• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
The US economy has been growing fairly robustly, however, I think it is likely the impact of the tariffs hasn't hit yet. Most tarrifs have been small in nature and targeted unimportant industries.

You also have to understand that the US has a position of privilege over most countries it is slapping tarrifs on. Their is a very real likelyhood that the US will be able to find alternative sources for those goods, either from domestic or other international suppliers. Even if none exist, given the size and technical capabilities of the US economy, developing domestic alternatives is probably feasible... just no where near ideal.

Most tarrifs from other countries either haven't or just have started going in effect yesterday. Everyone else is following rules

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully the EU can push forward all those trade agreements with other countries. It's the correct thing to treat the US harshly, but on a global scale we need more trade, not less.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The people wanting this to happen have little grasp on global economies. Nobody should WANT any of these tariffs nor continued escalation.

Also, these these tariffs hurt the EU far worse than they hurt the US, so wanting them to happen to spite Trump is stupid - especially considering the majority hurt on both sides are the citizens.

I want these retaliatory tariffs to happen, not because I want a crisis, but in fact to prevent one. Congressional Republicans are slowly realizing they're going to have to take away Trump's power to implement tariffs, and every one that's added drives the point a little further. That's literally the only way all these are going to be lifted, because Trump will never back down. He's too stupid to ever admit he was wrong.

When that finally happens, we can all have a doubly nice day. First, in relief that this particular bit of the nightmare is over. And then, we can enjoy Trump's toddler tantrum as well.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
How hard would it be to find out how many and what kind of cars the Trump family owns?

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
If Trump goes through with tariffs on cars/car industry, we are all fucked. EU will retaliate, because they must, which will damage all parties even further. Global recession in 2019 if these tariffs happen imo.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the foreign car tariffs really have Europe spooked, especially Germany. I can see why they are attempting to deter Trump. Unfortunately I don't think those threats work on him. He cares about nothing but how strong he appears.

Oct 25, 2017
The US economy has been growing fairly robustly, however, I think it is likely the impact of the tariffs hasn't hit yet. Most tarrifs have been small in nature and targeted unimportant industries.

You also have to understand that the US has a position of privilege over most countries it is slapping tarrifs on. Their is a very real likelyhood that the US will be able to find alternative sources for those goods, either from domestic or other international suppliers. Even if none exist, given the size and technical capabilities of the US economy, developing domestic alternatives is probably feasible... just no where near ideal.

The other countries are actually playing the game way better than Trump.

The USA will not get steel for all their crucial industries somewhere else nor domestic to stay competive

Meanwhile the EU tariffs will affect nothing within the EU while they are essential threats for all the hit industries

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
The people wanting this to happen have little grasp on global economies. Nobody should WANT any of these tariffs nor continued escalation.

Also, these these tariffs hurt the EU far worse than they hurt the US, so wanting them to happen to spite Trump is stupid - especially considering the majority hurt on both sides are the citizens.
How is this going to hurt Europe worse than the United States? It's not just Europe placing tariffs on the United States. I would say the US has far far more to lose.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Can't wait for the Trump tweet about how horseshit the MH17 investigation is. Watch him tweet about it.

Narrator voice : He doesn't even know what MH17 is also i saw on our dutch new website, rutte is not even going to talk about it..those grieving family's waiting years now for vindication and yet it still hasn't happened.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Ford canceled them largely because almost nobody in the US wants anything that isn't a truck or SUV anymore. It's not a brand specific issue. Most major brands, from Europe and Asia also also making the shift for the US market. The standard "car" is on life support here.

Ford putting crap transmissions in the Focuses/Fiestas didn't help There's 6 years worth of cars on the market that are tanking people financially and aren't safe to drive.

I was stuck with one of those turds (had its transmission replaced twice under 78,000 miles). Took about a $5,600 hit to get rid of the piece of shit.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like I said before even Canada is putting tariffs up now, not even on the US, to protect its steel and aluminum companies, even though if Trump had never done so they wouldn't have had to. The tariffs cause an increase in supply which forces prices down, putting a lot of businesses in jeopardy. So this whole thing is just going to domino against everyone and will be very difficult to reverse even once Trump is out.

Trade War Expanding? Canada Set To Slap Tariffs On Steel From China And Others, Report Says
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/06/27/trade-war-canada-tariffs-chinese-steel_a_23469581/

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
This is lunacy. It's the states that votes for Trump that are getting fucked.

It is, but since this is Hillary's fault, somehow, they'll just blame her, and continue to thank Trump from trying to protect them from Evil Hillary's legacy. Somehow.

Trump supporters seem to be like that guy punching himself in the face, but screaming somebody else's name to stop doing that.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany controls the EU, Germany is all about cars, their economy is dependent on it. Threatening the German car Industrie is like someone threatening freedom in the US.

lunlunqq

Oct 26, 2017
The US is being isolated. The western alliance is being broken. The entire world order is being disrupted. If this is indeed Putin's design, you got to give it to the guy. He is an evil genius.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if you look at those pick up trucks Americans use, you don't see those about in Europe, it's Toyotas and Mitsubishi. There is a few mustangs about but even those are massive in comparison to european cars and more of a midlife crisis purchase.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tariff thing is unique because most of what people hate about Trump are more accurately ascribed to Republican policy and Congress but this is more or less entirely his fault.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
That whole tweet smacks of a highscool education. Trade deficits in themselves aren't bad if your people benefit.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
100% supply and demand. How can anyone expect the Europeans to want American cars when even the fucking Americans don't want American cars? Didn't Ford just discontinue every non-SUV/non-truck outside the Mustang in North America because no one wants their shitty Focus?

Technically, that "shitty Focus" was developed in Europe and is one if not the best-selling cars in the world.

The only reason Americans buy American cars is the standard cupholder for 2 Liter bottles...

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Germany controls the EU, Germany is all about cars, their economy is dependent on it. Threatening the German car Industrie is like someone threatening freedom in the US.

Ah, take a break and google where the parts of the German and other European cars are actually produced. You'll then realise why Europe as a whole is in full retaliation mode.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically, that "shitty Focus" was developed in Europe and is one if not the best-selling cars in the world.

The only reason Americans buy American cars is the standard cupholder for 2 Liter bottles...

I think the Ford Fiesta is the best selling Ford in the EU nowadays, probably top five in sales overall... it is also made in Cologne.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, take a break and google where the parts of the German and other European cars are actually produced. You'll then realise why Europe as a whole is in full retaliation mode.
I know full and well that most cars build by German car manufacturers wich are sold in the US are actually made in the US. Doesn't change a thing in regards to my post - threatening Germans cars is a sure way to get fucked with whatever the EU can throw at you.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I know full and well that most cars build by German car manufacturers wich are sold in the US are actually made in the US. Doesn't change a thing in regards to my post - threatening Germans cars is a sure way to get fucked with whatever the EU can throw at you.

That's not my point. I was referring to car parts. Only very few of them are made in Germany. A lot of German OEMs buy parts produced in Eastern and South European countries. And of course Italy and France have a strong automotive industry, too. This is why Trump's plan to directly attack "German cars" like Mercedes - probably hoping he could isolate Germany within the EU - backfired.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if, at some point, he'll either delete that, or simply claim he never said or wrote it, and insist he's always believed trade wars are bad, and complex and difficult situations. And his supporters will then, by reflex, be unable to read that tweet, even if you show it to their faces because their brains will self-delete the incriminating text from their vision?

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not my point. I was referring to car parts. Only very few of them are made in Germany. A lot of German OEMs buy parts produced in Eastern and South European countries. And of course Italy and France have a strong automotive industry, too. This is why Trump's plan to directly attack "German cars" like Mercedes - probably hoping he could isolate Germany within the EU - backfired.
That's true.