• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Still fumbling around with party ideas. Was originally set on a fairly bland Hero/Protector/Sovereign/Gunner/something setup. However, I found myself interested in using the Ninja, and started toying with the idea of an ailment type party.

Some combination of Nightseeker, Protector, Harbinger, War Magus, Ninja, and possibly Arcanist. Ninja or Arcanist in the back with the War Magus. Not too sure about the quality of damage with this set up though.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I booted this game without the intention to play it yet so I could nab the portrait DLC. While starting, it created "extra data".

Does this extra data have anything to do with previous EOs? (As in: if I had save data from EO IV/V on my SD card, Nexus would have created its "extra data" from that instead of a new file?)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I booted this game without the intention to play it yet so I could nab the portrait DLC. While starting, it created "extra data".

Does this extra data have anything to do with previous EOs? (As in: if I had save data from EO IV/V on my SD card, Nexus would have created its "extra data" from that instead of a new file?)
Haven't booted it, but shouldn't be. It's where the game stores additional save files.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a medic in my party and he's definitely my weakest link. I feel like a lot of time I have him sit and do nothing. He's got some useful skills to lower enemy defense, but they're not cheap in TP so I don't like to always use them.

I'm definitely going to reevaluate my party composition once I unlock subclassing.
This is definitely how I feel at the moment. As I'm new to the series it's nice to have the safety net that the heals from the medic provide but he also spends most fights contributing very little. It's still early though so I'm hoping that'll change.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a medic in my party and he's definitely my weakest link. I feel like a lot of time I have him sit and do nothing. He's got some useful skills to lower enemy defense, but they're not cheap in TP so I don't like to always use them.

I'm definitely going to reevaluate my party composition once I unlock subclassing.
In EO IV I kept a Medic in my party until I unlocked the Arcanist, then retired the Medic to switch to Arcanist/Medic. If it's anything like EOIV then Medic makes for a very useful subclass and not so good of a main class.

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I need some party help. Right now I have:

Hero/Protec/Imp
Gun/Sov

I want to keep a slot open in the front for Hero's Afterimage. Should I move the Protector to the back or switch out the Imp for a back row class? Thanks for the help.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a Hero/Landsknecht, then a Medic/Gunner/Zodiac in the back. I'm thinking about swapping the Zodiac out but I'm like 8 hours in and don't want to grind with a new member.

The boss area in the first labyrinth really walloped me, too.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Hero/Protec/Imp
Gun/Sov

I want to keep a slot open in the front for Hero's Afterimage. Should I move the Protector to the back or switch out the Imp for a back row class? Thanks for the help.
Oh, hey. This is actually the same lineup I went with. Hopefully the recovery from Gun and Sov is enough with a Medic subclass somewhere.

You could get away with swapping the Protector to the back. It depends on whether you are relying on Guards or Provoking, because even if you Provoke while in the back, your front will still be targeted plenty. Swapping party member positions is a free action, so you could swap as necessary. When you have Afterimages active, move the Protector with it, otherwise leave it in front.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
There are SO many portraits once you download the DLC. It's going to take me hours to finish character creation.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a Hero/Landsknecht, then a Medic/Gunner/Zodiac in the back. I'm thinking about swapping the Zodiac out but I'm like 8 hours in and don't want to grind with a new member.

The boss area in the first labyrinth really walloped me, too.
I recommend to stay flexible, and don't get stuck with a party you don't like. Swapping a character 8 hours in isn't too bad. I often switch characters after struggling with a boss and realizing the weaknesses of my party.

Keep in mind that although a new character's level may be low, you can give them strong equipment, so that makes up for their weakness a little bit.

Also, if you want to grind one particular character, you can do this easily with guild cards. If you recruit a character from someone else's guild card, they can join your party but they won't gain any experience. Instead, their experience will go to the characters who are actually yours. So, if run a party with 4 guild card characters and only 1 of your own, that means your own character gains 5x experience. This is a good way to catch up new characters.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm thinking about going Hero/Medic/Gunner (not in that order obviously, and I'm not married to the idea of a Medic but having one makes me feel safer) but I don't know what else to pick. Could anyone help me fill the last two? This is always the hardest part for me in EO. I know I do not want Zodiac as much as I liked them in their own game since I hear they got nerfed pretty hard. Is there a good alternative? The selection is a bit wonky due to the focus on popularity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about going Hero/Medic/Gunner (not in that order obviously, and I'm not married to the idea of a Medic but having one makes me feel safer) but I don't know what else to pick. Could anyone help me fill the last two? This is always the hardest part for me in EO. I know I do not want Zodiac as much as I liked them in their own game since I hear they got nerfed pretty hard. Is there a good alternative? The selection is a bit wonky due to the focus on popularity.
Just a quick thought, but none of the characters you posted can really apply any buffs, so you have a lot of room to work with there. Are you planning to use your hero for offense? You could anchor your party around maximizing the damage of afterimage, keeping in mind that the afterimage has to be buffed separately from the real hero, and think up strategies around that. Just one idea.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
When THAT boss comes at you when you're down like
tenor.gif

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I don't wanna think right now. What's better for clearing mobs, Shogun or Ronin? Haven't used either class before and I wanna replace my Protector for exploring. I'll switch her in when fighting bosses anyway. Memory conch <3

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Just a quick thought, but none of the characters you posted can really apply any buffs, so you have a lot of room to work with there. Are you planning to use your hero for offense? You could anchor your party around maximizing the damage of afterimage, keeping in mind that the afterimage has to be buffed separately from the real hero, and think up strategies around that. Just one idea.
That's a good point. I'll marinate on that. Thank you.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When THAT boss comes at you when you're down like
tenor.gif
In the 2nd labyrinth, if you're talking about what I think you are, a related oh shit moment is when
You climb up the stair to leave and see the same boss you just fought blocking your path and about to kill a few npcs. Thankfully it's just an event and you don't actually fight it again right then and there, but the thought that the game might expect me to at that point made me freak out a bit lol

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good point. I'll marinate on that. Thank you.

I think the word you're looking for is ruminate, lol

I just made a Party (and then made one with some friend's names and the classes they chose, not sure how well they'll work lol) and explored a tiny bit of the first Labyrinth. Force stuff is still pretty cool, I really liked it in EO2U. The snappiness of everything and ability to just change looks whenever is freaking AWESOME.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
In the 2nd labyrinth, if you're talking about what I think you are, a related oh shit moment is when
You climb up the stair to leave and see the same boss you just fought blocking your path and about to kill a few npcs. Thankfully it's just an event and you don't actually fight it again right then and there, but the thought that the game might expect me to at that point made me freak out a bit lol
Yeah. To both. :'0

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
How does the DLC work? Mainly:

- Inventor's Experience (triple EXP accesory)
- Inventor's Fortune (100% material drop rate accessory)

qrac

Nov 13, 2017

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Also, if you want to grind one particular character, you can do this easily with guild cards. If you recruit a character from someone else's guild card, they can join your party but they won't gain any experience. Instead, their experience will go to the characters who are actually yours. So, if run a party with 4 guild card characters and only 1 of your own, that means your own character gains 5x experience. This is a good way to catch up new characters.
Wow, I didn't know this, this is great to know!

Oct 29, 2017
UK
My copy came. Still disappointed how lazy Deep Silver have been with this. I really wanted that pin. Gonna download the portrait DLC, question the bikini armour DLC and then go back to EO5 and come back when I'm done.

omlet

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten far enough to know if you can sub Nightseeker on Gunner and dual wield guns and stack Follow Trace with gunner's Multi-Shot or Dual Action?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
So the DLC is both an item and quest (repeatable). Is it worth it?
In regards to the EXP quest I would say it is. I did my best not to abuse it in EO5 and treating it the same here.

I used it mostly for purposes of catching up other characters or leveling different classes so I could try out different party comps without constantly having to level someone from level 1.

Edit: Example is I wanted to try out War Magus. So I finished the quest with Level 1 War Magus as my only party member. They went up to level 9 and I then rested them to level 7 which is just 1 level above my first party which got to level 6 naturally.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I need to finish V...
And IV, for that matter.

Still ordered this like an idiot.
All hail BACKLOG.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me some suggestions on what to spend my starting skill points on for my party (by starting I mean more like the first 5 or so levels, not the first 3 points). Just trying to get a sense of what is worthwhile to get for each class

Land/Pug/Night
Sov/Gun

Also, do people spend the one point on getting the Take/Chop/etc skills?

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I felt like EO5 was a massive step down from 4 in every way.

Is this one also only about exploring the labyrinth and lacking in the extra exploration such as the world map from 4, or the ship stuff from 3?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I felt like EO5 was a massive step down from 4 in every way.

Is this one also only about exploring the labyrinth and lacking in the extra exploration such as the world map from 4, or the ship stuff from 3?
The exploration is done differently than in 3/4 - you get a menu-style overworld view where you can pick locations to visit that expands over time. It borrows the idea of mini-labyrinths from 4, and there are other locations you can visit that have NPCs or are specific to quest events. I haven't played long enough to know if that changes dramatically.

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
Oh wow, getting the EXP DLC just for catching up new characters seems really tempting.... I still haven't completely settled on my party (trying a Shogun now and was enjoying his EXP+encounter rate increase skill).

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Starting an EO game is always the worst because you spent like 1+ hour just trying to pick your first team.
I always spend a lot of time on this. And as soon as the EXP-share item comes into play, I feel obligated to create a character in basically every class so that I can sub in alternate classes as needed to my party. I start to run out of creative names for the characters... maybe I should just give in and have FIGHT and HEAL.

slayn

Oct 28, 2017

Hero/Protec/Imp
Gun/Sov

I think people are making too big of a deal about getting the Hero's afterimage into the front row. A lot of the Hero's best skills don't care that much about being in front because either they are defensive (shield skills) or they are ranged (mirage, volt). In addition, the images are always on a 1 turn delay so if you spawn an image for an important attack, you can move the image into the front and move another character back for just that turn and then move the party member back to the front on the following turn.

My party is the same as yours except that I have a nightseeker instead of the protector. On turns where I have an image with an important attack is spawned, I swap it with the nightseeker and use a throw move instead of a melee move. I imagine the same could be done for the protector. Just swap them into the back for that one turn and use a shield skill on him that doesn't care about row position.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any benefit to playing on expert, or is it just harder?

Secondly, what the hell do i put points into early game as a Link Land, do I get all element links? Do I put points into vanguard? The passive defense skill?

Also, is it not worth it to take the dual wield skill early with the Nightseeker? Doesn't seem to give much extra damage vs not having an extra defense slot unless you pump a bunch of points into it...

slayn

Oct 28, 2017
Lands: I would put 1 point into each elemental link and then not invest into any of them for a good long while. Always put 1 point into passives (this is true across the board and all characters). The various passive skills like def up, initiative, and so forth are all front and back loaded meaning the first point into them are worth a ton but then there isn't a huge increase in power until the last point. So put 1 point in them and then forget about them until late game when you might max them out.

Nightseeker: There's very little point in getting Blade flurry early. It has 2 purposes in my mind. Maxed out swift edge in the late game if you plan to build that way and the other would be if you come across weapons with good stat modifiers or special skills. For example, I recently came across a dagger with a huge luck bonus and so only now am I getting a single point in blade flurry so that I can try shoving it into my off hand and then never actually attack with it.

edit: actually I see swift edge is based on ailments, not holding two weapons. So the skill is even more useless than I thought. It exists to eventually waste 4sp before you can get follow trace

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My copy came. Still disappointed how lazy Deep Silver have been with this. I really wanted that pin. Gonna download the portrait DLC, question the bikini armour DLC and then go back to EO5 and come back when I'm done.
I don't know if it helps with your disappointment, but it turned out to be a PVC pin rather than an enamel pin.
I'm more disappointed that there was no soundtrack disc this time, and no plans to release an FM Soundtrack DLC for the game despite the awesome demo tracks posted on Yuzo Koshiro's YouTube channel a while back:

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
lol, i noped out hard out of the first boss room. i had to go back to work anyways.
also, i cant believe i survived the event with the (first laberynth event)
stinky water or whatever that forced some characters to drop everything and then fight unequiped

Is there any benefit to playing on expert, or is it just harder?

Secondly, what the hell do i put points into early game as a Link Land, do I get all element links? Do I put points into vanguard? The passive defense skill?

Also, is it not worth it to take the dual wield skill early with the Nightseeker? Doesn't seem to give much extra damage vs not having an extra defense slot unless you pump a bunch of points into it...

Expert is super fun for me.
For links i would try to figure out the most common weakness on the floor that you are exploring and level up that once for now, maybe a bit later (still under lvl 10) get the other elemental links as well

Oh wow, getting the EXP DLC just for catching up new characters seems really tempting.... I still haven't completely settled on my party (trying a Shogun now and was enjoying his EXP+encounter rate increase skill).

The cheat dlcs are pretty good imo, they can take some of the grinding for experimenting with builds or characters, but its easy to just abuse it and make the game a cakewalk. I always try to not level up beyond what i naturally get with my main party.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
No FM music DLC is so disappointing as that was one of the best pieces of DLC I ever purchased for a game when I got it for EO5.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This is my 3rd EO and the first lab feels tough(on expert). I'm trying to run a different party set up this time.

also, i cant believe i survived the event with the (first laberynth event)
stinky water or whatever that forced some characters to drop everything and then fight unequiped

Yeah that event was pretty funny. My entire back line had everything unequipped. I was sure I was gonna die.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Pugilist early skills question. So far I've just pumped 2 points into each of the bind punches in order to get to one two punch, should I keep going with that method or should I be taking anything else? HP Up? is Double Punch something to invest in vs One-Two Punch?

Also, for Nightseeker, so far my points are:

2 in sand throw, 1 in sleep throw, 1 in proficiency, 1 in blade flurry, any suggestions on where to go next? Its a front line Nightseeker fighting alongside Landy and Pug

Last edited: