• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
From the EU deals thread:
Insane deals on the 3DS eShop for some Atlus stuff. Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey 5 and SMT4:Apocalypse all at 80% off and going for 5.99€ (same for 7th Dragon III Code VFD but I'm unfamiliar with that one). Etrian Odyssey Nexus 70% off at 8.99€.

Absolute steal for the 80% off ones, all 4 are great games.

Really amazing deals, and you can buy all of those games without any worry. Promotion lasts until 12/03 (next thursday).
All fantastic games that reviewed really well, two of those being remakes of DS versions!

Keep in mind that it's recommended to play SMTIV (not on sale right now, but it's also often on sale at 10€) before Apocalypse, but all the other games here are self-contained. And DSJ is awesome regardless of your opinion on the new content.
For Etrian Odyssey, I believe there's a demo for each game, and you can transfer your save from there to the main game.

edit if you want more...
Checking the 3DS deals section, there's a few other great deals, damn:
Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice (the last game) at 9.89€
Senran Kagura 2 at 9€
Popolocrois at 10€
I'd recommend those three as well.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wooooooah. I've essentially retired my 3DS at this point (it lives in a drawer and my Switch comes with me everywhere) but I feel like it'd be worth dusting it off and charging it back up for some of these deals.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
UK prices:
Strange Journey Redux: £5.39
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: £5.39
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology: £5.39
Etrian Odyssey V: £5.39
Etrian Odyssey Nexus: £8.09
7th Dragon III Code: VFD: £5.39

Literally cheaper than a fish and chips.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
UK prices:
Strange Journey Redux: £5.39
Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: £5.39
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology: £5.39
Etrian Odyssey V: £5.39
Etrian Odyssey Nexus: £8.09
7th Dragon III Code: VFD: £5.39

Literally cheaper than a fish and chips.

Etrian V or Nexus?

Assuming you'd know based on username.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I love the Etrian games, but they are so long haha.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Shit, haven't played some of those back when I wanted to, but thought them to be too expensive.

Now they're really affordable, but I have retired my 2DS XL for the most part/quasi entirely.

Wonder if I can bring myself to pick it up again... hmmmm.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
What's the fastest way to play Etrian Odyysey? From what I played I loved the exploration and mapping, but I hated how much emphasis there was on combat and stats. Should I accept that it's going to be too much fighting and item management for me?

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
I wanted to try Strange Journey but heard there's somne issues with the 3ds version. Are they particularly noteworthy or is it ok to go ahead on this one?

Only have enough money on my acc for one of these games so if anyone wants to steer me towards a different game please go ahead.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
you should also mention the others.

->
Yeah I didn't put in the others since I assume most people already have Ace Attorney, and the others are pretty niche.
Etrian V or Nexus?

Assuming you'd know based on username.
I'd recommend Nexus personally, especially if you've already played one before.
It's the final game and it's packed with content.

edit:
I wanted to try Strange Journey but heard there's somne issues with the 3ds version. Are they particularly noteworthy or is it ok to go ahead on this one?

Only have enough money on my acc for one of these games so if anyone wants to steer me towards a different game please go ahead.
The "issues" people talk about for Strange Journey are mostly differences with the original version: redrawn art, new endings, additional (and mostly optional) content, etc. Also better QOL compared to the original.
If you've never played the one on DS, you'll have absolutely no issues with it.

Keep in mind Strange Journey is pretty hardcore though, but it's probably the best game in the list imo.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to buy something, but it seems you can't add only required amount anymore for payment?

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Keep in mind Strange Journey is pretty hardcore though, but it's probably the best game in the list imo.

You're damn right it is! I've never played Nexus, though (that'll change soon enough).

Etrian Odyssey V and Etrian Odyssey Nexus are the only good games out of that list.

We're now living in a Bizarro world where Radiant Historia, SMTIV Apocalypse and Strange Journey aren't excellent products then, is that it?

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The website only lets me add funds in increments of 100 NOK, and the games are 60 or 57. Unless there is a secret web version of the eshop I don't know about.
Can't you buy directly the game through the website? It should allow you to just "add the difference" by doing it like this, compared to adding funds and buying on 3DS.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Glad someone made a new thread about this, these deals are incredible.
Already grabbed Strange Journey and it's great since the retail copies in Europe are quite rare.
Actually Nexus is tempting too, but I really want a physical copy of that one since I have the entire series in retail.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
The website only lets me add funds in increments of 100 NOK, and the games are 60 or 57. Unless there is a secret web version of the eshop I don't know about.
If you have a Switch then whatever is left after the purchase will remain in your wallet as balance you can use on the switch so there's at least that.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you buy directly the game through the website? It should allow you to just "add the difference" by doing it like this, compared to adding funds and buying on 3DS.
Do you have a link to the European store? Nintendo stuff is a bit weird in Norway because another company have exclusive distribution rights to physical games, so they naturally tries to pretend the eShop doesn't exist.

If you have a Switch then whatever is left after the purchase will remain in your wallet as balance you can use on the switch so there's at least that.

Oh, that's good to know. It's not a huge issue then.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks for this! I got SMT:4A, Radiant Historia and Etrian Odyssey V. Not sure when I will play these games, but I seriously doubt they'll ever be cheaper than now, so no reason not to pick them up.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely going to finally pick up Radiant Historia from this, been a while since I powered on the ol' 3DS though

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo.co.uk or whatever country domain you prefer. it's all the same.
Thanks, but I'm asking for a link directly to the store since I'm unable to find it through Nintendo's homepage. Also it's not the same since my region Norway is handled by another company. Just link me the store page for one of the games.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
So glad I've got 32GB storage on my 3DS, I'm definitely buying Radiant Historia and Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse.

If only Persona Q was discounted, too.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Thanks, but I'm asking for a link directly to the store since I'm unable to find it through Nintendo's homepage. Also it's not the same since my region Norway is handled by another company. Just link me the store page for one of the games.
there is no store. the website is the store. go to a game page -> purchase

So glad I've got 32GB storage on my 3DS, I'm definitely buying Radiant Historia and Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse.

If only Persona Q was discounted, too.
that was on sale during the big Holiday blowout

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Makes one realize how poor Atlus has been on the Switch :p

Because they had some great games on the 3ds. Amazing prices

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Makes one realize how poor Atlus has been on the Switch :p

Because they had some great games on the 3ds. Amazing prices
I mean in fairness, Atlus has developed 3 HD games (Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Catherine and Persona 5). And released those 3 HD games again (Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Catherine Full Body and Persona 5 Royal). I'm forgetting the dancing games on purpose.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed SMT4 Apocalypse, Radiant Historia and Strange Journey. The latter two were never available in Europe in their original releases, so it's good to have access to them now.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely buying Radiant Historia. For someone who liked Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl and Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City but didn't really get on with IV or Untold 2, is Nexus or V the better choice? Also what is Lord of Magna like?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Only played the originals so I wouldn't know but what can they have done to take them from excellent to not even good?

Also, how is SMT4:Apocalypse not good?

Yeah the base games are in both anyway, so the new content can be ignored in Redux (outside of like one cutscene). Redux also just visually looks better in the environments (the new art is kinda eh but the game itself is pretty much the same). I'm guessing Radiant Historia's "new content" is endgame stuff, never played the 3DS port.

Apocalypse is far better than 4 to me, just based on the gameplay itself (QoL, more balanced, more demons, Doi's Demon Art > Guest Demon Designs in 4, story is not as "mainline SMT" as 4 was I guess but it wasn't as bad as some say it is at all, I actually preferred the cast of Apocalypse to 4's). The soundtrack is excellent again too.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If new to EO, I recommend EOV over Nexus. Nexus has a TON of content and it has a lot of throwbacks to past EO games. I feel like it should be the EO you play if you want more EO. I appreciated how Nexus had almost everything from past EOs, it was fun.
EOV feels better balanced, it isnt super long like Nexus and it has a english dub. It felt more memorable overall

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Only played the originals so I wouldn't know but what can they have done to take them from excellent to not even good?

Also, how is SMT4:Apocalypse not good?
Yeah the base games are in both anyway, so the new content can be ignored in Redux (outside of like one cutscene). Redux also just visually looks better in the environments (the new art is kinda eh but the game itself is pretty much the same). I'm guessing Radiant Historia's "new content" is endgame stuff, never played the 3DS port.

Apocalypse is far better than 4 to me, just based on the gameplay itself (QoL, more balanced, more demons, Doi's Demon Art > Guest Demon Designs in 4, story is not as "mainline SMT" as 4 was I guess but it wasn't as bad as some say it is at all, I actually preferred the cast of Apocalypse to 4's). The soundtrack is excellent again too.

btw just as an FYI:

www.resetera.com

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology |OT| WE HAVE TO GO BACK!

Developer: ATLUS Co. Ltd. Publisher: ATLUS (NA/JP)/Deep Silver (EU) Platform: Nintendo 3DS Release Date: June 29, 2017 (JP) | February 13, 2018 (NA) | February 16, 2018 (EU) Genre: It's an RPG from Japan with time travel so I am legally obligated to claim it is like Chrono Trigger (it's not)...

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
btw just as an FYI:

www.resetera.com

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology |OT| WE HAVE TO GO BACK!

Developer: ATLUS Co. Ltd. Publisher: ATLUS (NA/JP)/Deep Silver (EU) Platform: Nintendo 3DS Release Date: June 29, 2017 (JP) | February 13, 2018 (NA) | February 16, 2018 (EU) Genre: It's an RPG from Japan with time travel so I am legally obligated to claim it is like Chrono Trigger (it's not)...

Thanks, I just bought Radiant Historia: PC and 7th Dragon on this sale.

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Never played the original Radiant Historia, but Perfect Chronology gives the player the choice to blend the new content of the game in the mainline plot or to leave all of it in the endgame, so you can basically have the original experience untouched. You can buy the original portraits as DLC for like one or two euros and if you don't like the dub (which is actually good), you can cut it out to get basically the same game with a better UI and more streamlined in the various menus. Knowing this, it's actually pretty hard for me to understand why people might consider this game a "bad port" or an "inferior version".
Now, I haven't played Strange Journey and I just bought Redux: judging by this post, it's pretty clear that the new content can be totally ignored so it's a similar case for RH.

So... How actually these can be bad ports or problematic versions? I really don't get it.

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
The "issues" people talk about for Strange Journey are mostly differences with the original version: redrawn art, new endings, additional (and mostly optional) content, etc. Also better QOL compared to the original.
If you've never played the one on DS, you'll have absolutely no issues with it.

Thanks for this! Strange Journey has been bought.