• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
There's a good article from a few years back that I think accurately touches the heart of this issue.

The cosplayer may not have dressed up with an intent to be racist or hurtful, but it is deeply rooted in racism, intentional or not.

I think it is super important to emphasize that skin tone is not part of a costume. No, it isn't ok to alter your skin tone in a bid to be "authentic".

If you're white and want to cosplay Pyke, that's cool. Just don't change your skin color in a bid to be "authentic".

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this kind of thing reminds me of that black cosplayer that received some shit for daring to cosplay characters that aren't black.

like, if she doesn't feel the need to white her skin "to look more like the character", why white cosplayers feel the need to dark theirs??

is not hard people.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
"I want something that I can't have but am going to take it anyway" is the very definition of Entitlement. If you're white, don't dress as a black character. It doesn't matter that it's done out of respect and appreciation. Don't do it. Good intentions are irrelevant. Try again in 100 years, when maybe society has moved past the history we're dealing with now. Today, though, just No.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really defending anything, I just think the thread has run its course at this point. What more can, actually, be said outside of "it's blackface, she deserved it"?

I don't think that's fair. This is clearly a different approach to cosplay that all the banned individuals could not wrap their heads around is still blackface. It's clear many still don't understand that blackface is not exclusive to painting your actual face black. It will always be worth a discussion and if you actually want to learn, no one is here telling the others to go fuck themselves. Instead we take our time to educate because it matters. Closing it so it disappears in the pages of ERA accomplishes nothing.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I want something that I can't have but am going to take it anyway" is the very definition of Entitlement. If you're white, don't dress as a black character. It doesn't matter that it's done out of respect and appreciation. Don't do it. Good intentions are irrelevant. Try again in 100 years, when maybe society has moved past the history we're dealing with now. Today, though, just No.

i dont think this is it either...

Dec 11, 2017
I've only worn masks of white political figures, but are masks of non-white political figures inherently racist? I'm asking sincerely.
yWHshQD.jpg

Ghostie

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2019
I feel like people get a high off causing problems when they can easily skirt around them.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I didn't know it was a costume at first, I had no idea how she made the muscles. The costume itself is impressive.

But yes, full body costume or not, it's still blackface.

I don't get it, League has so many white characters, just choose one of those. Do a full body Garen costume.

Rue

Oct 27, 2017
She is still making a costume to become a black person. She is still changing her skin to become black.

If a black person did it then obviously it would be ok right? As they black.

I think the biggest thing people are missing from this is that: regardless of the method being used (bodysuit vs paint) the end result is still the same and should be treated as such. It's racist.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I don't think that's fair. This is clearly a different approach to cosplay that all the banned individuals could not wrap their heads around is still blackface. It's clear many still don't understand that blackface is not exclusive to painting your actual face black. It will always be worth a discussion and if you actually want to learn, no one is here telling the others to go fuck themselves. Instead we take our time to educate because it matters. Closing it so it disappears in the pages of ERA accomplishes nothing.

I think that's a fair reason for reopening it, but 2 things hold it back, to me at least:

The people that would need to read it are banned. Some of whom only posted once in the thread, early on.

If the penalty for attempting to present an opposing opinion is met with a ban, then no one is going to bother engaging in the other half of the discussion and it just becomes one side talking to itself. Without anything new to discuss with, what more can be added that hasn't already been said?

I don't get it, League has so many white characters, just choose one of those. Do a full body Garen costume.

Garen is so laaaaaame tho; at least do Darius. Considering I presume Pike is her fave champ, I dislike the notion of just picking a different one just because her race doesn't match. If that were the case, there wouldn't have been any nonwhite/asian cosplayers in the scene for years because, prior to Lucian, there were literally 2 human champs that fit that description.

If there's one thing I envy about her though, it's that she's small enough to fit into a costume like that at all for her, presumably, fave champ. My black butt is too big to try and squeeze into a Fiora Costume even if I wanted to T~T

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lets keep it simple. Blackface is bad because it's used to mock. The mocking is a part of it. It's also the fact that after the mocking and the racist shit said, they wipe that shit off and go back to their own skin which no one bats an eye at. While the rest of us non-white folk can't do that. We have to carry on with skin color that will people white people feel a type of way.

White girl from France puts on a literal costume of a dark skinned character from a fantasy video game with maybe all the love and care in the world is still perpetuating the above because after the competition, she's going to take it off again. Skin color is not a commodity and it's not a fucking costume. I don't care how clever someone gets about it. You want to look like the character, just do what the character would do and put on their attire and demeanor and accessories. That character didn't reach into their closet and pull out their skin too.

Ok this post really articulates the situation well.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the thread title is not accurate: the organizers did NOT ban the cosplayer. They banned a specific costume due to "blackface", but she is still welcome in the competition if she uses a different costume.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From my understanding this is a full-body costume?

I'm a brown skinned indian fella..... so I've gotta ask.... would I get banned if I wore that?
Would an asian or a latino person get banned for having that costume?

Asking only because for us non-black PoC, the racial lines get real blurry.

Is it that only black people can do a full-body costume of a black character...?
or is that that only white people can't do a full-body costume of a black character?

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Say someone wanted to be this character for Halloween, and they bought a replica mask, but were white, what would we think?

just confuses me.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a brown skinned indian fella..... so I've gotta ask.... would I get banned if I wore that?

Is it that only black people can do a full-body costume of a black character...?
or is that that only white people can't do a full-body costume of a black character?
It's real simple. Don't turn yourself black for fun.

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permenant): Defending blackface; account in junior phase
The users getting banned for perfectly valid opinions is disgusting. This site has become a totalitarian group think ran by some truly awful mods.

Prepared for a ban on this opinion because remember folks, you have to have the RIGHT opinion to post on Resetera!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Their point is that their skin is brown, like Pyke.

The line becomes more blurry because this is a body suit. Anyone can where it. Would a brown person wearing it be ok considering Pyke is more brown skinned than dark skinned.
the body suit is just another way to change the color of your skin for fun. Remember that maui costume?

Same problem. The armor is distinctive enough that you shouldn't need a makeup or other way to alter your skin to achieve an award-winning look.

Oct 25, 2017

The line becomes more blurry because this is a body suit. Anyone can where it. Would a brown person wearing it be ok considering Pyke is more brown skinned than dark skinned.
but there was no need to do it at all, what he's wearing is very distinct, anybody paying attention would have known who she was

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

I never understood the weird bargaining that goes on in these threads. "Can i wear blackface on a second tuesday, after mlk day". Folks need to stop trying to find loopholes and start having empathy

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The users getting banned for perfectly valid opinions is disgusting. This site has become a totalitarian group think ran by some truly awful mods.

Prepared for a ban on this opinion because remember folks, you have to have the RIGHT opinion to post on Resetera!
so many brave freedom of speech martyrs on this topic alone.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

best to avoid going full body and just leave your skin as is or if you want fake muscles or something get it in the color of your skin. If you have the skin color of a black character then you're fine as long as you don't try to add their features or stereotypical black features.

I have some african roots but I know where to stop. Like for example if I were to cosplay Lucio from Overwatch, I wouldn't get fake dreads as my hair isn't that curly. I would just high ponytail it up and definitely wouldn't alter my skin to be darker even though I'm not white.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think this is the largest amount of bans handed out in a single thread I've seen.

"Blackface" is not literal. Painting your skin a darker color still falls under the definition. Making a full body suit as a "loophole" for blackface is a little bit disturbing to say the least.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's real simple. Don't turn yourself black for fun.
I'm not "turning myself" into anything.

I am brown skinned. My skin tone isn't exactly the same as the character, but pretty similar.
Would I be banned for wearing a full-body costume? (and on the flipside, am I "turning myself white" for a whiteskinned character?)

or am I required to paint the skin of the costume to match my own skin?

I feel like the fundamental fix is that full-body costumes should just be banned from these conventions.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

This seems like a weird take.

A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would technically be more accurate.
A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would be inappropriate and offensive to many.

Both of these statements are true, aren't they?

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
No I understand that if a brown person wanted to just wear the armor that's perfectly fine. I'm talking about this particular case where a skin suit is used.

Is the answer here just not to make skin suit cosplays, regardless of anything. Because that's the direction I'm leaning in.

This is an edge case that's not so simple dark skinned people because it's a suit.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's blackface. And seeing her double down with her response to this whole thing all the more makes the actions against her justified.

Not even the first time an Eastern European cosplayer did this and completely did not see why it's so fucked up.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not "turning myself" into anything.

I am brown skinned. My skin tone isn't exactly the same as the character, but pretty similar.
Would I be banned for wearing a full-body costume? (and on the flipside, am I "turning myself white" for a whiteskinned character?)

or am I required to paint the skin of the costume to match my own skin?

I feel like the fundamental fix is that full-body costumes should just be banned from these conventions.
If you're already brown skinned why make a full body suit of brown skin.

I don't understand the basic premise of your hypothetical.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a weird take.

A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would technically be more accurate.
A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would be inappropriate and offensive to many.

Both of these statements are true, aren't they?
First your cosplay relays on you smearing shit on you, then you already doing wrong. Second it is never an acturate skin tone, it always look like a person smeared shit all over themselves

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
For clarity, you are saying a mask of a non-white political figure always mocks the person AND their race. If a person who isn't Chinese wore a President Xi mask, that's a racist act.

Regardless of if you're mocking the person's or their race, people are realistically gonna inherently assume there's racism involved if your wearing an mask mocking an Obama caricature. That may not be what you intend but it's what most people would take away from it.

What valid opinions, it's blackface. Even a child knows blackface is wrong.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
If you're already brown skinned why make a full body suit of brown skin.

I don't understand the basic premise of your hypothetical.
Like I said earlier it could be to emulate musculature and body proportions that are otherwise impossible.

The premise is they want to wear the suit but are not sure if they are allowed despite the skin tone being similar.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
are they banning her for wearing that costume because of her skin colour? can someone with a darker skin colour, a friend of hers maybe, wear that costume instead so it can be allowed again? then she can just wear something else instead. she can still win for both suits.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said earlier it could be to emulate musculature and body proportions that are otherwise impossible.

The premise is they want to wear the suit but are not sure if they are allowed despite the skin tone being similar.
It's possible to emulate musculature without completely altering the tone of your skin. The notion that "but I want to be 100% their skin tone" won't fly in the face of centuries of racist buffoonery. Dress like your favorite video game characters all you like. Put on fake muscles and wear the cool bandana across the mouth. But don't go full on MCU crossover with Al Jolson it isn't needed.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
First your cosplay relays on you smearing shit on you, then you already doing wrong. Second it is never an acturate skin tone, it always look like a person smeared shit all over themselves

Don't disagree with any of that. My point is that trying to go to war with accuracy just muddies the waters because the idea of something being "accurate or not" isn't a clear-cut thing. Saying "That's offensive and inappropriate" seems more effective to me than "That isn't more accurate".