• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...aims-westworld-game-uses-fallout-shelter-code

Bethesda is reportedly suing Warner Bros. over the Westworld mobile game, which it claims uses Fallout Shelter code.

According to TMZ, Bethesda is suing Warner Bros. and Behaviour Interactive, the developer of the game. In court documents, Bethesda reveal it contracted Behaviour in 2014 to work on Fallout Shelter before Behaviour went on to make the Westworld game for Warner.

So, how does Bethesda know Westworld includes Fallout Shelter code, apart from the, ahem, surface level similarities? Because the same bugs that were in an early version of Fallout Shelter are also in Westworld. Oops!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even realize there was a Westworld mobile game! Hearing about the bug is pretty damning.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually where Bethesda Montreal came from. After having Behavior make Fallout Shelter, they poached 40 staff members from the company to start the new studio.

It's weird to me that they didn't sue Ubisoft though given Ubisoft hired Behavior to make an Assassin's Creed version of the same thing.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Behavior (the devs of this game) developed Fallout Shelter though? Makes sense they'd reuse some of the code for a game similar to the one they made.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Now I'm dreaming of a BGS Westworld developed console/PC game.

How incredibly careless by the developers of the Westworld mobile game. Bethesda has great (and litigious) IP protectors.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
So, how does Bethesda know Westworld includes Fallout Shelter code, apart from the, ahem, surface level similarities? Because the same bugs that were in an early version of Fallout Shelter are also in Westworld. Oops!
God is hiring Onion writers to pen the reality script, I swear.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
tenor.gif

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a plagiarized game. It's just the same game on two different timelines.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're probably going to argue that it's their standard studio technology and not stuff they wrote for Fallout Shelter specifically.

"Haha jokes on you Bethesda, we were reusing code funded by someone else to make Fallout Shelter even. Shit started way before you guys. ;)"

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
"Haha jokes on you Bethesda, we were reusing code funded by someone else to make Fallout Shelter even. Shit started way before you guys. ;)"
I mean, that might not be the worst idea if they want a settlement, since it potentially opens ZeniMax to litigation for code theft on the same basis that ZeniMax is suing Warner Bros, and there's a heck of a lot more Fallout Shelter revenue to lose than Westworld.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda leaves bugs in their games for the same reason cartographers leave fake islands in their maps.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Must have been something in their contract about Bethesda completely owning all of the code, which is strange to me. I worked for a "work for hire" developer for 12 years, making games for many of the biggest publishers, and every game we made was based on the code from the previous game, regardless of which publisher that game was for. I mean, we upgraded our game engine with each new game, we weren't going to throw away that progress. Though to be fair, I can't think of any time we had two successive games be very similar, except when they truly were sequels.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
This is actually where Bethesda Montreal came from. After having Behavior make Fallout Shelter, they poached 40 staff members from the company to start the new studio.

It's weird to me that they didn't sue Ubisoft though given Ubisoft hired Behavior to make an Assassin's Creed version of the same thing.
Do Bethesda sell games on Uplay? If they do maybe they don't want to sue and potentially burn any bridges with them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

probably because Ubisoft had more oversight with the coding?

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I love how companies think they can still get away with shit these days. 9 times out of 10 you are caught out if you do anything wrong. Why take the risk?

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like a big fuckup on Behavior's part. Is Warner Bros only liable because they own behavior? Is this like that episode of Silicon Valley where Dinesh makes a massive legal fuckup and wiggles his way out of it by selling his company to Hooli?

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that they didn't just start over on the WestWorld thing and instead relied on the Bethesda codebase, the core concept is not exactly hard to copy.

I do wonder how much Warner knew about this and how they will reapond to this, if it turns out that the studio really reused Bethesda's code.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Wondering if it's because they can sue WB inside the U.S.