• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Game streaming is coming. It's been coming since before we all laughed at OnLive and ignored PlayStation Now, and those too-little-too-soon gambits did nothing to impede its inevitable arrival. It is the future, in the sense that a credible and widely-used iteration of game streaming technology is around the corner and is something everyone reading this will probably end up using. Whether this future will prove mutually exclusive with other futures - those of games consoles and of digital platforms like Steam - is much more debatable. But it's coming regardless.
The games industry was unequivocal on that fact at E3 this year. Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot mentioned it to anyone who would listen, while EA promised its own service tied into EA Access. More consequentially (with the greatest respect to EA), Phil Spencer said Microsoft was planning an Xbox-branded game streaming service.
Earlier this week, we heard the first details about what Microsoft is calling Project xCloud, in apparent response to last week's announcement of a long-rumoured game streaming offering from Google. Google's Project Stream is already in testing in the US; xCloud hardware is being installed in data centres, but public testing won't begin until next year.

So, if game streaming fulfils its potential and follows the trajectory of other streamed media, the seemingly modest and speculative announcements of the last seven days could prove to be momentous indeed. We could be witnessing, in the early days of Project Stream and Project xCloud, the foundation of ubiquitous game platforms of the future with the potential to rival or even sweep aside players such as PlayStation and Steam. After all, who watches DVDs any more? Or buys CDs?

Well, some do, and this is the first clue that this video game platform revolution could be quite different to those that came before it and perhaps not quite so all-consuming. Particularly relevant has been the rise of vinyl records in the face of digital and streaming music. Vinyl, with its warm analogue sound and large, beautiful packaging, provides a tangibly different experience to streaming, which is more than you can honestly say of CDs. It's more tactile and intimate.
I think the same is likely to be true of games, where hardcore fans and competitive players are highly attuned to the responsiveness of the controls. No matter how good streaming gets, local gaming will always feel different. You can imagine some players resolutely sticking to local hardware, while others might prefer it for some games (FIFA, Street Fighter) while being happy to enjoy a slower-paced experience like Assassin's Creed over the net.

Full article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-11-google-and-xbox-just-started-the-next-platform-war

I for one, will definitely be sticking with full physical consoles and physical games, which I expect to last at least through the 2020s decade. I definitely want to try Microsoft's xCloud streaming with the Scarlet 'lite' console, even though I plan to get the traditional full next gen Xbox Scarlett, and PS5, at launch.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
At least in the US, the infrastructure just isn't ready. For zero latency streaming in lossless 4k quality, we have some time to go.

Google and Microsoft can duke it out all they want, but even with the most robust streaming platform there will still be latency & packet loss..

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
As long as ISPs run the underlying network game streaming isn't going to get far. This goes doubly in the US where Ajit Pai has given the ISPs free reign to do whatever.
Imagine trying to stream a 100hr JRPG, just think of the bandwidth costs.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been elaborating on this on the Microsoft thread earlier today. What's great about Microsoft's approach is that it doesn't kill any existing approach. Do you want maximum fidelity gaming? Classic consoles will keep on existing. Do you want to stream? You can buy a specific device for it or use your own. Do you want to buy games? Physical, digital, rent: options are available as before. Do you prefer a cheap subscription? All of Microsoft's first parties will also be day 1 on Game Pass and will not be removed, either. Everybody gets their preferred way of enjoying content. I don't see myself playing Call Of Duty online on my phone on a small screen and with input lag, but I could mess around in Forza Horizon destroying signs or grinding in some RPG. The two experiences can and will coexist for me.

Oct 25, 2017
This is unlikely to succeed for a long time. The only form of game streaming I have done is PS4 Remote Play, and that's with my 100mbps upload connection being the uploader with nobody else getting served, physical locations being only 200-300km apart. The input lag in Remote Play through the Internet is manageable in single player action games like Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed, but games with short reaction times like Call of Duty or Trackmania Turbo (or any racing game really) are impossible.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least in the US, the infrastructure just isn't ready. For zero latency streaming in lossless 4k quality, we have some time to go.

Google and Microsoft can duke it out all they want, but even with the most robust streaming platform there will still be latency & packet loss..
You'll never have no latency... the very idea of distance between you and the server.
But there are ways for them to mitigate latency, packet loss, and compression artifacts. Look at some of Netflix's UHD content, the ones with 6000 mbits look so fucking good, and to me personally almost as good as BluRay. It's only in the dark scenes or when you get close to the screen that the artifacting is noticeable, but from a distance it looks so clean, they're using some magic compression for sure.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Good luck selling any streaming gaming device in third world countries.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The one who'd cater to my region, or even better, my country, will get my support as a customer.

If you're only catering to NA/EU market then you can just eff off.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been digital all this gen on X1 and PS4 due to cheaper costs and I look forward to a future of just streaming with little or no download of games.

I might add that I'm using PS Now on PC/PS4 with very little noticeable lag.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Begun, the streaming wars have.
bnh8g1nicaezhlrcec6o.png

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably the futur or at least a part of it (just like Netflix for movies now, but there are still physical DVDs and Blu-rays and these won't go away anytime soon).

But more like the 10-20 years from now future rather than next-gen-future. Internet infrastructure just isn't ready for this.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is why it's great that they produce consoles, they release their games on PC and they'll soon offer a streaming option. Some countries will have 5G soon, some people have 200/300mbps Internet at home and this will be awesome for them. Those stuck with lesser connection can keep on gaming like always though.

Oct 25, 2017
This is unlikely to succeed for a long time. The only form of game streaming I have done is PS4 Remote Play, and that's with my 100mbps upload connection being the uploader with nobody else getting served, physical locations being only 200-300km apart. The input lag in Remote Play through the Internet is manageable in single player action games like Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed, but games with short reaction times like Call of Duty or Trackmania Turbo (or any racing game really) are impossible.
Remote Play isn't representative of the tech in streaming services.

Nov 12, 2017
Why is PlayStation Now constantly ignored in these discussions?
Sony infrastructure can't be compared to Ms / Google or any of top players (isn't either In the first top 20 I think) and also because first party games aren't there on day one
Google and Ms will both very likely have the half latency (or less) than psnow
Very different serivces

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Will the casual masses care about zero latency and 4k lossless though? Those of us who do care, the people who are on ResetEra and the like, are in miniority after all. Just like Oculus has Oculus Go ad Oculus Rift for VR, Xbox and Playstation could have different versions for different audiences, providing that both audiences are large enough.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Well, I definitely won't switch my gaming habits to streaming, but I would love to be able to use to progress in my games during idle times when I'm not at home.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Yeah, I find this strange as well. I do understand the idea that Microsoft and Google maybe have the resources to do it better, but it's almost like it's a footnote that Sony's been in this race for several years already.

Nov 12, 2017

5g is coming and will solve this problem...also most (and I'm saying MOST) gamers don't care about being "hardcore" as most (and I mean MOST) didn't care about vinyls for music

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All that matters is streaming becoming "good enough" and convenient for the average consumer. Once that happens, the game changes.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Sony infrastructure can't be compared to Ms / Google or any of top players (isn't either In the first top 20 I think) and also because first party games aren't there on day one
Very different serivces

On what is this based? Link?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I hope PS Now continues to grow. I've been enjoying my time with it checking out a lot of smaller titles I missed out on.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't see how these will succeeee people loved you downloaded on game pass and complained PSNow didn't do that so now it does

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Reminds me of how set top box were going to challenge console gaming cuz you know apple TV, amazon fire stick and chrome cast and what have you Lol.

I don't doubt this is the future but it aint the near future and it aint going to be cheap either. All you need to do is look at the content wars of the current mainstream streaming services.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Apple will go ahead and get in bed with Sony.

They won't allow Google, and probably won't allow MS on their platform. Sony is the only independent.

Last edited:

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

I don't think anyone said anything about lossless... if they can get the latency sorted then it'll be no different to streaming 4k video from Netflix.

Yes 4k bluray vs 4k streaming is about half the bitrate and I don't think anyone assumed it to be any different for gaming? If you want the best quality, buy the bluray.(aka non streamed version).

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in a third world country where 10Mb is pretty much the minimum you can sign for, and Microsoft has a datacenter here (unlike Sony), so we're set on both latency and bandwidth concerns. Plus data caps aren't a thing here either, at least not in practice.

10Mb and no caps aren't high standards, it's US that's falling behind.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very different serivces

Lol based on what exactly? Money doesn't automatically mean success. This is the company who can't even get game installation right this gen.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in a third world country where 10Mb is pretty much the minimum you can sign for, and Microsoft has a datacenter here (unlike Sony), so we're set on both latency and bandwidth concerns. Plus data caps aren't a thing here either, at least not in practice.

10Mb and no caps aren't high standards, it's US that's falling behind.
That's my main concern, not bandwith or data caps. Not every country has servers and latency would be a nightmare.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I will have unlimited 5G within 2 years. There is a reason why they are pushing this right now.

This is most likely the elephant in the room. 5G should be anything up to 10Gbps, up from 100Mbps with 4G. Apparently the pings could be as low as 1ms, which sounds both insane and very unlikely.

But basically, if 5G is even close to it's intended performance figures, then streaming is going to be almost indistinguishable from your home console.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Just because Psnow has been out for awhile now and a lot of ppl like to discount it. Ppl also push narratives.

Bottom line it's been out several years, works good for many (often times I swore I was playing a disc game), on consoles it is established and it is a streaming service which others will compete with. Sony hasn't added day one exclusives only because there wasn't a need to but as competition continues they surely will. I remember few years ago ppl claimed ps4 games weren't on psnow initially because the infrastructure couldn't handle it but we all know how that turned out.

I look forward to the competition and competitive pricing. The service with best price, minimal latency and exclusives will get my money. Microsoft and others joining in boxes well for consumers.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Google and Xbox just started the next platform war...

And Sony and Nintendo will emerge victorious.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Because, like crossplay, even though Sony has done it for years they seemingly can't stay ahead of the narrative. There were some people on this very forum who thought Fortnite had no crossplay at all on PS4. Even the way articles were worded (PS4 finally gets crossplay) reinforces that. Now we have this new push into game streaming. Something Sony has been doing for years yet now is completely ignored in favor of the new hotness.

I blame both the press and Sony for this. The press because they just want to hype new shit and Sony because of their infuriating half steps they take on everything outside of the main PlayStation brand (Vita, PS TV, PS Now, etc).