• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
The European Union threatened retaliatory tariffs on $294 billion of U.S. exports if the U.S. imposes tariffs on cars and car parts from the EU, Reuters reported.

The EU sent a submission to the U.S. Commerce Department on Friday claiming tariffs on EU automobiles could increase costs for manufacturers in the U.S.

The submission comes as the Commerce Department investigates automobile imports to the U.S.

The EU submission also reports a 25 percent tariff could have a $13–14 billion negative impact on U.S. gross domestic product, Reuters reported.

According to the report, the EU exported $43.6 billion worth of cars to the U.S. last year, while approximately $7.2 billion worth of cars went from the U.S. to the European bloc.

Trump has slapped billions of dollars' worth of tariffs on a number of countries in recent weeks, including tariffs on steel and aluminum from the EU.

He said in an interview on Sunday that the European Union "is possibly as bad as China, just smaller" when it comes to trade practices.

"It's terrible what they do to us," Trump said in an interview with Fox News. "Take a look at the car situation. They send their Mercedes in, we can't send our cars in."

Trump last month tweeted the U.S. will place a 20 percent tariff on EU cars coming to the U.S. "if [EU] Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed."

Based on the Tariffs and Trade Barriers long placed on the U.S. & its great companies and workers by the European Union, if these Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed, we will be placing a 20% Tariff on all of their cars coming into the U.S. Build them here!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 23, 2018
"Cars is a big deal. This is a much bigger deal than steel," David Henig, a former trade negotiator who worked on trade talks with the U.S., told CNN.

Source

Don't forget guys "trade wars are good and easy to win" *cough*

Oct 27, 2017
Watching SC, AL, and TN squirm while they try to appear on Trump's team, while trying not to overtly piss off major foreign employers will be fun. And by fun I mean stupid and hilarious.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Trump will just levy eleventy billion in tariffs next.

It's all about the appearance of winning.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Cecilia Malmström to Trump:
giphy.gif

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
US cars are shit Donald, that's the cause of the discrepancies you dick.

I hope the EU does it.

ryul2

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Watching SC, AL, and TN squirm while they try to appear on Trump's team, while trying not to overtly piss off major foreign employers will be fun. And by fun I mean stupid and hilarious.

don't worry, they won't blame trump (see I think the nail factory, I think it was-feel free to correct me if i'm remembering wrong that got hit hard by tariffs)

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Very good. Never give in to bullies. The only (albeit small) chance they will learn is if it hurts enough.
Of course they'll blame everyone but themselves first.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
" Trump said in an interview with Fox News. "Take a look at the car situation. They send their Mercedes in, we can't send our cars in."
Wait. Isn't that just supply and demand? Are EU actively stopping the export of US cars of US car manufacturers?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
"It's terrible what they do to us," Trump said in an interview with Fox News. "Take a look at the car situation. They send their Mercedes in, we can't send our cars in."

Because Europeans are dying to own shitty American cars over Mercedes and other foreign manufacturers.

By this line of thinking, we should be lucky that Trump hasn't decided to add a fee to our yearly registration for owning a foreign vehicle. Not that I want to give that assclown any ideas.

Oct 27, 2017
don't worry, they won't blame trump (see I think the nail factory, I think it was-feel free to correct me if i'm remembering wrong that got hit hard by tariffs)

That's the thing, the elected goobers can't serve two masters here, because the foreign companies aren't going to hold their tongue about what/ who is pushing the tariffs. So the elected goobers will either need to ignore Trump's eventual tweets against Mercedes et al, or join in on the bashing.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For a businessman he seems to struggle with the basics. It's not a given that if US folks want to buy European cars European folks will have matching demand for US cars.

Maybe, just maybe, the EU cars have a higher base demand for example? Maybe more people want a BMW or an Audi or a Mercedes than the US alternatives.

Personally I really don't think the RoW is backing down here. Not to Trump. The stupid guy's made it too public and too hard a push for other countries to back down currently. Also by picking fights with everyone he's making it easy for each country to feel it's part of an group aligned against him and also allowing each country to consider working together to avoid trade with US by going to other locations instead.

Trump's view that the "big company" beats down the little guys to get favorable deals in one direction is hopelessly out of date for international trade between countries and it completely disregards culture and political relations. Fallout of making a half baked businessman born with a silver spoon in his mouth with zero political skills President I guess.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Trump's an idiot, has he thought about what he does about a company like FCA? You know...the Italian company incorporated in the Netherlands which owns Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler?

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I appreciate Trump completely dismantling the US economy and thus hopefully bringing a permanent end to US imperialism, I also cannot shake the somewhat obvious feeling that Russia is behind literally all of this and is just waiting for the opportunity to take over exactly where the US left off, but even more aggressively due to not being separated geographically from potential countries to invade. Really hope the people and even corporations of the US wake up and shut everything down by striking, refusing to go to work and protesting in all major cities 24/7 until literally no one can afford to keep Trump on his would-be throne a second longer and he is forced to step down or jailed.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Because Europeans are dying to own shitty American cars over Mercedes and other foreign manufacturers.

By this line of thinking, we should be lucky that Trump hasn't decided to add a fee to our yearly registration for owning a foreign vehicle. Not that I want to give that assclown any ideas.

Isn't it basically Ford's cars built/designed in Europe that do decently well in Europe? GM sold their European brands (Opel) to Groupe PSA.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Wait. Isn't that just supply and demand? Are EU actively stopping the export of US cars of US car manufacturers?

Ironically the ford fiesta is quite a popular car in Europe. Also, outside of the states no one would pick a Lincoln or Caddy over any German brand luxury car lmao. I know I certainly wouldn't

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I appreciate Trump completely dismantling the US economy and thus hopefully bringing a permanent end to US imperialism, I also cannot shake the somewhat obvious feeling that Russia is behind literally all of this and is just waiting for the opportunity to take over exactly where the US left off, but even more aggressively due to not being separated geographically from potential countries to invade. Really hope the people and even corporations of the US wake up and shut everything down by striking, refusing to go to work and protesting in all major cities 24/7 until literally no one can afford to keep Trump on his would-be throne a second longer and he is forced to step down or jailed.
The thing is, while Russia would benefit, the country has neither the military nor economic power to take over.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm just glad that like the master tactician he is, that he opened up the war on many fronts at the same time.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the closest to an actual "barrier" is/was regulation regarding pollution. Then again, not even EU manufacturers care too much about those. ( *cough* Volkswagen *coughing because of nitrous gases cough*)

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Are EU actively stopping the export of US cars of US car manufacturers?
They aren't but nobody wants these huge american cars, that's why Ford for example sells different models in Europe. And actually Ford has been succesfull at that because if you can believe it: Even in Europe there are people who can't afford Mercedes or even Volkswagen and Ford cars are cheaper.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
russia is not in a good enough place economically to do that. the ukraine campaign and subsequent sanctions nearly broke them economically

if anyone's going to move in as world leader, it's china, as scary a prospect as it sounds

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
russia is not in a good enough place economically to do that. the ukraine campaign and subsequent sanctions nearly broke them economically

if anyone's going to move in as world leader, it's china, as scary a prospect as it sounds
Correct, was about to post the same thing.
China is the one who will benefit in the end.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is meeting the Dutch prime minister in two hours or so. Should be an interesting meeting.