• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Weird blackface apologia going on. "What if I wore blackface for an accurate costume?" How many white people cosplay as anime characters and nobody bats an eye?

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It really is pretty easy. I'm brown skinned and I KNOW wearing a costume that turns me black is wrong. If I wanted to cosplay as Shaft, I'd wear a trench coat, black shades and yell "It's my duty to please that booty" every 20 seconds. It's that simple, you don't need to match the race.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know who these people are trying to cosplay as, they need to get their makeup game together

tumblr_pn2xvdDoTk1rs0wm9_500.jpg

tumblr_pm15y4BEkc1rs0wm9_500.jpg

tumblr_pk6pigfehu1rztdgoo3_540.png

tumblr_pgyjptnPTv1rztdgoo1_500.png

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're already brown skinned why make a full body suit of brown skin.

I don't understand the basic premise of your hypothetical.
That's an odd statement...
same reason why anyone would wear bodysuits. making a costume hyperaccurate. not everyone has muscles.

and also, based on this thread, wearing a bodysuit of my own skin-colour is actually the safest bodysuit i can wear.
(which is probably more fuel for bodysuit bans)

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Don't disagree with any of that. My point is that trying to go to war with accuracy just muddies the waters because the idea of something being "accurate or not" isn't a clear-cut thing. Saying "That's offensive and inappropriate" seems more effective to me than "That isn't more accurate".
Cause it is the shitty first line of defense people always use to defend this.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Of course not, unless it was the version where you can see his face and she alters her makeup to make her eyes look asian or painted her skin more yellow. Common fucking sense.
I was actually just thinking of another full body cover up that could be considered racist. But your right, probably not unless the skin was altered. More like a Hanzo suit with yellow skin.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf at this thread. People out here defending blackface because the rest of the costume looks good.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've got a costume for Halloween and I'm not wearing blackface as a part of it. It's actually surprisingly easy not to wear blackface, some of you might genuinely be surprised.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Cause it is the shitty first line of defense people always use to defend this.

That's exactly my point; why even humour that shit? Debating accuracy is pointless if it's offensive either way.

I could make my portrayal of Batman more accurate by going around punching anyone dressed as a villain, but nobody would waste even a second of their time entertaining my accuracy argument if I did that.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
I really don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Don't do black face, it has a historical value of mockery. Even when you don black face with benign intentions you are still incidentally invoking that painful history.

The use of the sauwastika isnt done much at all because despite the original message of the symbol, its imagery invokes the history of nazi germany. People who cosplay with that symbol would get shit for it, regardless of the effort they put in their cosplay, regardless of their intentions. Black face is also a symbol but doesnt seem to be perceived as such in these cases.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are they banning her for wearing that costume because of her skin colour? can someone with a darker skin colour, a friend of hers maybe, wear that costume instead so it can be allowed again? then she can just wear something else instead. she can still win for both suits.
This is EuroCosplay, the competitors are the winners of previously held national competitions. So "a friend of hers" can't participate unless they happen to be a champion from another country.

Anyway yes she herself can wear something else, but she is already spent 3000€ on this costume and has already decided to pull out from this competition.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a weird take.

A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would technically be more accurate.
A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would be inappropriate and offensive to many.

Both of these statements are true, aren't they?
It's really simple. DON'T FUCKING MAKE YOURSELF BLACK FOR COSPLAY, OR ANY OTHER SHIT.
The users getting banned for perfectly valid opinions is disgusting. This site has become a totalitarian group think ran by some truly awful mods.

Prepared for a ban on this opinion because remember folks, you have to have the RIGHT opinion to post on Resetera!
Phd9ZuW.gif

It's got nothing to do with a difference of opinion. People's skin colour isn't a fucking costume.

As for the bans, good. In fact i think they're far too lenient. But as is always the case with this forum.
Anyway yes she herself can wear something else, but she is already spent 3000€ on this costume and has already decided to pull out from this competition.
Good. I wish she wasted even more money.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a weird take.

A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would technically be more accurate.
A cosplay where you use makeup or costume to match the skin colour of a person of colour would be inappropriate and offensive to many.

Both of these statements are true, aren't they?
So I'd like to ask you. Why do you think it's more accurate to paint your skin to portray a character who also happens to be, let's say black? What about their black skin makes it essential to be who that character is?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody can wear a body suit and paint their face. Not everybody can be that Black dude who dresses up like Goku with a full grown afro dyed golden blonde and his skin color untouched.

Last edited:

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
User banned (permanent): trolling, account in junior phase
I guess the ban hammer is strong on this one... So perhaps this is suicide.
But the idea that I can't buy a mickey mouse costume without worrying about being racist is frightening. Especially with Halloween coming up. I'm not white...

I don't know much about the cosplayer. The suit is amazing. Kudos for that I guess.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the idea that I can't buy a mickey mouse costume without worrying about being racist is frightening. Especially with Halloween coming up. I'm not white...

I don't know much about the cosplayer. The suit is amazing. Kudos for that I guess.
...Mickey Mouse is black?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So I'd like to ask you. Why do you think it's more accurate to paint your skin to portray a character who also happens to be, let's say black? What about their black skin makes it essential to be who that character is?

From a strictly visual point of view, matching skin colour would make your look more accurate.

I don't believe it's essential or necessary to do so at all, and if you're cosplaying a person of colour, I feel it's offensive, inappropriate and highly inadvisable.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
It's not very hard~~

Don't paint your skin to a real person skin color, espcially if their race has been mistreated or used by current culture.
Because their history and plight is not a toy or thing for you to just use for your own fun.

It is ok to paint green, blue and other "fantasy" or sci-fi, and most character have specific outfit or accessory that just dressing up without painting your skin to another color is enough.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

mickey mouse doesn't present as a human being with an identifiable race he's a cartoon mouse.

there's a gulf between that and a white lady doing this
bomber+2.jpg

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine bringing up Mickey Mouse as a comparison to blackface and thinking you were intelligent for doing so...

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
mickey mouse doesn't present as a human being with an identifiable race he's a cartoon mouse.

there's a gulf between that and a white lady doing this
bomber+2.jpg
I think we need to always remember DC's first black superhero was going to be a white racist that turned into a black man for an hour

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Mickey Mouse is a, um, mouse....not a human being.... Do people usually don blackface when representing Mickey Mouse? No. They literally just put mouse ears on and paint their nose black or put on a foam ball. That's it.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Question: blackface applies for any case where you change your color to look like a black person?

I thought this term was specific to situations when a white person receive the role of black character.
Edit: thanks for the answers

Last edited:

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Is Micky Mouse a real person who is black?

Or did you just compare black people to a fucking cartoon character?

You really can't the difference between the two?

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
The suit is well made but people need to realize you don't need to wear a skin suit or change your skin color to cosplay as a black character.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's also brownface, which is pretty fucked up too. stay away from whiteface too.

but basically the whole changing your appearance to match a different race is pretty much a no-no across the board.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Does that apply to cosplay or to just film and television? Genuinely curious as I'm not entirely informed.
Let's put cosplay aside for a second here since there are no special rules that govern it.

If you alter the color of your skin to appear darker in any way, that's called ____face. If you're trying to be black for fun, it's blackface, If you're trying to be asian for fun, it's yellowface.
If you're a casting director and the script calls for a character named Allison Ng, and you cast Emma Stone, you are whitewashing the role.