• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yep love this place. I was legitimately worried about things after GAF. Losing those communities would have been horrifying. Now I have ERA and SLAENT for my sports and Im better than ever.

Aahaha everyone welcome. Dyack will always be a funny guy to me. He was one of the few devs that would post on the IGN boards way back when. It was insane back then to be able to ask questions to a dev directly outside of a gaming show.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'll be honest, even though I've been working a lot and haven't had much time for forums, I felt lost when GAF went down. I basically spent the last five years of my life there. Being able to discuss this hobby in the in-depth way the users there do had become something I had taken for granted. Reddit/GameFAQs/other outlets just don't have the same vibe, not at all. Too many immature, toxic, annoying people. Basically, GAF had a lot less goobs than other places, and the level of discourse was higher in general. Getting news from all over the internet at the same time or sometimes even faster is also a huge plus. Of course, it wasn't perfect by any means... as can be seen by how it imploded, how the different sort of goobs revealed themselves in full, and how people have voiced their issues with the site since migrating here.

I'm really glad this place exists. Also, I'm finally here. Missed my discord code, had to get a new e-mail, had to wait for approval (which was lightning fast compared to GAF)... but I'm here.

Patrick S.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stolen from a thread on GAF opened by Septimius, who I just saw is now a junior again, even though he has over eight thousand posts:

Mod edit: We don't need this here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
Stolen from a thread on GAF opened by Septimius, who I just saw is now a junior again, even though he has over eight thousand posts:

posts.png

posts_overlayed.png

ratio.png

members_vs_posts.png
This was all very interesting. I hope people see it as a study into the growth of this forum, and not some petty pissing competition with the old site. There are some interesting correlations to be made, particularly with the impact of the different registration phases on both sites.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm happy this place is a thing. The other site was a daily thing for me even though I'm mostly a lurker, but after all that went down I can't go there anymore. This place is already booming with activity.

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
I had been a GAFfer for five years, yet only posted shy of 200 times. Conversations always moved so quickly that I prefered just to follow along. But this is a fresh start, so perhaps I'll be less of a lurker this time around.

Zeshakag

Oct 28, 2017
I was really impressed by how well the site staff pulled it off. Something done so fast, especially after a big community implosion could have been derailed by many things. ResetEra is my new home, and seems way better than GAF already. Nothing is perfect forever, but these initial days have been as good as it could ever be.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm happy you all are enjoying the new digs, but let's keep the comparisons to NeoGAF out of here, all right?

Nausetsunrise

Oct 28, 2017
Had been a lurker for the last couple of years over there, always wishing to be a part of it all. Great to actually be involved here!

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought I would be able to visit both forums regularly. But jeebus GAF is so dead right now its depressing. I have a feeling e3 won't even kill the site during the conferences. Resetera is my go to site now.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I'm happy you all are enjoying the new digs, but let's keep the comparisons to NeoGAF out of here, all right?
I don't understand this mindset. It is a part of this forum's genesis. Why hide away from it? I get it, it's a reset, but we shouldn't ignore the past. You know, learn from past mistakes and stuff.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is my new home. I'll be posting much more frequently once a Dark Theme for mobile devices is implemented!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this mindset. It is a part of this forum's genesis. Why hide away from it? I get it, it's a reset, but we shouldn't ignore the past. You know, learn from past mistakes and stuff.

I think it's to avoid dick waving contests. Things like how much faster we gain members, or how much better it looks. Stuff like this isn't really worth discussing for the most part. Maybe if it was something like how much more transparent we are with moderation, then that is worth discussing.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
There's a difference between talking about how to make the current place better, and engaging in a dick-waving contest with the home we left behind. They'll do their thing, let's do ours.

EDIT: Cow Mengde's got it.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that impresses me the most is how the server is handling all of this with no issues at all. So many users and posts coming in at once, I was really expecting it to stay down for a while in the first few days, but nope, everything worked perfectly.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We just need a theme that matches the old site and it will be perfect. As it is it bothers my eyes for some reason.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All credit to Septimius from the *redacted* forum:

Mod Edit: We don't need this here.

I am having trouble understanding the top 2 graphs. What is the change behind the Gaf data?

In the top image, Era has more activity but in the second image Gaf has more activity. What is the difference in data?

Edit: Sorry, Mod.

Last edited:

Suur Tõll

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
The member that used to make those every month is sticking around at GAF, so someone else will need to take up the mantle to do these.
There has been a pickup thread for days already. Additionally, the member in question (MarkMan) has also made his way here and has promised to make the next thread. See:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-late-october-november-pick-ups-2017.1040/#post-130360

So it's all good. :)

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
when did markman say he was staying over there?

There has been a pickup thread for days already. Additionally, the member in question (MarkMan) has also made his way here and has promised to make the next thread. See:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-late-october-november-pick-ups-2017.1040/#post-130360

So it's all good. :)
Nice, my bad. I recall seeing him post something along those lines in the old thread.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I believe one of these doctors is an imposter. I also believe a game of Dr Mario is in order to establish credentials.
Why not let me perform surgery on you to see for yourself?

(The imposter would be me. Since I got perma'd on the other forum I figured it would probably be better to start with a clean slate and a new username. But after reading Shinobi's post about Resetera being a hard reset for everyone, I'm trying to get my old account name back, so drmario can continue to be drmario)

A game of Dr Mario would also work for me though.