• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing: front(DPS, Protector) backline(Mage, healer, sniper) in every game since 2 so I really wanna switch it up this time while still being viable, any suggestions?

Try to create a crazy party that can heal without a dedicated healer. I remember doing that in my eou1 run and it was super fun

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
ehR3Xyd.png

Here's my current guild card. They're region locked again so US copies won't work with EU copies.

Hero (defensive/elements)
n5okdTa.png

Nightseeker (Blade Flurry is a waste of skillpoints until Master rank)
R1IqS6m.png

Sovereign (top tier at all stages of the game)
V6oTyL9.png

Gunner (binds and charge shots/eventually elements)
CpjDjmX.png

Arcanist (all purpose lockdown and healing)
zcQHrsO.png
Nice card! Shame to hear they're region locked again.

Would you mind submitting your card to this form? It'll get added to this sheet. I'd like to collect guild cards in a sheet so that people don't need to look through the whole thread in order to find each other's cards.

Everyone else should feel free to submit their cards too!

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
God the first boss had a ton of HP. I completely exhausted my party going up against him and he still had like 20% left. I still managed to beat him pretty much just by lucking out on which attacks were used.

Feels like the game really expects you to grind for those forged up weapons, rather than that just being a nice bonus most of the time like in previous games.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. I just made it to 2F. It feels bittersweet to finish mapping the first floor for what could be the last time.

I'm a little down on the idea of every class being back in more or less the same form instead of having new and crazy combinations of guys. I guess they've done more or less everything though and I don't mind a greatest hits given my extensive history with the series. How is the Dancer not here when everyone else is?!

My first save was at 2 hours because I spent that much time dissecting every single skill tree and weighing them against each other. I ended up going with Hero/Pugilist/Shogun/Gunner/War Magus. I don't think I like it very much because I feel like I have too many guys that can bind and not seeing a lot of synergy with that so far, but it's way early. I think I'm just paralyzed by having so many options. I'm also a little hesitant because I've got 3 front row guys with a Hero that might make better use of the front row.

I made one of each class so that I could share exp with everyone in case I want to switch. I think I'm bound to my Hero and my War Magus, and maybe my Gunner, but not really any of the others so far. Pugilist dies so easily and I had one in 5 (that I liked a lot by the endgame). Shogun seems fine, but I think I'm partial to my Hero when it comes to front row damage.

If anyone has any recommendations of things to link with Hero/War Magus/Gunner, I'd be interested to hear.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I have been feeling the itch to play another one of these games. I played EOIV and EOU already. I have been considering EOV and EON. I would also consider EOU2, I suppose. What do ya'll think. Is Nexus as good or better than the other two options?

Which one should I play next?

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first floor. That was exhausting! Didn't help that I mis-marked my map at one point and got lost.

Boss was actually maybe the easiest part of the floor - other than being a damage sponge. I had more trouble with some of the randoms. I think my team is just much better set up for single-target fights right now.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
ehR3Xyd.png

Here's my current guild card. They're region locked again so US copies won't work with EU copies.

Hero (defensive/elements)
n5okdTa.png

Nightseeker (Blade Flurry is a waste of skillpoints until Master rank)
R1IqS6m.png

Sovereign (top tier at all stages of the game)
V6oTyL9.png

Gunner (binds and charge shots/eventually elements)
CpjDjmX.png

Arcanist (all purpose lockdown and healing)
zcQHrsO.png

The hero art looks great 😃 Still waiting for my copy despite not having completed the previous games. Need to support niche games like this. Probably will start once I'm done with Kingdom hearts games and Resident Evil 2.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My copy doesn't arrive until tomorrow -- is all the DLC available yet? I know at least some of the guest portraits are (permanently?) absent.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Currently thinking
Hero, protector
Survivalist, medic, sovereign.

later on I'll probably sub the medic and sovereign into mage and gunner respectively to ramp up the elemental damage, not too sure about the others.

Maybe I've got too much healing and could swap out the medic for a war magus or something?

I'll definitely make a spare one of each unused class to sit in reserves for now.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
This one might be fun. Only played the first on lots of years ago. Liked the mapping feature.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Is the free Portrait DLC a permanent offer or will it be paid later? I definitely want to get this at some point but having to pay for the other portraits could be a deal breaker for me.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
It's free for a while, but it'll be paid later.

Thanks!

I searched for info about it and I'm fine with that, I had a brainfart and thought only the first portrait from each class would make it into the game, but it seems like the DLC is just to add the portraits from the other classes. As someone who doesn't like mixing classes with different portraits, this doesn't really affect me at all.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I have been feeling the itch to play another one of these games. I played EOIV and EOU already. I have been considering EOV and EON. I would also consider EOU2, I suppose. What do ya'll think. Is Nexus as good or better than the other two options?

Which one should I play next?

whichever is cheaper. V and u2 should be like $20 by now, unless you really really want to play nexus right now

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon UK emailed me on release day and told me expected delivery was 27th Feb which is code for 'never'. So I cancelled and quickly ordered from Game before they ran out of stock and it arrived today. Happily the EU release comes with an art book like EOV and I now have physical copies of all the EO games released in the West and I don't think this will have a very large print run here.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
ugh the game arrived home when i was on my way to work, i was super temped to go back and pick it up to play it on lunch haha. oh well, today will be a long long long day

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a really, really hard time trying to figure out a party composition I want. The first big issue is that I'd like a Hero, but that kind of wants an open front spot and I like way too many front liners. I might forego a Hero to get 3 front liners I like, but I don't care too much for a protector so I don't know where I'll get tanking from?

Can someone help me build a team from this?

Front liners I like (in order): Hero, Pugilist, Nightseeker, Highlander, Landy, Imperial, Shogun, Ronin

I'm fine filling out my team with anything (other than probably Medic and Farmer), in particular Sovereign might be cool

I feel like if I choose Hero, I can probably only pick one of those other front liners, but if I don't use a hero, can I use 3 of the others? Or would I need a protector/some kind of tank in there?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a really, really hard time trying to figure out a party composition I want. The first big issue is that I'd like a Hero, but that kind of wants an open front spot and I like way too many front liners. I might forego a Hero to get 3 front liners I like, but I don't care too much for a protector so I don't know where I'll get tanking from?

Front liners I like (in order): Hero, Pugilist, Nightseeker, Highlander, Landy, Imperial, Shogun, Ronin

I'm fine filling out my team with anything (other than probably Medic and Farmer), in particular Sovereign might be cool

I feel like if I choose Hero, I can probably only pick one of those other front liners, but if I don't use a hero, can I use 3 of the others? Or would I need a protector/some kind of tank in there?

do you need a tank if you can buff your party? alternatively hero can also mitigate some damage, later in the game you can even sub it as a protector

what im thinking for my party is:
Front line: defensive&healing built Hero / Imperial / empty slot for hero after image (hero still needs to attack to use their healing passive so they go in front)
Back line: Survavilist / Highlander / Arcanist

With the heals from the hero and arcanist I should be able to sustain some highlander drains. Imperial will focus magic damage later in the game, survavilist and arcanist can help with binds, but survavilist should be a source of damage most of the time. Survavilist can also use the Efficiency skill to help with healing when needed.

Edit:
another idea is something similar to what i did in EOU1: i used ronnin in front, in the middle of the row for their heal which had a weird scale, started high but didnt grow too much, a landscknecht and a Dark Hunter in the front with a alchemist and troubador in the backline, so early in the game it was items and ronin's breath for healing but later the troubador took over the job. buffs to party def and debuffs/binds to enemy attacks were used to lower the enemy damage output

Last edited:

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017

I'm rolling without a tank so far (on Heroic) and haven't felt like I needed one yet, but I'm only through the first floor. You definitely want the open slot in the front if you want to use a Hero, though, the afterimages aren't as useful in the back row.

I'm using Hero/Landshark in the front, and Gunner/Sovereign/Arcanist in back. Between the Arcanist, Sovereign and Hero, my team has so much passive healing that I haven't been missing a tank thus far.

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
I downloaded all the free DLC portraits last night and took like 2 more hours perfecting my party. Still don't have a good Imperial look to go with the manic Okamoto voice but I'm working on it.

Currently running Hero, Imperial, Gunner, Sovereign, Arcanist. Most trouble I'm having is how to deal with status ailments (poison really hurts).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm wondering whether, rather than start with a medic, I should start without and add via subclass if I need it later? So many more interesting classes to choose from.

Gylgamesh

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded all the free DLC portraits last night and took like 2 more hours perfecting my party. Still don't have a good Imperial look to go with the manic Okamoto voice but I'm working on it.

Currently running Hero, Imperial, Gunner, Sovereign, Arcanist. Most trouble I'm having is how to deal with status ailments (poison really hurts).

Gunner's Medic Bullet heals ailments! It's not the most efficient way to deal with poison, but it works in a pinch.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering whether, rather than start with a medic, I should start without and add via subclass if I need it later? So many more interesting classes to choose from.

if you played other EO games with a dedicated medic always in your party, then i would recommend playing without one here, its such a difference experience.
Ronin breath was pretty good early game and later you could use a soverign/arcanist for most of your healing

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
Gunner's Medic Bullet heals ailments! It's not the most efficient way to deal with poison, but it works in a pinch.

Woahhhhhhh! I somehow didn't notice that. Most the time I'm using it to top off my Sovereign to keep his full HP passive heals going, or if someone in the frontline takes a spicy hit! Thank you for the tip~

Now I'm not too sure how I feel about Imperial. I don't quite understand their overheat mechanic and I may revert to something I'm more used to like Landsknecht.

I'm still clearing the first floor and am beating the boss now (he takes a long time and my subway ride wasn't long enough) but I've been doing surprisingly well without a Medic and relying on Gunner's heal bullet and some passive heals through my Sovereign and his upgraded buffs.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
The number of classes that have some sort of healing capability early on is large. Hero's "Encourage", Protector's "Healing Wall", Survivalist's "Resuscitate" (in the field), Ronin's "Breath", War Magus' various heals, Highlander's "Turning Tide", Gunner's "Medic Bullet", Sovereign's "Reinforce", Arcanist's "Circle Boon" and "Dismiss Heal", and so on. Cover other lesser-used medic abilities with items, and you should absolutely be able to get by without one until you can subclass one in later (if necessary).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
if you played other EO games with a dedicated medic always in your party, then i would recommend playing without one here, its such a difference experience.
Ronin breath was pretty good early game and later you could use a soverign/arcanist for most of your healing
Thanks, yeah, I'll do that. Time to stop leaning on dedicated healers so much and try something more interesting.

tuffy perfect, just what I needed to hear!

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
First party is currently: Hero, Princess, Highlander, Medic and Gunner.

Gonna see if I can pull off what I did in EO5: Tankless party while exploring, have a tank in reserve for bosses/FOEs if need be. Feels odd not having a mage in my current party since I usually have one. Was able to rather easily beat the first floor boss with the current set up though I'm very heavily considering replacing my Medic with a War Magus, who I have in reserve in case. And though I beat the boss I don't feel like my group complimented each other very well despite the win, but it still early.

I feel paralyzed by choice.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm hovering around a couple potential team compositions:

Hero, Pugilist (Or Nightseeker)
Sovereign, Arcanist, ???

or

Land, Pugilist, Nightseeker
Sovereign, Arcanist

Would either of these work out well? Any suggestion for the final character if I go with the first option?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
wait, imperials dont have that skills at each tier that pasivley reduces the cooldown by 1? so they will always have to deal with 8 turns of cooldown (minus cool edge/heatsink uses)

edit: wait no, they have the Intercooler passive for that

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I still have not started the game yet as I can't figure out a party especially if I'm considering what subclass everyone will be. I know it's brand new, but anyone with a viable strong build I would appreciate any advice. I guess I don't HAVE to have a medic if some other class can fill that role.

I mean. This isn't a game where I can just go with what sounds cool and I'll be perfectly fine the whole game right?

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I still ha e not started the game yet as I can't figure out a party especially if I'm considering what subclass everyone will be. I know it's brand new but anyone with a viable strong build I would appreciate any advice. I guess I don't HAVE to have a medic if some other class can fill that role.

I mean. This isn't a game where I can just go with what sounds cool and I'll be perfectly fine the whole game right?
They've actually been doing a good job balancing out classes to the point where any sane collection of party members should be enough to get you through to the story credits, at least. So don't feel too stressed-out about needing to pick everybody exactly right on the first try.

I like to have a few different situations in mind:
  • What am I going to do for healing?
  • What am I going to do for physical damage?
  • What am I going to do for elemental damage?
  • What's my strategy against encounters with lots of enemies?
  • What's my strategy against single meaty targets like bosses?
For this game, I'm going with an Arcanist and Sovereign to cover most of my healing, along with Arcanist's circles to cover encounters with lots of enemies. Sovereign's buffs can provide a source of elemental damage. I've got an Imperial to go after meaty boss targets with elemental damage (eventually, once the elemental drives unlock). I've got a Highlander to provide physical damage both for wide-area and single targets. And I've rounded things out with a Pugilist who can shut down enemy attacks in lieu of having a tank type of some sort.

This setup might need to be shuffled around long-term or I may have to rest some characters in order to reassign their skills better, but that's all part of the fun. Go with what seems interesting and don't be afraid to experiment a little along the way.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a medic in my party and he's definitely my weakest link. I feel like a lot of time I have him sit and do nothing. He's got some useful skills to lower enemy defense, but they're not cheap in TP so I don't like to always use them.

I'm definitely going to reevaluate my party composition once I unlock subclassing.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
They've actually been doing a good job balancing out classes to the point where any sane collection of party members should be enough to get you through to the story credits, at least. So don't feel too stressed-out about needing to pick everybody exactly right on the first try.

I like to have a few different situations in mind:
  • What am I going to do for healing?
  • What am I going to do for physical damage?
  • What am I going to do for elemental damage?
  • What's my strategy against encounters with lots of enemies?
  • What's my strategy against single meaty targets like bosses?
For this game, I'm going with an Arcanist and Sovereign to cover most of my healing, along with Arcanist's circles to cover encounters with lots of enemies. Sovereign's buffs can provide a source of elemental damage. I've got an Imperial to go after meaty boss targets with elemental damage (eventually, once the elemental drives unlock). I've got a Highlander to provide physical damage both for wide-area and single targets. And I've rounded things out with a Pugilist who can shut down enemy attacks in lieu of having a tank type of some sort.

This setup might need to be shuffled around long-term or I may have to rest some characters in order to reassign their skills better, but that's all part of the fun. Go with what seems interesting and don't be afraid to experiment a little along the way.

Wow thanks for the detailed info. I will boot it up now and just try out your picks they all sound good to me !

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
So far my passive healing is working. Hero heals when she uses skills, Sovereign heals when he's at full health, and the Gunner can heal the front line if he defends. Gonna stick with this and subclass someone into a Medic later.

I'm using Automap (blasphemy, I know) but it doesn't fill in doors. I'm okay with manually marking treasure, events, and the like, but auto-doors would have been a nice thing. Still speeds up my exploration a lot, though.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Are their any classes that have TP restoring abilities that can be used outside of battles? I was brainstorming the idea of having some characters in my guild whos role would be to manually heal up my active party back at town so I don't need to use the inn every time, but I dunno if any class can restore TP easily. Even if I make it so I only need to sleep like 50% of the time that is quite a bit of money saved on heroic.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a medic in my party and he's definitely my weakest link. I feel like a lot of time I have him sit and do nothing. He's got some useful skills to lower enemy defense, but they're not cheap in TP so I don't like to always use them.

I'm definitely going to reevaluate my party composition once I unlock subclassing.
I've always had that issue with such a dedicated healer like a medic is early game at least it feels like they stand around doing a lot of nothing except sometimes using a bash skill.

I kinda miss Shaman from EO5.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Asked this earlier but would love some impressions on the following:

How's the world map? I loved the world map of EO4.

How are the npcs? And are there multiple towns to visit?

Do the dungeons feel recycled?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Okay! I've settled on:

Land, Pugilist, Nightseeker
Sovereign, Gunner

I'm a little nervous I won't have enough healing, I was originally gonna go Arcanist instead of Gunner but it seems Arcanist will be overkill with Pug/Night...

Anyone see any problems with this team, and also, suggestions on early skills to aim for to be most efficient?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sovereign seems really popular as support class. Felt like my 'party leader' in EOIII.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little nervous I won't have enough healing, I was originally gonna go Arcanist instead of Gunner but it seems Arcanist will be overkill with Pug/Night...

Anyone see any problems with this team, and also, suggestions on early skills to aim for to be most efficient?
It should be just fine. You'll mostly want to be using your Gunner for shooting enemies, but a point in Medic Bullet to start with will help for some spot healing. Your main healing is liable to be from the Sovereign's Reinforce and Negotiation skills (augmented with Royal Veil and Monarch March when you can spare the points). The idea is to buff a row (perhaps with Attack/Guard order) for some line healing with Reinforce, then clear out a buff with Negotiation as needed for some individual healing. You'll get other healing options down the line, but tacking on healing to all the buffing your Sovereign's doing should be enough in the short term.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm rolling with:
- Hero / Protector
- Medic / Gunner / Arcanist

It's a pretty vanilla team, but I like them. Hero is going to be a beast in the late game with the mirage/double skill.

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
I fell in love with Sovereign back in EO3 (I have a little Princess figurine on my desk) and am glad to see them back! So helpful.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rolling with:
Pugilist / Hero
Medic / Nightseeker / Zodiac

Pretty boring party overall. I liked the Pugilist in EO5 for being able to fairly consistently deal binds. The Hero is proving a good all-rounder. Nightseeker is on ailments duty and Zodiac is there for elemental damage.

Pain points so far: the Zodiac skills burn TP like crazy early on, and the Pugilist really isn't pulling his weight damage output-wise. I wouldn't have survived the first boss without the binds abilities, though, and that's really the reason I put him in the mix.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Running:
Hero/Nightseeker
Sovereign/Arcanist/Gunner
On Heroic. Solid team so far. Easy healing that happens on its own while I focus on other things, solid damage so far, and plenty of ailments and binds if I choose.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Running:
Hero/Nightseeker
Sovereign/Arcanist/Gunner
On Heroic. Solid team so far. Easy healing that happens on its own while I focus on other things, solid damage so far, and plenty of ailments and binds if I choose.

That's the exact same party setup I'm using too.

Any particularly skill trees you're prioritising for each member? I'm wondering if I should ignore binds on my gunner if my Arcanist is fulfilling that role with circles.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
got to the 2nd labyrinth. I'm crying

I'm rocking
Hero/Protector/Pugilist
War Magus/Harbinger

Afterimage Hero in the backline sux tho

omlet

Oct 25, 2017
That's the exact same party setup I'm using too.

Any particularly skill trees you're prioritising for each member? I'm wondering if I should ignore binds on my gunner if my Arcanist is fulfilling that role with circles.
I'm planning to go binds on my gunner anyway (probably?) because at max skill they have almost twice as much base success chance on their shots compared to circles (60% vs 35%). So even with skill 10 ailment passive and force break I think the arcanist still doesn't reach the success rates that gunner has. Circles are good and they hit the whole field but if you want to really bind a boss or something the gunner will be more reliable especially if you sub them something with bind success passive.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
I'm planning to go binds on my gunner anyway (probably?) because at max skill they have almost twice as much base success chance on their shots compared to circles (60% vs 35%). So even with skill 10 ailment passive and force break I think the arcanist still doesn't reach the success rates that gunner has. Circles are good and they hit the whole field but if you want to really bind a boss or something the gunner will be more reliable especially if you sub them something with bind success passive.

Thanks for the detailed response. :-) That definitely gives me something else to take into consideration. Decisions, decisions ;-)

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Shogun/Hero
warmagus/Sovereign/Arcanist

I'm basically just using classes i'm not familiar with at all. Shogun and Arcanist are probably getting switched for Imperial and Gunner