• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WB coders:
"Doesn't look like anything to me."

tenor.gif

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
When I downloaded it, I thought it looked a little TOO close to Fallout Shelter, but I thought it was just a genre they were going for. No way in hell did I except it to be THIS close.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that they didn't just start over on the WestWorld thing and instead relied on the Bethesda codebase, the core concept is not exactly hard to copy.
Why throw out your game engine and recreate it from scratch with each game? That doesn't make sense, it'd be a waste of time and money. Copying game-design concepts doesn't save any programming time at all.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why throw out your game engine and recreate it from scratch with each game? That doesn't make sense, it'd be a waste of time and money. Copying game-design concepts doesn't save any programming time at all.

Because that game engine and related code is the property of Bethesda, just because you can access it doesn't mean you are cleared to use it or parts of the code. It's not good business sense to base your products on things you have no right to publish, it's a huge liability that could bite you in the rear if you get caught like these guys might have been.

It's not about throwing out code every time you want to create something like it, it's about ensuring ownership of said code so they are actually able to reuse it. If they are legally unable to use that code, then they are forced to either license it from Bethesda or write their own version of it.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Wow. I played this game and thought it couldn't be any more lazy and unambitious. Honestly, fuck this game. It's easily the worst ive played this year.

Oct 28, 2017
They are in the suit as well. WB is in the suit because if it's true, they're the ones making the money off of Bethesda's code, whether they knew it or not.

That's not true at all. They're in the suit so that Bethesda can determine how much WB knew about all this so they can see if they are liable. WB won't lose money if Behavior did it all themselves. Behavior will just be on the line for a heck of a lot of money and will undoubtedly have to close down.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they are legally unable to use that code, then they are forced to either license it from Bethesda or write their own version of it.

I mean... thats the issue with allowing code to be "copyrighted".
If you give a programmer a job to do, hes gonna code it one way.
If you take that code away and tell him to do it again... he's gonna code it the same way.
even if you tell him "And don't make it like the previous version" there's only so many ways you can actually write code, and some of those possible ways are straight up bad code

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
"Teacher, I promise, I didn't cheat!"
"Really, Joey.... then why did you both miss all the same questions with all the same wrong answers?"
"...."

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I just tried the West World game, it is a re-skin of Fallout Shelter for sure. Not surprised they are getting sued.

ReginOfFire

Oct 29, 2017
This is actually where Bethesda Montreal came from. After having Behavior make Fallout Shelter, they poached 40 staff members from the company to start the new studio.

It's weird to me that they didn't sue Ubisoft though given Ubisoft hired Behavior to make an Assassin's Creed version of the same thing.

WB got rekt no two ways about it

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... thats the issue with allowing code to be "copyrighted".
If you give a programmer a job to do, hes gonna code it one way.
If you take that code away and tell him to do it again... he's gonna code it the same way.
even if you tell him "And don't make it like the previous version" there's only so many ways you can actually write code, and some of those possible ways are straight up bad code

Absolutely agree, it's a very valid argument that you would write code in a very similar manner the second time around. The problem isn't really the concept of code itself, it's the structure and function of the code that is suspect here since it reproduces the same bugs as what Bethesda put out, it stands to reason that things would have functioned somewhat differently if they had to make their own interpretation of Bethesda's code instead of presumably reusing it as is.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hard-pressed to think of a publisher I have a lesser opinion of than WB. What a difference from a number of years ago.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The games looked very similar. I even thought they were developed by the same developer...

Guess this clears up why they look identical lol.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically a developer re-used the code they wrote, and now two publishers are suing each other.

I don't really see how Warner did anything wrong here, honestly.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's not true at all. They're in the suit so that Bethesda can determine how much WB knew about all this so they can see if they are liable. WB won't lose money if Behavior did it all themselves. Behavior will just be on the line for a heck of a lot of money and will undoubtedly have to close down.

What's your source on this? In book publishing the publisher is absolutely responsible if their author plagiarizes. I'm curious how copyright law affects code differently.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Don't fuck with them Bethesda lawyers man.

Seems highly unlikely that Bethesda would just sue the developer and let the game continue to make money whilst using their technology without some sort of reimbursement and likely either forced licensing of the tech or shutting down the game. WB will definitely be affected.