• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Internet giants like Google might breathe a little easier in Europe... at least, for now. The EU has called off January 21st negotiations for a final vote on the controversial Copyright Directive after 11 countries, including Germany, Italy and the Netherlands, said they wouldn't support the latest version of the proposal. European Parliament Member Julia Reda noted that most of these countries (Croatia and Portugal are exceptions) have previously argued that the disputed Articles 11 and 13 of the directive didn't do enough to protect users' rights, and this may have played at least some part in their opposition.
This doesn't mean that the Copyright Directive is gone, or that Articles 11 and 13 will go away. However, it may need a significant overhaul if it's going to come to a vote. That, in turn, could delay any implementation. European elections are scheduled for May, just two months after the originally planned March vote on the Directive -- there isn't much room to breathe if there's a significant setback.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/19/eu-copyright-directive-rejected-at-council/

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Pure conjecture here but maybe it's because Memes are political now. They're an excellent way of spreading information and hell Trump and VOTE LEAVE built whole campaigns on it. It is not in any political parties favour to ban them or reject them.

... Well less conjecture and more my personal thoughts.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Pure conjecture here but maybe it's because Memes are political now. They're an excellent way of spreading information and hell Trump and VOTE LEAVE built whole campaigns on it. It is not in any political parties favour to ban them or reject them.

... Well less conjecture and more my personal thoughts.
It's got very little to do with memes. The internet just latched onto that particular impact.

Old fucks are just wanting the internet to work like traditional media.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's got very little to do with memes. The internet just latched onto that particular impact.

Old fucks are just wanting the internet to work like traditional media.

Sure but I'm just suggesting that to try and make it work like old media is a political liability. The Internet is far better and more efficient at gathering polticila support than traditional media. Not Memes sure, but social media, imagery, the spread of information and disinformation.

I'm just throwing the idea out there, I don't stand by it.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Happy things are looking better and this shit might not pass.

But the fact that after months of this, the people pushing for this not even understanding what they are suggesting, push back from public, experts and many who this was supposed to benefit IT IS STILL not fully dead and has a chance to pass in some form is ridiculous

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is good. Now I won't secretly cheer for Brexit anymore.

But it is actually good news.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Just as an aside on why the election is mentioned in the OP: anything not voted on by then has to be redone from the start, meaning the whole process would take much longer. Also, the outcome might be completely different due to different people being in the relevant committees after the elections.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering most of those countries were concerned about user's rights, I expect a significant deadlock, because the film and music industries who were in favor of Article 13 dropped their support like a hot potato the instant the EU inserted even a semblance of safeguards to not completely fuck over users and internet platforms. The legacy entertainment industries want a stranglehold over the internet, and any way of getting out of paying exorbitant licensing fees is a non-starter for them.

Article 11 is another kettle of fish, though Google has already shown what their gameplan is for dealing with it - remove links to news articles in their search results entirely, and basically cripple Google News in the EU. It's something they've done multiple times before in response to other 'link taxes', and each time news publishers panic, because they know they can't survive without Google, so they either beg to get rid of the tax or demand some kind of law somehow mandating that Google restore the links or some nonsense.

While Article 13 and 11 aren't outright dead, this move just confirmed that it'll be significantly harder to implement, especially Article 13, which is too draconian for several countries, but fixing that problem will cause its supporters to flip the fuck out and say they'd rather have nothing than a version of it with any kind of safe harbours.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't come as a surprise sadly but this shit is looking much more likely again