• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it. Local streaming will always be superior to remote streaming, and in best case scenarios, even with Wi-Fi.
Yea - to be clear I'm not sure what protocol the device is using, but it's effectively latency free - I've tested it side-by side with wired connection (the codec is doing some clever stuff with screen refreshes that is noticeable if the connection is disrupted for some reason).

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sony makes no money selling consoles, so it is wrong argument.... also what imaginary full set of ps4 rivaling games will google offer and at what prices?
Sony's business model centers around you buying a Playstation console. Buying an Xbox instead, and then streaming individual Playstation exclusives while buying everything else from Microsoft doesn't fit with their business model. Microsoft, on the other hand, are perfectly happy to allow you to play all Xbox games from any device so long as you pay them a subscription. That's partially why all MS first party games are on PC, and why they'll be on this streaming service -- MS additionally have stated that they want all Xbox One games to be available via this streaming service.
Why should Sony have to release "every single PlayStation game" on PS Now on the day of release?
This "streaming war" is about creating a situation where you can play all the hottest games without owning Microsoft or Sony's physical hardware. It's a jarring slap in the face to the underlying "exclusives sell hardware" business model, replacing it with a "exclusives sell hardware but more importantly sell subscriptions". That is a significant threat to the business model of both Sony and Nintendo. It's not necessarily bad for them as companies once they adapt to it, but it's not how they've done things. They have sold hardware platforms. Google and MS are pushing for abstract software platforms where the hardware doesn't really matter. Can you imagine a world where buying an Xbox or a Playstation makes no difference to the games you can play? That's rather disruptive. Google, on the other hand, are unpredictable. We don't know what kind of content model they're gonna use. They are apparently interested in establishing/buying their own development studios, though.

Also, as has been mentioned in the thread, Nvidia are currently the top game streaming provider. It's just that they've failed to ignite the imaginations of the casual, console-oriented market.
PlayStation Now in its present form is not meant to replace PlayStation Store, which is the current destination for newly released games. Perhaps there will be more overlap in the future. If Google and/or Microsoft can truly deliver a high number of compelling first-party and third-party games with a streaming service at a reasonable price, then I'm sure Sony will aim to do the same.
As I mentioned, though, there's an ideological difference between the companies. Sony want you to buy a Playstation. Nintendo wants you to buy a Switch. Microsoft kinda want you to buy an Xbox but they also want you to be able to play all your Xbox games on your phone. You buy a game once, and you can access it across all these different platforms.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I'll probably become a retro gamer once the full on streaming boxes come out.

I'm not a fan of digitally downloaded games, but I can tolerate them. Streaming though? Nope. FOH.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
These issues are more of a problem with the service not being popular enough rather than Sony being incompetent. They didn't expand the service because it wouldn't have been profitable to. They discontinued the service on those devices because nobody was using the service on those devices. Calling these moves incompetent only belies your perspectives as outsiders. Only Sony has all of the numbers and at some point they need to stop throwing good money after bad and focus on other parts of the business
If they are facing this issue with that mentality than it's reason alone to write them off.

They don't deserve to be handed support just by showing up, they have to make it worth it. Ps Now launched with only Ps3 games, a small collection even, limited to 720p, with widespread issues with image quality and response., also with extremely low availabilitywith apps for TVs, but phones, or even Pc initially, and gregarious pricing, not to mention that back then some titles were only available by directly renting instead of being part of the whole subscription.

Sure, they did improved the service, making it slightly more available, added ps4 games solved the pricing scheme... And some reports of even the response improving... But instead of expanding availability they reduced it, removing supported platforms, and the major improvement of the service since launch came after the competition brought a more competitive offering with gamepass, only then they started offering downloads.

I feel like I'm going in circles with these arguments, but to put it more directly Sony simply does not have a vision for the streaming future. They bought gaikai for whatever reason, but never realized it as a platform, and now Ms and Google are arriving with more interesting propositions.

Ms, by making the service essentially a streamable xbone console you can play from everywhere. And Google by offering a compelling platform others can use to create their own streaming service.

See the difference from Psnow and Gamepass, how both were announced, delivered, and expanded. You can see play anywhere, gamepass, and now Xcloud have a clear vision on where MS wants to take xbox. They are compliment each other and and points to the same direction they have been saying they want to go since Phil took over. Psnow seems it was just a thing Sony felt it would be nice to have, and now are trying to use it to increase their revenue now that the other player has show some pointers. Of course, the service that MS is providing could very well be provided by Sony too, and they have the PSone and Ps2 library to tap over, but it doesn't matter until they start investing and doing something with it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah it'll be interesting how this shakes out, especially since it will be running parallel to Microsoft's next console generation.