• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Taking my first steps now.
Hero/Protector
Gunner/Sovereign/Survivalist

Team feels much more rounded than I've felt at this point in some previous games. I can see access to plenty of elemental, bind, buff/debuff, healing skills. Plus the survivalist skills to reduce enemy encounters/deal with trap tiles should be useful. Also my team has a pile of passive HP regen.

Access to old portraits was cool too, I've got a couple of old favourites in there like this EOIV Fortress as my Protector.
3mkxGC.jpeg

Last edited:

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Pugilist early skills question. So far I've just pumped 2 points into each of the bind punches in order to get to one two punch, should I keep going with that method or should I be taking anything else? HP Up? is Double Punch something to invest in vs One-Two Punch?

Also, for Nightseeker, so far my points are:

2 in sand throw, 1 in sleep throw, 1 in proficiency, 1 in blade flurry, any suggestions on where to go next? Its a front line Nightseeker fighting alongside Landy and Pug

Want to make sure this isn't lost on the last page

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I'm not using NS in this game so can't comment.

I have 6/10 Double Punch on Pug and it doesn't do shit. also 3/8 status atk up. still nothing. she prolly needs to bump her luck to have a fighting chance in hitting binds. I'm gonna get rid of her for someone else. maybe she'll get better later on but I'm tired of her not doing much. I would put as many points in the binds until you're one point off where the TP cost is too much for you to handle.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Oh...
This game's release caught me by surprise. And it seems somewhat hard to find too.

Might be a good excuse to go back to EOV, since I never finished it.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
It's taken me since the day before release to finally come up with a party. Ended up finalizing my Protector, Shogun, Landshark, Sovereign, and Gunner party this evening. Focusing mainly on spamming out as many buffed up elemental links as possible. Not 100% sure how this will work out, but it seems like it should be pretty solid. Unfortunately I couldn't fit the Ninja in, but that's okay. Only had time to do the first couple of quests, but this weekend I should be able to really dive in. I'll get my guild card uploaded once I unlock that particular feature.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the EXP quest I would say it is. I did my best not to abuse it in EO5 and treating it the same here.

I used it mostly for purposes of catching up other characters or leveling different classes so I could try out different party comps without constantly having to level someone from level 1.

Edit: Example is I wanted to try out War Magus. So I finished the quest with Level 1 War Magus as my only party member. They went up to level 9 and I then rested them to level 7 which is just 1 level above my first party which got to level 6 naturally.
I probably won't get to this (or V for that matter) for a very long time. Decided to peek in and would never consider using something like this in this way so I went and downloaded it for both. Just wanted to say thanks from my probably like 5+ years from now self.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Pugilist early skills question. So far I've just pumped 2 points into each of the bind punches in order to get to one two punch, should I keep going with that method or should I be taking anything else? HP Up? is Double Punch something to invest in vs One-Two Punch?

Also, for Nightseeker, so far my points are:

2 in sand throw, 1 in sleep throw, 1 in proficiency, 1 in blade flurry, any suggestions on where to go next? Its a front line Nightseeker fighting alongside Landy and Pug
I haven't used pugilist in this game so I might not be the most helpful. But I remember one two punch being awesome in EOV.

The trade-off been them is that double punch is better for when you need one particular bind, but one two punch is better when you want any bind at all. I like one two punch because it's pretty brainless. You can keep throwing it out without worrying about what bind resistances your enemies have or have accumulated.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
The opening is stronger than a lot of the other games already. And by stronger I mean fuck that stinky water quest lol.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
The opening is stronger than a lot of the other games already. And by stronger I mean fuck that stinky water quest lol.

hahahaha
thats not even the worse one. i had another super obvious one that I fell for an hour later and I barely made it out alive

like, i was sure i was going to get wiped and 2 of my front lines fell almost inmediatly but i somehow pulled it off

edit: worst part is i was on the hardest difficulty, hadnt upgraded my gear since the first lab and i had just rested the whole party so i was underleveled and undergeared.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I liked the water one, good to see my team limping home in the first strata as a general reminder not to get too careless with over-extending the team's ability to stay there, I ran into it when they were almost out of TP and it made the fight really hard, KOing two of my party. Fortunately my survivalist managed to resuscitate them afterwards. Really enjoying this so far.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Also whenever I read this thread title i can only think off Calling that Detestable Name .

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really liking how the game's progressing so far. Just done with B1, and it's a nice shakeup of the basic concept while still keeping most of what makes the games good.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really liking how the game's progressing so far. Just done with B1, and it's a nice shakeup of the basic concept while still keeping most of what makes the games good.

i didnt expect
that boss battle at such low level. also having the healer girl early for the fiest few levels was nice.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
i didnt expect
that boss battle at such low level. also having the healer girl early for the fiest few levels was nice.

Luckily they allowed you to back out, cause I wasn't expecting a boss at all and was at low health lol. Also having a bind boss as the first one is a surprise, they don't usually introduce binders until later.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily they allowed you to back out, cause I wasn't expecting a boss at all and was at low health lol. Also having a bind boss as the first one is a surprise, they don't usually introduce binders until later.

Saameee, I entered the room and noped out hard. i dont think the boss had any synergy with its own binds right? besides trying to outlive you by crippling your party damage output and slowly grinding you out. it took me 27 turns to take it down, but i only had starting gear (which im still using at lvl 7 haha, havent upgraded any weapon or armor)

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Saameee, I entered the room and noped out hard. i dont think the boss had any synergy with its own binds right? besides trying to outlive you by crippling your party damage output and slowly grinding you out. it took me 27 turns to take it down, but i only had starting gear (which im still using at lvl 7 haha, havent upgraded any weapon or armor)

It only used the binds and the poison breath the whole time so I guess it's more a demonstration boss.

Oct 25, 2017
Poison is pretty good early on. And by good I mean ridiculous. It's doing 4x my strongest attack's damage per turn. I've been playing more defensively and using Ninja to poison enemies. Let me take out the FOEs on the FOEs on Lab 1 BF1/2 when my party was level 6 with few issues. I even bagged myself a shiny one.

Feels like I settled into an early game party of Linkshark / Hero | Sovreign / Gunner / Ninja. I really wanted to run Highlander and Shogun, but they feel really point starved at early levels. Actually, a lot of classes feel point starved early on. I'll probably come back to a bunch of classes around level 20 when the next set of skills unlock and I have more options to make things gel better. Good think I filled out my barracks.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, my characters are level 10 and I've been hoarding a few skill points for some of them because I don't know what to do. My party is

Land/Pug/Night
Sov/Gun

My land is going to be linking, but so far I only have 1 point into each of the 3 links, 1 point into proficiency, and 1 point into phys def. I have 7 leftover points, any suggestions on where to put them? Pump my links? Get Vanguard? Max Proficiency? Pump Phys Def?

My Nightseeker currently has 2 in sand throw, 3 in sleep throw, 2 in proficiency, 1 in blade flurry (I feel like I wasted that one for now, but oh well). Where should I go from here? Should I get shadow cloak and binding slice? Pump Proficiency? Max out Sand/Sleep throw?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

slayn

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, my characters are level 10 and I've been hoarding a few skill points for some of them because I don't know what to do. My party is

Land/Pug/Night
Sov/Gun

My land is going to be linking, but so far I only have 1 point into each of the 3 links, 1 point into proficiency, and 1 point into phys def. I have 7 leftover points, any suggestions on where to put them? Pump my links? Get Vanguard? Max Proficiency? Pump Phys Def?

My Nightseeker currently has 2 in sand throw, 3 in sleep throw, 2 in proficiency, 1 in blade flurry (I feel like I wasted that one for now, but oh well). Where should I go from here? Should I get shadow cloak and binding slice? Pump Proficiency? Max out Sand/Sleep throw?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
You have some options, there isn't a single right answer. In general I would not bump passives until you plan to max them out. This goes for all passives, but I'll use lands phys defense as an example. The first sp gives you a 4% damage reduction. Pretty good. The *total* reduction from the next 6 points is 8%. So just a little over 1% per point which is crap compared to that initial 4% for 1sp. Then the last point from maxing the skill is worth another 3% reduction. So all told you get 15% reduction and sp 1 and 8 are half of the total. Basically all the passives follow this curve of the first and last point being huge and everything else being bad.

I think lands has 2 options. Start bumping the link skills until right before the sp cost starts to hurt. I'm assuming you're using links in most battles so you probably don't want them maxed and costing you 14tp per turn. Or invest in the Power/Guard break skills for foe and boss battles. Both are quite good debuffs. Power break knocking down foe/boss damage can be the difference between getting 1 shot or not. Or guard break can increase your party's power across the board. And with Pug/Night/Gun you have a lot of ailments/binds but not a lot of straight up de-buffs for bosses.

Nightseeker I feel like is kind of weird until higher levels. Mine basically just threw sand for 20 levels and called it a day. I think nightseekers have sort of 3 builds: shadow bite, swift edge, or cloak; none of which really work until higher levels. Personally, I just threw a bunch of points into the throws, biding slice, and proficiency early knowing full well that I would rest, lose some levels, and completely reset them later on because I didn't want to hoard skill points for the stuff I actually wanted and keep them gimped for a really long time until the later skill trees unlock.

I did really like maxed out sand throw as blind is a really, really good ailment you want to land on everything. And even maxed out the tp cost is cheap enough to just use it every single fight.

Last edited:

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
In general I'm appreciating (at least early on) how they keep giving you non-combat allies who provide bonuses and commentary. Many of the early games said that your guild was one of many exploring the labyrinth, but they often failed to show it properly - you'd run into maybe 1 or 2 other guilds repeatedly. Here I've hit 3 different sets of NPCs and the StreetPass guilds all within the first 2 labyrinths.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I ditched my Pug and War Magus for a Gunner and Princess. feels bad

Princess is fucking amazing tho. I like her better here than in III or 2U. idunno what I did but she's always at capped TP after spamming buffs. ima go all in on maxing her buffs like Attack Order so I can dent her TP a little

badarchetype

Nov 20, 2017
I just have to accept I'll never be satisfied with my party's looks and will be constantly revamping their portraits every dungeon floor.

I'm finding my Zodiac rather lackluster. Once his TP runs out he's useless, whereas everyone else is useful and can sustain (Sovereign) or has melee attacks. I may try out a different ranged class.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I want to both smack and hug whomever came up with the gimmick in Giant's Ruins.
But mostly smack.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
They missed out on most of my favorite ranged classes so making a backline is tough in this one. I went with the rather boring starting lineup of Hero/Protector/Zodiac/Medic/Survivalist. Plus I made a backup team of five farmers to soak up exp on the bench and go in the dungeon as suicide gatherers.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine not using a sovereign in this game. I waffled a lot on my party, but it's just such a good class that I always had to include one.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine not using a sovereign in this game. I waffled a lot on my party, but it's just such a good class that I always had to include one.

Yeah I'm building one up to go in for the Zodiac/Medic/Survivalist later on when I just want to stay in the dungeon forever.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, they must have released even more limited copies than normal Atlus. It is no where in my area at all.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hahah, just made my way through that gauntlet myself.

After every room I was like this has to be the last. It was NOT!
The FOEs in there are also horrible. God, I am done with that place. D:

Anyway, today I finished up the third Labyrinth. Except for one optional boss I am done so far. So tomorrow I will start with the next. But I already sneak peaked a bit:
EO 3 theme and music! <3

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hit level 20 in my party finally and WHEW fun options are opening up. More ailment availability I was waiting for and better damage dealing options for combos.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah totally, I've been using sovereign and the only thing I don't like about it is that it has too many things to do and not enough turns to do them. My sovereign somehow has to juggle buffing offense/defense, keeping the party safe from ailments, removing the party's debuffs, and restoring TP. It even has a 300% speed heal which is useful in a pinch. And this is while I'm completely ignoring sovereign's elemental bomb spells, which actually look pretty decent, but I never have any time to set up.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
This game seems quite a bit harder than other recent EOs so far. I kinda hate how basic feels like a step back from true EO with no true permadeath, but expert is a legit hard mode. There's like nothing inbetween.

I did manage to beat the boss of the second lab after some luck (that counter is brutal) and now I'm on to the third. These goddamn FOE bird things keep cornering me and argh.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a good etrian to start with. I have 4 but am thinking of getting this since it seems to have a small print run

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Nexus seems like the only good endpoint, honestly. It's basically all the games combined into one final package.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I went with

Shogun/Hero/Harbringer
Gunner/Arcanist

Because I'm a fool who wants to see if I can avoid Medic/War Magus/Sovereign until subclasses lol.
I also didn't choose Protector because I always chose the tank class in the other games.
Playing on heroic, this won't go well at all.

Damn I really wish the Blade Dancer was in this one. Loved the risk and reward of wielding 4 katanas.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It just appeared and has higher stats than the last boss. It basically oneshots nearly everyone if it isn't debuffed and I also have thje problem of not getting stuff of consistently. :(

Welp, guess I'll come back later when I have better gear.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Having a great time with this. The relatively short labyrinths means there's more variety than being stuck with a tileset for an entire strata (five floors).

Sovereign is easily MVP at the moment. Constant buffs and party-wide healing, never runs out of TP and can restore it to others through negotiation, meaning you can restore it while walking around fighting low level enemies. Puts the medic to shame, at least in the early game.

Survivalist starting to pull his weight too with field skills.

I laughed when I entered the small
orchard. Saw Furyhorn coming a mile off, that crazy deer! :D

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I should play V first? I sunk about 30 hours into IV back when and enjoyed my time with it.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this as my first game in the series. I hope I made the right bet...

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
those gameplay twists with the boss battles in the Woodlands were amazing

Too bad no battle with the red bloodbear with The End of the Raging Winds but i bet we will get that song later in the game

Edit

I bought this as my first game in the series. I hope I made the right bet...

This game is a "Best of" all etrian games, so you will get tons of varied content, various themed dungeons and different battle themes from across the series.
The only bad thing is if you play another previous game you will see some of these themes and story beats that you played in this game

Last edited:

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Finally unlocked subclasses ~37 hours into the game.
The key item is in a treasure chest on the last floor of the 8th labyrinth. I found the encounters in the 8th labyrinth to be a nice jump up in difficulty compared to the ones prior.

Settled on my final party. Ended up retiring my old Arcanist into a Harbinger for the higher level Miasma Armor/debuffs instead of the other way around.

F: [Hero/Highlander] [Nightseeker/Ronin]
R: [Sovereign/Farmer] [Gunner/Nightseeker] [Harbinger/Arcanist]

edit: felt like the subs for hero and harbinger were underwhelming with the amount of lockdown I was already doing so now it's
F: [Hero/War Magus] [Nightseeker/Ronin]
R: [Sovereign/Farmer] [Gunner/Nightseeker] [Harbinger/Shogun]

Last edited: