• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 31, 2021
I want themes back, there's too much unused space on the screen. They need to add headphone output switching back to the quick menu instead of hiding it all the way down in the settings and for the love of god change the long press and short press back to how it was before.

I could be thinking of something else, but headphone output switching is in the quick menu???

xostTcG.jpg

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still unsure when I need to hold, tap, or double tap the Playstation button.

Oct 30, 2017
It's significantly worse than its own predecessor and both of its contemporaries, so how about we start there
I think it's way ahead of the PS3 and PS4 OS. PS3 had a terrible store, the in game XMB was largely pointless. So many things you could click on during game but couldn't actually do during game. Way too much screen real estate for pictures, movies, video, web browsing. The vertical game list wasn't as nice as the tile approach there is now.

PS4 was also disjointed. The tap of the PS button offering features got better over time but it wasn't always like that. But the tap of the PS button never makes you feel like you're far away from your game. There's so much you can do without pulling away from a game.
The integrated store is nice, too as well as the quick share features. And the shareplay function is light years ahead.

With the new update bringing vertical trophies, I think the most important thing left is just folders and other organizational tools. It'll come.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I enjoy the visuals of the activity cards and showing my progress for certain chapters. I enjoy consume it but i technically dont click on them. I've used the feature where you can watch your friends steam but its a bit cumbersome to activate and theres a lot of restrictions to it

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I have never used them so far (PS5 owner for 3~ weeks). When I saw that for the cards stuff you need PS+, which I don't use nor care about, I felt like I was in a F2P game or something.

I really don't see the point of scrapping the old UI. Themes were really cool and it was mature and with all the features one would need.

Change for the sake of change is useless.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's way ahead of the PS3 and PS4 OS. PS3 had a terrible store, the in game XMB was largely pointless. So many things you could click on during game but couldn't actually do during game. Way too much screen real estate for pictures, movies, video, web browsing. The vertical game list wasn't as nice as the tile approach there is now.

PS4 was also disjointed. The tap of the PS button offering features got better over time but it wasn't always like that. But the tap of the PS button never makes you feel like you're far away from your game. There's so much you can do without pulling away from a game.
The integrated store is nice, too as well as the quick share features. And the shareplay function is light years ahead.

With the new update bringing vertical trophies, I think the most important thing left is just folders and other organizational tools. It'll come.
I'm sure it'll improve over time, but right now everyone I've talked to and most people in this thread agree that it's worse than PS4.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Try 8 days later. I've never bothered using the activity cards.
I am in the same boat - used most of the new features once or twice to see what they did, have literally never used them again. I still try to turn off the system the wrong way every.single.time - because for some reason changing the perfectly intuitive way they had it set up before to a method that required three extra button presses made a world of sense.

Incredible machine, fast UI, worse UX - some baffling decisions.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
As time goes on I'm only disliking the PS5 UI more and more.
  • The press/hold functionality of the PS button is unintuitive as hell and I don't know why. At first I thought I just had to get used to the change coming from PS4. But it's been 10 months and I am still doing it wrong every single time.
  • For all the talk of social features, the PS5 feels really disconnected. I have no clue what my friends have been playing, what trophies they have unlocked recently, what games they have bought. Even seeing which of my friends are online takes way too many button presses.
  • Speaking of button presses, lots of common actions take too many of them. Turn off your console? Look at your trophies? Leaving a party chat? It's all more cumbersome than on PS4.
  • I play my PS5 a ton but I don't think I have ever clicked on an activity card. Wasted space if you ask me.
  • The store is an improvement compared to PS4, it's easy-to-use and snappy. But it's a mess. They need to start grouping all the DLC, in-game currency, and Premium Edition shit under a single game icon. Browsing through the Summer Sale and scrolling past 10 icons for The Sims 4 or Warframe or whatever is just bad design.

Last edited:

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I don't know if any games did that already, but I can see Activity Cards being useful in a "the story so far" fashion. Just to make sure you're caught up in games you may have forgotten what is going on, either because you've been away for a bit or just side-questing for a good while.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
It's a shocking UI. Skipping song on Spotify, finding messages and trophies all somehow got more complicated between consoles. Staggering failure of how a UI should innovate imo