• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If anything, I'd take a guess that Horizon will be on PS+ IGC within the next year.

I don't have Plus, but I decided against getting it anyway

It's only 18% off as it's base price is Ā£15.99 now, and I don't really have time for it now anyway, so I can wait

people

Oct 27, 2017
A quick followup that may or may not be useful for those who haven't received a code or may provide some insight as to what makes one 'eligible' to receive one.

EDIT/INSERT: Good to see this 'is working' for some, unfortunately not for others. Keep in mind, this 'workaround' doesn't magically create codes if they weren't there. General terms and conditions apply, as well as more or less arbitrary conditions when it comes to eligibility (see bottom).

Let's start with the TL;DR: If you have received the email, but no code, try reading/viewing the email in Plain Text.

For those with questions about how to read/view emails in plain-text, I can only give some very general suggestions if your email app/client or service doesn't provide you with a straightforward option to simply 'view in plain-text'. In my opinion that's one of the most basic features/functionalities, but that's probably because I'm too old-fashioned. I use Thunderbird to handle most of my email needs and plain-text view is my default. Note that 'view source' or 'view original' is probably not what you are looking for and will most likely present you blocks of Base64-encoded output.

These are some things you can try when your email client/app or service doesn't seem to offer an easy/direct way to 'view plain-text'. (apart from using a client/app/service that does)

1. Dowload or save the email as .eml (this is probably the standard/default in most cases).
    • Find a way to view the .eml file. The easiest way, that should probably work most of the time is to Open the .eml in a modern webbrowser (such as Chrome, Brave, Firefox, I explicitly know nothing about Safari). If that doesn't work, or isn't something you can or want to do there are probably so called 'eml viewers' available on the internet. I have no experience with any of those and as such cannot recommend any of them. In other words, if you want to go that route, make sure to do your own research before you download and install programs or apps, or upload your files to 'online converters'.
    • Alternatively, you can try to convert the .eml file to something readable like a .txt or .PDF file. The same applies here, I am not recommending any program or website that lets you do that. However, a decent PDF viewer/creator/editor will most likely let you do this. (this could also be why a webbrowser works, because most have also a PDF-viewer built-in)
  2. Convert the relevant Base64-encoded chunk to readable text. Those on Windows (10) can use 'certutil' which is a Microsoft component and may or may not be installed. This is a very command-line approach and I only mention it here for sake of being thorough. There are ofcourse many other tools and methods to decode Base64.
    • Either open the .eml file with a text editor (like notepad++) or use the option to 'view original' / 'view source' and go to the first part that says Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 (there are 2 of these you want the first one. Copy the large block of encoded text (it ends with "==") below it and paste that into a new empty plain-text document and save it (e.g. "thereisnocode.txt".
    • Open a command prompt (or Powershell should probably work too), if you don't know how to do that, use windowskey+R and type "cmd" to start one in the default location.
    • Take note of the location of the "thereisnocode.txt" and input the following command: certutil -decode C:\Users\YOU\Desktop\thereisnocode.txt C:\Users\YOU\Desktop\isthereanycode.txt In this example the input (thereisnocode.txt )and output (isthereanycode.txt) files are on my desktop, adjust according to your own situation. If successful, "isthereanycode.txt" or whatever you named it, should now be human-readable and maybe contain a code.
My assumption is that most will read/view emails in HTML, in the case of 'the email' it looks like this. Note that this is not my own screenshot, but* mine looks like this. There is no part that shows a code. I have been told "there is a purple part with a code", if there is.
psnicd2519_akvkb2.png

psnicd2519_b4ej7p.png

Using Thunderbird to view 'the email' in Plain Text it looks like this:
psnicd2519_p6ok0u.png

The numbered parts (red) are what makes this 'interesting' and relate to 'eligiblity'. The text is in Dutch, but I will provide rough translation.
  1. To show our appreciation we offer you 25% extra discount etc.
  2. We miss you at PS Store, <PSNID>, so here's an extra warm welcome (back gesture). With the personal voucher below you can benefit from 25% extra discount etc.
  3. We would like to make your first purchase ever at/in PlayStation (TM) extra special, <PSNID>. That's why we give you 25% extra discount etc.

Sidenote: The code is the same for all three (blue)

These appear to be the three reasons why you might get a code, at least for this campaign. Not sure why they should be all in the same email body, or why it doesn't show up in HTML view for me. Also ofcourse it doesn't show more exact conditions such as how long ago your last purchase should have been to be 'missed'. My last purchase was mid-July. Either way, maybe this was useful or interesting. I'm curious if others will 'discover codes hidden in plain-text'.

*EDIT: Used screenshot of my own email.
+EDIT: Added some 'not-quite-instructions' on how to actually view email in plain-text + disclaimers.

Last edited:

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A quick followup that may or may not be useful for those who haven't received a code or may provide some insight as to what makes one 'eligible' to receive one.

Let's start with the TL;DR: If you have received the email, but no code, try reading/viewing the email in Plain Text.

My assumption is that most will read/view emails in HTML, in the case of 'the email' it looks like this. Note that this is not my own screenshot, but* mine looks like this. There is no part that shows a code. I have been told "there is a purple part with a code", if there is.
psnicd2519_akvkb2.png

psnicd2519_b4ej7p.png

psnicd2519_p6ok0u.png

The numbered parts (red) are what makes this 'interesting' and relate to 'eligiblity'. The text is in Dutch, but I will provide rough translation.
  2. We miss you at PS Store, <PSNID>, so here's an extra warm welcome (back gesture). With the personal voucher below you can benefit from 25% extra discount etc.
  3. We would like to make your first purchase ever at/in PlayStation (TM) extra special, <PSNID>. That's why we give you 25% extra discount etc.

These appear to be the three reasons why you might get a code, at least for this campaign. Not sure why they should be all in the same email body, or why it doesn't show up in HTML view for me. Also ofcourse it doesn't show more exact conditions such as how long ago your last purchase should have been to be 'missed'. My last purchase was mid-July. Either way, maybe this was useful or interesting. I'm curious if others will 'discover codes hidden in plain-text'.

That did for me too, thanks People!

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I have never once received a code, bummer. Few things I was thinking of picking up and a code would've solidified the purchase.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have never once received a code, bummer. Few things I was thinking of picking up and a code would've solidified the purchase.

Did you try viewing in plain text like People suggested above, I had a code hiding away after doing that. Now I'm reconsidering some stuff..

Resi2, Ace combat and Tetris Effect are back on the menu for me.....

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
I tried viewing in plain text, but did not get any codes that way. If anyone has a spare code for me, I'd appreciate it!

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
How to view the email in plain text in Outlook from a web browser? "View message source" only shows a bunch of gibberish

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks I LL buy the main game.jusy a question how much of the game we become these tiny characters on the world map ?that part looks Abit silly to me
There is a fair amount of that as you explore but you get fast travel pretty instantly so you can jump around to avoid it when going back to previous locations. I wasn't keen at first but its growing on me (15 hours in) its actually a really fun, charming little game. Its surprised me with how era hates on it

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Same but in Outlook. How do I do it?
How to view the email in plain text in Outlook from a web browser? "View message source" only shows a bunch of gibberish

I tried this method (changing your settings for composing/replying mails to plain text (instead of html) through replying the email in plain text, but did not find any codes myself.

Last edited:

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Pretty sure you only get the 25% if you've never bought anything digitally. My girlfriend and I both have our accounts on our shared PS4 and we only buy games through my primary account. She received the discount code and it clearly says (well in our language) "here's a discount to celebrate your first purchase". I didn't get the code, just the regular sales mail.

Yeah I spend a fair amount of money on PSN and I was sent a code. My girlfriend wasn't. And she barely uses her PS4

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So I missed Doom when it came out, and stupidly decided that I would only buy it once it was under 20ā‚¬.

Started it yesterday and I'm really a fool this game is worth 60ā‚¬ even today. Soooo good. Oh well at least I got it cheap and it will last me untill NMS VR :)

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I can't believe it actually worked. No code in the regular e-mail but it's there in plain text. Really weird.

Thanks people!

EDIT: So I just found that Spiderman went back to full price yesterday. That was the only game I wanted to buy :(

Last edited:

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck, this is really worked! Shame that Days Gone and SOTC no longer have a discount.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark

EDIT/INSERT: Good to see this 'is working' for some, unfortunately not for others. Keep in mind, this 'workaround' doesn't magically create codes if they weren't there. General terms and conditions apply, as well as more or less arbitrary conditions when it comes to eligibility (see bottom).

For those with questions about how to read/view emails in plain-text, I can only give some very general suggestions if your email app/client or service doesn't provide you with a straightforward option to simply 'view in plain-text'. In my opinion that's one of the most basic features/functionalities, but that's probably because I'm too old-fashioned. I use Thunderbird to handle most of my email needs and plain-text view is my default. Note that 'view source' or 'view original' is probably not what you are looking for and will most likely present you blocks of Base64-encoded output.

These are some things you can try when your email client/app or service doesn't seem to offer an easy/direct way to 'view plain-text'. (apart from using a client/app/service that does)

Dowload or save the email as .eml (this is probably the standard/default in most cases).
  • Find a way to view the .eml file. The easiest way, that should probably work most of the time is to Open the .eml in a modern webbrowser (such as Chrome, Brave, Firefox, I explicitly know nothing about Safari). If that doesn't work, or isn't something you can or want to do there are probably so called 'eml viewers' available on the internet. I have no experience with any of those and as such cannot recommend any of them. In other words, if you want to go that route, make sure do your own research before you download and install programs or apps, or upload your files to 'online converters'.
  • Alternatively, you can try to convert the .eml file to something readable like a .txt or .PDF file. The same applies here, I am not recommending any program or website that lets you do that. However, a decent PDF viewer/creator/editor will most likely let you do this. (this could also be why a webbrowser works, because most have also a PDF-viewer built-in)
psnicd2519_akvkb2.png

psnicd2519_b4ej7p.png

psnicd2519_p6ok0u.png

+EDIT: Added some 'not-quite-instructions' on how to actually view email in plain-text + disclaimers.

Holy shit, thanks for this! Just checked and theres one hidden in my mail as well. I wonder how many I have missed because of this.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Also since that some discounts end on August 15, I guess there gonna be another wave of offers?

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017

Omg, this worked for me as well. Thanks so much for the tip! This is so stupid though :D why they hide it if they generated a valid one?
I would buy more games on sale if they just sent it to me like to normal human being...

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a fair amount of that as you explore but you get fast travel pretty instantly so you can jump around to avoid it when going back to previous locations. I wasn't keen at first but its growing on me (15 hours in) its actually a really fun, charming little game. Its surprised me with how era hates on it
lol i bought the prince edition . i m weak lol . havent started yet. 4 dollars for all the DLCs was just too good of a deal to pass up on. will start the game after my holidays in 3 weeks :D its my first of these type of games. and 21$ for everything was just no brainer to start the game

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
lol i bought the prince edition . i m weak lol . havent started yet. 4 dollars for all the DLCs was just too good of a deal to pass up on. will start the game after my holidays in 3 weeks :D its my first of these type of games. and 21$ for everything was just no brainer to start the game
I did the same at that price ha ha.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Gƶteborg
Seemed like i missed this because im not signed up to the newsletter?

If anyone got a spare i be mighty interested, i am on EU PSN if that matters.

people

Oct 27, 2017
Question, since I haven't received the mail myself at all... If you use the "Online bekijken" (view online) button, does it generate a new code in the web version?
The first two screenshots I posted are taken from the 'online version' displayed in Chrome. As far as I can see there is no reference anywhere to the/any code itself or the text that goes with it when 'Inspecting' the HTML source for example. Rather there are 3 consecutive empty comments <!-- --> roughly where the marked entries that include the code in the 3rd (plain-text) screenshot are. Plus a fourth that mentions the various countries etc at/near the bottom that you can't see on that screenshot.

So to answer: The webversion of the email doesn't appear any different from the HTML view in Thunderbird, and neither seem to contain a code, also not on further inspection.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
The first two screenshots I posted are taken from the 'online version' displayed in Chrome. As far as I can see there is no reference anywhere to the/any code itself or the text that goes with it when 'Inspecting' the HTML source for example. Rather there are 3 consecutive empty comments <!-- --> roughly where the marked entries that include the code in the 3rd (plain-text) screenshot are. Plus a fourth that mentions the various countries etc at/near the bottom that you can't see on that screenshot.

So to answer: The webversion of the email doesn't appear any different from the HTML view in Thunderbird, and neither seem to contain a code, also not on further inspection.
Well, shame. Thanks for the extra explanation.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
You enjoying the game ? Are you into jrpg? I m not into jrpg but this seems more action oriented combat wise so it appealed to me
I am and I am though I am fussy about them. Its definitely action based combat though its pretty easy on normal. Its got basic town building and weird strategy battles as well. I mostly like the art, music and voice acting though, I just find the game really adorable.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am and I am though I am fussy about them. Its definitely action based combat though its pretty easy on normal. Its got basic town building and weird strategy battles as well. I mostly like the art, music and voice acting though, I just find the game really adorable.
Sounds good to me .thanks for the help. There is first for everything hehe. Will let you know next month how I like it . I feel I LL love it cause music artbstyle and combat is very important to me