• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
All credit to Septimius from the *redacted* forum:
Essentially:
  • 10-20x more posts here than there
  • More new members here than new posts there
I know that we don't want to make conversation focused on the old forum, but it is crazy to see all of the posts from <.1 post per day users celebrating how the forum could "focus on good discussion" now that everyone moved over to EtcetEra.
Great, you could have those discussions... if you weren't a bunch of lurkers who read the content that the more active users created.

I've been back and forth between GAF and here and was hesitant to leave the site, but at this point it seems like there's not much there anymore. I'm happy to be here, and really appreciaste the general civility of the conversations so far and the transparency of the moderation.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you all think that this positive vibe can be sustained? I surely hope so, but I don't really know what could be done to ensure that.
Not having mods that ban arbitrarily like at the "bad place" helps make people feel better about where they're posting. The mod and admin situation here to this point has been excellent.

AV_Fanz

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
my biggest ask or wish for the new forum is that fans of all consoles/platform/games gets the same amount of respect. I hoping fans of even less popular platforms like the Ouya gets the same amount of basic respect as fans of popular platforms or AAA games.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Not having mods that ban arbitrarily like at the "bad place" helps make people feel better about where they're posting. The mod and admin situation here to this point has been excellent.
Yeah I had some 30,000 posts and then made one bad sarcastic joke and got permabanned with a nice f* you message. Now I don't think I deserved any kind of special treatment, but you'd think after 30k of what I hope was mostly civil and constructivr posts a mod would at least ask you what you meant with something. That indiscriminate banning by faceless mods occasionally made it veer from people being mindful of their language to a kind of communist rule where everyone was piling on the person that made a gaffe, to exonerate themselves. So far this forum feels like a breath of fresh air. It's a social contract: you be transparent and positive, we'll be too.

Now unlike many others I was never resentful of my ban or of the forum itself. I thought I was posting too much anyway, so it felt like a good moment for some cold turkey to shift focus more to my actual life. I lurked every now and then because I still really liked the community. But I also think the low number of posts over there is currently their fault. After a year I tried to sign up again. That was six weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing since. This forum I sign up and get approved the same day. That could already have been close to a thousand posts on the other forum if they let me back in.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wish I knew how many of you are being sarcastic and how many are really that gullible. :D

In all seriousness, there's at least a dev from Zeboyd Games in ResetEra (not sure if Robert himself, they don't have the same username).

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty neat actually.

I actually liked Too Human and sunk quite a few hours into it (although the death animation was about 5x longer than it should have been), so good to see that.
I'm still considering getting a 360 for this game, it's dirt cheap and I doubt backwards compatibility will ever be a thing. Thinking about it, whatever happened to the original Playstation version of Too Human? Wasn't that game nearly finished before it was canned? Wonder if that still exists.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017

That is the nature of moderation. It is inevitable as human bias and emotions come into it. Think of all the forums you've been on, even the other place. Why did moderation change? Mods are people too. Maybe it's a bad day, maybe it's a personal issue that affected them more, maybe they know the people involved at a better level. So far it's great here but I am certain some issues will creep up.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That is the nature of moderation. It is inevitable as human bias and emotions come into it. Think of all the forums you've been on, even the other place. Why did moderation change? Mods are people too. Maybe it's a bad day, maybe it's a personal issue that affected them more, maybe they know the people involved at a better level. So far it's great here but I am certain some issues will creep up.
Over there they started hiding behind an anonymous "bot" mod. Their mod messages weren't public for good reason - they were often childish, toxic and condescending. That isn't happening here since the ban/warning messages are public. If you don't like what you see a mod saying to a fellow user, say something. The worst part about over there was people worshipping mods and cheering on the banning of fellow users. Completely toxic environment.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if Oriorio made it over here? His walls are too damn good to be stuck in the past.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Over there they started hiding behind an anonymous "bot" mod. Their mod messages weren't public for good reason - they were often childish, toxic and condescending. That isn't happening here since the ban/warning messages are public. If you don't like what you see a mod saying to a fellow user, say something. The worst part about over there was people worshipping mods and cheering on the banning of fellow users. Completely toxic environment.

Again the goal is to reset here and I agree with you. Already we have a more equitable warning system and more recourse etc. But again people are human. Moderation is time consuming and volunteer etc. I disagreed with some bans I got myself.

senjutsusage

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm so damn happy to see Denis Dyack here. I was beyond pissed at the way he was treated on that other forum. Guy was simply passionate and excited about his project, and just wanted to engage with fans and try to make believers out of those who weren't convinced. What I saw take place with him there was, to me, easily one of the lowest points of following the game industry to that extent. The level of disrespect was just outrageous. It's the kind of thing that, for any level headed person, would greatly discourage them from wanting to engage with the community if that kind of thing is possible.

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017

while i completely agree with you, time will tell if there will be big actual difference. Main problem was always related to something political lately, and thats hard to mod in current political climate. In the end, I think most of the people that got banned there will get banned here, eventually.

In any case, I am here for the (gaming) community and not because of the mods or owners. It is community that makes it alive.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I'm so damn happy to see Denis Dyack here. I was beyond pissed at the way he was treated on that other forum. Guy was simply passionate and excited about his project, and just wanted to engage with fans and try to make believers out of those who weren't convinced. What I saw take place with him there was, to me, easily one of the lowest points of following the game industry to that extent. The level of disrespect was just outrageous. It's the kind of thing that, for any level headed person, would greatly discourage them from wanting to engage with the community if that kind of thing is possible.
Could you PM me a link? I'm curious.