrian Odyssey games are difficult. Should I be worried?
    • A: There are a variety of difficulty settings available, so difficulty shouldn't be a concern. Also, it's a very player friendly-game: checkpoints are frequent and the punishment for failure is never harsh. You can take the game at your own pace!
  • Q: Is there voice acting?
    • A: Every version of Etrian Odyssey Nexus has Japanese voice acting only.
  • Q: Can you change your characters' skin, hair, and eye colors?
    • A: You can for all portraits in the the base game. You cannot for the DLC portraits, except for the ones from Etrian Odyssey V.

Last edited:

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Great OT!

Sadly, even though I am a die-hard fan of the series and I heard overall good things about it, too many games came out in January and I am a little burn out in the series, so I think I will pass on this one. Hope everyone else enjoys it.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Got my gaming schedule cleared off and I've been poking around at the skill simulator for weeks looking for an interesting setup to try. Now I just need the actual game and I'll be set for lot of sweet labyrinth mapping goodness for weeks or months to come.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Ill be picking this up but have no idea when I'll eventually get to it. I imagine this one will be more difficult to find down the line as it is a late-life game for the 3DS.

Currently doing a massive reply of the Kingdom Hearts franchise before I start 3.

almostheathen

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in when it arrives tomorrow, digital heroin until I complete it. I will probably spend the first few hours just deciding on my main team.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I can't buy this on bestbuy.com right now. Is it sold out or will it open back up once they get copies in tomorrow?

Secondly,
I have no idea what makes a good team in this game so I was just going to list out the classes I think look cool and get a suggestion on what a good party could be made out of it. Here's what I like:

Hero (definitely want this)
Ronin
War Magus
Highlander
Shogun
Ninja
Landsknecht
Nightseeker
Imperial
Pugilist (high on the list)

Out of these, could I make a good party? Alternatively, I probably would need a healer, so suggestions on 4 of these plus a healer, or 3 plus a healer and something else I'm missing would be greatly appreciated.

Secondary class recommendations also welcome!

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I skipped V, since I still hadn't finished EOIV, and it seems like I'll end up skipping this one for the same reason too, unfortunately (and now I have SMT:SJ on top of IV waiting to be finished too lol)
Game looks real good though...

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This really snuck up on me so I'm expecting to spend the entire first day making my party.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Watching this topic like a hawk.

Unfamiliar with this series despite played old DRPGs like Wizardry and Bard's Tale. I've recently picked up EO5, so this game is supposed to be a culmination of the entire series to this point, so just waiting to see how this fares compared to the rest of the series.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only EO I've put any significant time into was Untold 2, which I didn't end up finishing, but I'm still going to get this. The issue I always run into when I try starting an EO is I can never fill a team with characters that I actually like the looks of, so I figure I'll have an easier time here with so many classes available.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I can't buy this on bestbuy.com right now. Is it sold out or will it open back up once they get copies in tomorrow?

Secondly,
I have no idea what makes a good team in this game so I was just going to list out the classes I think look cool and get a suggestion on what a good party could be made out of it. Here's what I like:

Ronin
War Magus
Highlander
Shogun
Ninja
Landsknecht
Nightseeker
Imperial

Out of these, could I make a good party? Alternatively, I probably would need a healer, so suggestions on 4 of these plus a healer, or 3 plus a healer and something else I'm missing would be greatly appreciated.

Same. Can't order from Best Buy. Didn't realize there was a preorder bonus.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Only EO I've put any significant time into was Untold 2, which I didn't end up finishing, but I'm still going to get this. The issue I always run into when I try starting an EO is I can never fill a team with characters that I actually like the looks of, so I figure I'll have an easier time here with so many classes available.
It's worth adding that you can assign portraits of one class to characters of another class, and you can change your portraits later if you like. So combined with all the DLC portraits, the number of options for how your party can look is very large.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I might add, as someone who got introduced to the series through the remakes and loves them both, I thought getting Nexus instead of a full-on remake for III is a little disappointing. Especially because that might have been my only chance to play with all the awesome new classes from the third game (The DS one is too outdated for me).

I do hope they continue the series after this one, though I wish they would take more time between releases, it's crazy how many entries this got in the 3DS.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Subbed.

Since I got the game, I started now. Took me over an hour just to create a single character of each class. xD

And in true EO fashion I died within the first 4 battles. :A

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope they continue the series after this one, though I wish they would take more time between releases, it's crazy how many entries this got in the 3DS.
The good news is that they've already confirmed the series will continue after the 3DS. But we don't know platform(s) it'll be for, how the mechanics will change, or any sort of details really.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I'm super excited for this, but it occurred to me I have a very long flight later this summer, over 8 hours in the air one way, so it would be smart to save it for then. I'm chomping at the bit to play it now, but I know it's wiser to have something awesome to look forward for the trip than play it right now (especially with so many other great games on my plate right now).

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My personal reccomendation for newcomers is the previous game, Etrian Odyssey V

Oh no, I wouldn't. Etrian Odyssey V is not beginner friendly. It has two diffuculty options which in reality are Hard and Super Hard. If you choose the standard difficulty, the first enemy you encounter in the game can actually wipe out the whole party with a few hits.

The numbered entries are really, really hard if you're not used to dungeon crawler. Instead, why not recommend the Untold games? Both games are remaking the first two games released on the DS, do feature a story and have various difficulty options. And even recommending Nexus ist the far better choice, in my opinion, than EO V. But that's. of course, is just my personal taste. Because I'm one of those guys who enable auto mapping and a rather low difficulty ;P

Is there voice acting?
  • A: Every version has Japanese voice acting only.

Guess that's not completely true? Don't know exactly anmyore but the games which were dubbed were english only. Only the newest entry, this here, seems to be with a japanese dub like recently released Atlus games on the 3DS.

Received my copy last friday. Wasn't able to play it so far. But I will the next days. It's the european copy, comes with a small Artbook and not with the first shown Launch-Edition shown in the european trailer. Was most likely an error by Derp Silver.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to pick this up but then found out that it had no ENG dub. I guess I'll just wait a year or so for it to go on sale. Unfortunately, there aren't even subtitles for the battle quips, so I don't even expect Persona Q2 to do this either (which I am also skipping due to the lack of ENG dub).

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Secondly,

Ronin
War Magus
Highlander
Shogun
Ninja
Landsknecht
Nightseeker
Imperial

I would say don't worry about picking the perfect first team immediately. Pick something that looks good to you to start with, and then be open to adjusting it as you go through the game. That said, here are a few things to keep in mind when picking a team:

- At least one healer is a good idea. Of the classes you listed, War Magus is actually a healer, so that might work. Hero can also do some healing.
- I would recommend at least one "tank", a character that specializes in defense. Otherwise bosses are going to wipe you out way too fast. Of the classes you listed, Ninja can kind of be a dodge-based tank, though that's a bit hard to pull off. Hero can also do some defending.
- I recommend at least one character that can use elemental attacks (fire, ice, electricity). Of the classes you listed, Landsknecht can do this.
- Keep in mind you can only put 2-3 characters on the front line, and 2-3 characters on the back line. A lot of the classes you listed are front line fighters, so be sure to pick a ranged fighter as well.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Secondly,

Ronin
War Magus
Highlander
Shogun
Ninja
Landsknecht
Nightseeker
Imperial

Should be fine. A classic setup for EO would include a tank, a class that specializes either in binds or in status effects, one member for physical attacks, one member for magical attacks, and a healer. But there's plenty of other ways to mix things up. You also want to look for ways to synergize your party. For example, if you use a class with "Link" or "Chase" skills (additional damage dealt after other party members' attacks), you'll want to also include members of classes that can get these to trigger as many times as possible.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Been waiting for this. Hero looks pretty busted on paper, curious to see how that translates to actual gameplay.

Nice to see such a huge range of jobs from older EO titles. My only quibble is I'd rather have the og alchemist over zodiac.

Edit: been playing too much FF14...

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place you can see all of the artwork choices you can make for every class? The official website only has one image for each class...

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Imperials return in glory.

Does the portrait DLC include the EO4 recruitable NPC portraits?

I love Kibagami's in particular:
latest

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place you can see all of the artwork choices you can make for every class? The official website only has one image for each class...
You can see them on the Japanese website! http://sq-atlus.jp/sqx/job/sqx/

Also here's a picture showing every potrait in the game, including DLC: https://www.atlus.co.jp/documents/post-media/b2_poster.jpg

Also keep in mind you can assign any portrait to any class, and you can change a character's portrait at any time.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for this. Hero looks pretty busted on paper, curious to see how that translates to actual gameplay.
I've been playing the Japanese version, and yeah, Hero is super fun. I haven't unlocked subclasses yet, but when I do... yeah, my Hero is going to be crazy.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They've all had dubs up until this point. OP was referencing the fact that no version of Nexus has English dubbing.

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
A few days ago I remembered this game was coming out and found out that no retailer in my country is getting it :(

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, got to the part where I got the first main quest. Since I didn't want to use the regular Protector/Medic I decided to try something different:

Hero, Pugilist (Front)
Harbinger, Sovereign, Arcanist (Back)

Once Sovereign gets more of the healing skills healing shouldn't be much of a problem. Tanking though...
But well, it works, let's see how it works once I start to fight the first FOEs and bosses.

And I am playing on Heroic. I like pain.

omlet

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT. I've added the link to the CT links section in case someone ever looks for it there.

I've got my copy preordered but I won't be getting to it immediately due to some other dungeon crawler backlog in progress... but should be soon, I hope!

Have had a few looks at the skill sim but not completely decided on my team yet. The only for-sure is that I'm gonna have a Nightseeker. No necro makes me sad.

Also gonna plug our EO Discord server one more time here. If anyone would like an invite shoot me a PM!

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
And here I am still stuck on the EO5 fourth stratum boss... I better get back to that quickly so I can move on to Nexus. I really want to see all my old guild members team up for a big adventure together.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the best classes in this game are:
  • Hero
  • Nightseeker
  • Sovereign
  • Gunner
  • Harbinger
If you have one or more of these in your party, you should be set.

Also, dual-element gun and drive attacks are now weaker than the single-element versions. Dual-element ones still deal more damage if you strike a weakness, but they're not superior in every way anymore.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Such a great franchise, but I haven't opened my 3DS in years (since EOIV!) and don't know if I'd be able to handle the tiny screen of my OG 3DS and have to update all the firmware just to play this despite it looking great. I'd like to play Etrian Mystery Dungeon at some point, too.

At some point I hope they repackage a bunch for a future console or PC or something, I replayed EOIII in particular a ton.

Also, unrelated to this but wasn't there some similar dungeon-crawling game announced in the early days of the 3DS that was similar in nature to EO? I remember it had a girl as the protagonist. I wonder if that ever made it out of Japan (or was released at all).

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
Such a great franchise, but I haven't opened my 3DS in years (since EOIV!) and don't know if I'd be able to handle the tiny screen of my OG 3DS and have to update all the firmware just to play this despite it looking great. I'd like to play Etrian Mystery Dungeon at some point, too.

At some point I hope they repackage a bunch for a future console or PC or something, I replayed EOIII in particular a ton.

Also, unrelated to this but wasn't there some similar dungeon-crawling game announced in the early days of the 3DS that was similar in nature to EO? I remember it had a girl as the protagonist. I wonder if that ever made it out of Japan (or was released at all).

Probably Beyond the Labyrinth. It never made it out of Japan, which is a shame because it looked interesting at a time when there wasn't too much to play on the 3DS.

beyondlab22.jpg

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I still have 5 to play ugh!! I may buy anyways lol. I'm really confused about story/content. Is this a new story or are they literally using story beats from other games? Also, is it all new towns and dungeons or are those being reused? If it's mostly recycled content I may not buy it

Last edited: