• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
It all depends on what someone mean with massive though. Compared to how it was 10-15 years ago, it's indeed a massive increase in Nazi movement here in Sweden.

Clearly there's a movement going on inside the ranks of SD and there's no denying it. It's a safe space for Nazis today since they can always claim to be a part of a 'democratic' party while still expressing their shit. This really isnt a secret either, living in a part of the country where there's a huge SD following I know this first hand.
A massive increase or whatever is still different from a massive Nazi movement, but eh, it doesn't matter too much.

I don't like SD and I have no problems with calling them xenophobic and racist, but Nazi seems a bit too much and too premature. Then again I don't live in a part of the country with a huge SD following so maybe you know more how it is in practice.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
A massive increase or whatever is still different from a massive Nazi movement, but eh, it doesn't matter too much.

I don't like SD and I have no problems with calling them xenophobic and racist, but Nazi seems a bit too much and too premature. Then again I don't live in a part of the country with a huge SD following so maybe you know more how it is in practice.

Yeah it's really sad here. I work in a municipality where more than 40% voted for SD and another 10% for other xenophobic parties while I live in another where it's roughly 20-25%. I'm not calling all 40% nazis, because all of them arent - but I definately hear and see the talks and there's a good sized portion that use nazi rhetoric. But yeah, this is a sidetrack of the initial discussion just wanted to say how it's in some parts of the country at least.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
What is the socially acceptable solution here? Is she not allowed to cosplay the character, period? Wouldn't it be more unacceptable if she made the character white?
Is cosplaying limited to your own ethnicity these days?
Whenever you feel compelled to ask this question. First ask yourself what someone of color would do to cosplay as one of the 99% white characters in all media would do.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's really sad here. I work in a municipality where more than 40% voted for SD and another 10% for other xenophobic parties while I live in another where it's roughly 20-25%. I'm not calling all 40% nazis, because all of them arent - but I definately hear and see the talks and there's a good sized portion that use nazi rhetoric. But yeah, this is a sidetrack of the initial discussion just wanted to say how it's in some parts of the country at least.
All right, I see. Yeah I don't think there are no nazis in SD, but it's so hard to know for sure. Like there are also lots of folks that are nothing more than xenophobic and don't want brown people in their neighborhoods, but don't go further than that.

It's still significantly different than the "massive movement of Nazism" the other poster tried to use in an attempt to defend the US, I think.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
All right, I see. Yeah I don't think there are no nazis in SD, but it's so hard to know for sure. Like there are also lots of folks that are nothing more than xenophobic and don't want brown people in their neighborhoods, but don't go further than that.

It's still significantly different than the "massive movement of Nazism" the other poster tried to use in an attempt to defend the US, I think.

If you think I was seriously defending the US, you should take a look at my posts in Etc.

My point was that people try to act like racism in Europe "doesn't count" for whatever reason and it's bullshit.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's pretty simple. I'm a black dude, and a light skinned black dude. I love my Miles Morales Spider-Man costume, but you know what I don't do when I go to a convention wearing my costume with the mask off? Painting my skin darker, or adding a hair piece to look more like the comic/animated version of Miles. I just wear the fucking costume, because that's more than enough to convey the character I'm cosplaying as.

If I were to wear a Peter Parker Spidey Suit, or an Ant-Man suit, I wouldn't paint my skin white so I could look more like the comic versions of the characters. Go to just about any non-white cosplayer's page on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, whatever, and you'll see that practically all of them just wear the costume of the character they're cosplaying. And you know what? That doesn't change the fact that people are like, "Oh, that's Phoenix. Oh that's Psylocke. Oh, that's Cyclops." Skin color is not a costume. Unless you're cosplaying Gamora, Drax, or any number of alien characters that don't have a traditional skin tone. When it comes to real world ethnicities in cosplaying, the rule is simple: Just Don't Do It. If you're white, and want to cosplay as Blade or Black Panther, go right ahead. Just don't paint your skin color black. The costume will do more than enough to get across who you are. My skin tone is not a costume you can just wash off. It's insulting to dismiss it as such.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
If you think I was seriously defending the US, you should take a look at my posts in Etc.

My point was that people try to act like racism in Europe "doesn't count" for whatever reason and it's bullshit.
Oh then please do that without doing massive exaggerations. Because it looked like you were doing that for deflection.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What is the socially acceptable solution here? Is she not allowed to cosplay the character, period? Wouldn't it be more unacceptable if she made the character white?
Is cosplaying limited to your own ethnicity these days?

I refuse to believe this is a genuine question. Think about it for more than 2s and you'll arrive at the obvious conclusion.