• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Let's put cosplay aside for a second here since there are no special rules that govern it.

If you alter the color of your skin to appear darker in any way, that's called ____face. If you're trying to be black for fun, it's blackface, If you're trying to be asian for fun, it's yellowface.
If you're a casting director and the script calls for a character named Allison Ng, and you cast Emma Stone, you are whitewashing the role.
I understand now. Thanks for the clarification

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, the other scandal is that this cosplayer actually won the French cosplay championship with this costume, and no one batted an eye in France. The costume had to go to the European championship for someone to actually realize "Err, guys, maybe this costume isn't okay".

The organizer of the French championship is actually still supporting the cosplayer even now.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The suit is well made but people need to realize you don't need to wear a skin suit or change your skin color to cosplay as a black character.
They already know it's wrong.

But.
0OdhrQI.gif

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
You know, the other scandal is that this cosplayer actually won the French cosplay championship with this costume, and no one batted an eye in France. The costume had to go to the European championship for someone to actually realize "Err, guys, maybe this costume isn't okay".

The organizer of the French championship is actually still supporting the cosplayer.
I wouldn't say it's a scandal as I'm not surprised it took this hitting a more international stage for someone to actually take a step back and use their brain for at least 2 seconds.

That they are actively supporting her is also not surprising and expected.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's blackface. And seeing her double down with her response to this whole thing all the more makes the actions against her justified.

Not even the first time an Eastern European cosplayer did this and completely did not see why it's so fucked up.

"I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, I SUCCEEDED!"

I guess the ban hammer is strong on this one... So perhaps this is suicide.
But the idea that I can't buy a mickey mouse costume without worrying about being racist is frightening. Especially with Halloween coming up. I'm not white...

I don't know much about the cosplayer. The suit is amazing. Kudos for that I guess.

Mickey Mouse? Come on man.

Or shit, a POC cosplaying as a white character, you never see them painting their skin to look white. Funny how that works out.

LOL for real, you never catch us painting our asses for cosplay.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I never understood the weird bargaining that goes on in these threads. "Can i wear blackface on a second tuesday, after mlk day". Folks need to stop trying to find loopholes and start having empathy

Gotta have the 'whataboutisms' and the 'well let me play the combination game to see if I can unlock the ability to wear blackface'

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
You know what's the worst thing is this inexcusable shit that'll get defended. And the fact like what happened a while back will still go on. I remember this black cosplayer was constantly harassed in FB comments cause she dressed as chun-li or something similar and hit with all kinds of racial shit and how she can't be that anime or video game character cause she's not white/asian.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow that thread... i see people forging opinion and getting ban left and right, for fuck sake ERA, calm your mods

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normal people: painting yourself black is racist, my guy.
Racist dickheads: BUT I SUPPOSE THIS IS OK
ElatedCoordinatedArmyant-size_restricted.gif
?!?!?!?
Dead bodies everywhere, lmao. I wish we still had the red tags for bannings.....
Yeah, i wish they were still red, because it made them easier to read and notice when scrolling.

I don't understand why they're not, as other official posts are. (if it's been explained why before, then i apologise)
Wow that thread... i see people forging opinion and getting ban left and right, for fuck sake ERA, calm your mods
giphy.gif

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad the first page is a graveyard. Lets stop fucking entertianing this stupid bullshit. You defend this, take a long break and maybe evaluate your opinions. 0 tolerance.

Mio

Oct 16, 2018
I'm not a big fan of cosplay in general.

I have some issues understanding her costume. Is that a full body suit?
Is the face a mask?

The costume looks expensive but... anyone could wear it right?

What's the point of wearing a full body costume of a character that shows skin?

I understand if you want to cosplay as a robot or as Iron Man, or maybe a monster (A big ork, a skeleton, a Diablo-like demon).

And regarding the blackface... Better safe than sorry.
If you know that can be offensive, better avoiding it.

Even if you think you are not in the wrong, a good reaction would be acknowledging the issue, accepting being disqualified and apologize.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit at this thread.

2019 and white folk still love their blackface this much, huh?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I am a little thrown by the specific form of this. Unless I'm mistaken, this seems less like putting on another character's costume and more like a mascot costume, where the person is totally encased and they aren't trying to dress up their own flesh as that of another person's ethnicity.

Of course, if this was Mickey Mouse, the situation would be totally different in that there's no culture or ethnicity to appropriate there. There are no actual cartoon mice to be hurt. But I'm trying to imagine a white person in, say, a full body Mowgli costume and wonder how I'd feel about that.

(P.S.: I typed this out and then I look up and someone is actually pretending Mickey Mouse would be offensive. The hell is wrong with you, my guy.)

Ultimately it's not my place to forgive this one. It's a concern for a different people with a different history, and I certainly imagine that blackface has had a larger scale and impact than brownface and similar things targeting other ethnic groups, so the gravitas is larger. Claims of authenticity have also been historically used as cheap excuses for minstrelsy so it's understandable that some people might not view the specific details of the implementation as important.

While I'm tempted to imagine my own feelings in an approximate equivalent situation, my feelings don't matter here in the first place and the analogies wouldn't be the same.

What does jump out at me, though, is the dismissive response. I feel like that much is universal. Hindsight being 20/20, if I was in the position where I wanted to make this costume, I'd want to at least want ask people what they thought was appropriate. Scoffing at the legitimate concerns and saying you don't care about those people is just demonstrating selfishness and apathy.

If this was that different situation and it was a brownface costume, I'd probably impressed with the quality of the costume and not immediately think to be personally insulted with it. If they had that same thing to say about the complaints of others, though, that would probably remove any desire I might have had to defend her.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Its a long standing issue and the graveyard of threads is a testament to that.
I guess I shouldn't throw the entire community in together, especially since these threads are moderated well.

For fucks sakes though. It's like people are falling over each other to throw their accounts away, and to defend this bullshit wtf.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I shouldn't throw the entire community in together, especially since these threads are moderated well.

For fucks sakes though. It's like people are falling over each other to throw their accounts away, and to defend this bullshit wtf.

It is sort of a community issue, considering this isn't the first thread on blackface and not in the least the first graveyard from bans defending/excusing it'

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Help me understand.

Are we saying that cosplaying any character that's of a race other than our own is wrong?

Should she have race-swapped the character for her cosplay? I'm trying to understand how this character can be cosplayed by anyone who isn't Black.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It is sort of a community issue, considering this isn't the first thread on blackface and not in the least the first graveyard from bans defending/excusing it'
Hell not even the worst.

Help me understand.

Are we saying that cosplaying any character that's of a race other than our own is wrong?

Should she have race-swapped the character for her cosplay? I'm trying to understand how this character can be cosplayed by anyone who isn't Black.
You can cosplay anyone you like, just don't change your skin color. Colored folk do it all the time. Its about having fun with a costume.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Hell not even the worst.

You can cosplay anyone you like, just don't change your skin color. Colored folk do it all the time. Its about having fun with a costume.
This is a full bodysuit, thought. Should she have race-swapped the character and changed his skin color for the bodysuit?

That seems more offensive, tbh. Lightening one of the already very few characters of color.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this phrase come up a lot recently, and it's really stuck with me.

Intent does not negate impact.

This is important to remember for myself as a white person of extreme privilege. I rarely have to question intent. But people of color and minorities often have to do this every single day of their lives. So even the best intentions can have a negative impact on those who do not live with the privilege to question someone's "good intentions". It's not my call on whether or not I can consider this costume right or wrong.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Seeing the comments implying this wasn't blackface, for some reason I was assuming it was gonna be less cut and dry, but then I looked at the pictures and yep, that's blackface. In what world is that somehow NOT?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not really sure how this is debatable. Pretty clear blackface even if it's an astonishing level of detail.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
So, in this regard, you're saying people shouldn't cosplay characters with non-human proportions outside their race?
If you cosplay an actual human demographic, you have to answer to that demographic.

If you cosplay as a Thri-Kreen, you have to answer to giant praying mantis people. As there are none of those, you're good.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Have to disagree on that score. These threads are not modded well, at all.
Help me understand.

MX8xmIE.gif

DO. NOT. PAINT. YOURSELF. BLACK OR BROWN. FOR. YOUR. COSPLAY.

DO. YOU. UNDERSTAND ? OR DO YOU NEED IT EXPLAINED WITH A FUCKING DIAGRAM ?

Seeing the comments implying this wasn't blackface, for some reason I was assuming it was gonna be less cut and dry, but then I looked at the pictures and yep, that's blackface. In what world is that somehow NOT?
Because racists.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So, in this regard, you're saying people shouldn't cosplay characters with non-human proportions outside their race?
people shouldn't make skin suits of people of other races, yes

"but it isn't black shoe polish, it's a $15,000 full latex bodysuit darkened to look like a fictional black character."

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
If you cosplay an actual human demographic, you have to answer to that demographic.

That's not how it works. Considering the amount of white characters vs black characters in fiction, black people, indian people, asian people, whatever skin color is not white would be hard pressed to cosplay as anything. Cosplay should be as inclusive as possible. It's a matter of responsibility and sensitivity. It's not about not being allowed to cosplay Pyke as a white person. It's about not representing yourself as black when you're not and not treating an ethnicity as a costume.

Lots of people still don't think blackface is that big a deal or that it's offensive. It's mostly because it doesn't affect YOU personally. Try to look at it from another perspective than yours, it's not that hard. Like, fuck would you slant your eyes if you cosplayed Bakugo or Ichigo? Come on.