• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Without prior knowledge of classes, I settled up with:

Protector Harbinger Ninja
War Magus and Nightseeker.

I think I overdid the status effects side of my group :D

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, EO Nexus doesn't have FM music DLC like EOV? (I don't have this game yet.)
Nope.
That's nice, should be easier than unscrewing the back every time. I'll have to try this out and see how many random Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life screenshots are hidden away on my 3DS.
Doesn't work on my WIn 10 though. D:

It works on my parents PC though. I will fill out the form to get some more EU people on here! :D
It won't work on Win10 unless you activate a couple of options (turned off by default for security reasons):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-microsd-management-smbv1-and-windows-10.494618/

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

It works on my parents PC though. I will fill out the form to get some more EU people on here! :D

thats weird, i have windows 10 and it worked fine

Edit:

Nope.

It won't work on Win10 unless you activate a couple of options (turned off by default for security reasons):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-microsd-management-smbv1-and-windows-10.494618/

what? really? i didnt do any of this haha

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm interested in general impressions of this game. Is it so good that I should play it before playing games like Untold 2 or V?

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Deciding on a party is hard. I think I've switched my long range attacker between gunner and zodiac four times now.

I think now I'm finally, firmly in the gunner camp though. Now that I've reached level 40 and gunner has elemental attacks, it's closing one of the major gaps it has with zodiac. Also I think it's just a more fun class to play -- I like the risk / reward between deciding whether to go for fast or slow attacks, and whether to charge or not.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in general impressions of this game. Is it so good that I should play it before playing games like Untold 2 or V?
I think the quality is fairly consistent across EO games.

The major advantage this one has over others is a ton of extra portraits to choose from, and a lot of classes. If that's exciting to you (I know it is for me), then maybe you could go directly to Nexus. Otherwise I don't think it matters too much.

EOV and Untold 2 both have demos with progress transfer, I think (Nexus doesn't unfortunately). You could start them both up and see which appeals to you more.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Untold 2 demo defaults to the Story mode iirc, but it has the classic mode in the full game

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can't go wrong with any EO tbh. I am itching to jump on Nexus (party already planned) but I started IV for the first time some weeks ago and now must choose finish that or juggle them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
When do subclasses unlock? I'm in the fifth labyrinth, is it tied to level or story progress?

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Here's my guild card if anyone wants.

EONGCARD.png

ijed

Mar 2, 2018
Could someone explain MATK and MDEF - are these for elemental damage or any skills?
If I have a character that only has physical attacks/skills is it worth worrying about their MATK?

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Could someone explain MATK and MDEF - are these for elemental damage or any skills?
If I have a character that only has physical attacks/skills is it worth worrying about their MATK?

Basically any skills that run off INT for calculations use MATK for the damage value and hits MDEF. So other than Zodiac, Sovereign's Element Bombs and Arcanist's Dismiss Blows use MATK. The elemental attacks from Gunner and Imperial uses ATK since it runs off STR.

ijed

Mar 2, 2018
Basically any skills that run off INT for calculations use MATK for the damage value and hits MDEF. So other than Zodiac, Sovereign's Element Bombs and Arcanist's Dismiss Blows use MATK. The elemental attacks from Gunner and Imperial uses ATK since it runs off STR.
Thankyou! Yes was mostly wondering in relation to best weapon to equip with sovereign for Element Bombs :D

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I had one complaint about the class selection, it's that I think they needed a better selection of backline focused units. To many have heavy role overlap as healers and I think a lot of the "flex" jobs they picked are much more limited if you use them as backline units rather than frontline

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How does this team look?

(Hero) (Protector) (Either Nightseeker or Harbringer)
(Sovereign) (Gunner)
That's very similar to mine, I'm running
Hero/Protector
Survivalist/Sovereign/Gunner.
It feels like I've got most bases covered with that setup so I think you'll be fine, to be honest Hero, Protector and Sovereign make such a strong party on their own that anything you add in terms of binds, debuffs, spells etc will just continue to round it out.

I went for survivalist as the map skills to negate floor tile effects and reduce encounter rate make things a bit less frustrating for me in terms of moving around, plus the gathering skills means spending less points in it elsewhere.

slayn

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the Force Boost of War Magus.

What is the War Edge bonus?
War magus has all those attacks that do an extra thing if the target has an ailment. I believe putting them in boost removes that restriction so that those skills are all full power even if the target doesn't have any ailments on them yet. So good for if you really need to land something like a strength slash right now and the target isn't poisoned or blind or anything.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
War magus has all those attacks that do an extra thing if the target has an ailment. I believe putting them in boost removes that restriction so that those skills are all full power even if the target doesn't have any ailments on them yet. So good for if you really need to land something like a strength slash right now and the target isn't poisoned or blind or anything.
so totally useless unless you put some points into that branch of the War Magus skills.

I wanted my war magus to make it full healer with the War Heal spells and Vampire passive.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
thats weird, i have windows 10 and it worked fine
Windows 10 updates, who knows how they work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't want to take things too far off-topic, but Microsoft disabled disabled SMBv1 support on Windows 10 as it is ancient, and a security risk now (not only for 10, but it sounds like 7/8.1 were not updated?) Unfortunately, that's what the 3DS uses.
It can be re-enabled, though I don't recommend it. At least disable it again once you're finished transferring files if you do enable it.
What I recommend is running a separate virtual machine which has SMBv1 enabled, and connect to the 3DS via that. That way it is only the virtual machine which is at risk, rather than your main OS.

slayn

Oct 28, 2017
so totally useless unless you put some points into that branch of the War Magus skills.

I wanted my war magus to make it full healer with the War Heal spells and Vampire passive.
Even if your war magus is focused on heals and in the back row and doesn't care about its damage and has no ailment support in the slightest, just get points into guard/strength slash and then against bosses you boost, throw out a guard slash, and now your party is doing 30% (if maxed) more damage across the board for 7 turns. Who cares if you're using it from the back row with a no damage weapon? The debuff is what matters.

strength slash/guard slash are maybe the best debuffs in the entire game. It would be a mistake not to make use of them against bosses. Even at only a single sp point, guard slash gives your party a 15% damage increase for 7 turns. Which is insanely good.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy this morning!! Now all that's left for me is to find a way to plug in the 3ds charger...

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even if your war magus is focused on heals and in the back row and doesn't care about its damage and has no ailment support in the slightest, just get points into guard/strength slash and then against bosses you boost, throw out a guard slash, and now your party is doing 30% (if maxed) more damage across the board for 7 turns. Who cares if you're using it from the back row with a no damage weapon? The debuff is what matters.

strength slash/guard slash are maybe the best debuffs in the entire game. It would be a mistake not to make use of them against bosses. Even at only a single sp point, guard slash gives your party a 15% damage increase for 7 turns. Which is insanely good.
Noted, thank you.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God something about drawing the maps in these games is so gratifying. I guess I'll have to dust off my 3DS and plug it in to charge!

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
So given that this brings back both subclassing and the Ninja class, is it possible to replicate the self-resurrecting Ninja/Monk suicide clone squad from III?
(It involved running an undersized party, setting up the ninja/monk with all the skills that healed/restored SP/dealt damage on dealth then flooding the party with Bunshin clones, and using a Shogun to kill the clones with Kaishaku and build up Bloody Lance. Because Nikudan's once-per-battle triggers anew for each clone you can spam suicide damage)

Last edited:

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Managed to beat the 5th Labyrinth. The boss fight was cool but my group managed to handle it quite well. There was only one scary part in the middle when someone died and I couldn't really rezz him for 2 turns due to him instantly dieing again.

My party is currently level 37 (36 after the boss, 37 after the quest). Next up is the third sub dungeon before I go into the next major Labyrinth.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not too far behind you, just trying to sort out the hair clip quest on B4 before tackling the boss.

Starting to think about subclasses. Highlander looks good for Hero for the stat boosts. The backline are looking for revive abilities and increased TP. Protector is the one I'm stuck on, anyone got any ideas?

Party is hero/Protector, suvivalist/Sovereign/gunner.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got my copy! I feel bad because I haven't played (or gotten...) V yet, but whatever. It feels nice to know I'm playing a Etrian upon the first week of release.